Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I know that hypothetically they could do speed limits that are for trucks in the game, as truck speed limits are actually enforced in actual Europe. Cameras can tell the difference. It's probably a coding nightmare. The limit only seems to tell AI drivers how fast to go. Of course for NPC trucks on side roads when the limit is 70 for trucks they go 65.

km/h. I have no clue how long a mile is. ETS2 does the conversion automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
1.6km is 1 mile. 80kmh is 50mph, 160kmh is 100mph. The other speeds are, of course, pointless.

Does ATS not do separate truck speed limits? I know ETS does, and since they are already setting two speed limits, it wouldn't be much extra work to only set a different truck speed limit in the appropriate states/cites. It would definitely be annoying to have to drop all the way down to 45-ish for a few cities, then spend ages building back up to 65-ish, though.

Now if they really wanted to make it hellish, they'd throw in sound limits.

Incidentally, if you are like me and running ETS on a broken-ish laptop from 2010 and are suddenly faced with a "oh poo poo we can't find a graphics device" error, the beta channel "temporary 1.24" works fine — donno about 1.25, but they changed something between 1.24 and 1.whatever the latest version is, because steam apparently doesn't do things like "changelogs" and the update history button takes you to blog posts.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Along with the rescale they're also redoing a lot of the interchanges, like in Reno they had an at-grade for one of the Interstates, which was a huge pain in the arse if you were just burning back into California from Bumfuck NV. I'll get back into ATS when the rescale is done, which shouldn't be too long now.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Zenostein posted:

Does ATS not do separate truck speed limits? I know ETS does, and since they are already setting two speed limits, it wouldn't be much extra work to only set a different truck speed limit in the appropriate states/cites. It would definitely be annoying to have to drop all the way down to 45-ish for a few cities, then spend ages building back up to 65-ish, though.

For the most part we don't split car and truck speed limits, (albeit Cali is the one state that does significantly)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

If the 389 doesn't get an unofficial Optimus Prime skin I will be very disappointed.

Or if it's in the game now already. I don't have ATS yet as I am waiting for the rescale.

And I still haven't found a G1 Optimus mod, thanks SCS.

But yeah I'd be surprised if there isn't an Optimus skin out for the 389 already.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

dupersaurus posted:

For the most part we don't split car and truck speed limits, (albeit Cali is the one state that does significantly)

Yeah, there are only like eight states with different car/truck speed limits. However we'll likely run into one of them in the next two or three expansions, since Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Montana are all on that list.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Serperoth posted:

And I still haven't found a G1 Optimus mod, thanks SCS.

But yeah I'd be surprised if there isn't an Optimus skin out for the 389 already.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/04/optimus-prime-american-truck-simulator/

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Would it work for ETS too? Don't have ATS :saddowns:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, that's why I was asking if they weren't already in the game. When I was talking about having to go out of their way to make them for random bits I was thinking about like, this stretch of i95 between NYC and CT that inexplicably has a truck limit (it's the only one I've seen in NYS!), rather than states that more-or-less have blanket truck limits.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I should not play ETS2 while i'm tired and sleepy. It provides an authentic trucking experience that I am not cut out for. I don't think I've ever crashed so much so hard before. This was the first time I managed to land my truck/trailer upside down, and I was only pulling out of a parking lot inside a city.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Zenostein posted:

Yeah, that's why I was asking if they weren't already in the game. When I was talking about having to go out of their way to make them for random bits I was thinking about like, this stretch of i95 between NYC and CT that inexplicably has a truck limit (it's the only one I've seen in NYS!), rather than states that more-or-less have blanket truck limits.

California is 55 in the game, but I'm not sure if it's enforced at 55 or at the posted speed limit (by the game's ticketing system, i mean.)

Wisconsin has some stretches here and there where truck speed is 55 and traffic speed is 65 but usually only in somewhat curvy areas of interstate highway or other areas where traffic is a bit odd for some reason. Also one place where a kid was killed by a semi, if I recall, and no other technical/safety reason other than a reaction.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Having just done more state-to-state driving to my job today, I REALLY hope the Oklahoma expansion comes with randomized road work scripts. It's really the only thing they need to authenticity here, the highway layouts can be completely random at that point.

But seriously, it'd be neat if they had a system to make random construction.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I just recently picked up Euro 2. Quite a bit of fun, played it single player for a few hours but have switched over to TruckersMP because I'm a sucker for multiplayer things, only played that maybe an hour or so and was in England for most of it so didn't see too many people.

I am struggling to make a profit on most runs cause I try to haul rear end in places I need to slow down, so much money wasted in repairing my truck...

Don't have to work tonight so gonna do some drinking and truckin.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

If you're not barely making a profit because of your reckless driving and quick deliveries you'd be doing it wrong. Once you get some employees that bring in enough money to cancel out your massive expenses you'll be raking the dough in.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I own three employees in ATS and they barely make a profit. What is the secret?

e: Obviously I'm still in the relative beginning of the game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is where I am in ETS2 so I'm :allears: for tips

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005
Play the game the way you want. If that involves barreling through an intersection at 80 MPH then you might want to look into a mod that disables damage and turn off traffic violations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hires will always barely make money until they get more skills.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Having just done more state-to-state driving to my job today, I REALLY hope the Oklahoma expansion comes with randomized road work scripts. It's really the only thing they need to authenticity here, the highway layouts can be completely random at that point.

