Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If you can read Spanish then the city's event guide is pretty good. It's only for the actual city and not the metro area.

http://disfrutemosba.buenosaires.gob.ar

Also remember that Argentina is constantly having union strikes and protests from various different entities. Cutting traffic on major roads ("piquetes") is basically a way of life here, to the point where traffic reports include them along accidents and roadwork. Leave early just in case.

Aerolíneas Argentinas has gotten better about strikes, but the past month or so pilots have been pushing for better salaries so it's still a risk. If you can choose, LAN/LATAM is usually a safer choice.

Uber works down here. Drivers might ask you to sit up front due to a fear of cabbie retaliation (honestly more of a myth than anything else). There's other apps that work with official taxis, but most of them won't take credit card.

Remember that public transportation requires a SUBE card which you have to buy at different spots in the city but, annoyingly, you can't buy at subway stations even though you can charge them there.

Sweet, thanks man. We got things mostly figured out. Luckily the guy who rented us our AirBnB gave us a SUBE card with like $60 pesos on it and recharging at the subway station was easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Does anyone know if you can buy tickets from anywhere to anywhere at the ADO booths in the Cancun Airport? Or do I actually have to go the bus terminal in Downtown Cancun?

I kinda need to buy bus tickets as soon as I land to further out places. (Downtown Cancun to Palenque, Palenque to Tulum specifically)

Also, does anyone know the actual location of the ADO ticket booth in the Cancun airport where I can do this? Googling this has been pretty hit or miss for me, so hoping for someone that knows for sure.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The Cancun airport is tiny fyi. I bet it will be where all the other rental places are crammed in there after you get through customs.

There's a shuttle bus that will take you to the downtown bus stations
http://www.cancun-airport.net/buses.php

And buy your tickets
https://www.ado.com.mx/ado2/?utm_ex...6-a-642-boletos

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 15, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm mostly asking since I need to go straight to Isla Mujeres from Cancun Airport. However, I'd really want to get the ADO bus tickets over with since I'm pretty much heading from Isla Mujeres to Palenque straight away after a couple of days. Didn't want to risk seats being unavailable if I buy tickets on the day of as that will throw my itinerary all out of whack (crazy itinerary I know)

Original plan was:
- ADO bus from airport to downtown Cancun
- Buy the Cancun to Palenque and Palenque to Tulum ADO tickets downtown
- Cheap taxi to the pier to get to Isla Mujeres (Puerto Juarez)

Alternative plan I was considering:
- Buy all the ADO tickets I need at the Cancun Airport
- Shared shuttle from Cancun Airport to the pier to get to Isla Mujeres

Plan 2 is going to cost me like $30 CAD more for 2 people which is a pretty good trade-off in terms of saving time.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Constellation I posted:

Does anyone know if you can buy tickets from anywhere to anywhere at the ADO booths in the Cancun Airport? Or do I actually have to go the bus terminal in Downtown Cancun?

I kinda need to buy bus tickets as soon as I land to further out places. (Downtown Cancun to Palenque, Palenque to Tulum specifically)

Also, does anyone know the actual location of the ADO ticket booth in the Cancun airport where I can do this? Googling this has been pretty hit or miss for me, so hoping for someone that knows for sure.

There are buses from CUN direct to Playa del Carmen, but otherwise you need to go to the terminal downtown. If you're going to Palenque, you can transfer at Playa del Carmen, as the shuttles from the airport arrive at the main terminal. It'll be 11 hours to Palenque, and worth it. .

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Thanks for the help guys, but I think I need to re-phrase my question.

1. Does anyone know where exactly the ADO ticket booth is in the Cancun airport?
2. Do they let you buy tickets from any destination to any destination? (not just tickets from the airport to wherever)

I'm looking to buying tickets in advance and would like to get it all done at the airport.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Constellation I posted:

1. Does anyone know where exactly the ADO ticket booth is in the Cancun airport?
2. Do they let you buy tickets from any destination to any destination? (not just tickets from the airport to wherever)

I'm looking to buying tickets in advance and would like to get it all done at the airport.

ADO is just outside checked baggage carousels, near the taxi stands. They only run direct to downtown Cancun or Playa del Carmen from the airport. From either of those, you can get anywhere. To the rest of the Caribbean and Chiapas, you'll go through Playa, Tulum, and Chetumal. To Central Mexico, it's Merida, Campeche, and onward. Distances are long, but buses are really cozy, so long as you bring warm clothes. They really chill the overnight buses with AC.

