Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Our fine musical contributions like Drake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He used to call me on my cell phone...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Haha, christ that's self-righteous.

But, for the record: Bryan Cranston can come, Lena Dunham can gently caress right off because she's an idiot, a creep and very probably a racist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dreylad posted:

She was! She was a 9/11 truther, straight up. And the worst part is for a brief moment I thought of voting for them.

I voted for the guy who said he'd lift age limits for student metro cards. If a corrupt rear end in a top hat was gonna get in power, I'd at least vote for the one who bought my vote.

I don't even remember his name anymore.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Furnaceface posted:

Is it really a plus if no one uses it because its in a spot that doesnt and will never need it?

This thread's opinion depends on whether it's a stupid idea of Rob Ford's (bad) or a stupid idea of David Miller's (good). It's a bad idea to build a subway to Scarborough Centre because it's too expensive, but it's a good idea to construct an LRT along the RT's current alignment, where half the stations get essentially no use despite having been there for three decades, because of reasons.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The difference between Trump and Trudeau is Trump is at least straightforward about not giving a gently caress about minorities.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Haha, christ that's self-righteous.

But, for the record: Bryan Cranston can come, Lena Dunham can gently caress right off because she's an idiot, a creep and very probably a racist.

She confessed to racing her own sister, in fact. That might make her ineligible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tagesschau posted:

This thread's opinion depends on whether it's a stupid idea of Rob Ford's (bad) or a stupid idea of David Miller's (good). It's a bad idea to build a subway to Scarborough Centre because it's too expensive, but it's a good idea to construct an LRT along the RT's current alignment, where half the stations get essentially no use despite having been there for three decades, because of reasons.

It's not like the LRT was dreamed up just for shits and giggles. The RT is falling apart and needs a replacement.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Yet more one percenters who won't want to pay taxes? Build a wall.

An American gravel barge just had its load shift and capsized as a result. No injuries so NBD under normal conditions, but we're feeling a bit sensitive about poo poo sinking in our waters these days. Smiling Justin was out today to announce 1.5 billion worth of funding increase for CCG and others to improve marine safety. Haven't seen any analysis yet on how much of this is just re-announcing existing pots of money or other shell games. Even if it is just exisiting money maybe the Libs will be more competent at working on actual function, rather than being form-heavy like the CPC were. It's interesting that we're now calling this "world leading". I guess "world class" didn't work out so well.

Some of this money will be going to the East Coast, so the Libs at least recognize that Newfie Lives Matter, again something the CPC wasn't willing to admit.

According to this bit of bumpf the Seaspan shipyard in North Van is getting its shitshow together and should be busy building its part of the ship procurement program. I guess this means they've solved their lack of room for expansion problem? Hopefully the hull plates won't come out pre-buckled like some of the Chinese shipyards are producing. Ugly.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The current SRT also does not reach far enough into Scarborough to actually reach the places where there is high density: that's what Transit City was for. plus appeasing dumb scarberians who go "why doesn't Scarborough get a subway?" which is kinda how we got into this mess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

A) The Scarborough subway wasn't Rob Ford's plan, so framing it like that isn't helping whatever point you're trying to make.

B) The pre-LRT plan was just a Skytrain style refurbishment. The point of using the existing ROW for LRT was to cut down on additional costs. It's also worth noting that the original LRT plan would have been fully funded by the province, including ongoing operational costs.

If the argument is Scarborough doesn't need anything and we'll just run buses over the rubble when the SRT collapses, that's fine. But on the assumption that something had to be built to replace it, and we'd like to spend as little money as possible to have at least equal service, then the LRT wins over any other proposal so far.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

I voted for the guy who said he'd lift age limits for student metro cards. If a corrupt rear end in a top hat was gonna get in power, I'd at least vote for the one who bought my vote.

I don't even remember his name anymore.

:same:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tippecanoe posted:

dumb scarberians

It's Scarborons, please.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flakeloaf posted:

She confessed to racing her own sister, in fact.

