Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009
is there anyone else playing this in australia still or is a week and a half after it came out already too loving late?

the game is awesome, I just wish it didn't take 15 mins to match me with a bunch of singaporeans at 200ms at peak time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

just give tone the quad rockets from the first game instead of the 40mm, and reduce the damage of salvo core. there, i fixed tone

That also works.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jibs Monteef posted:

is there anyone else playing this in australia still or is a week and a half after it came out already too loving late?

Absolutely... if you're on xbone.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'll always try to help support FrothyOmen because he's a cool dude. He recently did a video on the Alternator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGRRCBt6CKs

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I am not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure double XP works on your happy hour bonus.

Testing would require NOT doing it one night, but I get like 10 happy hour merits every time I use it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

:hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndoy1YG9AGM

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I know there's also a unique melee animation if you kill someone right after you drop off from a wallrun

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jibs Monteef posted:

the game is awesome, I just wish it didn't take 15 mins to match me with a bunch of singaporeans at 200ms at peak time

What platform are you playing it on?
On Bounty Hunt and Attrition there's like 190-250 people on at all times on PS4.
Good luck on any of the other modes though. There's 50ish people on Hardpoint and literally nobody on Mixtape for some reason (probably a feedback loop - nobody plays it so nobody queues so nobody plays...)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Instead of Tone getting nerfed I'd rather have them buff the other titans. Also, make more character customization available, I want to sport some more fancy cloaks on all loadouts.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

bewilderment posted:

On Bounty Hunt and Attrition there's like 190-250 people on at all times on PS4.
Good luck on any of the other modes though. There's 50ish people on Hardpoint and literally nobody on Mixtape for some reason (probably a feedback loop - nobody plays it so nobody queues so nobody plays...)

Urgh, its poo poo like this that makes me angry that they shoved this game out in the middle of BF and COD. How was Titanfall ever supposed to stand a chance?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Yeah the flying knee melee is awesome.
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/TtkGHjv

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

bewilderment posted:

that's your datacentre, there's like 10-20 thousand people on ps4 at most times

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is a loving clinic on how to play Ion goddamn.

chumbler posted:

I don't know why anyone would ever not take grapple.

For me I wish it were faster. Even when you're running and grappling it feels like you're being dragged through mud.

sockpuppetclock posted:

I'm starting to feel like they should take the aoe from Tone's gun and give it to Northstar instead.

Agreed. Tone's gun in the first Titanfall was GREAT against titans because it was super accurate and made getting critical hits relatively easy. However it did NOT have splash damage so if you wanted to kill a pilot you have to be dead on and it was real tough. Now it's a joke.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

runchild posted:

Yeah the flying knee melee is awesome.
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/TtkGHjv

Holy poo poo. I didn't know you could be Captain Falcon in this game.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Yodzilla posted:

Agreed. Tone's gun in the first Titanfall was GREAT against titans because it was super accurate and made getting critical hits relatively easy. However it did NOT have splash damage so if you wanted to kill a pilot you have to be dead on and it was real tough. Now it's a joke.

I never played TF1, but I think this is the change I would make if it were up to me. Those rounds shouldn't be explosive from a functionality perspective anyway. They help acquire lock-on for Tone's missiles. If they blow themselves up, how exactly does that work? I don't care if direct hits one-shot pilots, but there's way too much magdumping through windows going on here. Remove the splash damage, and I think that goes a long way towards de-toning Tone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Instead of Tone getting nerfed I'd rather have them buff the other titans. Also, make more character customization available, I want to sport some more fancy cloaks on all loadouts.

I wouldn't. If they buff the other titans, titan TTLs will be way too low. I'd like to be able to stomp around in my robots as much as possible.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

This is a loving clinic on how to play Ion goddamn.

For me I wish it were faster. Even when you're running and grappling it feels like you're being dragged through mud.

Wasn't the 40mm hitscan though?
I remember it being my favourite weapon and pretty versatile against pilots and titans.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Unrelated, but I really wish Ion's primary worked like the L-Star, just because the cooldown animations on it look cool (and it would save me from having to reload when the gun is partially empty and no one's around :v:).

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unrelated, but I really wish Ion's primary worked like the L-Star, just because the cooldown animations on it look cool (and it would save me from having to reload when the gun is partially empty and no one's around :v:).

Ever had to "reload" the L-Star because you overheated it? I can't imagine getting hosed harder in an Ion than overheating and getting stuck with a reload sequence that long. I'm kind of with you on that otherwise. I feel like I'm constantly reloading from partial mags on that thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Honest Thief posted:

Instead of Tone getting nerfed I'd rather have them buff the other titans.

This is, in effect, a nerf of pilots. No thanks. Titans vs Pilots are in a good place for anyone not named Tone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Give Tone the Arc Cannon or XOTBR-16 Chaingun, problem solved. I think the Arc Cannon should come back, it was awesome.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just think it's funny that they looked at Ronin and then looked at Tone and were like 'yeah these guys are roughly similar in power'

Ronin is so hard to play, you guys. So hard. I'm giving up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just think it's funny that they looked at Ronin and then looked at Tone and were like 'yeah these guys are roughly similar in power'

It's funny to me that Ronin has less health than Tone.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Yes. Sword Core is useless for fighting Titans and you should never fight a titan that is directly engaging you as Ronin for any reason. This is a bad way to design a Titan but he's not useless.