They can sell you tickets anywhere in theory at an ADO office. That said, you might need to pay cash if you don't have a Mexican credit card, and everything is booked solid far in advance between Christmas and the first few days of January. Half the workers in Cancun are from Chiapas or Tabasco states, and they go home for the holiday.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Going to Belize on Friday 12/30, the wife has been there a few times before and we have a few things to do, any suggestions regarding food and/or accommodation in Tikal/San Ignacio / San Pedro? She won a 3 day thing at Bananbank (she's been there before) so we are going there first I think, then Tikal/Guatemala, then back through to the coast. Shrug. We are down for most anything and the budget can be relatively liberal to cheap. :) Thanks in advance!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Constellation I posted:

I flew into cancun a few years ago and the booth was right outside the checked baggage, I can't remember which terminal I was at. I am almost positive I bought other advance tickets there; I got my tickets to cancun itself and then some tickets onto Merida I believe for several days later.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Actually I've got a question for this thread. Am going to Argentina on honeymoon in November for three weeks and was thinking of the following route. We'd fly from place to place to save on time and because we are done with long-haul buses.

We like interesting cities (history, architecture, food, walking) and nature/wildlife/landscapes so would the following be reasonable in three weeks? Don't want to rush around too much.

Several days in BA and day trip to Montevideo
Mendoza
Bariloche
El Chalten
El Calafate
Ushuaia
Back to BA before flying home

We went to north chile last year but didn't have time to make it to Patagonia so we're really keen to see mountains and national parks and such. We also heard good things about iguazu falls and Tigre/parana delta but I thought they might eat into our time; the falls in particular seem like quite a detour.

Any input appreciated!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I did more or less the same thing in 4 weeks last year, except with Iguazu Falls added in and Cordoba instead of Bariloche (since we live in Switzerland, Bariloche looked pretty much identical to what's a half hour drive from our home). We did it with buses except for El Calafate and Ushuaia, which meant something like 4 solid days on buses during our 4 weeks.

We loved El Calafate, Buenos Aires, and Iguazu Falls. Cordoba was okay, Ushuaia was "eh" but something you have to do if you're already in El Calafate. Mendoza we were only in for like 8 hours so did not really get so much of a picture. Tigre was a cool day trip from Buenos Aires. We went to Colonia mainly to use their ATMs as this was back when Argentina's currency was hosed and we realized we needed more USD than we had brought with us. I would not recommend it unless you choose not to go to Montevideo and decide you really want to "tag" another country. Consider substituting Bariloche or Mendoza for Iguazu. Mendoza: visit Napa. Bariloche: visit Colorado or Switzerland (or Ushuaia). Iguazu: no other equivalent option except maybe Victoria falls?

A day trip to Montevideo is a ultra-long daytrip. We did a day trip to Colonia, and we left at like 7:30am and got back at like 9:30pm, and although we had a bit too much time for Colonia, I don't think the 6 hours on a ferry to-from Montevideo, not counting time spent getting to/from each port, would have been worthwhile. IMO stay overnight if you go. It's also a drat expensive ferry even if you take the slow "cheap" one.

For El Calafate, 100% rent a car unless you only are going for a day to do the Perito Moreno glacier. We did a tour to El Chalten, and it was like $100/pp for the day, and Perito Moreno was like $50/pp, although like $30pp of that is park entrance. The roads are all good except the last couple km inside the Perito Moreno national park—from the park border to the parking lot. That part is unpaved, slightly hilly, narrow, and will have giant tour buses going each way. Everywhere else in the entire area is paved, flat, and devoid of traffic.

The main reason to rent a car is not so much that it's cheaper (although it is) but so that you're by yourself and not surrounded by 80 other people in your tour group and so that you don't have to keep their schedule which IMO is very tight for Perito Moreno (they give you 3 hours in the park? IMO that's a bare minimum amount of time. We did one of the boat tours and we saw a house-sized glacier calf right in front of us, which sent up an enormous wave that rocked our boat, which made the trip completely worth it, but otherwise the boat trip would've been a bust. You have a pretty small % chance of it happening while you're there (~10 minutes). YMMV. For El Chalten, having your own car is even more worth it so that you can stop and take pictures of guanacos whenever you want, and again so you're not stuck with 15 other people when you'd rather have the wilderness to yourselves. We spent 3 days in El Calafate and it was not really enough.