Vroom!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sitchensis posted:

If you think the mayors and councils of big cities are bad, you don't even wanna know what goes on in the small municipalities. Of course, no one pays attention to small town politics either in aggregate or in these towns themselves, which is exactly the problem. It's literally criminal what happens in some of these places.

Chestermere's little power-company and seizing-land escapades are possibly going to end in criminal charges, if that helps.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Iveson is a mess all around. His project portfolio is an unbroken line of failure at all levels. It shocks me that he has any political capital left.
Can you elaborate on that? Iveson's always struck me as kind of a vaguely anodyne progressive, but I'm not sure what issues you can hang on his neck. The two big infrastructure disasters (both bridges) in his term seem to be more of a city management issue than one with the mayor or council.

Granted, he hasn't accomplished MUCH, but the city's not a smoking ruin yet.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

The difference between Trump and Trudeau is Trump is at least straightforward about not giving a gently caress about minorities.

:jerkbag:

I know it's cool and hip to hate on Trudeau in here (and it's not without merit) but come the gently caress on.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, that's why Trump was campaigning on forcing a carbon tax on all 50 states.

I'm going to rail endlessly against milquetoast electoral 'reform' and I'm mad as hell about Saudi arm sales but every time I tune in to the echo chamber around here I always come out feeling a little better about voting for stupid sexy Trudeau.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Our Man Gregor definitely doesn't smoke crack, unless it's sold from Whole Foods in a cyclist and environmentally friendly packaging.

Our intrepid leader Helps lead the charge to reduce city speed limits to 40 km/hr (and from 50 to 30, in one stretch) despite a chorus of experts explaining that it would have little to no impact on collision rates. We did it anyway, and now, more than a year later, collision rates remain unchanged in the speed-reduced zones, but we did manage to significantly increase transit wait-times because buses were also forced to slow down. So it did accomplish something at least.

In a move of impressive humility council has since admitted that reducing the speed has limits failed to yield the desired results so they're working to scale them back. Just kidding, they're doubling down by 'uping enforcement and installing smiley-faced speed reading boards.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

M.McFly posted:

Our intrepid leader Helps lead the charge to reduce city speed limits to 40 km/hr (and from 50 to 30, in one stretch) despite a chorus of experts explaining that it would have little to no impact on collision rates. We did it anyway, and now, more than a year later, collision rates remain unchanged in the speed-reduced zones, but we did manage to significantly increase transit wait-times because buses were also forced to slow down. So it did accomplish something at least.

In a move of impressive humility council has since admitted that reducing the speed has limits failed to yield the desired results so they're working to scale them back. Just kidding, they're doubling down by 'uping enforcement and installing smiley-faced speed reading boards.

Do you have studies on this? I would like to forward them to city councillor and known dullard Druh Farrell, who wishes to inflict the same stupidity on our city.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

PT6A posted:

Do you have studies on this? I would like to forward them to city councillor and known dullard Druh Farrell, who wishes to inflict the same stupidity on our city.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/victoria-sticking-to-slower-speed-limits-smiley-signs-eyed-1.2360528

The problem is that we dont have enough things making us "feel good':

quote:

It might take traffic-reader signs that smile, but Victoria is continuing on the path of slowing down traffic.

Acknowledging that reducing speeds involves more than just putting up signs, Victoria councillors Thursday endorsed staff recommendation to step up education and enforcement in reduced-speed zones introduced two years ago.

As well, city staff will follow up on a suggestion from Coun. Ben Isitt to research the cost of putting speed reader signs in every neighbourhood.

“I think that would help build neighbourhood buy-in for safer speeds and also show that the city is being responsive to neighbourhood concerns,” said Isitt, who originally championed lower speed limits with former city councillor Shellie Gudgeon.

Mayor Lisa Helps suggested staff look at “out of the box” options such as signs sophisticated enough to display a frown to speeders and a smiley face to people travelling under the limit. “It’s not funny, it actually changes behaviour. People want the digital sign to smile at them, right, because it feels good,” Helps said.

