Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Flanges are in, and on three of them, the holes for the exhaust tubing are ever so slightly too small.

Over/under on me dying if I use my ghetto router table and a carbide burr to enlarge them 1-2mm? I have 1.625 tubing and it just won't fit in.

I could buy a carbide burr for my dremel, but that's eight holes.

Also I can't find my 6mm shank burr. Carbide wood bits and all of the protective clothing?

router+flanges=fingers gone. Get a burr for the dremel, or use a stone to grind them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I misplaced my super narrow handheld belt sander, and was hoping to use the router table :(

I hate sitting there for an hour with a hot dremel. Die grinder would be better, but the compressor imploded. I do enjoy fingers, though.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

I misplaced my super narrow handheld belt sander, and was hoping to use the router table :(

I hate sitting there for an hour with a hot dremel. Die grinder would be better, but the compressor imploded. I do enjoy fingers, though.

What about getting a handful of those drill-sized flapwheels? These: https://www.amazon.com/Flap-Wheels-2x1x1-aluminum-oxide/dp/B0042XVPJQ

They actually work pretty well for what you're describing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Didn't think of those, that's a good idea. I'm just in a time crunch, need to get these cut and welded up and mounted before driving to do the engine swap Friday night.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Black88GTA posted:

What about getting a handful of those drill-sized flapwheels? These: https://www.amazon.com/Flap-Wheels-2x1x1-aluminum-oxide/dp/B0042XVPJQ

They actually work pretty well for what you're describing.

If you're in a time crunch you can slot a piece of steel rod and use sandpaper off a roll to imitate these. If you've only got take a millimeter or two out a decent half round file will do it faster than a dremel too most of the time, use a flapwheel too clean up after the file and make sure it's still round and not ovalised too much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Put your coarsest rat tail file in your drill and get to it.

:banjo::hf::effort:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I use this when aluminum valve stems get stuck in the tpms housing. tap it in and spin it out and bobs your aunty no more stuck tpms.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

kastein posted:

That'll do too

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress you, you're not my real dad.

Also lol short sleeves.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 3, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welder kept shutting down, and is also poo poo. Fluxcore in the wind, lolololol. But another pass with the grinder tomorrow morning, and I think it'll be passable.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Welder kept shutting down, and is also poo poo. Fluxcore in the wind, lolololol. But another pass with the grinder tomorrow morning, and I think it'll be passable.

What welder were you using? Could just be going over the duty cycle and overheating it. Fluxcore should be fine in the wind too since it's designed for outdoor use.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Literally the cheapest welder I could find a year ago. Insert Chinese brand here. Like, $80. Only has a knob for wire feed, and two 2 position switches. One min/max, one I/II. I have no idea what each does, but I had the best results with Max and "I."

I just aimed for good penetration on both surfaces, even if it blobbed up in steps.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 4, 2016

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Literally the cheapest welder I could find a year ago. Insert Chinese brand here. Like, $80. Only has a knob for wire feed, and two 2 position switches. One min/max, one I/II. I have no idea what each does, but I had the best results with Max and "I."

I just aimed for good penetration on both surfaces, even if it blobbed up in steps.

My friend got one of those, it was pretty terrible. I've heard they're a little bit better if you throw the harbor freight wire away and get a lincoln spool. I just put everything on the highest setting to weld my friends pre-runner bumper for his old ranger. It came out ok and never fell apart.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The engine, tools, stand, welder, etc are loaded into the bus, ready to go tomorrow. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to throw a few changes of clothes in there, take the bus to work (18 miles), and after that, another sixty to my work partner's house. He's got a garage, and the swap will go on there.

I don't have an engine stand, just the lift table, but we've pulled the engine out before. Since I'm breaking it down this time, I'll pull as much off before removal as possible (intake, exhaust, valve covers, oil filter and cooler) to reduce weight. Last time we pulled the engine, it was to look for oil leaks, so we couldn't modify it.

