Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Natalie Portman covered in hot grits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chalks posted:

- a post on somethingawful.com in 2016
lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

and petrified

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lmao work doubled the length of our support developer rotation behind my back and didn't tell me until i asked who was taking over this week.

[ask] me about getting owned.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

JawnV6 posted:

im just the dumb ol' systems guy, but why is someone who can spin functional magicks as well as you on call??

i develop telephony systems, and like hell is my company going to pay for someone to do ops when they can just make me do it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

echinopsis posted:

person should have discovered free sex and then he would live for the dizzying heights and subterreran lows of having lots of sex

can you take your weird sex-obsessed fail aids to a different thread pls? the post you quoted was about a dude who chose euthanasia over horrible cancer ffs.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
honestly nobody is impressed by your lovely pink dick or the places you put it

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

MSPain posted:

honestly nobody is impressed by your lovely pink dick or the places you put it

this but about your posting

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
welp, i got owned again

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

lmao work doubled the length of our support developer rotation behind my back and didn't tell me until i asked who was taking over this week.

[ask] me about getting owned.

[tell] us about your new job search

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
meditech programmer checking-in

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nern posted:

OH MY GOD

please explain MAGIC to me. it's loving incomprehensible!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

[tell] us about your new job search

i left my previous job after less than a year so i'm stuck with this one for a while yet. :toot:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol com loving sucks so much my god

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nern posted:

hello, how many people have you killed with bad code

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

this

also dont steal our trade secrets im sure my lovely posts are going to let you reverse engineer an amazing product lol

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Bloody posted:

you rang?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
haha. had a call with a new provider system were brining on and they had their tech people on the phone responsible for parts of epic and they were confused when I was talking about API access.

have a call later this week with their epic "integration team" which idk if that's some other clueless person in the hospital or if its someone from epic. cant wait.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrMoo posted:

slashdot has a big post on US tech salaries and the majority of replies are employees proud of their lack of work-life balance and jealously of Indian outsourcing.

i just looked it up. the majority of replies are saying that outsourcing indian devs sucks for the obvious reasons.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

is this com automation or just plain vanilla com because honestly the regular poo poo isn't THAT bad...

well ok structured storage looked like an utter pile of wank

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its my project where im driving headless winword instances over com to scrape data
hard to say if winword is hanging on a (hidden, of course) dialogbox or if the network accessed word documents are just taking forever to iterate through

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

uh, well, not so much "rang" as "dynamically generate vtbl entries to point at a chunk of asm that dynamically points to hackbunny at runtime"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Bloody posted:

its my project where im driving headless winword instances over com to scrape data

lol :rip:
why do you think they gradually switched to xml based documents

Bloody posted:

hard to say if winword is hanging on a (hidden, of course) dialogbox or if the network accessed word documents are just taking forever to iterate through

headless word does hang on dialog boxes all the time, I remember it happened to me too last time I tried the same. headless word has never been a supported office automation scenario and it will cause all sorts of problems. the classic word document format is now documented too if that was stopping you so why not look for a nice library. one maybe that's based on a dom or a streaming api instead of word's weirdo range primitive

nern
Oct 29, 2005

Soricidus posted:

i wonder this myself from time to time.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

OH MY GOD

please explain MAGIC to me. it's loving incomprehensible!

for flow control, there are only IF and DO
0 evaluates to true

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i wrote an outlook integration job that on 50% of runs logs out "error during cleanup: COM interop probably failed. ignore." because it would continuously fail to release its sessions and shutdown cleanly

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

it was so long before I discovered that "grits" wasn't the same thing as grit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nern posted:

i wonder this myself from time to time.

for flow control, there are only IF and DO
0 evaluates to true

huh, i wonder why they decided to diverge from MUMPS and make 0=true. only having if and do isn't that different from mumps when you consider that mumps' else can be broken by nested scopes changing $t.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

that's not com's fault its word's

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

swr

nern
Oct 29, 2005

huh, i wonder why they decided to diverge from MUMPS and make 0=true. only having if and do isn't that different from mumps when you consider that mumps' else can be broken by nested scopes changing $t.

