Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They need to add the ability to cram an anime waifu with Steven Seagal in the same ship so you can hear both voices at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Have the anime girl in a giant cake or something.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A video of Akizuki on the Chinese server, so you have a general idea of what to expect. Actual shooting starts around the 8:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vKFChdByEA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

A video of Akizuki on the Chinese server, so you have a general idea of what to expect. Actual shooting starts around the 8:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vKFChdByEA

Akizuki looks ok

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Sometimes, your Independence gets put in a T6-8 match. But it's all worth it when you see an enemy NorCar stationary in smoke, do a long-range torpedo drop, and hit a magazine for a 100% to 0 'Detonation' kill.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

When you're playing a battle at 1-5fps, which happens a lot at the moment, along with the audio randomly cutting out, because the halloween patch broke something badly, you get shell impact ribbons on the screen while you can still see your shells in the air.

First battle in my new Emerald, stock, bottom tier, looking good so far

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 8, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cippalippus posted:

Is it me or the New Mexico is quite lacking compared to the Bayern? The latter is better at everything.

The New Mexico I guess is slightly better at deleting things at distances between 5 and 10km because it has 12 guns, but other than that yes, I agree.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

When you're playing a battle at 1-5fps

I have no idea why but about once a month or less even, I get a random game where I have about 5FPS and I have to Alt-F4 and reload the game. Its never even my first game and it happens rarely enough that I haven't really bothered looking into it much.

Far worse is some sort of bug with Royal Navy smoke where the second puff doesn't appear.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

kaesarsosei posted:

I have no idea why but about once a month or less even, I get a random game where I have about 5FPS and I have to Alt-F4 and reload the game. Its never even my first game and it happens rarely enough that I haven't really bothered looking into it much.

Far worse is some sort of bug with Royal Navy smoke where the second puff doesn't appear.

The smoke thing isn't a bug. If it's time to emit another smoke puff and you are close enough to the center of your last one, the game doesn't spawn it. Yeah, that's really dumb. Yeah, that's REALLY unfortunate, sometimes. That's how it is.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Inverse loss-streak brought me back to rank 6. Muwahahahahahaaaaaaa

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I had my first good game in my minekaze. I sank the enemy aircraft carrier by myself, sunk an enemy destroyer, and then an enemy BB before a kongo got a good volley on me that made me explode from about 75% of my life. Of course the rest of my team did jack all and the entire rest of my team sunk a whole 2 ships, but I generally suck horribly in destroyers so this was a really nice change for me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I took the plunge and bought a Belfast and it seems to be really fun. I'm not really sure how the modules work in practice yet but it's doing good work anyway.

I need to find out exactly how the spotting mechanic works in practice so I can use it properly. Does anyone have a good description?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

A Yorck can only carry so hard. :(

Only one other player earned more than 500 XP that round. Most of them were 2-300.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aramoro posted:

I took the plunge and bought a Belfast and it seems to be really fun. I'm not really sure how the modules work in practice yet but it's doing good work anyway.

I need to find out exactly how the spotting mechanic works in practice so I can use it properly. Does anyone have a good description?

There are two circles around your ship with you at the center, one for planes and one for ships. You can see this on the mini-map if you have it toggled; the one for planes is smaller. If an enemy plane is inside the plane circle or a ship inside the ship circle, you're spotted and the little "Sixth Sense" icon will flash. If one enemy ship spots you, your location is shared with the entire enemy team until no one on the enemy team can see you any longer.

If a ship would normally be close enough to spot you, but there is a smoke cloud or an island in the way, you won't be detected. If you're -in- a smoke cloud, you won't be detected unless a ship comes super close (less than 4km, depends on your ship type), and you're undetectable by planes. However, you can't see through that smoke cloud either. If you're in a smoke cloud, you are entirely reliant on friendly ships to spot for you.

The Hydroacoustic Search and RADAR consumables affect spotting as well. Both can pierce through smoke clouds and islands. Hydro is shorter-ranged, but also increases the range at which you spot torpedoes; RADAR is much longer-ranged.

Cyclones can occasionally occur in higher-tier matches. When this happens, spotting range is reduced to drat-near nothing and you can't share your sight with your teammates.

Camouflage, the captain skill Concealment Expert, and the Concealment Module (available from tier 8 and above) can reduce your spotting distance. A few in-game actions can dynamically alter the range at which you are spotted: firing the main guns is the big one, but being on fire or having your secondaries/AA guns going also increases spotting distance. Launching torpedoes doesn't affect it.

So for instance, the Atago has a 9.4km spotting distance with all of the concealment-boosting perks. Her main guns have a 16km range. This means that you can hang back around 12km from an unsuspecting battleship, wait for him to fire his guns at someone else, fire a volley, and disappear entirely before he has a chance to fire back. Wait for him to give up and fire at someone else, then do it again. You can't hit what you can't see--it's like having a Romulan Cloaking Device.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

744 games and I am at rank 5.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Got my first Super Container, 250 Sierra Mikes (+5% speed) , not a bad signal to have.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

So I was thinking to use this to finish off the Konig to Bayern, or should I wait for something else? I'd like to hear some suggestions from the crowd.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Timmy Horsey posted:

So I was thinking to use this to finish off the Konig to Bayern, or should I wait for something else? I'd like to hear some suggestions from the crowd.