No pictures because it's loving 330 AM, but the exhaust extensions fit just fine, but they were about an inch too long, causing the muffler to foul on the rear bumper. I don't know if this is what would happen anyway on an unmodified bumper, or if it's just because the bumper on the bus as-is is bent to hell, but whatever. I needed to remove and replace it anyway due to damage, and this is as good a time as any. Removing the bumper also gives me another 4 inches of vertical clearance, so I shouldn't have to lift the bus as high to pull the engine out.

Due to the design of the engine, I don't think a stand it totally necessary. Most stuff can go on while it's sitting on the table, excluding a cooling tin or two, so no biggie. We'll just work on it while it's on the lifting table.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cart and tools are loaded.

Miscellaneous poo poo loaded.

Engine loaded.

Shift until 1-AM, then to the garage. Still have exhaust leaks, but much smaller, and I have extra gaskets now. This will be a busy weekend.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No photos yet, still on the camera and I don't have a computer at my friend's house, but text update:

Drove over to his place. He followed for half the drive, then the bus started spraying oil all over his car. Imagine Porco Rosso when his plane engine was failing; oil all over, wipers made it worse. Also, I had a gigantic exhaust leak straight downwards. He said to pull over and take surface streets, I told him back that I had good oil pressure and to keep going. Also, he said he got video of flames coming out of the tailpipe. Must have been a huge leak.

Made it to his house, slept.

Today, pulled the old engine. Spark plugs were perfect, but it only had one quart of oil left. Must have been a huge external leak, but I can't find it.

Pulled the tins, and he spent most of the day pressure washing them. Painted them light grey, and the fan shroud dark grey. Also washed the engine bay, and touched up the red.

Put most of the tins on the new engine. Lost the long alternator bolt, so I have to buy a new one tomorrow. Also cracked a flange on the old engine that I'd previously repaired, so a core return is out of the question. I'll try to sell it locally, the heads and other things are still good. Left CV axle bolts all backed off. They keep doing this, and I have no solution.

List for tomorrow:

Loctite left CV axle bolts...AGAIN.
Alternator bolt
Remaining tins
Fan shroud (don't forget RTV)
Exhaust disassembly and re-seal (RTV copper)
Jack up bus
Install engine
Carburetor
Oil blowby pcv box
Exhaust
Wiring (including tighten switch bolt, it was loose)
Adjust clutch
Timing
Test drive

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 6, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did you brakleen out the cv bolt holes and clean the bolts too? Preferably the kind that doesn't leave a light sheen of toluene or whatever behind. Loctite does not stick well on oily poo poo, obviously.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yteO9nS9K2o

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love/hate that stretch of road. Traffic is always quick so it's easy to get through it, but the road really isn't designed for the speeds people hit anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pulling the old engine, and removing the tins, was the easiest part.

I tried capturing the mounds and mounds of oil crud on the intake valves, but even Lightroom can't save this one

Mmm, so sexy.

The current wiring, while at a bare minimum of necessary wires, was quite messy.

We also wanted to do something with the engine bay. Clean up the crud and maybe cover the rusty spots.

(pictured: BlazeCut tube - still one of my favorite purchases for peace-of-mind)

Tins removed, and out on the rocks.

"Zundfolge 1-4-3-2." Buddy speaks fluent German, says it's the equivalent of "firing order".

My buddy has this actually really good Ryobi pressure washer. It's leaps and bounds better than the Harbor Freight "Blue" washer I have. After he accidentally hit his toe with it (and promptly sliced it right the gently caress open), he switched to boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDDE51NNgtc

The Exhaust extensions I made. This was leaky as poo poo on the drive over, so we eventually pulled it all apart (the stainless fasteners seized solid together in one single drive, but the "Grade 8" O'reilly's metric bolts were easily removed, hmm) and re-sealed it.

The transmission seal is clearly leaking. It was 50/50 which one was causing the wetness at the engine/bellhousing joining point, and now we knew. I replaced the seal after washing it out.

