Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Anyone know of a good set of allen wrenches? I feel like the ones I bought from the hardware store strip more often than they turn.

I got a pair of the Standard/Metric Craftsman folding key sets. https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-2pc-dual-material-inch-metric-folding-hex-key-set?taxon_id=1814

They work just fine for normal stuff.

If you want something more higher end Bondhus is fantastic. I got the gold guard ball end in metric and love them. I was gifted this set and figuried they would be a lot more expensive but it looks like the 2 pack is only $25 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-20899-Balldriver-GoldGuard-L-Wrench/dp/B000EB850M

Edit: I figuried they were beryllium copper non sparking tools based on the finish color and cost like $200. They're just gold plated.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Let's see you guys saw through a 4x4 in under 8 seconds.

https://i.imgur.com/tbQ076U.gifv

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TheDon01 posted:

I got a pair of the Standard/Metric Craftsman folding key sets. https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-2pc-dual-material-inch-metric-folding-hex-key-set?taxon_id=1814

They work just fine for normal stuff.

If you want something more higher end Bondhus is fantastic. I got the gold guard ball end in metric and love them. I was gifted this set and figuried they would be a lot more expensive but it looks like the 2 pack is only $25 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-20899-Balldriver-GoldGuard-L-Wrench/dp/B000EB850M

Edit: I figuried they were beryllium copper non sparking tools based on the finish color and cost like $200. They're just gold plated.

GoldGuard is very nice. Just beware the ball ends don't handle high torque well. I run with a set of stubby ball ends with the black oxide finish, and a set of single ball-end Gold Guard in normal length. Lemme tell you, the recently-released double-ball stubby ones are a lifesaver in certain spaces. The 100° angle +ball+stubby length is amazing. I've got to get a pair, once they hit Zoro.
http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus_products/tool_categories/l-wrenches/stubby_double.html

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

kid sinister posted:

No prob

That's seriously impressive.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kid sinister posted:

https://i.imgur.com/tbQ076U.gifv

drat, that's Sikh.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, that's Sikh.

Look closer. He lost.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

That was my first thought.

kid sinister posted:

Look closer. He lost.

Too much leg.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I know we're a few weeks early, but any online store recommendations for Black Friday deals?

Does Amazon do anything worth keeping an eye on?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

kid sinister posted:

Look closer. He lost.

He did not, the other guy took too long to press buttan.

7.95 vs 7.91

coathat
May 21, 2007

Cheesus posted:

I know we're a few weeks early, but any online store recommendations for Black Friday deals?

Does Amazon do anything worth keeping an eye on?

Acme tools is doing a 15% off sale today. http://www.acmetools.com/?cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-No+Name-_-HeaderStoreLogo_Content-_-HeaderStoreLogo+AcmeTools

You can get some pretty great deals on it.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
Home Depot just started up their Christmas sales. Thinking of getting the makita 18v drill and impact driver combo. 299 with 2 batteries, charger, ans hard case. Get my choice of one free tool with the purchase. So I was thinking of grabbing the recipro with it

E: I also recently became aware of the new cobalt 24v set. Any thoughts?

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Home Depot just started up their Christmas sales. Thinking of getting the makita 18v drill and impact driver combo. 299 with 2 batteries, charger, ans hard case. Get my choice of one free tool with the purchase. So I was thinking of grabbing the recipro with it

Just got the Makita set last month and it owns bones, though I got it off of Amazon for $260ish. Check around to see if there's a similar deal at other vendors since that free tool is a pretty sweet deal.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

15% off all power tools*!

*excludes literally every brand you'd actually want to buy

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tony Doughnuts posted:

I have the circular saw and use it all the time over my corded. I'm looking at the oscillating multitool next. Reciprocating saw is probably good too, just depends on what kind of work you plan to being doing. You can will always buy more bare tools later. That sounds like a good deal for the 3 tools and 2 batteries.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

From what I've heard and seen the oscillating multitools are pretty junk across all brands. I don't personally have any interest in getting one.
I do find it interesting that makita offers both a normal recipro and a compact version. I'd have to get my hands on one to see if I'd consider the compact.