I like him in AI farming modes where you can just zip around, avoid dangerous engagements and just farm the squishy meatsicles and tiny inferior robots. Sword Core is good for killing the drop ship.

I think he's been overbalanced for sure. The Leadwall does not need a max range. It should be minimally effective at range, that's how shotguns work. If not, increase the spread.

Also they should fix Phase Dashing on top of another titan straight killing you. That's bullshit. It happened to me when I emerged on top of a loving reaper even. That shouldn't happen.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
To everyone who likes the alternator, try the flat line. It's like a better alternator.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Not going to say Ronin is good, or on par with any other Titan (though I think better than Northstar, which is just horrible), but he can be used to good effect with the right strategy, and on the right map (avoid on Homestead for instance). Really it's about knowing when to engage and when to retreat. Ronin isn't bad at killing pilots, but it's not great against titans. However, you're fast, so you can close in on a 1v1 and ruin some poo poo. I treat Ronin like a suicide bomber mostly though. Two dashes and a phase make for plenty of mobility, so nuclear eject is the clear choice for me. I can do fine in most 1v1 and 2v2 situations by skirmishing, and preying on weak targets, and backing out where necessary, but when I see a pack of enemy titans, it's nuke time. Especially if they're backed into a corner already. Several times last night the nuke strategy resulted in an instant new Ronin. Nothing better than melting a fresh Scorch or Legion instantly. I almost look forward to the doomed state.

That said, I'm far more effective with other Titans, so I wouldn't pick him if I was playing a competitive game. Still can be fun though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Jibs Monteef posted:

I play on PC and I'm not sure wtf is going on with your game. On the east coast I get games in just a couple mins all day, even at 5-6am it only takes about 5mins. No issues with ping either, always around 30-40ms.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 8, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWYd5SpAWU

Things I learned:

Pilots and Legion (!) can shoot through friendly titans

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Av027 posted:

Ever had to "reload" the L-Star because you overheated it? I can't imagine getting hosed harder in an Ion than overheating and getting stuck with a reload sequence that long. I'm kind of with you on that otherwise. I feel like I'm constantly reloading from partial mags on that thing.

I have, and I'd be completely fine with that trade-off. You still have your energy pool and thus Laser Shot as a weapon and Vortex Shield to buy time to find cover and reload.

e;

Daztek posted:

Things I learned:

Gravity Star stops ejections! :aaaaa:

The Legion thing obviously needs to be fixed because holy poo poo.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Daztek posted:

Things I learned:

Ronin phasing into an enemy titan kills them.

Nerf Tone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Count Bleck posted:

Ronin phasing into an enemy titan kills them.

edit: Wait, I misread. You are saying "Ronin will explode if phasing into an enemy Titan". Yes. It's happened to me.

To add content: What I would like to see is Ronin get a "just in time" parry - if he sword blocked at nearly the exact moment that the projectile hit, he would deflect it back at the attacker (and still take some damage).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 8, 2016

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

edit: Wait, I misread. You are saying "Ronin will explode if phasing into an enemy Titan". Yes. It's happened to me.

I've been killed popping in on a Reaper, gently caress that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Daztek posted:

Things I learned:

I've Pilot Phased into Pilots for the kill, but Ronin can't Phase into Titans for the kill? lol Why did they even make that Titan.

Also, one of the ejection messages I got was "I'll see you on the other side." :smith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If ronin could phase into Titans for an instakill he would be insanely OP but it would make LTS a lot more fun

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

So everyone is saying Tone is OP, but also saying the multiplayer is fun? After I finish the campaign should I dive right into MP or go back to BF1 and wait for a Tone nerf?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tone will only annoy you if you play Last Titan Standing. In my experience the other modes are perfectly fine in terms of the Titans you see people playing, and they're all fun to use depending on what playstyle you like.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Eldragon posted:

So everyone is saying Tone is OP, but also saying the multiplayer is fun? After I finish the campaign should I dive right into MP or go back to BF1 and wait for a Tone nerf?

Tone is not bad enough to ruin the game. Play the multi, it's wonderful. Tone is just a brain-dead stupidly easy Titan with no real weaknesses and a bunch of strengths. It's simply not fun to see a clearly grouped set of players run 3 - 4 Tones and crush.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Just because Tone is all-around the best Titan doesn't mean you can't be effective in any of the others. And Tone's power isn't game breaking. It's just a Titan with little downsides. Tone isn't going to be as effective at killing pilots as Ion, nor does it have the same insane damage potential as Scorch. It's just... very good, with no real weak points.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I roped Lumpy into some CTF and Skirmish with me last night and we did pretty well but every once in awhile we ran into a group that just feasted. Especially in Hardpoint where no one was playing the objective.

When do you think is the ideal time to pop a titan? Better to be early than late? I've gotten into the habit of holding it to try and crash into another or to back up teammates, but sometimes it seems like I wait too long and then we're down 3-4 Titans to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah it's more just getting tired of seeing Tones and Legions to a lesser extent because they're easy to use and effective. They don't by any stretch make the game unplayable or render the other titans moot.