The best part of Ushuaia was being able to say "well, we went to Tierra del Fuego and now we don't have to ever go back". We went before the massive penguin colonies were there (November through May?) but even so the Beagle Channel tour was pretty neat with all the seal-covered rocks. Tierra del Fuego NP was okay, again probably better if you're not in a massive tour group so that you can do the day at your pace, but up to you whether it's worth renting a car just for that. We spent 3 days in Ushuaia and it was definitely enough. We hiked up to the Martial Glacier which was okay but not especially memorable, I guess especially if you're spending time hiking in Bariloche.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 31, 2016

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
In Guatemala, getting ready to hop on a bus to Melchor. Back to Belize, to the parrot rescue for a few days (just outside Belmopan), then maybe the beach?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Lady Gaza posted:

I flew into cancun a few years ago and the booth was right outside the checked baggage, I can't remember which terminal I was at. I am almost positive I bought other advance tickets there; I got my tickets to cancun itself and then some tickets onto Merida I believe for several days later.

Thanks for this. When I arrived, the terminal I was at didn't have any ADO booths so it might have been at the other terminal. It didn't matter ending up too much since I just walked up to the ADO bus stop and got on a bus to go to the downtown ADO terminal. I just bought all my advance tickets at the downtown terminal.

I was originally going to do it so I can save some time going to Isla Mujeres. Basically, buy all advance tickets at the airport. Take pre-arranged shuttle to Isla Mujeres and onward travel from there.

Turns out it's super easy to get to Isla Mujeres from downtown anyway and I save so much more money.

All in all, Mexico was loving amazing. I managed to fit in Isla Mujeres, PALENQUE, Tulum and Isla Holbox in a 2-week trip flying in and out of Cancun. It was an awesome time and I'll definitely go back to spend more time at these places now that I know where to go.

Holbox was definitely the highlight and a perfect place to end the trip. I have a feeling that the next time I'm back there that it'll be quite different though. Quite a bit of construction going on on the outskirts of town. The virgin beach at Punta Cocos also has this big hotel/resort looking thing being built when I biked over there too.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Hitting up ATM. I hear it's fantastic.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I want to go to Ecuador for a few weeks in May or June. Besides the Galapagos Isles and the general recommendations by Lonely Planet, Nomadic Matt, wiki travel, etc. does anyone have some tips for me? I want to do a bit of everything: Andes hiking, surfing, eaten by plant in rainforest, ????. Thanks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

CLARPUS posted:

I want to go to Ecuador for a few weeks in May or June. Besides the Galapagos Isles and the general recommendations by Lonely Planet, Nomadic Matt, wiki travel, etc. does anyone have some tips for me? I want to do a bit of everything: Andes hiking, surfing, eaten by plant in rainforest, ????. Thanks!

Andes hiking: I went up the Cotopaxi volcano in Quito, it's a bit touristy but iirc most people stay at the shelter and there's some trails you can go up if the weather's good.

Surfing: I loved Montañita for this. It used to be a pretty chill place with good nightlife, though I hear it's gotten a bit rowdy over the years.

Eaten by a plant in the Rainforest: Puyo. It's right at the Amazon's edge. I didn't have time to do the jungle tours proper but I hear they're good.
Baños is on the way iirc and there's an active volcano you can visit.

Avoid Ambato and (imo) Cuenca unless you're super into traditional architecture and local festivals or whatever.

Quito's good for maybe a day and a half.

Disclaimer: I was there in 2009.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Was in Ecuador for a bit over a week in 2014. Didn't do all the things you listed (did the rainforest stuff in Peru). You'll probably need to get malaria pills or whatever before going into the rainforest. There are some areas where it isn't necessary but you need to make sure.

You can take a bus or rent a private car in Quito and head north. We spent a couple days in Ibarra and really enjoyed it. Very relaxed place, beautiful surroundings, good ice cream. Overall it's really easy and cheap to get around Ecuador if you don't mind taking the buses.

e- There's a good day-hike from Quito. If you take the TelefériQo cable car up to the top, you can hike to Pichincha Volcano. Be aware of the elevation and weather, though.

