Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

...:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Kanos posted:

Brave synergy is so powerful that characters under Brave synergy will likely be stronger than your average A team, so I don't really see much of a difference, especially since these are pretty easy bosses. It's not like a Cid Mission where you're going in with drastically reduced power and being forced to come up with a strategy to work around the issue.

You missed my point entirely. I spoke nothing of challenge, difficulty or ease of completing the fight. This game is about nostalgia, remembering the prior stories and characters by using them in battle. Wiping everything with your same A-team boss after boss seems rather boring. But if that's how you like to play, fine. I like to use other characters and their relics that don't even make the C team.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I wish Samurai had some kind of actual single target abilities so I could feel justified in diving gilgamesh more.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Are we going to get a mostly/all OSB banner in the future?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Koobes posted:

I wish Samurai had some kind of actual single target abilities so I could feel justified in diving gilgamesh more.

Well, there's Hailstorm, which is a pretty neat ice nuclear attack that gives a unique +30% Attack/-30% Res buff.

The catch is that's in the limbo of the FF11 event and no one knows what the hell is going to happen with that, because while that's soon, it's also technically a collab...

Zebia posted:

nnnnno.

There was,in JP, a two OSB banner during OSBfest in a month or so, and Ultros banner about five months out had four.

That's about as good as you're doing.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 8, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Zebia posted:

The only banner we've seen yet in JP with more than one OSB was OSBfest banner 4, and one of them was Tyro's very "ehhhhhh" OSB.

The banner format will change soon to 3 BSB or 1 OSB/2 BSB per banner and has not yet changed from that in Japan. OSBfest banners are the only ones that have had 1 OSB/3 BSB or 2 OSB/2 BSB.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh hey, probably good news for anyone looking to pull on the 5/7/8 Lucky Draw

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/blog/2016/11/07/upcoming-in-app-announcement-realm-dungeon-lu-1

"Please note that there may be certain Unique Soul Breaks that are not included." Meaning a trimmed list. Hopefully this'll mean no Buster Swords or Revolvers, or other ancient relics.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The only banner we've seen yet in JP with more than one OSB was OSBfest banner 4, and one of them was Tyro's very "ehhhhhh" OSB.

The banner format will change soon to 3 BSB or 1 OSB/2 BSB per banner and has not yet changed from that in Japan. OSBfest banners are the only ones that have had 1 OSB/3 BSB or 2 OSB/2 BSB.

Actually at least the last several events have had a 1 OSB & 3 BSB banner format. Like so: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5b20by/destroyer_of_light_and_dark_jp_megathread_iii/

I haven't dug back to see when the change occurred, but it's been that way for at least the current III event and the previous IX event.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh thank god the lucky banner is tomorrow. I've been itching for an 11 pull

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

SageAcrin posted:

Well, there's Hailstorm, which is a pretty neat ice nuclear attack that gives a unique +30% Attack/-30% Res buff.

The catch is that's in the limbo of the FF11 event and no one knows what the hell is going to happen with that, because while that's soon, it's also technically a collab...

Oh poo poo, though hailstorm was aoe. *eyes icebrand sitting in my vault* this'll do quite well for him. Now to work on +samurai damage rms

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually at least the last several events have had a 1 OSB & 3 BSB banner format. Like so: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5b20by/destroyer_of_light_and_dark_jp_megathread_iii/

I haven't dug back to see when the change occurred, but it's been that way for at least the current III event and the previous IX event.
My bad. I checked the current III event to be sure and only saw 1OSB/2BSB but on checking again, the third BSB is a broken image :downs:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

KataraniSword posted:

The notification describes it as "youngsters". Shantotto and Papalymo aren't kids, they're potatoes. :colbert:

Then they should have called it "Age matters not" instead of "Size matters not" :colbert:

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh thank god the lucky banner is tomorrow. I've been itching for an 11 pull

Same. I'm actually sitting on 233 mythril and have no idea what I'm going to splurge on, but I'll always take a chance on half-price Lucky Draws

