Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got my Pixel XL live case. I love it as a case, very minimalistic, but a little disappointed that it's lighter colour than the online preview. But oh well, maybe now I'll be able to find it in low light

Changing the NFC button on the back to flashlight or camera is super dope

Here's the rough area of where the case is showing, should be recognizable to any local:

Vancouver

How is the live wallpaper that comes with the case? I almost bought one but went with a spigen case instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I went back to my old wallpaper immediately. It's too zoomed in so it was just a street grid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

Are you sure you're not just using a different keyboard?

I looked at my phone after reading that post. There are significantly less emoji available choosing them through the Google Messenger emoji section than there are in the SwiftKey keyboard.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

I went back to my old wallpaper immediately. It's too zoomed in so it was just a street grid.

That's unfortunate. I am enjoying the earth live wallpaper. Being able to see the live clouds and the lights appear as the sun moves across the earth is pretty neat.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hamelekim posted:

That's unfortunate. I am enjoying the earth live wallpaper. Being able to see the live clouds and the lights appear as the sun moves across the earth is pretty neat.

Yeah that's what I'm using. Maybe the street background would be interesting if you lived in an old European city or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So why is there no dedicated Pixel thread yet, anyway? Might as well be one, since it's basically in a league of its own... wanted to see a goon rundown on it, but didn't see a thread.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My Pixel XL has shipped 15 days ahead of schedule :toot:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

My Pixel XL has shipped 15 days ahead of schedule :toot:

Mine's still listed as 12/16. :smith:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Mine's still listed as 12/16. :smith:

Mine was listed as the 23rd. Maybe they're starting to get ahead of it all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So why is there no dedicated Pixel thread yet, anyway? Might as well be one, since it's basically in a league of its own... wanted to see a goon rundown on it, but didn't see a thread.
That's what this thread has been for the last month anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LastInLine posted:

Are you sure you're not just using a different keyboard?

I've been using the google keyboard the whole time. Though maybe I'm just confused and it never had them. My phone is on 6.0 and it seems like these emojis weren't added until 6.0.1. My tablet is on 6.0.1 and it has the emojis I'm missing. So maybe I was just using them on my tablet and on the desktop version of hangouts. I could have sworn that I used them on my phone at some point though. Guess I'll just have to save up for a pixel. Seems really stupid that something like emojis needs a major system update in order to support more.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Tunga posted:

What phone is this?

My phone is a HTC One M8s. I'm really at a loss on what to do to debug this problem.
But since I formatted it on my computer as Fat32 and was not recognized I think something must be wrong with my SD card slot?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Cojawfee posted:

I've been using the google keyboard the whole time. Though maybe I'm just confused and it never had them. My phone is on 6.0 and it seems like these emojis weren't added until 6.0.1. My tablet is on 6.0.1 and it has the emojis I'm missing. So maybe I was just using them on my tablet and on the desktop version of hangouts. I could have sworn that I used them on my phone at some point though. Guess I'll just have to save up for a pixel. Seems really stupid that something like emojis needs a major system update in order to support more.

Try the Swiftmoji Keyboard https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftmoji&hl=en

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Unfortunately, this only has emojis supported by my phone.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just to break up the Pixel chat, I ordered the Axon 7 today. It'll be here in a week. I won't post any updates on shipping

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My blackberry priv shipped about a year ago and I got it in 2 days and after updates it's a good phone.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan_Shore posted:

Just to break up the Pixel chat, I ordered the Axon 7 today. It'll be here in a week. I won't post any updates on shipping

It's really good, enjoy! The last update took care of my camera issues so I have no complaints now

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's really good, enjoy! The last update took care of my camera issues so I have no complaints now

I tried to message you! Are you rooted, per chance?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Are you sure? I think we need to know where it's stopping and what the daily ETA is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like I should be getting my cheapie Moto G4 Play today to use as a spare phone/music device/casting device. It will interesting to compare it side by side with the Pixel. They are almost exactly the same dimensions externally with the G4 just being a tiny bit taller and thicker.