Isitt said the city has to roll out “a fairly robust and steady program of speed humps, traffic circles and other interventions” to make city streets safer. Where they have been installed, “it is widely celebrated by the community and adds to the ambience of those neighbourhoods.”

“I think every neighbourhood is entitled to have a very active and extensive program of traffic calming,” Isitt said.

In 2014, councillors amended the streets and traffic bylaw, reducing speed limits on several city streets to 40 km/h from 50 km/h and reducing the speed limit on Cook Street between Southgate Street and Dallas Road to 30 km/h from 50 km/h. The objective was to make streets safer and to reduce the number of collisions.

But traffic monitoring in 2015, when compared to 2014, showed the reduced-speed zones “are having only a minor impact on vehicle speeds” — only a two per cent reduction in speed — with average speeds still above posted limits. Collision rates have not dropped in the reduced-speed zones.

B.C. Transit has complained that the lower limits make it difficult for buses to stay on schedule on some routes.

Helps said one of the biggest takeaways from the exercise has been confirmation that most people drive 10 km/h over the posted limit. “Essentially, if we want people to go 50, we have to sign for 40. So if we want people to go 40 maybe we should sign for 30. I’m not suggesting that, but it’s interesting that people will go on average about 10 kilometres above the speed limit that’s posted.”

Staff say further monitoring is needed to better understand the impacts of the speed limit changes. Meanwhile, councillors have endorsed several recommendations, including:

• Install speed-reader boards along reduced-speed zones and implement a public awareness campaign.

• Continue to work with B.C. Transit to maximize transit performance in reduced-speed zones.

• Introduce speed-control elements in new street designs.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/victoria-sticking-to-slower-speed-limits-smiley-signs-eyed-1.2360528#sthash.72nnaun0.dpuf

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Interesting that their objective was to reduce the number of collisions. I suppose if you are driving slower you would have more time to react and therefore avoid hitting something you would have hit at a higher speed, but speed limits are usually about making collisions less lethal, not less likely. The odds of a person surviving getting hit by a car at 45 km/h are 0.5. The odds at 30 km/h or less are 0.9+.

Also, just posting new limits probably won't work without heavy enforcement. The road itself needs to be designed for less speed.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I doubt there's a city councillor on earth to understands how road design actually works unless they're former traffic engineers.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but those speed reduction measures are being implemented in cities all across america and europe as part of agenda 21. The goal is to reduce car usage by making it an inneficient choice of transportation.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Good.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but those speed reduction measures are being implemented in cities all across america and europe as part of agenda 21. The goal is to reduce car usage by making it an inneficient choice of transportation.

shockingly, this conspiracy theory is not in fact true, or even unlaughable

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Albino Squirrel posted:

Can you elaborate on that? Iveson's always struck me as kind of a vaguely anodyne progressive, but I'm not sure what issues you can hang on his neck. The two big infrastructure disasters (both bridges) in his term seem to be more of a city management issue than one with the mayor or council.

Is the LRT Metro line his fault? I'm honestly not sure but that thing is a figurative trainwreck

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Making personal automobiles the least efficient form of transportation would be terrible for our cities and planet! Think of what that would mean for congestion, urban sprawl, public health. There's no way we would do that!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The goal is to reduce car usage by making it an inneficient choice of transportation.

:ironicat:

What's efficiency precious?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Personally I love all of those "traffic calming" neighbourhoods.

If you throw a chicane in front of me followed by a hairpin turn that is basically an autocross course and I thank you for the free practice.

But if a sign showed me a frowny face, I might slow down a bit while watching the sign like a hawk and ignoring the crosswalk right after it. Nobody wants a frowny face.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

M.McFly posted:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/victoria-sticking-to-slower-speed-limits-smiley-signs-eyed-1.2360528

quote:

Helps said one of the biggest takeaways from the exercise has been confirmation that most people drive 10 km/h over the posted limit. “Essentially, if we want people to go 50, we have to sign for 40. So if we want people to go 40 maybe we should sign for 30. I’m not suggesting that, but it’s interesting that people will go on average about 10 kilometres above the speed limit that’s posted.”

