Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What are the recommended USB C cable brands? Need to grab a few in anticipation of my phone, in particular I'd like a short 1ft cord for my car. Are Acker and monopolize still solid bets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If google play music blows so hard, what music app does everyone prefer?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Le0 posted:

<SD stuff>
What phone is this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CodfishCartographer posted:

Spotify

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Spotify

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

couldcareless posted:

What are the recommended USB C cable brands? Need to grab a few in anticipation of my phone, in particular I'd like a short 1ft cord for my car. Are Acker and monopolize still solid bets?

Look in OP.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Does spotify still make your device a server and use all your available upload with no way to limit or turn it off? I had to get the folk i shared my place with to install a third party netlimiter on their machines as spotify continued to run in the background when closed and crippled any form of streaming for anyone else. That's what made me switch to google music, and i've seen no compelling reason to go back.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Google Play Music

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shannow posted:

Does spotify still make your device a server and use all your available upload with no way to limit or turn it off? I had to get the folk i shared my place with to install a third party netlimiter on their machines as spotify continued to run in the background when closed and crippled any form of streaming for anyone else. That's what made me switch to google music, and i've seen no compelling reason to go back.

I've been using spotify for years and have never seen anything even approaching what you are talking about

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looks like there is a beta program for nougat on the S7 starting on the 9th, but only for the UK. I got my hands on the apk for the beta program sign up and am gonna try it anyway. edit: error connecting to server when I try to register (from Canada) but I did also read that they are kinda finicky at this point anyway

I am very anal about having all my own music and total control over it so I never go for streaming services but I recently gave spotify a try. The only thing is now I find when I get in my car half the time it doesn't auto start my regular music player (but spotify doesn't come up instead, I just get nothing)

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 7, 2016

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
They're finally rolling out the update to Android Auto that allows you to just run it on your phone/tablet without pairing it to a head unit.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13542694/android-auto-comes-to-android-smartphones-without-dashboard-display

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Digitally Imported Radio :awesomelon:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Red Warrior posted:

They're finally rolling out the update to Android Auto that allows you to just run it on your phone/tablet without pairing it to a head unit.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13542694/android-auto-comes-to-android-smartphones-without-dashboard-display

Blessed be.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Red Warrior posted:

This excites me; I was in a rental all weekend and it had Android Auto but I didn't have an adapter to let me use my Pixel in it. So, is there a good car mount for Pixel XL-sized phones yet?

Also since I haven't seen mine come through yet, I trust no one else has gotten their free Daydream codes for Pixel preorders yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Joda posted:

Since I flashed my phone to get 6.0.1, will I have to flash it to get security patches from now on and 7.0 if it ever comes out for the A3, or will I automatically get it whenever they're released for the country/carrier I downloaded the ROM for?

Also, since my phone is apparently not locked, does it matter what carrier it says on the ROM download page if I need to flash again? Not sure if DBT was specifically chosen, or it would work with any German ROM.

E: Also, unrelated, but I'm losing less than 1% of battery every two hours when my phone is idle after the update. Granted it's on wifi, so it's not using LTE, but I'm still a bit worried it's somehow reporting battery wrong or something? Surely I wouldn't be able to have it run for over a week without charging?

If you've flashed a non-carrier ROM I would expect you to receive security patches directly from Samsung.

Your battery usage seems normal to me. Don't worry, it won't last two weeks on a charge but at times it should appear to be using almost no power. I know on KitKat when my N5 was new it could do stretches where it would only lose .3%/hour.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I know this is old news but I'll never get over how wacky courier logistics are. This is my Pixel XL Live case. Couldn't they have airdropped it over Vancouver while flying from Alaska to California or something?

The layover in ANC is just for refueling and is the Customs entry point for the flight but the flight itself is HKG > ONT. Legally the containers cannot be opened until clearance is obtained by the ONT brokerage and then only at the destination on the flight itself. All the courier services have only one hub in North America so after clearance, all non-local freight (and idk UPS's system intimately but it could be all freight full stop) is trans-conned to the hub where it will then be sorted for outbound waypoints.