Here are some links with more info if you decide to do it:
http://gobackpacking.com/riding-quito-teleferico-climbing-pichincha-volcano/
http://www.travelfreak.net/pichinca-volcano-quito-ecuador/

khysanth fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 12, 2017

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

khysanth posted:

e- There's a good day-hike from Quito. If you take the TelefériQo cable car up to the top, you can hike to Pichincha Volcano. Be aware of the elevation and weather, though.

Here are some links with more info if you decide to do it:
http://gobackpacking.com/riding-quito-teleferico-climbing-pichincha-volcano/
http://www.travelfreak.net/pichinca-volcano-quito-ecuador/

I did that when I was in Quito. Definitely recommend it. If you're planning on going to Cotopaxi or some other mountain in the area then it would be good to help you acclimatise to the elevation as you get to about 4800m by the top.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lady Gaza posted:

Actually I've got a question for this thread. Am going to Argentina on honeymoon in November for three weeks and was thinking of the following route. We'd fly from place to place to save on time and because we are done with long-haul buses.

We like interesting cities (history, architecture, food, walking) and nature/wildlife/landscapes so would the following be reasonable in three weeks? Don't want to rush around too much.

Several days in BA and day trip to Montevideo
Mendoza
Bariloche
El Chalten
El Calafate
Ushuaia
Back to BA before flying home

We went to north chile last year but didn't have time to make it to Patagonia so we're really keen to see mountains and national parks and such. We also heard good things about iguazu falls and Tigre/parana delta but I thought they might eat into our time; the falls in particular seem like quite a detour.

Any input appreciated!

I'd skip Iguazu and go to Colonia Carlos Peligrini if you can. Its a bit of a hassle to get there but its an incredibly special place.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Conversely, I'd never skip iguazu

I'd recommend flying in and out though, if you can afford it

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Conversely, I'd never skip iguazu

I'd recommend flying in and out though, if you can afford it

I have the same recommendation as Hadlock. Iguazu was one of the highlights of a month in Argentina for me alongside El Calafate's countryside. The argentine side is stunning--it's not just like you walk up, look at a waterfall for 10 minutes, then go (like how Niagra Falls is, unless you do a boat trip, which Igauzu also offers). Instead you spend like 7 hours walking on jungle paths including over a massive river and there's a ton of wildlife. Unless you hate nature or having to walk more than 50 meters at a time it's a great place. I'm kind of surprised I didn't say much about it in my earlier post.

E: Fixed formatting. I did not go to the Brazilian side because I didn't want to pay $160 or smuggle myself across in a taxi, but my girlfriend went and said it was a surprisingly different experience, and very much less natural and if she had to pick one it'd be the Argentine side, but that if you're there and it's not a big inconvenience to do Brazil, do both. (The Brazilians, true to their stereotype of being the lazy and obese USA of South America, don't let you walk around; you have to sit on a bus, wait for it to load up, and then have it drive you 300 meters to drop you off.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 18, 2017

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'd skip Iguazu and go to Colonia Carlos Peligrini if you can. Its a bit of a hassle to get there but its an incredibly special place.

I'll be the 3rd person to disagree strongly with this. I'd been to Niagra and wondered what the big fuss was with waterfalls and got to Iguazu and was amazed. We only went to the Brazilian side, because money and the walkway to Garganta del Diablo on the Argentinian side had been washed away in floods, but easily one of my favourite places from my 3 years travelling around North & South America.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks all, that's given me a lot to think about. Even though we have three weeks there (normally only get two weeks at a time for holidays) there's so much to see and I'm likely going to have to cut some places off the itinerary, maybe Mendoza so that we have time to see Iguazu. Budget isn't too much of an issue, since it's our honeymoon we're going to travel in comfort and fly wherever possible. That said, air fares in Argentina do look quite steep!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There's a whole bunch of low cost airlines getting into the market right now in Argentina.

They aren't operational yet but afaict they're all pushing for end of this year.

Definitely don't miss out on a good offer if you find one but if you aren't in a rush, it might be worth waiting a bit and seeing if these new airlines start offering something in the next few months.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Iguazu Falls is mind-blowing, especially the Argentine side. Puerto Iguazu is a really pleasant village too. I took a bus 18 hours from Sao Paulo to get there, and it was worth at least twice that. There are dozens of separate cataracts, accessible by catwalks that get you close enough to hold your hand under running water. You'll have coatis follow you around the park too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I didn't see any coatis but did run in to a pair of tiny tiny new world monkeys, and holy poo poo, more butterflies than I've ever seen in the rest of my life combined, times at least six.