Isn't a part of the whole thing on speeding 10kph over, being that lots of places don't give a poo poo until 15kph, so you go 10 over with a 5kph buffer? If so, that would mean that an actual solution that gets people to drive at speed limits would be relying on provincial governments, wouldn't it?

Albino Squirrel posted:

I was hoping to hear more about this too, as that was basically my understanding. Like, he isn't exactly getting a lot (or much of anything) done, but he isn't being corrupt or a joke like Stephen Mandel or Bill Smith were, at least...?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lobok posted:

Making personal automobiles the least efficient form of transportation would be terrible for our cities and planet! Think of what that would mean for congestion, urban sprawl, public health. There's no way we would do that!

Having spent the last two weeks in multiple European countries where public transportation and urban planning (and cell phone plans) was cheaper and easier, all I'm going to reply with is:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Albino Squirrel posted:

Big ones I can think of that I can hang on Iveson's government at least are the Katz stadium (mostly Mandel, but there were multiple opportunities for him to stop it) and the mismanagement of the Metro LRT line.

I think the river valley funicular is going to be built but not used. His push for a widely expanded photo radar program has actually raised the number of fatal automobile accidents in Edmonton.

It can't all be his fault: city management seems pretty poor and that's coming from someone in Calgary. I think he has an unaccountable bureaucracy that he has to take the heat for in public, and that bureaucracy signs atrocious contracts with a cozy nest of trusted suppliers.

I had forgotten just how bad Mandel was until I thought about it. He made Bronconnier look like Jane Jacobs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 8, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mojo1701a posted:

Having spent the last two weeks in multiple European countries where public transportation and urban planning (and cell phone plans) was cheaper and easier, all I'm going to reply with is:

One of the greatest experiences I ever had as a pedestrian was in Rome. First day I was there and on a major four or six-lane bustling road, you're just supposed to start walking across and traffic stops for you. No lights, Walking Man pedestrian signal, just an expectation that users of the road watch out for each other.

It feels like this:

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

I'm honestly fine with this as long as public transit is improved accordingly. Not holding my breath.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

M.McFly posted:

I'm honestly fine with this as long as public transit is improved accordingly. Not holding my breath.

That's Agenda 22.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Isn't a part of the whole thing on speeding 10kph over, being that lots of places don't give a poo poo until 15kph, so you go 10 over with a 5kph buffer? If so, that would mean that an actual solution that gets people to drive at speed limits would be relying on provincial governments, wouldn't it?
[/quote]

Another big part of the problem is that this is completely inconsistent. It's dangerous as gently caress to speed even a little bit in a construction zone or school zone, it's fairly dangerous to go 10 km/h over in a residential zone, but it's essentially trivial to go 10 km/h over on a divided highway -- in fact, if traffic were all going the same speed, 20-30 km/h over the limit would usually be completely safe in good weather conditions (at least compared to going even 10 km/h over in a residential area) -- it's the differential between speeds that's dangerous.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PT6A posted:

Another big part of the problem is that this is completely inconsistent. It's dangerous as gently caress to speed even a little bit in a construction zone or school zone, it's fairly dangerous to go 10 km/h over in a residential zone, but it's essentially trivial to go 10 km/h over on a divided highway -- in fact, if traffic were all going the same speed, 20-30 km/h over the limit would usually be completely safe in good weather conditions (at least compared to going even 10 km/h over in a residential area) -- it's the differential between speeds that's dangerous.

Even on a divided highway the danger of high speeds is really a function of following distance. Driving 150 km/h with clear road ahead: who cares. Driving 90 km/h behind someone so close you can read what radio station they're tuned to: y'all gonna kill someone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

Even on a divided highway the danger of high speeds is really a function of following distance. Driving 150 km/h with clear road ahead: who cares. Driving 90 km/h behind someone so close you can read what radio station they're tuned to: y'all gonna kill someone.

Also true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Speed limits bad. I want drive fast! :mad: