Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Whoa there, Season 3 started on PTR.
Still has placement matches. Icon/Theme is Volskaya.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Whoa there, Season 3 started on PTR.
Still has placement matches. Icon/Theme is Volskaya.

Will this stuff cross back over to the main account though?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

For most people that leaves 21 characters left to choose from. Getting rid of Hanjo and Windowlicker makes this game and quick-play a lot more enjoyable.

Play competitive? People don't play much Hanzo, Widowmaker where I am.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ravenfood posted:

Will this stuff cross back over to the main account though?

of course not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Torb's honestly the second or third best defence character on offense. His rivet gun pressures Reinhardt's shield in both modes and the modal aspect of it just makes it a really solid gun in general, dropping turrets in random locations where enemies have to shift away to target at some point and weaken the deathball.

His real problem on offense is he can't make openings and get the ball rolling easily, and his massive head hitbox makes chokepoint spam devastating. But he plays just as solidly behind a Reinhardt rectangle as most.

Also Molten Core is a really really good ult.

It's fun to meme Torb every once in a while and get 3 golds and PotG.

E: Keep in mind this is all in quickplay, lmao competitive offense Torb

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 8, 2016

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

source your quotes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

source your quotes

I said second or third best defence on offence I didn't say good on offense

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The best offense is a good defense.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I really like the change to Pharah's jetpack on the PTR.
The initial boost is faster and more powerful and the hover jets also have more lift and take less off the meter. I hope the changes make it to live servers.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It's probably an okay change for Pharah, but it doesn't change what's actually wrong with Pharah: McCree's ubiquity. Either you tone down the cowboy or you make pharah OP as poo poo to everyone else. Small changes to her won't really change anything, except possibly making her more annoying to people who aren't the cowboy or soldier.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's probably an okay change for Pharah, but it doesn't change what's actually wrong with Pharah: McCree's ubiquity. Either you tone down the cowboy or you make pharah OP as poo poo to everyone else. Small changes to her won't really change anything, except possibly making her more annoying to people who aren't the cowboy or soldier.

I think the solution there is for some kind of character that counters McCree and plays well with Pharah to exist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does Widowmaker just not exist at all at the competitive level anymore because holy poo poo does she wreck Pharah. I mean I get that McCree and Soldier do as well but not quite as brutally.

Which is kinda sad because Pharah is my favorite character to play.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Torb constantly generates scrap in PTR now, right? How slowly does it generate?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the solution there is for some kind of character that counters McCree and plays well with Pharah to exist.

Sombra might just be that, since she can get inside his reliable headshot range and then hack him so he can't fan (?) or roll away or stun. Her gun would be pretty trash against a pharah, and once we get used to how fast a sombra moves while stealthed, pharah can probably pop her right back out if she's good at predicting, which you already have to be to be a good pharah.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Hacking McCree doesn't disable Mouse2, but does disable his Roll and Flashbang. A good McCree won't let you hack them before capping you in the face, though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just having clawed my way into platinum, I gotta say, Blizzards matchmaking is on point.

What a stomp that was.

Edit: Ah well, next game we were only facing three diamond players.
You'll get there, MM AI, you'll get there.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 8, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The only thing I don't like about sombra is that it doesn't make sense that an enemy sombra can't hack healthpacks that have already been hacked by an enemy sombra. You should be able to flip those to your team, or at least remove her hack.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I don't care that the Pharah changes don't do anything to make her better against Widow/McCree, she's even funner than she was before and you can stay in the air for somewhere just under forever.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

novaSphere posted:

Hacking McCree doesn't disable Mouse2, but does disable his Roll and Flashbang. A good McCree won't let you hack them before capping you in the face, though.

The problem with hack is that if you were playing Reaper instead the target would be dead in the time it takes to hack, and you aren't stopped by taking 1 damage.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Tom Guycot posted:

The only thing I don't like about sombra is that it doesn't make sense that an enemy sombra can't hack healthpacks that have already been hacked by an enemy sombra. You should be able to flip those to your team, or at least remove her hack.
Then you'd spend all your time running laps to tend to the health kits though which sounds tedious. It would also seriously limit how annoying an offensive Sombra could be. I admit I have only played the PTR in passing so far though so I retain the right to change my tune entirely :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

after playing the no hero limit arcade in ptr, the real answer to why 1 hero limit is in qp is because several sombras at once is awful. she's fun and I like her kit but I utterly despise seeing more than 1 of her

also yea it's way lame that you can't counter hack a healthpack. make it take longer to do but at least make it an option

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does swapping from Sombra onto another character make your hacked packs un-hack, like Widowmaker/Junkrat/Torb deployables go away when you switch off of them?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Slime posted:

The problem with hack is that if you were playing Reaper instead the target would be dead in the time it takes to hack, and you aren't stopped by taking 1 damage.