E: I use my recipro of have now (ryobi) often enough where I'd get one on principle. Ryobi is a good brand don't get me wrong. But for anything beyond home gamer stuff it just doesn't belly up.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

If you like German hand tools, KC Tool has 10% off for the rest of the year with NEWKCT.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have an oscillating multitool, and I've used it exactly twice. Once where I was trying to cut a panel in some wood where a circular saw would have overcut and there wasn't enough depth to use a hand saw. The second was actually a misuse; I needed to notch a thin aluminum fan shroud to get to an oil pump bolt, and I didn't want to take everything apart.

I think it's the one and only time I can honestly say I'll stick with the Harbor Freight one until it breaks. It's just not something I'll use more than twice a year.

A reciprocating saw, however! That's a "nearly every weekend" tool. I've got an old, coded Milwaukee, and it's second only to the angle grinder in usefulness.

Cordless tool usefulness to me:

Angle grinder
Reciprocating saw
Drill/impact (I prefer corded, but sill useful)
Jigsaw

Flashlight

Multitool

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tony Doughnuts posted:

From what I've heard and seen the oscillating multitools are pretty junk across all brands. I don't personally have any interest in getting one.
I do find it interesting that makita offers both a normal recipro and a compact version. I'd have to get my hands on one to see if I'd consider the compact.

E: I use my recipro of have now (ryobi) often enough where I'd get one on principle. Ryobi is a good brand don't get me wrong. But for anything beyond home gamer stuff it just doesn't belly up.

Oscillating multitools are extremely niche in their use, but they are the absolute best tool for those uses. Nothing can make a plunge cut like one.

Need to cut the bottom off a doorjamb to be able to fit a new floor tile under it? Oscillating multitool. Need to widen a hole for a new baseboard register but don't feel like taking the baseboard off the wall? Oscillating multitool. Need to cut a hole for an old work box? Oscillating multitool.

I'll agree though, other saws make other cuts MUCH better. Buy something like a reciprocating saw, then ask for an oscillating multitool for Christmas and cross your fingers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Need to cut a hole for an old work box? Oscillating multitool.

Don't use power tools on drywall, it just makes a huge frickin' mess. Grab a $5 jab saw.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

I have a Klein drywall saw I haven't used in a couple years, still in good shape. I used it to saw a dowel rod a couple times.

Honestly though I have to agree on the harbor freight sentiment for a multitool. I've never needed one in any situation or though it would make my life better.

Every cordless angle grinder I've used craps out the batteries before I can finish my cuts. It may be me putting the 200lb gorrila behind it but I've always gone with corded. The dewalt 60v seems interesting but too expensive to just go out and try it. I may pick the mails cordless if I'm happy with the drill/driver and recipro. Does makita make a decent cordless impact?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
The Makita set above is great to get you started.

As for the multitool, I have the Makita version and have used it plenty to cut all kinds of stuff and it saved my rear end recently when I laid a floor and needed to cut the bottom off some door casing to fit flush with the new higher floor. And it will absolutely cut drywall nice and straight, just use the correct blade... Guess it depends on what you need to do, but I'd say it is handy for house work. Not an essential tool, just nice to have.

The absolutely most used power tool I have is the impact driver. Then it is probably drill, corded miter saw, corded circ saw, jigsaw, multitool, angle grinder, recip saw. Eh, ymmv :)

edit: "home gamer", "200 pound gorilla" - plenty of AvE watchers in the thread, to no one's surprise really.

Rnr fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 8, 2016

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Rnr posted:

As for the multitool, I have the Makita version and have used it plenty to cut all kinds of stuff

Me too. I use it far more often than the recip and like it because you can hold it steady and it won't chatter all over and around the line you're cutting. Beside the other uses mentioned it also functions like a power chisel, just a huge time saver when you don't need absolute precision but don't want to hack something to bits either. I can see where it might not be needed so much in a newer house, but for working on older places it's great.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Thanks for the router-chat. Now talk to me about drill presses.

