Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Moon-Moon? When did you get a modelling job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

don't look directly into the codpiece no don't[/timg]

Made of the finest ceramite.
(protecting the ability to produce heirs is very important to these people.)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Aw poo poo I looked directly into the codpiece.

Speaking of art, I just stumbled across the Fenrisian Wolf again, which I'd argue is some of the worst/best art that ever came out of the books. I always forget about it, then it takes me by surprise and I can't stop laughing.

Well I now know what they mean by "There are no Wolves on Fenris."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Good idea or bad idea

Rogue Trader campaign. Party is the 17-19th in line to inherit the Warrant of Trade. Upon their coming of age day or whatever plot device suits them, they inherit a ship! Much joy!

Except the crew are scrunts. Turns out, it's the ship no one in the family wants.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

LuiCypher posted:

Good idea or bad idea

Rogue Trader campaign. Party is the 17-19th in line to inherit the Warrant of Trade. Upon their coming of age day or whatever plot device suits them, they inherit a ship! Much joy!

Except the crew are scrunts. Turns out, it's the ship no one in the family wants.

Good idea, bad execution. Make it something other than scrunts.

Make it a ship full of ratling ratings.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Werix posted:

A ship full of drunken ratlings and grots. The grots are actually competent, but... grots.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chin up everything sucks posted:

A ship full of drunken ratlings and grots. The grots are actually competent, but... grots.

And the deck officers are ogryn.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

And the deck officers are ogryn.

WIth an especially advanced bone 'ead process preformed by a mad explorator in his lab in the bottom of the ship that isn't readily visible.

Who refuses to share any records of which ones have actually gone through the process and which haven't, citing that such things are not for the uninitiated to see. (He doesn't have any records.)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Just bring the ship into port and do the thing where they gas the entire ship to remove pests and warp mutants, except this time its abhumans. Recrew ship for pennies with normal people. :colbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Werix posted:

bad idea and bad execution, because the cheapest thing about a ship is always, always, always its crew, and if there's one thing the imperium doesn't lack, it's manpower

being given a crack crew and an absolute unbearable shitshow of a ship would be better, because you'd a) have massive scope for improvement, b) be locked in a small livable area with a very upset and very competent pool of murderous voidsmen, and c) it's an incredibly rich source of complications/adventure hooks

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I always view the dark decks as a fertile ground for adventures and looting. I love the idea of the ship being so big that large swathes of it can go unattended

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

bad idea and bad execution, because the cheapest thing about a ship is always, always, always its crew, and if there's one thing the imperium doesn't lack, it's manpower
It's a scrunt ship and it's been a scrunt ship for millenia. All of the thousands or millions of systems on board have been modified, broken, repaired and rebuilt many times over by generations of scrunts, all done according to what made sense to a scrunt at the time. They've got like a scrunty version of the AdMech going on where they have even less of an idea about what they're doing (they're scrunts) but sorta know how to keep it running. You can't remove the crew without rebuilding the ship pretty much from the ground up and that might take decades and cost incredible amounts of money.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 3, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man I haven't read the RT books in a long time. I remember the ship to ship combat being an unending nightmare to parse out and there really not being a whole lot for the non pilot/gunner to do. Between that and the bad old character advancement tables are really what hold me back from trying to make or play in a new RT game. It'd probably be easy enough to reskin DH2 Character Creation / skills / talents / combat rules into RT flavored stuff, but I keep having hangups about what to do with the ship to ship stuff.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah, that's why I don't run RT anymore. It has probably the best premise of any of the games but it's just a really bad game. Spaceships are such an integral part of it that I don't think a reskin of DH2 would be very satisfying.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Man I haven't read the RT books in a long time. I remember the ship to ship combat being an unending nightmare to parse out and there really not being a whole lot for the non pilot/gunner to do. Between that and the bad old character advancement tables are really what hold me back from trying to make or play in a new RT game. It'd probably be easy enough to reskin DH2 Character Creation / skills / talents / combat rules into RT flavored stuff, but I keep having hangups about what to do with the ship to ship stuff.