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I have like 260 and waiting on the Glenn Jacobs Banner because I want to Summon Titan as muh favorite cheers on wanton destruction.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Wow, there is no way that I can kill Omega Weapon with a regular Shout team before running out of hones, its defenses are just too high and I don't have enough good sources of water/NE damage. I guess I'll have to try to do the Tidus OSB RW method and hope I don't die while trying to whittle him down without Haste, does anyone know approximately how low you have to get its HP before 2 RW casts will kill it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Wow, there is no way that I can kill Omega Weapon with a regular Shout team before running out of hones, its defenses are just too high and I don't have enough good sources of water/NE damage. I guess I'll have to try to do the Tidus OSB RW method and hope I don't die while trying to whittle him down without Haste, does anyone know approximately how low you have to get its HP before 2 RW casts will kill it?

I think I was doing around 40k with each cast with Shout up and Full Break on Omega, but my RWed Tidus was only lvl 80 and not using Gold Hairpin, so if you find a totally maxed out one you could probably squeeze out a decent bit more than that. I haven't beaten him yet, but my hones are trash and I feel like I might still be able to get there with a ton of luck.

I could hone some of my water skills up a bit higher, but that would require me breaking down major ice orbs, and I'm prioritizing R2 Full Break pretty heavily right now. It looks to me like the rewards for the U++ aren't worth the setback that losing multiple major ice orbs would cost me on that front, so I'll probably just try a few different strategies and just let it go if that doesn't work, since U and U+ rewards seem a lot more useful anyway.

Also hnghh why does this game keep tempting me with lucky draws when I'm trying to save mythril. I'm never skipped one before, just because at half price it's hard to justify not pulling when my synergy isn't amazing anywhere yet, but V, VII, and VIII are among my strongest realms right now so if they don't trim down the pool a bunch and get rid of all the really poo poo-tier relics that were seemingly on the JP version, I might pass this one up.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably pull and then kick myself later when I don't have enough for one of the other banners I really want.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 8, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I was using two r4 Watera Strikes, one r2 Sapphire Shot, Armor Breakdown (very useful here) and Tidus OSB RW, with over 600 attack. That hit for about 70,000 after Armor BD + Full Break, leaving maybe about 1/3rd to be hacked away manually.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got a third magic blink in the form of Kimahri's SSB and a second copy of Fire Lash out of two dollar draws. I have amazing luck with those.

Now that I have three magic blinks including Firion's at instant speed I should be even more regularly steamrolling bosses that are otherwise out of my league.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oops was posting in the wrong thread, repost

Playing around with my first OSB (Tidus):

-drat OSB weapons have some high stats. It has much higher attack than any 5*, alongside the element boost i's better than many synergy weapons depending on your selection. With Synergy it's just absurd

-It boosts water, the OSB does water, that's really cool. I dunno if other OSB weapons do that but if not it seems like a clear win for this one

-They added a 5* water skill the same time they added this and Tidus can use it. I'm actually honing it up, it's very good for him. It doesn't matter that you're not using a ranged weapon because the sword boosts water anyway. The 4* skill is nice too, it's basically Water Bladeblitz but not something I would drag around to every battle.

- He can do powerchain/full charge but I'm sticking to the sharpshooter skill for now. I might just give Lifesiphon for the other slot, his selection is not great.

- As crazy powerful as the OSB is it's really just a giant blob of damage. I know that's the point but I would still like to get some DPS bursts I think, especially with the utility a lot give.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Has there ever been this many active banners to pull on before? Holy moly. I'm just saving all my mythril for now, I'm overwhelmed.