I plan on doing woodworking and maybe light metal work. I've got a compact space, but room for a floor-standing tool if needed. However, I've seen some convincing arguments that for most tasks a bench-top press will do just fine, and I'd prefer the flexibility and compactness if possible.

Based on some reading I am eyeing the Shop Fox line. The oscillating spidle sanding mode seems like a really nice bonus for a small shop.
The W1667 1/2 HP Press is $190 which seems comfortable price-wise based on how much I am wanting one, but I'm not entirely clear how much a 1/2" Chuck and/or 1/2 HP is going to let me do. I probably see myself doing something like driving a 1" forstner bit into some hard maple, or drilling holes in generic angle iron supports. Standard DIY stuff.

The W1668 3/4 HP Press seems like a good step up in power and range, but it's also $400, which is not more than I'd necessarily be willing to spend but is a price-point where I'd want something that is basically going to do whatever I expect it to do. I've seen enough complaints about quality/shipping damage that I'm wary to spend that much on a brand I don't know much about sight unseen.

I'm fine with another brand in that price region, provided people have specific advice. I'm also fine with the advice that I need to be willing to spend more (I think the Jet press is in that class something like $600?) to get decent quality, but I'd like to avoid overkill if I can.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

wormil posted:

Toolnut. My tracking was updated to out for delivery.

edit...

You fucker. I get this garbage instead:

quote:

Fellow Tool Nut,

We have received additional information from Festool regarding delivery of your $99 PRO 5 Sander. Due to overwhelming demand, Festool did not have enough sanders on November 1st resulting in a backorder that affected your order.

Festool is in the process of manufacturing additional PRO 5 Sanders. So, you will definitely receive your $99 PRO 5 Sander with $50 voucher, as promised. Based on the schedule provided by Festool, we anticipate that your sander will ship on or around Thursday, March 9th. Note that this is an estimated ship date and is subject to change.

Please accept our apologies on behalf of Festool for the delay in delivery. We’re confident that the great value and savings will be worth the wait.

We’ve had some questions about how you use the $50 voucher. There’s no need to wait until you receive your PRO 5 Sander! Simply order any Festool power tool now so you can put it to use immediately. When you receive your PRO 5 Sander, visit http://www.festoolpro5.com to redeem your $50 voucher using the voucher number and the serial number from your sander. Your $50 voucher can optionally be used in combination with Festool’s package savings, which offers a 10% discount on a Dust Extractor or MFT Table when purchased with any Festool power tool. To take advantage of package savings, simply add any Festool power tool and CT Dust Extractor or MFT table to your shopping cart and the 10% discount will be applied to your order total.

Cancellations to your order will require an email to info@toolnut.com. Please write "PRO5 Cancellation" and your Order # in the subject line. In the body of the email, please include your requested action, your name, and method of payment. Our phone lines are very busy and call requests may experience long hold times; therefore email correspondence is the best way to ensure fast, accurate service.

Thank you,
Customer Service Team

I'm not even going to be in the county in March.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Phone posted:

I got the same email but mine comes in February.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

So that definitely settles it. Going to pick up the makita kit with recipro. And the at a later date I'll grab the impact wrench. I use it a lot at work and it's pretty much an essential to me. I can finally get rid of my lime green ryobi tools. Not bad tools by any means but I need more powah and reliability.

Probably pick up a rat tail too when I can. Might just wait for my dewalt to die , we'll see.

From what I've heard of bench presses you might as well just go with the HF one and save a few bucks
At that size They basically all come out of the same factory and you're paying for the paint job.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Phone posted:

Snooze you looze. The second I heard about it I jumped on it, I expected them to sell out fast and that there would be delays. I was shocked mine arrived.

I handed mine to my wife and said, look what you bought me for Christmas. She hid it and will wrap it up to put under the tree.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Don't use power tools on drywall, it just makes a huge frickin' mess. Grab a $5 jab saw.

Yeah I'm gonna say you're wrong on that one. You've obviously never had to cut a hole in brittle drywall where the keyhole saw busts entire sections off the back.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

Yeah I'm gonna say you're wrong on that one. You've obviously never had to cut a hole in brittle drywall where the keyhole saw busts entire sections off the back.