That's actually a really standard routing for UPS.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Deathlove posted:

This excites me; I was in a rental all weekend and it had Android Auto but I didn't have an adapter to let me use my Pixel in it. So, is there a good car mount for Pixel XL-sized phones yet?

Literally any car mount compatible with the big iPhones will work with the Pixel XL.

I personally have a magnetic deal that uses the CD slot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNYZIC

Only downside is you have to stick a metal plate on the back of your phone (or just put it in the case - no adhesive required).

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Deathlove posted:

Also since I haven't seen mine come through yet, I trust no one else has gotten their free Daydream codes for Pixel preorders yet?

It says in the official Google announcement post that there is a Logitech car mount coming that will automatically launch Auto:

quote:

This update also brings the ability to automatically start the app when the phone is paired with Bluetooth. While you can put your phone in any car mount, please keep an eye out for Bluetooth-supported car mounts such as Logitech’s SmartCar mount, which is coming soon to the Google Store and select retail locations.
https://blog.google/products/android/android-auto-available-in-every-car/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

codo27 posted:

Looks like there is a beta program for nougat on the S7 starting on the 9th, but only for the UK. I got my hands on the apk for the beta program sign up and am gonna try it anyway. edit: error connecting to server when I try to register (from Canada) but I did also read that they are kinda finicky at this point anyway

I am very anal about having all my own music and total control over it so I never go for streaming services but I recently gave spotify a try. The only thing is now I find when I get in my car half the time it doesn't auto start my regular music player (but spotify doesn't come up instead, I just get nothing)

stream from your own music collection

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New Pixel update should be rolling out today.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/11/07/verizon-pixel-xl-update-bluetooth-wifi-calling-november/

One nice thing about this device being on Verizon is the beans are being spilled early for updates.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Blue Train posted:

I've been using spotify for years and have never seen anything even approaching what you are talking about

A quick search for 'spotify using upload' and you'll fond a lot of people complaining about it. Less of an issue if you have hilariously fast broadband, which many in the UK do no not. It seems they've changed how it operates within the last 2 years, but it was using a p2p framework that gave you no option limit its usage, which meant it would absolutely hose it whilst running in the background.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Thermopyle posted:

Look in OP.

I am not a smart man. Thank you sir.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spotify. GPM has a place for, well, music that isn't in mainstream libraries since you can upload and stream but those are edge cases for sure due to how extensive the libraries are getting.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Deathlove posted:

I'm waiting on ProclipUSA to finalize and release their Pixel XL mount. I really prefer their mounts since they are vehicle specific in a lot of cases and work awesome, especially with the angled adapter. I emailed them and they said it shouldn't be long, usually 6-8 weeks from the device release date. They also suggested some of their larger, universal mounts if I wanted one now but I plan to wait. Make sure you measure your device carefully, with whatever case you plan on using before ordering and make sure it's within the mounts specs.

nerox
May 20, 2001

nimper posted:

Literally any car mount compatible with the big iPhones will work with the Pixel XL.

I personally have a magnetic deal that uses the CD slot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNYZIC

Only downside is you have to stick a metal plate on the back of your phone (or just put it in the case - no adhesive required).

I use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V54LQO4/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC15011 with my Note 4. The best part of a magnetic mount is that it is so easy to toss it on there and pull it off when you get out of the car.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Fuuuuuck. I'm sorely tempted by the Moto Z Play (and the battery mod), but I can't bring myself to trust that it'll be supported in any substantial fashion past 12 months.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Fuuuuuck. I'm sorely tempted by the Moto Z Play (and the battery mod), but I can't bring myself to trust that it'll be supported in any substantial fashion past 12 months.

If it makes you feel better, you're 100% correct that it won't be supported in twelve months.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LastInLine posted:

If it makes you feel better, you're 100% correct that it won't be supported in twelve months.

Or, more specifically, you might see 2 or 3 security patches until the Moto Z Play successor is released, and then as far as Lenovo is concerned your phone will not exist.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm loving the fact my my Pixel XL is telling me that it is quick charging and how long it will be until the phone is fully charged.

