Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Using the website is just fine for all things and it rules not having anything facebook installed.

Yeah seriously, make a FB shortcut on your home screen and never look back. Works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

People in Europe use Facebook messenger

People in America use Facebook messenger

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Any battery issues with iOS10.1.1? I see a couple of the typical battery horror stories.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Non-Apple apps can't change notification sounds.

They can, it just has to be controlled in app. Microsofts GroupMe app can change its notification sound, but the option is in the app itself. It's definitely doable, but most devs seem to just set it as the default sound or pick on sound for "branding" reasons.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Thirding or fourthing the love of Apple leather cases. I got the beige 5s case for my SE off eBay mainly because it was cheap (beige leather would not be my first choice). But it looks really good and feels fantastic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Non-Apple apps can't change notification sounds.

Unless they have their own sound settings of course...

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Three-Phase posted:

Any battery issues with iOS10.1.1? I see a couple of the typical battery horror stories.

Yeah, my 6S's battery is absolutely hosed. 10.1 introduced some badness but it recovered once I shut down my phone for a while.

10.1.1 has been awful so far. I'm going to kill my battery completely today and then charge it fully to see if that resolves the issue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy poo poo, as posted earlier, I've disabled notification sounds in the Facebook Messenger, the piece of poo poo still dings!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I told you... Rogue!

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Facebook has been known to deliberately bend or ignore App Store rules to help them get more user data or draw attention to their app, and they get away with it because Apple pulling the Facebook app from the store would cause a loving revolt among many of their iPhone users.

Facebook is in a position to ignore the rules and they know it. So they abuse whatever they can for whatever advantage they feel like they deserve. Or you can do the Occam's Razor and assume that Facebook is somehow home to the dumbest programmers on earth and has been for the last 7 years while the Facebook app has had innumerable "bugs" that looked awful advantageous to the Zuck. Like registering itself as an audio player and playing an empty sound file so it could continue monitoring location in the background indefinitely...

Don't use their apps unless you have to. They suck.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just to be clear, you've disabled both:

In Messenger: "Me" tab > Notifications > Notifications in Messenger > Sound

In Settings.app: Notifications > Messenger >Sounds

Right? The former will only disable the sound inside the app (i.e. you have it open already and a new message rolls in). The latter should disable sounds outside of the app at an OS-level.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any way to have my phone connect only to the wifi networks I want it to connect to? I'd like to leave the wifi toggled on but it keeps trying to connect to lovely open but locked down wireless as I go through my day and I have to turn wifi off in order to have connectivity.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

VelociBacon posted:

Any way to have my phone connect only to the wifi networks I want it to connect to? I'd like to leave the wifi toggled on but it keeps trying to connect to lovely open but locked down wireless as I go through my day and I have to turn wifi off in order to have connectivity.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "trying to connect to", but I have "ask to join networks" off in the wifi settings and have told my phone to forget all public networks it's been connected to previously, and my phone never tries to connect to any open networks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I have it set up the same way and don't have a problem except for attwireless access points, which I just set to not auto-connect to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I swear mine is set up the same way but every time I walk by a restaurant with wifi it connects to it then doesn't have connectivity because you have to open a browser etc to agree to whatever. I'm not sure what you call that kind of connection (open wifi but password gated access from a browser etc).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

I swear mine is set up the same way but every time I walk by a restaurant with wifi it connects to it then doesn't have connectivity because you have to open a browser etc to agree to whatever. I'm not sure what you call that kind of connection (open wifi but password gated access from a browser etc).

Wifi with capture page is what I've heard.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The technical term is "captive portal". Mine doesn't automatically connect to open WiFi, unless I've manually joined those networks before. And I think it even remembers the ones with captive portals since we have one of those on the subway here, and it doesn't auto-connect to that, I have to do it manually every time.

Not really sure what combination of settings is causing that for you.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

People in Europe use Facebook messenger

You mean WhatsApp?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

You mean WhatsApp?

Brazil isn't in Europe

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Brazil isn't in Europe

The primary IM in Europe is WhatsApp. Facebook messenger might be second but it's not even close.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think my biggest iOS desire at the moment would be a way to temporary disable all notifications of any kind. It's always a risk if you need to show a family member or work colleague something on your iPad only to have a notification appear of someone texting you really family-inappropriate stuff.