Do not use free xp to finish off a ship grind. Use it once you finish to get the modules for the next ship so you wont suffer through 20 games in default bullshit stock equipment.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Just be aware that the Missouri is going to be purchased with free XP, so if you spend it now to end grinds, you probably won't have enough for it when it comes out. Don't know if it appeals to you or not, but it IS going to be a T9 premium.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Chances are it's going to take a gently caress ton of free exp to get the Missouri, not that I would know how to play in a tier 9 game anyway. My highest ship in the Pensacola and i'd like to work on other ships that's not a cruiser :v: But i'll heed these words and hold on my free XP.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Vengarr posted:

So for instance, the Atago has a 9.4km spotting distance with all of the concealment-boosting perks.

9.1km with the -3% camo :frogc00l:

Also rumors/leaks has it the Missouri will be 800k free XP.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheFluff posted:

9.1km with the -3% camo :frogc00l:

Also rumors/leaks has it the Missouri will be 800k free XP.

Only a 0.7 km area of stealth fire though, so you're not going to be pulling the shenanigans Ibuki and Zao can get up to with their multi-km stealth firing areas. Fading in and out will generally be your modus operandi, though taking advantage of your invisi-torping window can be amusing on occasion. Really need to be careful at that range though, as you have a fairly large and not terribly well protected citadel.

And 800k free XP. :stare: Well guess it's just as well I was considering buying the middle Belfast package and its 5,000 doubloons, because I'm going to need them for XP conversion if I want Missouri.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

800k? Lol. Maybe if you could "buy" it with unconverted xp. That's going to be the ultimate whale barge - $128 USD worth of doubloons just to convert that.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
800k free xp is not realistic. Not unless they want people to (very accurately) say that it's a paid for premium. There's probably only a handful of players that have close to that number, and most of them likely have spent money to get it. I benefited from a BUG and I only have 400k. Jesus.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Which bug?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If memory serves, he and a few others got 100k+ from an bugged mission event before it was fixed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I don't really like the Colorado but when you get that game where you don't mess up your positioning right at the start and spend the rest of your game either getting shot to poo poo or hopelessly trying to catch up, it's very strong. gently caress slow ships tho.

BTW if you play your cards right you can totally outbrawl Scharnhorsts/Gneisenaus, the Colorado is super good at dodging torps

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

800k free xp is not realistic. Not unless they want people to (very accurately) say that it's a paid for premium. There's probably only a handful of players that have close to that number, and most of them likely have spent money to get it. I benefited from a BUG and I only have 400k. Jesus.

Pretty funny, considering they're adding a tier 9 premium because not enough people are playing high tier, and they're trying to up it with a shortcut

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

800k is the price to get to basically any tier 9 from nothing. They won't make it 800k that's fuckin nuts.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I hope it is 800k, because that will remove absolutely any temptation for me to buy a ship that realistically I probably won't play much anyway :shrug:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty funny, considering they're adding a tier 9 premium because not enough people are playing high tier, and they're trying to up it with a shortcut

I know they don't ever bother with this, but maybe if they balanced tier X to make it enjoyable, they wouldn't have this problem.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

When will it be released?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheFluff posted:

I don't really like the Colorado but when you get that game where you don't mess up your positioning right at the start and spend the rest of your game either getting shot to poo poo or hopelessly trying to catch up, it's very strong. gently caress slow ships tho.

I drove my CO at half speed most of the time and it was great.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I found the Colorado to be a real bright spot in the line. Guns can maul anything you will face, a great heal makes up for the mediocre HP pool, and your armor is excellent when angled. But oh man the speed sucks when you want to contest that objective you didnt spawn by, or chase down a ship.

And to think that after launch I actually considered saving up my free exp to skip it, because I wanted the NC - which looks like a proper battleship. When I did get to the NC I didnt really enjoy it. And the Iowa, while a powerful ship, has the same weaknesses.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lakedaimon posted:

And to think that after launch I actually considered saving up my free exp to skip it, because I wanted the NC - which looks like a proper battleship. When I did get to the NC I didnt really enjoy it. And the Iowa, while a powerful ship, has the same weaknesses.

NCs biggest problem is the extremely low shell speed, makes it super vulnerable to any cruiser that can reliably hit it with HE from over 16km away.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Even though I'm Whalely McWhale in this game with who knows how many premiums, I don't think I'm going to drop over $100 for the Missouri.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I caved in and bought permanent camo for Montana. -50% repair cost is pretty handy when you want to play tier 10 without any worries.

And no I won't grind for Missouri when it's worse than Iowa fully upgraded.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Which tier Xs have repair cost-reducing permanent camo now? Montana, Shimakaze, ????

E: vv oh that is all of them, huh.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 10, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I thought all of them got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Armored patrol has a bunch of stuff from supertest.

German DD's, which initially look pretty weak from 2-5, suddenly grow 150mm guns at tier 6, then drop to 128mm guns at tier 9. They don't look really torpedo heavy, so its another gunboat DD group. Hard to tell without torp stats.

Also the Graf Spree is in, tier 6 cruiser with 283mm guns. Kinda slow though, under 30kts.

The Missouri will be 800k free xp according to stats. I've never had more then 25k free xp in this game, so I guess someone can enjoy it.