Yes, Reaper kills people better, but Sombra kills the guys that would click their panic button and escape from Reaper.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Manatee Cannon posted:

after playing the no hero limit arcade in ptr, the real answer to why 1 hero limit is in qp is because several sombras at once is awful. she's fun and I like her kit but I utterly despise seeing more than 1 of her

also yea it's way lame that you can't counter hack a healthpack. make it take longer to do but at least make it an option

I think it would make sense if like, you hacked it and it went back to neutral, so you'd have to wait for cooldown and hack it again if you actually wanted it hacked for your side.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that'd be fine too. it was super frustrating in the arcade mode tho because every health pack is locked down before you can even walk out the door at the start of your offensive round

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that'd be fine too. it was super frustrating in the arcade mode tho because every health pack is locked down before you can even walk out the door at the start of your offensive round

Really? I thought Sombra wasn't supposed to be able to hack packs during setup.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Really? I thought Sombra wasn't supposed to be able to hack packs during setup.

I think he's saying that when the other team has a bunch of Sombras, they all just camp a different healthpack and hack it as soon as the round starts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tom Guycot posted:

They should just make it so death removes any hacks Sombra had out (except maybe from her Ult?). Being able to lockdown a healthpack for a whole minute and nobody can do anything about is pretty stupid considering how powerful/central they are to flankers.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I was playing as Rein and the enemy Sombra kept successfully flanking my team and hacking me. Playing Rein when your team doesn't have your back is harder than ever before. I'm fine with that though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The reason Sombra can't hack it back is they didn't want Sombra to be the answer to another Sombra

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nihilarian posted:

The reason Sombra can't hack it back is they didn't want Sombra to be the answer to another Sombra
She still kinda is though? If you don't want a Sombra to hack a healthpack you get your own Sombra to lock it down first.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I hate the whole idea of hacking health packs and it's the only thing I don't like about the design of the character.

Everything else is extremely rad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's something a lot of people were suggesting for Symmetra, and it ironically makes Sombra more of a support character than she is.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's something a lot of people were suggesting for Symmetra, and it ironically makes Sombra more of a support character than she is.

Huh? How'd that go, Symm throwing a shield into a health pack that the enemy team has to destroy before they can grab it?

Actually yeah, I like that idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It is so fun playing with a competent Lucio. Especially if you are playing Tracer. You are a loving monster when speed boosted and not having to use recall to recover as often really is wonderful. I finally went positive in KDR with her, and like over a really short period of time. I didn't really get her until like, October and was massively negative.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
So if I'm playing ranked, and I'm matched with a premade, and someone in that premade disconnects...why exactly do *I* lose rank when we inevitably get stomped?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

It is so fun playing with a competent Lucio. Especially if you are playing Tracer. You are a loving monster when speed boosted and not having to use recall to recover as often really is wonderful. I finally went positive in KDR with her, and like over a really short period of time. I didn't really get her until like, October and was massively negative.

That reminds me; are there any guides/tips on how to be a better Lúcio now that the game has been out for a while?

He's my second most played hero, but I'm pretty garbage at actually utilizing his abilities. I mainly speedboost out of spawn or to get my team out of ults (Mei's Blizzard, D.Va's self-destruct etc.) and stay on healing the rest of the time, boosting when we're under heavy fire. Also I can't hit anything with his gun but I assume that no one can because ugh, travel time and split shots?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Its weird that shes the only offensive hero without a damage dealing ult.

Shes really more of a defensive hero.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

So if I'm playing ranked, and I'm matched with a premade, and someone in that premade disconnects...why exactly do *I* lose rank when we inevitably get stomped?

To keep people from abusing the system to avoid rank loss. Rotating the person who leaves, harassing people into leaving, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You could prevent the rotation thing by making everyone in the leaver's group receive a penalty. I'm not sure that harassment would become a bigger issue than it is already, people already scream at you if they perceive you don't have a gold medal for whatever. Dota 2 has a system where the game becomes safe to leave without penalty if the leaver doesn't come back after a few minutes, and I never saw anyone successfully bullied out of a game over my ~2k hours.