But seriously, it'd be neat if they had a system to make random construction.

Counterpoint, it would be pretty amazing to see what Wisconsin and Illinois looks like without construction every 5 miles.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm by no means a pro, just started playing ETS2 myself, but I will say that I've noticed my employees bringing more and more dough in over time as they level up. I think how much money they bring in is basically a function of their driver level. It might also have to do with the trucks you set them up with? My two employees were driving the cheapest Merc trucks I could give them and their profits seemed to get better when I through a round 15,000 into a new engine for each of the trucks.

I'm working my 400,000 loan off now (only around 300,000 to go!) and am having to seriously resist the urge to blow 50,000 on paint jobs so all of my trucks have the same livery.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Harminoff posted:

Counterpoint, it would be pretty amazing to see what Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan looks like without construction every 5 miles.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Why do you hate Americans having jobs so much! :bahgawd:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

1) Trucks assigned to them don't matter enough to spend more than you have to
2) Have them level distance first (for ATS, stop after 3 points)
3) Put one point each in High Value and Fragile
4) Put two points in Just-In-Time
5) Max Hazardous Cargo
6) When you level, check the recruit list the next ingame day to see if there's any available drivers higher than your current ones, if so, fire and hire.

This is also how you should level your own character, except spend your money on a nice truck.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They actually made better trucks help your NPCs a little more.

But you can still give them a cheap MAN and they'll still help you rake in the dough. (in ETS2)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I find it's also nice to put your blinged out personal truck into the employee pool when you buy a new one, since as far as I know you can't just park them.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Since we're talking about trucks, is there any reason why I shouldn't switch away from my preferred truck brand? When I started the game up I selected Merc, but I kind of like the MAN and Scania trucks better.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

USMC_Karl posted:

Since we're talking about trucks, is there any reason why I shouldn't switch away from my preferred truck brand? When I started the game up I selected Merc, but I kind of like the MAN and Scania trucks better.

No. The preferred brand just shows up on your profile if you're not currently driving anything, that's all.

In-game, some are just better than others in terms of capabilities and options (to say nothing of dashboard layout). No point in crippling yourself from some silly option you picked before you even knew what was what.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

USMC_Karl posted:

Go ahead and drive whatever. The 'truck' you start with at the beginning of the game will be the one you drive in the very first mission, and it will also point out a full dealership of that specific truck type shortly after you start playing.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Good to know, thanks. I don't dislike the Merc at all, just some of the other trucks have a bit more style appeal.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
For future reference, the Volvo is the 'I don't like change' brand; even their bargain basement trucks have a lot of horsepower, so you don't have to trade up any time soon. If, on the other hand, you can't get hard unless stats are going up, go for the Scania, which has a very RPG-ish progression of parts. There are some manufacturers who don't exactly impress, but it's been long enough that I don't remember which ones, and anyway, if you don't like them, you can always buy another brand.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I think Renault are the ones that people usually poo poo on. I'm pretty sure they have the lowest maximum HP engine option, at the least. And since ETS uses the same transmission in everything, torque and HP are the only real speed-differences between trucks. Although FWIW I think the Renaults might be more stable? I forget exactly which brand was the most tip-prone.

I like the Renaults anyway. They look nice, and you can still get to 110–120kms loaded with the top end motor, which is plenty everywhere except England.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are they driving trucks? you can employ people but they don't do poo poo unless you put them in a garage and give them a truck

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

In ETS, MAN is the best trucks because they have the best window for scenery viewing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If by scenery you mean the same loving sunflower field again.

tater_salad posted:

Are they driving trucks? you can employ people but they don't do poo poo unless you put them in a garage and give them a truck

:allears:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If by scenery you mean the same loving sunflower field again.

:allears:

I think he means "that same goddamn golf that gets caught under your truck in every drat city," actually.

That is a good point though, Man and Mercedes I think have the most glass.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Ah the beginning part of the game where you still have a loan, your truck is starter-tier, and you're barely scraping by with profit. That's actually the best part of the game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The grind in ATS is real. Since all distances are so short it takes ages for your AI drivers to level up and start earning money. I have 85 hours logged, have only done the longest distance deliveries to maximize income and my hired drivers are just now starting to make a difference and I have 19 of them.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Wait a minute. This is going to seem like stupid question, I'm sure, but does distance have that large of an effect on experience? I've been ignoring long distance past the first level in favor of filling out my ADR for more cargo diversity. Man, I should shift my AI drivers over to long distance focus and start sticking my points into long distance.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are their levels the same as players'? As in long distance ranges? Because if so, it's only worth leveling up once or twice with the current ATS landmass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Ah, sorry, I'm talking about ETS2. My AI truckers are just set to the balanced focus, so I'm pretty sure they have 1 in every skill atm.