are there other rulesets you could just crib off? doesn't even have to be a very crunchy one - FATE or whatever

FATAL, maybe

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

are there other rulesets you could just crib off? doesn't even have to be a very crunchy one - FATE or whatever

I have been trying to talk people into using FATE for 40k games for a couple years now. Nobody is interested. :(

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Traveller :colbert:

Give them a white elephant, a crummy ship that is too prestigious for them to get rid of.
:catholic: Because it's a bequest from the Ecclesiarchy. Trying to replace any of the gold statues with actual equipment is like, double Heresy.
The Ecclesiarchy uses these bequests to retaliate against Rogue Traders that have been soaking them too much.
The ships are also a great for handing out sinecures to their supporters. Don't expect them to be brilliant at missionary work, but you can make some money back by shuttling them around to vote in conclaves.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Elukka posted:

It's a scrunt ship and it's been a scrunt ship for millenia. All of the thousands or millions of systems on board have been modified, broken, repaired and rebuilt many times over by generations of scrunts, all done according to what made sense to a scrunt at the time. They've got like a scrunty version of the AdMech going on where they have even less of an idea about what they're doing (they're scrunts) but sorta know how to keep it running. You can't remove the crew without rebuilding the ship pretty much from the ground up and that might take decades and cost incredible amounts of money.

Servitizes the scrunts, integrate into ship. Helm is just a bunch buttons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Servitizes the scrunts, integrate into ship. Helm is just a bunch buttons.

But after you servitizing the scrunts, or scrunting the servitors?
(horror ensues)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 3, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You are 17th in line to the warrant of trade. The current holder has taken all the hereditary captaincies and given them to people with practical experience. They're also cutting stipends for those further down the line of succession. You're going to go from Obscenely Wealthy to merely rich.

You should do something about that.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to find an old write up of a campaign, one of the highlights was the heretek (I think it was Black Crusade) becoming convinced that brain paste was the absolute best unguent for appeasing machine spirits, so always carried a large supply and rubbing down every large device with it, which only offended the machine spirits.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have been trying to talk people into using FATE for 40k games for a couple years now. Nobody is interested. :(

I've played a couple of FATE 40k games, I think I may have talked about them itt as well. It's good fun, though it removes a fair bit of the number crunching and the unique wargear is hard to get right.

Elukka posted:

I guess this could be sold, but any party worth their salt would immediately whip the scrunts around the galaxy on whatever ventures needed to pay for the descruntification of their ship.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tias posted:

I guess this could be sold, but any party worth their salt would immediately whip the scrunts around the galaxy on whatever ventures needed to pay for the descruntification of their ship.

The ship is just merely an expression of their scruntiness now. Pay for some Adeptus Astartes to come in with Balefire Flamers to scour the ship head to toe? Inside of a year the ship will be repopulated by scrunts, but now flame and radiation merely annoy them.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Elukka posted:

Here's a Scruntmech I drew like 5 months ago

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Here's a Scruntmech I drew like 5 months ago

Magos Frank Reynolds needs a pop can full of wine to make that image complete.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
An entire faction of space-DeVitos

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What, exactly, is the etymology of the word scrunt? I am intensely curious.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hexenritter posted:

What, exactly, is the etymology of the word scrunt? I am intensely curious.

Don't quote me on this, but maybe it's just a portmanteau of squat (who they're nominally devolved from) and runt (which they most certainly are).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

literally everything about this site is cringeworthy but it does have a breakdown of how scrunting began on the SA forums

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 6, 2016

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Going to be playing an Inquisitor in a game of Deathwatch (God loving help me when we get hit by a Horde.)

What's a good loadout, weapons wise? The GM's clearly feeling sorry so he's thrown in a suit of Ignatus Power Armour and a Force Field, but I'd like to be able to contribute in fights with something a bit better than a flashlight and a strimmer. Sky's the limit, more or less, as long as it's Melee, Pistol, or Basic.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yoshimo posted:

Going to be playing an Inquisitor in a game of Deathwatch (God loving help me when we get hit by a Horde.)

