Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

If it's your first/only Japan trip then you ought to see Kyoto but December is cold so I'd probably peace out to SE Asia (everyone else also wants to do this but most work until December 28th.)

tell us more about your brutal California and Japan winters, peanut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
one time the winter storms got so bad I had to brush some snow off the car

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some people like to see other Asian countries while they are visiting Asia if they won't come back to Asia again soon.

Christmas in Phuket will be full of Australians and Europeans so please keep that in mind.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

"Cold" is a relative term. Kyoto's average low-high for Dec/Jan is 37/34-52/46. That's downright balmy depending on where you're coming from.

Every year we have to have "Winter Preparedness" seminar for all the English teachers in the area. It's a full day and has hour long seminars over things like "Defrosting your windshield", "How to stay warm in your apartment", and "Seasonal Affective Disorder".

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

Christmas in Phuket SE Asia will be full of Australians and Europeans drunk assholes so please keep that in mind.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

This page is now about posting jokes related to holes in Fukuoka.

FUK that's a big hole

Find a hole and FUK it

Holy FUK

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

zmcnulty posted:

This page is now about posting jokes related to holes in Fukuoka.

FUK that's a big hole

Find a hole and FUK it

Holy FUK

Rude. Stop disparaging Ned's damaged hole.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

username and post combo?

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

photomikey posted:

I'm planning on taking the JR from Narita airport to Tokyo, spending a few days in Tokyo, then Tokyo -> Kyoto, few days in Kyoto, then back to Tokyo and to the airport. It's two R/Ts (Narita <-> Tokyo, Tokyo <-> Kyoto), I'm showing I'd save a few yen by getting the JR pass. Anything I'm missing here? There are alternate ways to/from the airport that I could consider.

Yup, it seems for your trip you will save about 4000 yen. Not bad! You can even use it for toodling around in Tokyo at least on the JR lines such as Yamanote.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Some say it's the wettest FUK-hole Japan has seen in years

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hakata's gaping hole is dtFUK

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The Kyushu national museum is in the middle of FUKin no where

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
my wife and kid just went back to FUK today and i'm going in about two weeks!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not sure i did this right

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This guy FUKs

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
FUK me, amirite?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Random tipp for those in Fukuoka: The public library close to Fukuoka tower reqularly screens interesting movies, depending on the program with English subtitles and admission is just 600¥. Two years ago I got to watch some obscure Mongolian movies this time it was a film from Taiwan (which was the most hipster thing I ever saw and kind of sucked, but was interesting from a cultural point of view).
It's worth to check out their program if you are into movies and in the area, though this month there seem to be no movies with English subtitles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
whoa stay safe fukuoka peeps: http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003335321

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mr. Fix It posted:

Rude. Stop disparaging Ned's damaged hole.

I was going to blame the situation on the goon who came to town on Monday.

But that area was under construction for a long rear end time. The mayor's response to the situation was pretty cool and I hope he moves up in the world of politics.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

totalnewbie posted:

How much traveling will you actually be doing on the shinkansen? It's actually not that great of a deal if you're not traveling quite a bit.

For New Year's, most people go home so everything ends up being pretty quiet.

Good to know on the rail pass. I may fly more than take the train.

I'll be in Tokyo, but planning side trips to Kyoto, Fukushima, Osaka, and possibly Okinawa.

Are there any big festivals in December worth checking out?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

T Zero posted:

Good to know on the rail pass. I may fly more than take the train.

I'll be in Tokyo, but planning side trips to Kyoto, Fukushima, Osaka, and possibly Okinawa.

Are there any big festivals in December worth checking out?

Use this site below to check your trips. If you're going back and forth a couple times between Tokyo and Kyoto, Osaka, Fukushima then it may be worth it to get the pass.

MoofOntario posted:

Just to second this, I've never had the cost of the JR Rail Pass work out - you gotta do a fair number of trips in a short amount of time to make it even break even.

There's a cool website where you can put in your itinerary and it tells you out of all the passes (including JR Railpass) if any of them make sense: https://www.japanstation.com/japan-rail-pass-value-calculator/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JAL and probably ANA have flat rate domestic flight deals for foreign tourists.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You should also take into account the freedom of the pass to hop onto whatever train whenever you need to.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
While I was living in Japan (wasn't eligible for the JR pass), I made a weekend trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima using the Shinkansen. Cost me about $200 for the round trip. If I had a full 7 days to travel, just adding a trip to Kyushu would send me over the cost of the JR pass.

If I started from Tokyo, the JR pass would have also been even more worth it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anyone have experience with biking the Shimanami Kaido in between Hiroshima and Fukuyama?

I'm thinking about staying a night in Onomichi and doing the bike ride the next day and then either hitting up Fukuoka or visiting a buddy in Nagoya. Target date: ~March 27th or so.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yup! If you rent a bike you have to return it within office hours. The last time I went there were little bike toll boxes on each bridge that everyone ignored.

The bike lane separates from the highway to go through town on each island, then meets back up at the bridges (so you go up & down each time.) The English signage is pretty clear.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was thinking about renting from the Giant store and then sending my shoes and pedals home via JP Post when I was done with that leg of the trip. :v:

I did some research on it, it looks like it's 70 or 80km one way, right?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah something like that. It sounds like you're a p big bike nerd, you should find forums user Pavel and sperg out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Word, word.

I'm probably going to be back in July for Bit Summit. How bad is the heat in the first 2 weeks of July? There's a good chance that my girlfriend will tag along and she would want to spend a few days touring around that area.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's terrible and awful but the wind on the bridges will feel so good. Just accept that you'll be soaked in sweat all day, and bring lots of extra underwear.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Can anyone suggest a good day trip from Tokyo this time of year that I can use my rail pass with? I've already been to Kamakura.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nikko?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Okutama, Hakone, Odawara, etc.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 16, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can go to mount nokogiri.

And old men will yell at you "MEGANE ONISAN"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hi anyone have any experience driving in the snow?

basically what I am asking is if I need to bring chains just in case if I have a car rented that has winter/studless tires.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

They will have snow tires available if you rent one in winter.

Also driving in snow isn't any different, just go a little slower.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Go slowly, don't make sudden movements, don't try to brake and turn (well you shouldn't normally, anyway), feather the accelerator (especially when trying to turn), be more aware of inclines, look for ice or slush (which will be slipperier than just dry powder snow) - this is especially important in the morning and evening when things start to melt or freeze respectively.

Chains are almost never necessary and can gently caress up the road so don't do that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you've never driven in grip limited environments before, go to an autocross or rent out a skidpad for a few hours so you know that it's not the end of the world when/if you spin your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also start braking a lot earlier than you usually would and do it gradually. Do not slam on the brakes. Accelerate slowly. Basically drive like you're high as gently caress and everything around you is a cop.