Pressure plate. I didn't have the funds for a new pressure plate (they're like $150-200), but I got a new clutch, so that's 50% of the way there. Despite the pattern, it's fairly flat on the edge of my caliper slide.

Taking care not to hit wires or the transmission drive shaft directly

Old and busted / new hotness

And suddenly I understand what a clutch centering tool is for

New engine is on the table now

...and the old is thrown to the side.

A secret pic my buddy snapped. Me inhaling red spray paint and getting high as a loving kite.

Painting the tins.

We spent the first night (last night) fitting the painted tins. At least, when you're an EMT, you have an infinite supply of gloves, and can change them if they ever get any grime on them. Don't want to mark up the fresh paint!

Rear fan shroud on.

And, the next morning, the front fan shroud on.

I decided to paint the fan. Why not?

Back plate on.

Now, preface. Between the next two pictures, about an hour passed. The lift table was an absolute godsend compared to how we did this last time, with a jack and a piece of wood. Even with it, though, getting the engine mated up is a trial of patience. We eventually got it on by having my buddy up top holding the table, and me on the ground watching the bellhousing mating point, and giving directions. I ended up spinning the flywheel with a flathead screwdriver while he was shaking the engine side-to-side. That got it over the crankshaft splines, and it mated up.

Starting to work on some of the wiring.

I just like this photo. Victory!

We discovered that, if we backed the bus up to the edge of the driveway slope, it gave us a few more inches of clearance.

And, the rest of the gubbins on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCEiC5YTorE

E:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love/hate that stretch of road. Traffic is always quick so it's easy to get through it, but the road really isn't designed for the speeds people hit anyway.

Yeah. I'm super glad that they're widening it. Trying to drive down 2 lanes in the ambulance code 3 (lights/siren) to Banner Ironwood (a weekly occurrence because it's a poo poo hospital) is annoying as hell.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 7, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't recognize it. Is that 87, or something down SE?

E: ^^ Hell of a post, and one hell of a productive weekend. Nice job.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 7, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ironwood between the freeway and Germann.

Also if anybody has a "My Summer Car" HUD transparency/mask, I'll take it. Because I've got a few pictures I think would fit.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 7, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ironwood between the freeway and Germann.

So SE. Your buddy lives down in Queen Creek/San Tan Valley I guess. I think the last time I was in that part of town was 10 years ago, although I got sort of close I guess going to Schnepf farms last winter, but I didn't take Ironwood, came down the 202 and then Rittenhouse.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whoa, shiny motor stuff.

How does it drive?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It drives very nicely. I still have to tune the carburetor a bit (tends to either hold high idle, or drop below 800 - either an intake leak or idle circuit tuning), but much better than the old. The added HP of the 2.0 over the 1.7, in addition to the torque, means it's much more forgiving about shifts than the old engine.

However! I've actually lost theoretical top speed! The redline of a 1.7 is 5100 RPM, and of the 2.0 it's only 4500. In addition, the hydraulic lifters, while much easier to maintain, do have additional "drag" as reciprocating weight. This may seem like I'm talking about a weird phantom, but I can "feel" this when I drive the new engine. It's not as happy to rev up when I hit the pedal, and it doesn't rev as high with the same throttle movements. That doesn't mean it's bad or anything, no! It just feels like it has a "heavier flywheel," if that makes any sense. With the 1.7, I could (and often had to) thrash it up to the limit and abuse the clutch to get real-world traffic acceleration. Even with it just dumping oil out, I got it up to a, confirmed with GPS, 83 MPH on the freeway (on a downhill lol) out to my buddy's house.

Unless something magical happens during this break-in period, I "feel" that there's no way this engine is getting up above 80 MPH. It just doesn't want to rev higher. But, that's okay, because on the way home, from Banner Ironwood Hospital to Central/Thomas Phoenix, I maintained a solid 68 GPS MPH, even up the hills on the 60 and I-10. The 1.7 may have revved higher, but it definitely couldn't do that.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
Glad to see that everything's working out.