What's a good loadout, weapons wise? The GM's clearly feeling sorry so he's thrown in a suit of Ignatus Power Armour and a Force Field, but I'd like to be able to contribute in fights with something a bit better than a flashlight and a strimmer. Sky's the limit, more or less, as long as it's Melee, Pistol, or Basic.

Thunder hammer / Infernus pistol? Gives you damage figures that can be at least minimally competitive with space marine characters.

Alternatively you just say gently caress it to doing comparable damage and use a flamer for crowd control.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Storm bolter, dragonfire ammo.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A pair of Voss automatic grenade launchers (from Hammer of the Emperor). Carry utility/support grenades suitable for the mission. Stun, EMP/haywire, and hallucinogen grenades are hilariously effective (and in the last two cases, just plain hilarious as well) and generally underrated. You don't need to deal more damage per round than the space marines, that's their job. Just support them.

If you can get stuff from Into the Storm, get Howler grenades for CC (3m radius Shocking, 10m radius +0 toughness test to not be stunned, remember you get up to 6 of these per round spent firing), Choke grenades for capturing assholes alive or causing those wonderful -10 to everything fatigue modifiers, and Toxin grenades for damage that bypasses both armour and toughness bonus. Psyk-out grenades and haywire grenades are strictly situational but OP as gently caress in the situations where they apply.

Waci fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 6, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Either that or get a graviton gun and just lock fuckers down while your big comrades shoot the gently caress out of them.

goatface fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 6, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
With the grenade launcher akimbo option, you lock down somewhere between 314 (single ItS grenade) and 1885 mē (full 3-grenade burst with both weapons, landing with no overlap) of ground, and you can vary the effect according to the situation. Versatility is one of the chief weapons of the inquisition, together with fire and experimental explosives.

Oh, if your weapons are best craftsmanship (so they don't jam), keep some Iron-Eater grenades (Hammer of the Emperor) around to strip amour off things. Necrons are a lot less scary if they have (6x) 1d10 less armour. If you're allowed to be extra heretical, Foulswarm grenades (Tome of Decay) do the same thing but better and with a whole bunch of extra damage. Even the heaviest vehicles become a lot less heavy when you remove 12d10 points of armour off them.

A full burst of 6 grenades would, on average damage rolls, strip 33 or 66 (depending on level of heresy involved) armour off a target with the leftovers going into damage instead. For reference, a Predator tank has 31 side armour, a Land Raider has 50, a Deff Dread has 30, a Battle Wagon has 28, Doomsday Ark has 30, a Ravager gunship has 27, and a Raider transport has 24.

Waci fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 6, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How psychic are you? Force weapons can be pretty gnarly.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Yoshimo posted:

Yeah, hordes are probably dangerous given the number of hits and the extra damage. I'd maybe do a power weapon for one on one stuff, like a fist or hammer, and then carry a flamer to help with crowd control. That or any other nice fully automatic weapon. You only need to do one damage after armor and Toughness to score a magnitude damage, and I think most of the troop stat enemies from Deathwatch should get wounded by even a heavy stubber.

Now if your GM is like me and occasionally throws elite enemy hordes at you, then gulp.

Fake edit: see if your GM will let you have your own horde of like stormtroopers.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just give him an ersatz Throne of Judgement or his own Horde of acolytes or w/e, so long as he gets to sit in his Inquisitorial recliner and point at what he wants to die.
Oh, better yet Vindicare Ork Sniper support. Just point at what you want to be hit by a Turbo-Penetrator Kustom Mega Round.

What would a Space Hulk version of the Webway be like? Like a Hulk that's an accretion of so many ships that it's present in more than one system at a time, but there's not a safe path cover by Gellar fields?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It would be a room of doors and worth more money than god. Or would mass more than the observable universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Do you think the Imperium actually thinks about the names given to new Space Hulks, or is there just a department of the Administratum that throws darts at a wall of spooky words until they get a combination that makes sense?

"Okay, that time we got Antipathy... of the... Abyss. Sure, that'll work."