Settings > Notifications > Messages > Turn off "show preview"

Means notifications come in as "Thrifting Day! iMessage"

Can't help if you have contacts like "the girl I gently caress"

WhatsApp & Facebook Messenger have similar features in settings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone is curious if you get a phone through the Apple upgrade program say via Sprint then try and take the phone to Verizon to use the phone will work but (and this is a huge pain in my rear end) the phone will not be recognized by Verizon as one of their phones so some of the "advanced" features won't work. It's not a huge deal if you aren't traveling or anything but it is a pain in the rear end if you want to go internationally.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there third party any apps that take advantage of the two cameras in the 7 plus or is it still too early for that? Seems like there's probably more neat stuff they can figure out how to do with it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whoops, I didn't realize the 7 plus was still hard to come by. I went to both Verizon and Best Buy today to upgrade, and both said they're sold out everywhere, and were trying to get me to "preorder" one. What's it been, a month and a half? Oh well, I might as well wait to see if there're any Black Friday deals at this point.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

enojy posted:

Whoops, I didn't realize the 7 plus was still hard to come by. I went to both Verizon and Best Buy today to upgrade, and both said they're sold out everywhere, and were trying to get me to "preorder" one. What's it been, a month and a half? Oh well, I might as well wait to see if there're any Black Friday deals at this point.

Those people literally know nothing. Go to an Apple Store or reserve one in the morning.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LODGE NORTH posted:

Those people literally know nothing. Go to an Apple Store or reserve one in the morning.

Oh, am I able to (early) upgrade on Verizon at an Apple Store? If that's the case, I'll just do that tomorrow. I thought Apple Store purchases were only if you were applying for their upgrade program.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

enojy posted:

Oh, am I able to (early) upgrade on Verizon at an Apple Store? If that's the case, I'll just do that tomorrow. I thought Apple Store purchases were only if you were applying for their upgrade program.

They are officially. But it's only if you deal with some stickler or a bad Apple Store. I reserved at my local one and they've always been cool and they let me use AT&T Next with no issue.

I'm not sure how early upgrading works with Verizon, but they have the same privileges the stores do.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My 7+'s screen is scratched to poo poo and I've only had it for a few weeks. I had my 6 for 2 years and never experienced this. I keep it alone in my pocket and haven't done anything crazy to it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bronin posted:

The primary IM in Europe is WhatsApp. Facebook messenger might be second but it's not even close.
I prefer Facebook Messenger over WhatsApp because it allows me to continue conversations at my workstation without the bullshit of funneling everything over the phone app like WhatsApp Web requires.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LmaoTheKid posted:

My 7+'s screen is scratched to poo poo and I've only had it for a few weeks. I had my 6 for 2 years and never experienced this. I keep it alone in my pocket and haven't done anything crazy to it.

That's why you add a screen protector. The day after I put mine on I noticed some tiny scratches that I was able to prevent on my actual screen. Although the screen is very tough and can resist a lot, even a small grain of sand in your pocket can gently caress up your screen.

And to be honest, it looks fine with a tempered glass screen protector. Way better than a scratched screen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Crap now you guys got me worried.

What's a good tempered glass protector for a 7+?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

skooma512 posted:

Crap now you guys got me worried.

What's a good tempered glass protector for a 7+?

Just get one that bring 2 or more in the pack, that way if you mess up with one you have another one ready. They're only like $8 on amazon.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

That's why you add a screen protector. The day after I put mine on I noticed some tiny scratches that I was able to prevent on my actual screen. Although the screen is very tough and can resist a lot, even a small grain of sand in your pocket can gently caress up your screen.

And to be honest, it looks fine with a tempered glass screen protector. Way better than a scratched screen.

There's no sand and gently caress a screen protector. Tim used cheap glass :smith:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LmaoTheKid posted:

There's no sand and gently caress a screen protector. Tim used cheap glass :smith:

You can't be sure of that. Something must have been in your pocket for your screen to have scratches. Something harder than gorilla glass.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

LmaoTheKid posted:

I've got a couple on my 7+'s screen as well, and had the 6s+ naked for a year without any problems. Took the 6 to the beach, thrown it in bags, etc. Not complaining or anything just putting it out there to all of those who also roll naked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My screen is fine. Don't carry it in your pocket full of diamonds, I guess!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

My screen is fine. Don't carry it in your pocket full of diamonds, I guess!

Well where else am I supposed to carry my diamonds??

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Your other pocket.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Your other pocket.

My other pocket is for my iPod so I can keep using my wired headphones without the loathsome dongle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Weedle posted:

My other pocket is for my iPod so I can keep using my wired headphones without the loathsome dongle.

Put screen protectors on your diamonds, solve the problem backwards