I was just going to keep the 5x as a spare (or the MXP), but I don't need last year's flagship for a spare phone and I come out ahead selling them off and buying this. For $129, it's hard to go wrong for a disposable phone.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan_Shore posted:

I tried to message you! Are you rooted, per chance?

No PMs sorry! I'm always on my phone so I haven't bought them yet :) I haven't rooted, but I'll answer any questions I can!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Out of curiosity, how are people liking the OnePlus 3? I've been thinking about upgrading off my Galaxy s5 but I don't have the disposable income for a pixel. I was thinking about getting an Xperia X, but apparently they haven't been reviewing terribly well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
With the new update process, does the phone even tell you its time to reboot for a new software version?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would like to think that it does. I sideloaded the OTA last night though so I don't have first hand experience.

Edit: Apparently it does NOT. Amazing Google.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/08/hands-android-nougats-seamless-update-pixel/

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the downloaded update there is 60mb where the OTA from Google is the full ROM size of 820mb.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 8, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

haha noice. I only included north shore + downtown + broadway because I'm from the north shore and don't really go farther than that. :)

Also I got everything first so you are copying ME

Mine looks really good in person, just like the online preview, I'm very impressed and very glad I ordered one

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Somebody called my phone an iPhone 6+ and I don't know how to feel

Mostly rage

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Duggler posted:

Mostly rage

It's a compliment. iPhones are good phones and you got the most iPhone like Android phone ever.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

The Duggler posted:

Mostly rage

It's like how people used to call any video game console a Nintendo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

I would like to think that it does. I sideloaded the OTA last night though so I don't have first hand experience.

Edit: Apparently it does NOT. Amazing Google.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/08/hands-android-nougats-seamless-update-pixel/

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the downloaded update there is 60mb where the OTA from Google is the full ROM size of 820mb.

What they need to do is add a service that automatically prompts you to reboot your phone if you haven't done it in awhile.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

It's like how people used to call any video game console a Nintendo.

Or any Android phone a Galaxy or Droid.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Those cases giving me the urge to play some gta

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

DeathSandwich posted:

Out of curiosity, how are people liking the OnePlus 3? I've been thinking about upgrading off my Galaxy s5 but I don't have the disposable income for a pixel. I was thinking about getting an Xperia X, but apparently they haven't been reviewing terribly well.
I have been very happy with the OP3. I didn't even have to show my tits to buy one and it came from China really quickly although I did not post any shipping updates in the thread, alas. The phone is lightning fast, the camera takes really great photos, and the OS is extremely close to the stock Android experience including frequent security updates. I think it definitely cannot be beat in the $400 range.

That being said if someone handed me a free Pixel XL (or if they drop to $400) I'd jump right on it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The one thing about OnePlus is their Dash charging. How is that in use? Moving the charging heat from the phone to the charger itself just seems like the best option to prolong battery life overall in all these non replaceable battery phones we are forced to put up with these days.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Seems they'll be announcing/releasing a new OP3T model possibly next week. Probably best to hold off and see what comes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The best thing about the SwiftKey family of keyboards is that you can type "pentagram" and it will suggest an inverted pentagram ⛧.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

My pixel xl on Rogers is actually showing an OTA update,

Am I getting the updates right from Google or is a telecommunications company actually staying up to date with phone software for once?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Duggler posted:

My pixel xl on Rogers is actually showing an OTA update,

Am I getting the updates right from Google or is a telecommunications company actually staying up to date with phone software for once?
Its direct from Google.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm not really enjoying the iPhone 7 Plus and my wife wants off her family's plan. We are both looking at the Pixel but is that drat thing ever going to be in stock again? Especially the XL. Jesus.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My Pixel order went from preordered to pending this weekend! I should have it by next week. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/08/pixels-seem-to-be-having-trouble-with-lte-band-4-connectivity-possibly-other-bands-around-the-world/

Looks like Pixels have global issues with LTE Band 4...but not on T-Mobile in the US?