It looks like the transmissions in the later busses had a lower final drive ratio compared to your 73, but the difference at 60mph is a couple hundred RPM, which shouldn't be that noticeable. (As with most ACVW stuff, hard facts are difficult to come by.)

As for throttle response, I always heard that Type 4s didn't take well to single carburetion. Mind you this was almost ten years ago, I was a kid who did lots of reading but very little wrenching, and my bus was fuel injected :). Still, perhaps you should look into returning to a dual setup or - dare I say it - MegaSquirt? (gently caress L-Jet in its NLA rear end.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It could very well be just the engine breaking in, too. I'm using the same carburetor as I had on the 1.7 (I have a dual carb setup on a shelf somewhere, but it was a crap EMPI that had worn the throttle plate bushings clean through in only 10k miles). Dual carbs are always more better because it's more carb, but I was tired of dealing with syncing and balancing and such. Maybe it was just the crap manufacturing that put me off of them. My reluctance to rev could also be the jetting and setup, but to be honest I was running pig-rich for the 1.7 and only passed emissions because the distributor vacuum line was eaten clean through by gasoline degradation, and I didn't notice until after the test. The 1.7 was just that clapped out.

Also I forgot to post this picture yesterday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lookin' drat good. :clint:

Illegal Alienation
Mar 2, 2016

My buddy has this actually really good Ryobi pressure washer. It's leaps and bounds better than the Harbor Freight "Blue" washer I have. After he accidentally hit his toe with it (and promptly sliced it right the gently caress open), he switched to boots.
Son of a diddly. Turns out 2000psi (or should I say, an advertised "2000psi") to the top of the fourth digit to my right foot -- even if only for a brief second -- is relatively catastrophic. It hasn't fallen off yet, so I'm gonna chalk this up as a win.

A secret pic my buddy snapped. Me inhaling red spray paint and getting high as a loving kite.
You were an easy target.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, it's not designed for that poo poo at all. I almost got killed by a longhorn steer wandering in the road at 2am a couple weeks ago at 70mph. I was about four seconds away from the gates of Valhalla, riding shiny and chrome, with a five foot horn through my sternum. It either would have been metal as gently caress, or one of those awkward funeral conversations: "Psst.. You know how he died? Fucker hit a cow. Also, I'm pretty sure he poo poo himself."

Annoyingly they're waiting for funding to turn it into the Northwest Pinal Freeway...someday. Ellsworth and Ironwood can't handle all the traffic though, that's for sure.

The Locator posted:

So SE. Your buddy lives down in Queen Creek/San Tan Valley I guess. I think the last time I was in that part of town was 10 years ago, although I got sort of close I guess going to Schnepf farms last winter, but I didn't take Ironwood, came down the 202 and then Rittenhouse.

I live about a mile from Schnepf. Google has you take Ellsworth to Rittenhouse because it's most direct, but it's slightly longer because there's more traffic, more lights, and it moves slower. Ironwood moves fast, but it's probably the most perilous part of my day -- that includes drunk/high/legally insane motherfuckers we run calls on, and coping with Metal Geir Skogul's driving. Mark my words, he will get us shot one of these days. Driving is about a careful balance of offensive and defensive driving. His driving is so much offense, it's the equivalent of putting all the players in front of the other goal and having them kick the poo poo out of the goalie. He's the reason everyone has such a low opinion of ambulances.

Also I forgot to post this picture yesterday.

Eff yeah.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Illegal Alienation posted:

I live about a mile from Schnepf. Google has you take Ellsworth to Rittenhouse because it's most direct, but it's slightly longer because there's more traffic, more lights, and it moves slower. Ironwood moves fast, but it's probably the most perilous part of my day

Yea, I am completely unfamiliar with the area so I went with what Google told me to do. Holy poo poo the traffic was terrible, and it didn't help that about half the route seemed to be under construction.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Remember that pressure washer injuries can be much more dangerous than they appear. With even a small would you can get a bad infection deep in your tissue.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Remember that pressure washer injuries can be much more dangerous than they appear. With even a small would you can get a bad infection deep in your tissue.