And yeah it's more than just the main falls, it's like an entire Disney park of amazing tropical waterfalls. Highly recommend.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
There are about fifty coatis at every picnic spot in the park (Argentine side only). I didn't see any monkeys though! But yeah, butterflies and large lizards and colorful birds everywhere.

I saw more jungle wildlife in 6 hours in the park than I saw in 2 weeks in Costa Rica.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

CLARPUS posted:

For Amazon stuff, I highly reommend Cuyabeno Lodge. I had an incredible 5 days there. We saw all kinds of awesome stuff. Some highlights: 20+ foot python, 12ft black cayman, all of the monkey species in the area (including the smallest monkey in the world, the pygmy marmoset), poison dart frogs, electric eels, etc. Plus it's much cheaper than Peruvian equivalents. You should ask them what the weather/water levels will be like at that time of year, though. My parents went in September and it was much drier than when I went. Here are some pics:

Baños is touristy but I really liked it. Highlight was canyoneering in the Rio Verde with a couple of awesome guides... the trip ended at a trout farm/restaurant where we had the best grilled fish I've had in my life.

Galapagos is obviously incredible. If you scuba dive you should absolutely pay the astronomical cost to do a liveaboard that goes to Darwin and Wolf. Otherwise you should at the very least try to snorkel at Punta Vicente Roca (I saw some snorkel tours there). It was my favorite dive site aside from Darwin/Wolf, and it's pretty shallow. It's a mola mola cleaning station, and you should also see penguins and cormorants hunting underwater which is incredible.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 26, 2017

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks all for the earlier advice on Argentina. Have decided to skip Mendoza and Bariloche as we'll be doing lots of hiking in El Chalten and Ushuaia. Also decided to keep Iguaza on the itinerary. Does this look doable? We'll be flying between places.

BA - 4 nights
Iguazu - 2 nights
Puerto Madryn - 3 nights
El Chalten - 3 nights
El Calafate - 3 nights (might drop one of these and spend longer in El Chalten)
Ushuaia - 3 nights
BA - 1 night before flying home

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
BA - the cultural landmarks you can do in a day or two, after that it's all down to how much you like museums/nightlife/dining/etc. Daytrips like Tigre and the Delta are nice, but it's definitely something I would do only if I had spare time. Don't plan on doing any real shopping, prices down here are insane, even for Americans/Europeans. Dining is probably the exception, you can definitely get a 5-star restaurant experience for less than half the price than in the US. Also wine is insanely cheap because we have the best wine, just the greatest, most tremendous wine, everybody says so (seriously we have really good wine).

Puerto Madryn - the city itself is poo poo (well, it was about 15 years ago when I went last, and people tell me it hasn't changed much). There's three interesting things to see in the area: Penguins/Sealions and Whales. AFAIK there's no whales in November so that leaves Penguins/Sealions. Unless you're super into them, you can definitely book a tour to see both in one day. I remember there being some nice hiking, but definitely not better than El Chalten/El Calafate.

The area has constant wind too, so unless you're actually doing something it's not like you can just relax at the beach or whatever.

Your other destinations I'd rather not say because I haven't been there in ages.

Honestly your main problem is that you're going to be travelling a lot, and even if you're doing nothing but planes, you're still going to be losing a lot of time in the airport + flying + travelling to your hotel. Argentina is also somewhat unpredictable when it comes to plane schedules, roads being closed, etc.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Honestly your main problem is that you're going to be travelling a lot, and even if you're doing nothing but planes, you're still going to be losing a lot of time in the airport + flying + travelling to your hotel. Argentina is also somewhat unpredictable when it comes to plane schedules, roads being closed, etc.

This. I always cringe when I see these super-ambitious itineraries. I haven't been to Patagonia, but have enough experience in Argentina to know that the wheels tend to fall off of tightly-packed travel schedules pretty quickly.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Eh, I spent a month traveling around Argentina with a similar itinerary (7 days BA, 3 days Iguazu, 3 El Calafate, 3 Ushuaia, 5 Cordoba, 1 Mendoza, then to Santiago) and the only time anything was late was our bus from BA to Iguazu, which got in like an hour late after 21 hours of driving. So, it's not like guaranteed that everything will run late for you. Also gently caress I'd never take two 20+ hour bus rides within 3 days again, especially since our super deluxe sleeper cab was like 75% the cost of just flying. That said, there do not appear to be any direct flights from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate — they all transfer through BA or Ushuaia, neither of which is remotely on the way, so you might want to swap that order of your itinerary (i.e. Iguazu -> Puerto Madryn -> Ushuaia -> BA).