Upgrading your phone ever 4 years is like jumping through time 1000 years in phone years.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got my Pixel XL live case. I love it as a case, very minimalistic, but a little disappointed that it's lighter colour than the online preview. But oh well, maybe now I'll be able to find it in low light

Changing the NFC button on the back to flashlight or camera is super dope

Here's the rough area of where the case is showing, should be recognizable to any local:

Vancouver

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 7, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hamelekim posted:

I'm loving the fact my my Pixel XL is telling me that it is quick charging and how long it will be until the phone is fully charged.

Upgrading your phone ever 4 years is like jumping through time 1000 years in phone years.

Maybe with a pre KitKat™ phone, but Marshmallow doesn't seem appreciably different from it or Nougat for me.
Some new features, and constant icon changes, but basically the same layout. The new things for me will be camera quality and phone paying via fingerprint when I upgrade.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got my Pixel XL live case. I love it as a case, very minimalistic, but a little disappointed that it's lighter colour than the online preview. But oh well, maybe now I'll be able to find it in low light

Changing the NFC button on the back to flashlight or camera is super dope

Here's the rough area of where the case is showing, should be recognizable to any local:

Vancouver

Haha holy poo poo are you for real, this is what I designed for my live case (which is waiting for me at home), stop copying me

ps that looks fantastic imo

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mister Macys posted:

Digitally Imported Radio :awesomelon:

Well now that's a blast from the past.

LastInLine posted:

My Droid Turbo 2 got a security update patch a week ago, if that counts for anything.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 7, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For those looking for a good car charger, I can highly recommend This beast that supports both QC 3.0 though the USB-A port, and 3A Rapid Charging through the USB-C Port. Have used both through various devices and it hits roughly the same numbers as the charger that came with my Nexus 6P, and a HTC 10 (USB-C/QC3.0 speeds).

And if you need some good quality USB-C to USB-C cables, iOrange hasn't let me down with either their USB-C to C cable, or their USB-A to USB-C cables as they support all charging speeds as well as haven't seen any reports of them miswiring the things yet. They are braided so they are a little stiffer than rubber, but aren't a sticky outside coating so they don't catch on random stuff just sliding around an whatnot.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any recommendations on car chargers that double as radio broadcasters? my car is dumb and doesn't have built-in bluetooth or aux jack or a usb port or anything like that, so I use an oldish radio broadcaster one. Works fine for my iPhone 5, but since I'm picking up a Pixel and it seems like charging through USB-C is a little finicky it'd be nice to pick up one that I know will work well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Any recommendations on car chargers that double as radio broadcasters? my car is dumb and doesn't have built-in bluetooth or aux jack or a usb port or anything like that, so I use an oldish radio broadcaster one. Works fine for my iPhone 5, but since I'm picking up a Pixel and it seems like charging through USB-C is a little finicky it'd be nice to pick up one that I know will work well.

If you have a tape deck there's some really good Aux-tape deck adapters that work way better than those lovely radio things.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha holy poo poo are you for real, this is what I designed for my live case (which is waiting for me at home), stop copying me

ps that looks fantastic imo

haha noice. I only included north shore + downtown + broadway because I'm from the north shore and don't really go farther than that. :)

Also I got everything first so you are copying ME

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I noticed a while ago that my phone is missing emojis it used to have. I used the thinking emoji all the time and then some update deleted it for some reason. Why, google? How do I get them back?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of Pixel/Pixel XL cases, the cloth-backed Carnaby cases are available through Incipio at the moment - try INCFC1FA for 15% off.

Pixel: https://www.incipio.com/cases/smartphone-cases/google-smartphone-cases-accessories/google-pixel-cases/carnaby-google-pixel-case.html
Pixel XL: https://www.incipio.com/cases/smartphone-cases/google-smartphone-cases-accessories/google-pixel-xl-cases/carnaby-google-pixel-xl-case.html (only black is in stock)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 8, 2016

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Pre-ordered my Pixel Xl silver 128Gb on 10/14, wasn't due to get here at the earliest till 11/18. Now FedEx has it saying it will be here tomorrow.

Oddly enough there is no signature required so it's going to end up on my doorstep for 15 hours most likely. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I noticed a while ago that my phone is missing emojis it used to have. I used the thinking emoji all the time and then some update deleted it for some reason. Why, google? How do I get them back?

Are you sure you're not just using a different keyboard?