Or cut door trim for wood flooring. I use my OMT all the drat time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sharkytm posted:

Or cut door trim for wood flooring. I use my OMT all the drat time.

kid sinister posted:

Oscillating multitools are extremely niche in their use, but they are the absolute best tool for those uses. Nothing can make a plunge cut like one.

Need to cut the bottom off a doorjamb to be able to fit a new floor tile under it? Oscillating multitool. Need to widen a hole for a new baseboard register but don't feel like taking the baseboard off the wall? Oscillating multitool. Need to cut a hole for an old work box? Oscillating multitool.

I'll agree though, other saws make other cuts MUCH better. Buy something like a reciprocating saw, then ask for an oscillating multitool for Christmas and cross your fingers.

Yes and yes. It is also the tool most frequently borrowed from me.

It truly is the king of plunge cuts. I considered that tool "paid for itself" the first time I used it to cut a doorjamb for new flooring.
I've also used it a bunch of times to zip off the end of a screw or bolt, like when I installed toilets.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Amazon has a Dewalt 20V Brushless Compact Drill and Impact combo kit for $189. I haven't been following these deals very closely, but for brushless it seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK28...JXCY3JMGK62D2DT

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hubis posted:

Thanks for the router-chat. Now talk to me about drill presses.

I don't have a ton of experience with them but I think you're on the right track with the 1/2 HP. I have a generic cheap 1/3 HP and I can do just about everything but I wish it had just a little more power as it can stall occasionally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love my OMT for scraping caulk out of the bathtub. Works insanely well without any real risk of damage to the tub.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Falco posted:

Amazon has a Dewalt 20V Brushless Compact Drill and Impact combo kit for $189. I haven't been following these deals very closely, but for brushless it seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK28...JXCY3JMGK62D2DT
Is 20V a huge improvement from the 18V? I've got like 8 tools in the 18v, and I am trying to figure out if it's time to start stockpiling batteries, or time to begin the switch out to 20v as I find deals and my batteries start to die.

Just stashing some 18V batteries for posterity is the cheaper option (and besides, who doesn't like owning 10 drills since it's cheaper to buy a drill with two batteries and a charger on black friday than two batteries regularly), but if there's a huge improvement in the newer tools, it's worth the marginal cost for new tools.

Also, my OMT sits on the shelf a lot more than other tools. But when it gets used, it's undeniably the best tool for the job.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

stealie72 posted:

Is 20V a huge improvement from the 18V? I've got like 8 tools in the 18v, and I am trying to figure out if it's time to start stockpiling batteries, or time to begin the switch out to 20v as I find deals and my batteries start to die.

Just stashing some 18V batteries for posterity is the cheaper option (and besides, who doesn't like owning 10 drills since it's cheaper to buy a drill with two batteries and a charger on black friday than two batteries regularly), but if there's a huge improvement in the newer tools, it's worth the marginal cost for new tools.

Also, my OMT sits on the shelf a lot more than other tools. But when it gets used, it's undeniably the best tool for the job.

Afaik 20v is purely a marketing gimmick and actually uses the same number of cells as 18v. They are just measuring peak voltage or something instead of average? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If 20v will replace 18v is another question

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You are correct, when dealing with lithium ion cells the difference between 20V and 18V is basically the difference between fully charged and 'nominal' voltage. They're all "5SxP" packs, meaning some combination of at least five cells in series, and one or more sets in parallel. Compact packs are 5S1P, most standard packs are probably 5S2P, some of the monsters AvE has been taking apart look like they're 5S3P. Nominal is 3.7V per cell, so 5x3.7 = 18.5. Fully charged is around 4.1-4.2, so you end up with 20V.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
So, to be blunt, yes, it's complete marketing wank and pretty distasteful.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Whelp, that answers that. Battery stockpiling will continue.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
They make adapters for reverse compatibility:

http://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/batteries/18v-to-20v-adapter/dca1820

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Just an advisory on that
It Can only use the small batteries with it, and only on certain tools. If all you need it for is a drill/driver you'll be fine but anything else double check first