Edit: Although the Lucky Draw tonight is 1/2 price... that'll do to scratch the pull itch for now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To be fair, 5 of them were supposed to have ended already, except for that Halloween mythril problem.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The final difficulty of It's About Age, Not Size, Loc Team is pretty seriously beating on me. I have bad SB options for this bunch (the best I have is Vivi's W-Decay), and even with Multi Break on things are doing too much damage.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Meh, I couldn't wait to do an 11-pull so I pulled on the Girl Power Banner - got another copy of Yoichi's Bow which is ehhhh but I finally got Lightbringer :getin:

One of the cool things about having Maria's song is running fights on the FFX banner with a mixed team without synergy characters - had Celes casting Maria's Song, Ramza with Unsung Hero (instead of Shout), Terra casting Chain -aga spells and Magitek Missile, and Yuffie spamming Dismissal and Gauntlet - probably one of the easier events so far.

Of course I'll probably eat my words at the 160 difficulty boss.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

AweStriker posted:

The final difficulty of It's About Age, Not Size, Loc Team is pretty seriously beating on me. I have bad SB options for this bunch (the best I have is Vivi's W-Decay), and even with Multi Break on things are doing too much damage.

I didn't have much trouble so it's a little hard to give advice, but my suggestion would be to get a Maria BSB RW on Vivi and spam her second AoE command. It works well especially if your Summon hones are weak, and the stackable MAG buff should help.

Bring someone for hitting Ice for Mastery and then the rest can focus on mitigation, perhaps someone with the Witchcraft shared SB off the Witch's Hat or just casting Faith on Vivi. If you have it, native Wall is worth bringing over one of the kids.

Edit: Depending on your A team it might be easier to ignore the kids altogether.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 8, 2016

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I didn't bring protect for the kids' ultimate thinking I'd get slammed with magic more often and everyone was back row anyway. Yeah thank christ I have Eiko's BSB cause those pricks didn't stop punching poor Vivi.

Still mastered though.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

pichupal posted:

I didn't have much trouble so it's a little hard to give advice, but my suggestion would be to get a Maria BSB RW on Vivi and spam her second AoE command. It works well especially if your Summon hones are weak, and the stackable MAG buff should help.

Bring someone for hitting Ice for Mastery and then the rest can focus on mitigation, perhaps someone with the Witchcraft shared SB off the Witch's Hat or just casting Faith on Vivi. If you have it, native Wall is worth bringing over one of the kids.

Edit: Depending on your A team it might be easier to ignore the kids altogether.

I mostly had trouble with this because I forgot that they revive after a while.

I did this one mostly spamming Chain Blizzaga, Chain Firaga, and Last Judgment Grimoire and timing it so they died at around the same time. Didn't even need to use native wall even though it was there.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I have two words for people having problems with the Size Matters Master fight;

Meteor Crusher.

RW'd it, Falcon Dive w/Shout off two non-synergy people with ehn gear killed the Earth weak one and blew half the life off the other two by the end of the Burst. From there, cleanup. Didn't have a single synergy kid.

(Also they have a 45-45-45% chance of normal physicals, so Drawtaliate works fine too far as I can tell. In fact, they have no non-Drawtaliateable physicals, so leave that Protect crap at home and go full Draw Fire/Retaliate if you go that method, save the slot. Personally didn't have to care thanks to Native Wall and wrecking them so fast, though it got a bit dicey at points for me.)

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I'm pretty sure anyone having problems with the Ultimate Pigtrio is trying to do it with synergy kids.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I did it with synergy active, mostly just with dances + Meteor/Maduin/Ruinga from three caster kids. Nothing too bad for people that have solid hones on non-elemental AoE.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, synergy fight? Ehn, I'm pretty sure that's not optimal unless you have long time hones and stuff, built in specific areas like NE summons... but whatever, there's a similar option.