semi-colons work for elses and you can use these to structure DO loops as do-while or do-until. yeah, nil is the only thing that evaluates false. oh, and MAGIC (and it's successor FS) is really big on the fact that there is always a current working value. at any point in the running of a program, there is a current value which is simply the value of the last evaluated expression. whether the current value is non-nil is the condition of many an IF or DO.
to be perfectly honest, MAGIC isn't even half as hard to decipher as FS, the programming language at the core of meditech's more current software. the language consists of lists and two letter functions, basically. like @Wb - write body of window. there are tons of functions. and the documentation is terrible. and they often don't make sense intuitively and you can't name your code members (methods, basically) they are numbered 0 and up, so if you were to add one in the rest get renumbered and all your references are hosed.
it's a mess. this is my first job after transitioning careers into software and I'm just in awe. gonna put my time in, keep learnin', and try to find something better (in every other way too; it's a long commute and they do not pay well at all).
anyway... what's the typing like in MUMPS?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nern posted:

semi-colons work for elses and you can use these to structure DO loops as do-while or do-until. yeah, nil is the only thing that evaluates false. oh, and MAGIC (and it's successor FS) is really big on the fact that there is always a current working value. at any point in the running of a program, there is a current value which is simply the value of the last evaluated expression. whether the current value is non-nil is the condition of many an IF or DO.
to be perfectly honest, MAGIC isn't even half as hard to decipher as FS, the programming language at the core of meditech's more current software. the language consists of lists and two letter functions, basically. like @Wb - write body of window. there are tons of functions. and the documentation is terrible. and they often don't make sense intuitively and you can't name your code members (methods, basically) they are numbered 0 and up, so if you were to add one in the rest get renumbered and all your references are hosed.
it's a mess. this is my first job after transitioning careers into software and I'm just in awe. gonna put my time in, keep learnin', and try to find something better (in every other way too; it's a long commute and they do not pay well at all).
anyway... what's the typing like in MUMPS?

theres a treasure trove 4u if you filter on my posts itt.

mumps is loosely and dynamically typed. internally there are strings and numbers but they're cast back and forth as needed.

nern
Oct 29, 2005

theres a treasure trove 4u if you filter on my posts itt.

mumps is loosely and dynamically typed. internally there are strings and numbers but they're cast back and forth as needed.

I will definitely be perusing your posts. Epic sounds much better than Meditech Hahahah. (already knew we sucked, didn't know if it was an industry thing).

I've only been in a training group for the past few months since I started. I have a twisted desire to get placed in one of the old school $T groups and just throw my mouse in the garbage. then I say, god, no, let me get thrown into a group working with the new web ehr stuff. but then I remember, no, you don't get to write code in anything that's not MAGI, FS, or MAT. maybe I can find the right dick to suck and get put in a group that actually works on the front end of that web her and write code in a REAL programming language... JavaScript. . . . . .... :psyboom:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

nern posted:

FS, the programming language at the core of meditech's more current software. the language consists of lists and two letter functions, basically. like @Wb - write body of window. there are tons of functions. and the documentation is terrible. and they often don't make sense intuitively and you can't name your code members (methods, basically) they are numbered 0 and up, so if you were to add one in the rest get renumbered and all your references are hosed.

never thought i'd say this, but i think i'd rather use mumps

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
what i'm getting from this thread is that the medical software industry is hella exploitative of people trying to break into dev roles

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

nern posted:

REAL programming language... JavaScript. . . . . .... :psyboom:

as much as i like to lol at javascript and web "development", the poo poo you and LMO describe sound like esolangs.

after describing something like this

nern posted:

(methods, basically) they are numbered 0 and up, so if you were to add one in the rest get renumbered and all your references are hosed.

i'm revoking your rights to using :psyboom: in reference to js.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Yeah, the word com api is absolutely terrible. I've done work involving editing and generating documents via that API and holy crap you can do some wonderful things. We had code that deleted a particular line in a table embedded in the document. If the table didn't contain that line, the delete command still ran on the location it thought that element should be but instead managed to delete the end of the document.

I don't mean it deleted some content from the end of the document, but it literally deleted what ever concept word has meaning "the document ends here". The document would literally scroll infinitely downwards until word exploded.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

nern posted:

I will definitely be perusing your posts. Epic sounds much better than Meditech Hahahah. (already knew we sucked, didn't know if it was an industry thing).

I've only been in a training group for the past few months since I started. I have a twisted desire to get placed in one of the old school $T groups and just throw my mouse in the garbage. then I say, god, no, let me get thrown into a group working with the new web ehr stuff. but then I remember, no, you don't get to write code in anything that's not MAGI, FS, or MAT. maybe I can find the right dick to suck and get put in a group that actually works on the front end of that web her and write code in a REAL programming language... JavaScript. . . . . .... :psyboom:

FS has named code members but I'm not sure if that is really enabled for everything. it also has about the same readability as regular expressions.

I can truly say that writing JavaScript is the highlight of my day. maybe I need an intervention.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

FS has named code members but I'm not sure if that is really enabled for everything. it also has about the same readability as regular expressions.

I can truly say that writing JavaScript is the highlight of my day. maybe I need an intervention.
as a person who had a weird meltdown about modern webdev and hedonistic use of javascript libraries just a couple pages ago, i feel that something might be off when you slander a "mainstream" language coming from esoteric niche-lang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

:sever:
just find a better job

• Locked thread