That said, if you're in Puerto Madryn for anything besides the whales, you can also see them in huge numbers in Ushuaia which would clear up your itinerary. There are a ton of penguins and sea lions and etc in the Beagle Channel. The sea lions are there all year, but I'm pretty sure the penguins arrive sometime around October/November and start nesting around then... so double-check your timing if your heart is set on penguins. I didn't hear anything about whale watching near Ushuaia, so probably Puerto Madryn is way better for that.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Going to Cancun in early March for spring break, never been to Mexico before and was wondering what I should expect, what I should and shouldn't bring etc...

I don't know whether I should bring cash or just a travel credit card, since the hotel will be all-inclusive and I don't really have plans to leave it (except for going clubbing at night, which will probably be open-bar with an entry fee)

If anybody's been to cancun for spring break or just vacation please let me know how it was and any tips you could give me, haven't travelled in a long time so I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Hawg11 posted:

Going to Cancun in early March for spring break, never been to Mexico before and was wondering what I should expect, what I should and shouldn't bring etc...

I don't know whether I should bring cash or just a travel credit card, since the hotel will be all-inclusive and I don't really have plans to leave it (except for going clubbing at night, which will probably be open-bar with an entry fee)

If anybody's been to cancun for spring break or just vacation please let me know how it was and any tips you could give me, haven't travelled in a long time so I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

They have ATMs in Mexico that dispense Real Authentic Mexican Pesos. There are even ATMs at the airport in Cancún. Bring a recent, fresh $100 bill in case of emergency.

You don't need any more advice for the Cancún Zona Hotelera than you would in Daytona Beach. You won't see anything there you wouldn't see in Florida. Same restaurants, same traffic, same people. Drink, vomit, please don't date-rape anyone.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
^ that.

You'll want some cash, keep some smallish amount on you, plastic is more common but cash goes everywhere. Fresh fresh bills from the bank, not kidding about this, uncirculated bills are best.

Obligatory don't drink the water, avoid prepared fruit, and veggies. Bring Imodium.

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2017

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Seriously though, consider taking a trip to Playa del Carmen. It's just an hour south and still very touristy, but has a way more tasteful and mixed crowd that Cancún Zona Hotelera over spring break. The only Mexicans you'll see in that part of Cancún will be the hotel and bar staff and trinket vendors. Beaches are officially public property in Mexico, but the Cancún hotels work very hard to skirt the law and make access well-nigh impossible for Mexicans who aren't wealthy (white). If you're looking for a frat-/sorority-house vomitorium, sexual assaults, and bad decisions that land dozens of brahs in a Mexican jail every spring, on the other hand, you'll be in paradise.

A question like this doesn't even really belong in a thread about Latin America, because it's about a low-rent slice of Floribama grafted onto a gorgeous sand spit off Quintana Roo. I know spring-break Cancún is among the slowest of slow-moving targets, but Mexico probably my favorite place in the world, and I loving hate Cancún Zona Hotelera.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 3, 2017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Unless your all-inclusive is a budget place on like $20/night and still uses lead pipes, you'll be able to drink the tap water at your resort. That part of Mexico is pretty rich, it's not like it's rural Bolivia. Ask if you're worried, but they'll probably tell you it's fine.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I drank the tap water living in Mexico City without problem. You definitely can at Cancun beach hotels.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Ymmv on the water, I know a guy who gets sick most places outside 250 miles from his house. (US)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Hey thread, not expecting great news on this but what are my options for getting something shipped to me in Argentina? I'm going to be there for a couple of months and was going to go diving and bring my dry suit. It's not going to be back from repairs before I leave though. Everything I've read seems to suggest getting it shipped out here will involve a month of being kept in customs and then being charged a randomly generated amount of money in customs.

That was for gifts or things local people were buying from abroad though, as a tourist receiving something I own is this likely to be the case? Anyone have experience shipping things they already own to Argentina? Thanks thread!