Meteor XVI, Sunfire, strikes two weaknesses. :v:

Honestly, since it grants a +mag with that command, and Burst boosts magic, it's probably better than RWing a Faithga even if you lack one, given that you're getting synergy bonuses.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 8, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Honestly, if you already have some good 4-star hones and moderately honed 5-star Chain -gas, you can skate by on just single-target damage and some dancing. I mean, for the hell of it I gave R4 Maduin to Tyro, but he was only doing ~3K per target per cast and thus not terribly much. (I also had R1 Meltdown, but that only made things faster.) Apparently the timer for how long it takes between one of them dying and the whole group getting back up is 20 seconds. :psyduck:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Koobes posted:

If you're diving gilgamesh, give him 5* dragoon and you're set. Turns out jump time continues during animations, so set speed to 5 during a summon or an ssb and you're set! Or make blood of the wyvern, which to be fair is a pretty decent 4* skill.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

This Ultimate Size fight is actually kicking my rear end, which seems to be par for the course with any multi-target fights. Not having any good summons honed up doesn't help, so I'm stuck trying to do it with a physical team again.

I've got native Shout so I'll probably have to RW Wall, since they keep punching people for like 2k damage even with Protectga up. Might have to bite the bullet and craft Multi-Break finally, even though I couldn't hone it. I've got Gilgamesh's BSB, so I can use that for the Drawtaliate combo, but damage-wise I'll probably be relying on Beatrix's BSB and Ramza's BSB after he gets Shout up. My only other leveled up dude with a multi-target SB is Zack, but it's probably not worth bringing him since I already have a Hastega. Other than that, I dunno. I've got Bladeblitz that I could bring to R2, I guess, and I'd probably stick R3 Ruinga on Tyro along with Multi-Break.

Orbfest cannot come fast enough.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I did it with four synergy chars + Tyro (because he SHOULD be included :colbert: and I didn't have any other kids leveled up), mostly 65ish with one 50 and tyro at 88, and it was rougher than the other two but not terrible. You get basically every summoner so I basically just used Sheepsong, had Rikku multi break, and then spammed summons until they died.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Even with the synergy kids, I found that this setup made it a non-issue:

Rikku - Multi Break / Enveloping Etude
Eiko - Curaja / Shellga
Rydia - Valefor / Leviathan
Krile - Ixion / Blizzaja (for mastery)
Hope - Alexander / Maduin

RW: Sheepsong

I was honestly overhoned with most of that at R4/R5 - as long as each character has 5 or 6 hones total (so R2-R3 on the summons) you should be able to burn all three down pretty easily. Everyone was at 65+, though, that probably had an effect, as did a decent stack of mage relics (albeit not for any of those characters except Hope and Eiko)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Gotta say that the Summon daily can't come soon enough. Feels like weekly events reward a lot less summon orbs, than they used to when I started, making it harder for new players to actually have a solid base of summon abilities.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Attestant posted:

Gotta say that the Summon daily can't come soon enough. Feels like weekly events reward a lot less summon orbs, than they used to when I started, making it harder for new players to actually have a solid base of summon abilities.

I've been playing since whatever event gave out Rikku's Thief Wardrobe Sphere, and I've participated in every event that I possibly could. With a R4 Ramuh and a R1 Valefor crafted, I have 5 major summoning orbs and 14 greater summoning orbs in the bank. So yeah, a relatively new player is basically poo poo out of luck on crafting / honing summons at all. I'm pretty sure R3 or R4 Valefor would completely tap me out on summon orbs until Orbfest.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I could hone some of my water skills up a bit higher, but that would require me breaking down major ice orbs, and I'm prioritizing R2 Full Break pretty heavily right now. It looks to me like the rewards for the U++ aren't worth the setback that losing multiple major ice orbs would cost me on that front, so I'll probably just try a few different strategies and just let it go if that doesn't work, since U and U+ rewards seem a lot more useful anyway.

Gonna echo the advice of others in this thread with more wisdom and skill than we have and point out that this is a bad idea. Hone the 3s and 4s to a comfortable level before chasing the 5s.

I had no problem doing Daedalus or any of the last several U+/U++ bosses and my Full Break is only R1. If you have the 6 skills from the five dooms event they can really help bridge the gap too.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 9, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

New level of power creep hitting JP soon - Limit Chain SSBs, which basically seem to be based off of FF11 skill-chaining.

Not sure exactly how I feel about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Speaking of FF11, I'm saving everything for the ffxi event. We better drat well get it.

• Locked thread