Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

mabes in parts of Manhattan, but they're v good in most other places in the city

it does depend on the route regardless of part of the city, more like places that have dense traffic or are very poor from the locations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

public transport is the worst

actually its the best, you've just never lived anywhere worth living

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
subway and elevated rail are good, but buses are garbage everywhere and you're lying to yourself if you think they're good.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have taken the mbta buses on numerous occasions and they have been extremely needs suiting

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
as long as they don't build that stupid at-grade streetcar along the waterfront from Queens to Brooklyn, the worst of all worlds

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

please dont get shaggered on this most holy of days when like $300 billion in transit investment is on the ballot in the US, go out and vote and make his dumb rear end swerve around bikes and busses forever

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2016/11/03/on-the-ballot-2016/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I almost didn't vote for our transit bond because it had specific language for bicycle lanes which are an oxymoron.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but in the end most of it was for actual transit so I voted for it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bloody posted:

i have taken the mbta buses on numerous occasions and they have been extremely needs suiting

I took the express bus from harlem to laguardia after eating breakfast as sylvia's A+ needs suiting glad there's a dedicated bus lane

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

laguardia is a shithole

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I almost didn't vote for our transit bond because it had specific language for bicycle lanes which are an oxymoron.

I will gladly share a lane with you in a dense area where you can't pass and have to stare at my spandex'd rear end going 15mph

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Shaggar posted:

subway and elevated rail are good, but buses are garbage everywhere and you're lying to yourself if you think they're good.

correct except that subway and elevated rail are also bad, and is extremely disruptive to the natural environment and takes away from greenspaces around the city.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol there are people who really think that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

"green spaces in a city" is an oxymoron outside of parks. random-rear end strips of grass and planters and whatever are completely pointless garbage

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
beep boop plants and trees are worthless garbage, must build trains beep boop

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Bloody posted:

"green spaces in a city" is an oxymoron outside of parks. random-rear end strips of grass and planters and whatever are completely pointless garbage

haha like the 606 in chicago, its a cool place to go up and loiter on tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why you don't let mayoral candidates plan transit lines, parts one and two.

bonus: why you don't let politicians fire city staff for giving them answers they don't like

turns out staff need the freedom to says that's stupid and you're stupid for suggesting it, when that is in fact the case

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

lol if you've never been drunk af with your friends on a night bus that gets your rear end home for under $3

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the drunk bus in college was free for students which owned

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

lol if you've never been drunk af with your friends on a night bus that gets your rear end home for under $3

the MBTA monthly pass works out to quite a bit less than 3 dollars a ride for a regular rider

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
london buses own

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

sorry to hear about yalls misfortunes :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

i absentee voted for the transit bond because of the bicycle lanes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blugu64 posted:

i'd rather have a compact city where i can take the train to walkable neighborhoods than a strip of trees in the middle of the road that i can't walk to

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i'd rather have a compact city where i can take the train to walkable neighborhoods than a strip of trees in the middle of the road that i can't walk to
people itt conflate urban greenspace with parks.

parks are good. greenspace is not.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

"garbage" might be overstating it. buses can be OK when there's high service frequency but not much traffic.

that describes lots of places in the outer boroughs of nyc.

i would still rather not ride a bus if i can avoid it. and i always can.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

this but unironically

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blugu64 posted:

correct except that subway and elevated rail are also bad, and is extremely disruptive to the natural environment and takes away from greenspaces around the city.

im curious what this guy thinks is the ideal city transit system, considering he thinks buses, elevated rail, and subways are all bad and disruptive to the environment and that green space is good. i guess i'm supposed to drive everywhere with a strip of bushes on the sides of the roads? lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mishaq posted:

night bus has gotten me home faster than cabs before, just peels out,of the lot and treats yellows as suggestions

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fart simpson posted:

im curious what this guy thinks is the ideal city transit system, considering he thinks buses, elevated rail, and subways are all bad and disruptive to the environment and that green space is good. i guess i'm supposed to drive everywhere with a strip of bushes on the sides of the roads? lol.

so basically Texas

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shaggar posted:

I liked London and Dublin's bus systems quite a bit, although that may have come down to the novelty of the upper deck.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

the MBTA monthly pass works out to quite a bit less than 3 dollars a ride for a regular rider

ive only had the pleasure of having night buses take my drunk rear end home in other countries because transit in the us is garbage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

so basically Texas

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

at the date posted:

I liked London and Dublin's bus systems quite a bit, although that may have come down to the novelty of the upper deck.

they are buying doubledeckers in the states now and its cool, u get a good view uptop

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
only poors ride the doubledecker sound transit coaches

they only service areas where houses are cheap (because they are far away and/or a doublewide)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

laguardia is a shithole

when it's preferential to go to newark new jersey you done hosed up

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

lol so so true

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Alzabo posted:

only poors

:wth:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

you can take the train to newark intl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

as long as nothing inside the airport is broken like the airtrain or security newark is a deece airport and it's easy to get to the worst part of manhattan very quickly

I once stayed at a hotel right near EWR at the end of a trip, it was like a depressing alternate universe [but $150 cheaper than staying in the city] plus the cabbie was super sketchy and tried to rip me off

• Locked thread