Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Sometimes my department schedules meetings with an alternate option for webex, which is kept secret from certain people that we need to see in person. These are usually execs we need decisions from. So many of them have a reputation for vanishing from the face of the earth if they get the slightest inkling that someone else can share meeting cliffnotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Satellit3 posted:

one of my coworkers doesnt have a degree and i think hes real insecure about it. he uses so many technical terms when not necessary at all. some favorites i hear just about every day are 'leverage', 'container', 'regression', 'a utility i wrote' ..... :fuckoff:

like eg rather than write a query that joined tables x y z, he leveraged the poo table, 'essentially a container for chome data', to pull this report which aggregates dicks and lomarfs.

i mean there is a place for that but not 24/7

do you work in pittsburgh

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
im still getting some background noise, can everyone please check to make sure youre on mute?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ArmZ posted:

do you work in pittsburgh

lol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
have you ever played meeting inception?

i have a vendor that will only use zoom for their meetings, it works fine on my machine but a lot of people i work with can't get it running. so i will join the zoom with one or two others, then we will use microsoft skype for business to bring in the rest of our group. also our french colleagues have not yet been included in phase four of the new company conference experience, so they will open up a webex.

it then goes something like this

vendor in zoom shares screen -> BA in skype for business & zoom starts sharing their screen of the zoom screen, in skype for business -> someone in the french office connects to our video conference (qualcomm) in a physical room and shares that over webex so long as the BA from step 2 is also sharing over qualcomm

sometimes then we also conference people in with iphones

its awesome and is almost as fun as our mixed lync/sametime/aol im environment

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mad Wack posted:

i have a vendor that will only use zoom for their meetings, it works fine on my machine but a lot of people i work with can't get it running. so i will join the zoom with one or two others, then we will use microsoft skype for business to bring in the rest of our group. also our french colleagues have not yet been included in phase four of the new company conference experience, so they will open up a webex.

vendor in zoom shares screen -> BA in skype for business & zoom starts sharing their screen of the zoom screen, in skype for business -> someone in the french office connects to our video conference (qualcomm) in a physical room and shares that over webex so long as the BA from step 2 is also sharing over qualcomm

:lol:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dislike button posted:

im still getting some background noise, can everyone please check to make sure youre on mute?

uh, you can use * 6 7 to mute everyone

*beep* *boop* *beep*

ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE NOW IN LISTEN ONLY MODE

*noise continues*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mad Wack posted:

then get the WebEx people to conference in the vendor and you have a corporate ourobouros

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the telepresence centipede

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The cyber-future we were promised:
"I'm gonna hack the IRS mainframe to add thirty percent more CPU cycles to my illegal pirate network port! Hang on, bit-heads, this is where it gets radical." (slams a Red Bull, starts typing furiously while metal guitars wail.)

The cyber-future we got:
"Okay, so you need to hold your phone at exactly six inches from the center console because further out is too far and she can't hear, and further in causes horrible feedback..."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its cool that gamers can get 40 drat dudes in a molten core raid with subgroups, muting, etc - pretty reliably, and yet fortune 5 businesses are epic conference call fail. its cool to think that i have a more robust collaborative toolchain with my dota buddies than p deece 7 figmen have at work, which is true, by a longshot.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Smythe posted:

its cool that gamers can get 40 drat dudes in a molten core raid with subgroups, muting, etc - pretty reliably, and yet fortune 5 businesses are epic conference call fail. its cool to think that i have a more robust collaborative toolchain with my dota buddies than p deece 7 figmen have at work, which is true, by a longshot.

push to talk is also great

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i loving hate kids who dont use push to talk

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

Truth

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

so is there a reason why we aren't seeing Mumble For Business or Discord Corporate Edition

even counterstrike 1.6 voice chat Just Worked how does skype keep loving it up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

this is a good point and also hilarious

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Smythe posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

flakeloaf posted:

even counterstrike 1.6 voice chat Just Worked how does skype keep loving it up

it also had hotkeys for playing chesney hawkes over the voice comms. skype doesnt have that.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i've been on a skype chat on my phone for half an hour where i can hear the chat but no one else can hear me

i'm yelling at my phone like an american tourist in a paris taxicab. jfc

when someone asks me a question i have to text the answer to someone else on slack so he can read it to everyone else

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

it also had hotkeys for playing chesney hawkes over the voice comms. skype doesnt have that.
<joins big conference call, loads up duke nukem soundboard>
I've got balls of steeel. b-b-balls of steeel

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Thanks Ants posted:

im porting tribes 2 vgs to skype for business, should solve a lot of this

"Are we moving consistently toward release, or do we need to delay?"

VVD - "I don't know."

"Well setup some time to review issues and we'll discuss at our next scrum."

VSTO - "I'm on it."

"Oh, I just got a ping from business, let me forward the invite…"

VWE - "Incoming hostiles!"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Agile Vector posted:

VVD - "I don't know."

VSTO - "I'm on it."

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Uncle Enzo posted:

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Agile Vector posted:

VVD - "I don't know."

VSTO - "I'm on it."

Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted Enemy submarine spotted

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
we got a new polycom in one of our conference rooms with a neat little touchscreen showing the upcoming reservations for the room, it connects to our office 365 and that works well. it shows everything about the reservation except for the title of the goddamn meeting

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao i dont understand how polycom is a thing

its a webcam, with a microphone, and it connects to a tv

$20,000 USD

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cause they're good. if you need a conference phone and you're a small/med business you just buy a $700 polycom kit and ur done. if ur a large company you buy a huge rear end polycom kit and have them set it up cause that's peanuts to you.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

chmods please posted:

we got a new polycom in one of our conference rooms with a neat little touchscreen showing the upcoming reservations for the room, it connects to our office 365 and that works well. it shows everything about the reservation except for the title of the goddamn meeting

showing meeting titles is bad because people get petty as gently caress about meeting room reservations

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ahmeni posted:

people get petty as gently caress about meeting room reservations

ftfy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

our meeting room is equipped with a 4 year old lenovo laptop hooked up to a wireless HDMI box and a usb mic/speaker thing. it hardly works. we use google hangouts. one time we were trying to have a planning meeting booked for half an hour, 18 minutes were spent trying to get everyone on the hangout, the hdmi working, screen sharing working, and so forth.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

chmods please posted:

i think that's a setting on the resource calendar you are using for the room and how it processes meetings. default in exchange is to set the appointment title to the name of the person who made the meeting.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

so yeah people get weird about conference rooms and meeting titles

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

do you work in an award-winning prestige comedy series produced by netflix

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i work in a gigantic multinational pharma company

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

i work in a gigantic multinational pharma company

then take notes because that poo poo is absolute gold.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm imagining one hell of a book from a former employee at a multinational pharmaceutical company about the completely bonkers internal culture and politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm really hoping that the retinal scanner thing isn't an embellishment because it's one of those details that would be rejected from a script for being just too loving much

• Locked thread