Injection injuries are not anything with which to gently caress.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, even with plain water, gangrene is a big danger. But, we're going to monitor it (IA is my partner on my ambulance). You don't gently caress with even Ryobi-levels of hydraulic pressure injuries.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Yea, I am completely unfamiliar with the area so I went with what Google told me to do. Holy poo poo the traffic was terrible, and it didn't help that about half the route seemed to be under construction.

That area has been "under construction" for as long as I can remember, and Google is hilariously bad at estimating travel times through it. When getting from my place to my grandma's place near Florence, it gives me three routes of wildly different distances but similar ETAs. One is all the way east to Florence Junction, one is way west down to Country Club / 87, and one is blasting down Ironwood followed by snaking through San Tan Valley. All things equal, the Ironwood route is usually 5-10m faster. I still avoid it because of my previous statements on Ironwood, as well as the snaking around being annoying. Florence Junction is a lot more miles but it's truly "highway".

About half of the possible routes of that N/S corridor would actually run straight through farmland owned by a few different members of my family. While I'd love to be able to drive down to them more quickly, I'm not so sure how much they'll like having to give up the land.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yeah, even with plain water, gangrene is a big danger. But, we're going to monitor it (IA is my partner on my ambulance). You don't gently caress with even Ryobi-levels of hydraulic pressure injuries.

I figured you knew but I was just reading the OSHA thread in GBS and I came across a page on pressure injuries :P

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
The simplicity of the aircooled motor almost makes me miss working on em.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What else do you need? Fuel, air, spark, compression. I don't see why any motor needs anything more.

Except for that little pesky thing, reliability.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 8, 2016

Illegal Alienation
Mar 2, 2016

CharlesM posted:

The thread might be in for another name change.. Transporter 5: The Bus Bites Back

Fortunately I am an EMT, so I should be reasonably well-attuned to making sure my poo poo doesn't fall off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:neckbeard:

Illegal Alienation posted:

Son of a diddly. Turns out 2000psi (or should I say, an advertised "2000psi") to the top of the fourth digit to my right foot -- even if only for a brief second -- is relatively catastrophic. It hasn't fallen off yet, so I'm gonna chalk this up as a win.

My stepdad tried his hand at a power washing business, and had the regulator on his machine set at 4000 PSI. I mean.. the hoses said they were good for 4000 PSI, therefore they should be able to take it, right?! :downsgun:

Goodyear stopped warranting hoses for him, he was blowing them several times a month (and oh boy a ruptured hose whipping around with a beefy trailer-mounted power washing machine behind it is no fun). They were rated up to 4000 PSI. Problem is, you get quite a surge if you slam the trigger shut, before the regulator kicks in, and of course being a fully mechanical regulator, it's not like it was set to EXACTLY 4000 PSI. And yeah.... he peeled the skin back on his hand with it once.

He also kept peeling the paint right off of.. well, everything he tried to wash. Even peeled the stripes off of parking lots. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:neckbeard:

My stepdad tried his hand at a power washing business, and had the regulator on his machine set at 4000 PSI. I mean.. the hoses said they were good for 4000 PSI, therefore they should be able to take it, right?! :downsgun:

Goodyear stopped warranting hoses for him, he was blowing them several times a month (and oh boy a ruptured hose whipping around with a beefy trailer-mounted power washing machine behind it is no fun). They were rated up to 4000 PSI. Problem is, you get quite a surge if you slam the trigger shut, before the regulator kicks in, and of course being a fully mechanical regulator, it's not like it was set to EXACTLY 4000 PSI. And yeah.... he peeled the skin back on his hand with it once.

He also kept peeling the paint right off of.. well, everything he tried to wash. Even peeled the stripes off of parking lots. :stonk:

Did he ever realize it's possible to wash off grime or other dirt with less pressure? He sounds like someone who could never have enough pressure to wash stuff.

• Locked thread