Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Darkest Dungeon seems so intent to screw the player with so much petty bullshit it's a wonder they didn't add the possibility for characters to succumb to diabetic shock when they down a health potion, or chafe themselves to death from itchy blankets.

DD is a warning as to why you never listen exclusively to your hardcore fan base about how to develop a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RyokoTK posted:

Those aren't really microtransactions, that's DLC, and you have to leave the game and go to the e-shop to buy them. I think he's talking more about mobile game "you're out of plays for today, unless you want to spend $1 for more!" kind of crap.

Pokemon Shuffle has those on the 3DS; not sure if they ever ported it to WiiU though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

DD is a warning as to why you never listen exclusively to your hardcore fan base about how to develop a game.

I remember this sentiment cropping up whenever DD comes up, but I still don't really have a feel for what's lovely game design.

I mean, the only thing that comes to mind is that it kinda blows to start the game and have enemies doing nearly a fifth of your entire stress bar in one hit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RareAcumen posted:

I remember this sentiment cropping up whenever DD comes up, but I still don't really have a feel for what's lovely game design.

I mean, the only thing that comes to mind is that it kinda blows to start the game and have enemies doing nearly a fifth of your entire stress bar in one hit.

Rogue likes have to toe a line between luck and skill. Some luck is needed to make them interesting, since random design is a basic tenant of the genre. But go too far and the player feels they have no real control.

DD relies too much on not getting hosed by the RNG and it removes a players feeling of agency.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

Rogue likes have to toe a line between luck and skill. Some luck is needed to make them interesting, since random design is a basic tenant of the genre. But go too far and the player feels they have no real control.

DD relies too much on not getting hosed by the RNG and it removes a players feeling of agency.

One of the great roguelike games, Ancient Domains of Mystery, had a potion in it called the Potion of Uselessness. It has no effect, not even thirst quenching, on use. It is such a totally worthless item that there is a stupid-powerful easter egg just for finding the one way that you can make progress using it. That's good roguelike design- rewarding player ingenuity and cleverness, making players feel good about system mastery.

DD is entirely a solvable combat game with some added RNG traps that mostly punish underpreparation, except that the system forces you to deal with the results though punitive systems rather than intuitive ones. If you hit a trap that you can't solve at the end of a corridor, there's no ability to turn around; you have to walk backward, building up stress damage. If an enemy kills a party member, you can't ask the healer with the back-line skills to leave a space, she moves forward regardless and can be rendered utterly useless. Is that item not useful on that loot crate? You lose both with zero fanfare and no warning.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Wintermutant posted:

Pokemon Shuffle has those on the 3DS; not sure if they ever ported it to WiiU though.

Pokemon rumble world(?) had you buying new levels, remembering certain moves, upgrading passive bonuses with gems you could pay irl money for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The killcam is intended to show you where people are placed, in case they are just hanging out there. It's especially useful if the enemy team has a sniper.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Every Zelda Game Ever: that loving last small key in the dungeon. I know where to go, I know where the boss key is, that's never a problem. I got the map and the compass but didn't get a stupid small key somewhere and have to backtrack and/or guess where could it be. And it happened in every Zelda game I played so far.

Also Water Temple is not difficult, it's just boring. OoT's a pretty vanilla game in general.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like it when certain games have elevators. Because I know I'm going to have to go to each and every floor to find collectibles, experience, or secrets and stuff. I guess it's functionally equivalent to just having a bunch of interconnected rooms, I guess, but there's something about seeing a list of floors that I know I'll be visiting that makes me purse my lips.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hate it because I know there'll be a bug and the door will get stuck or the game will crash as soon as the elevator stops moving.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

The killcam is intended to show you where people are placed, in case they are just hanging out there. It's especially useful if the enemy team has a sniper.

It's also handy for spotting hackers. If someone is tracking you through the wall, that's, uh, fishy. It was nice to have a killcam when COD4 added the whole cover penetration thing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my loving god, there's nothing like grinding rep for a pirate faction in a space game, only for the game to harshly punish you for 'failing' a mission, undoing hours of work.

Rogue Galaxy has its good sides but holy poo poo that is not it's finest moment to see me go from almost neutral with the only bandit faction that matters to mid hate because the game spawned a militia cruised instead of poo poo pirates.

And unlike Freelancer, you can't really pay to up your rep or kill people they hate; the system is somehow cruder than the one in a game older than most of my cousins. Baffling, really.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Rogue Galaxy has its good sides but holy poo poo that is not it's finest moment to see me go from almost neutral with the only bandit faction that matters to mid hate because the game spawned a militia cruised instead of poo poo pirates.

Eh? Rogue Galaxy is that lovely JRPG from Level-5.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably mean Rebel Galaxy.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, whoops, Rebel Galaxy, my bad.

Though if I had left it out, you coulda guessed between Freelancer, the X series or Rebel Galaxy and probably some others because it is seriously common in this genre.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's a great game and Level 5 are a great company.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FactsAreUseless posted:

Level 5 are a great company.

Wellll let's remember Level 5 also made White Knight Chronicles.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The only game of theirs I've played from what I remember is Ni no Kuni, which was really dragged out towards the end and had a very dull alchemy system.

It really is a wonder how many games gently caress that up. Either it's slow and irritating and not worth it or just way better than anything else and you're gimping yourself by not using it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dragonball Xenoverse 2's pc port is a game that is held together with twigs and unchewed bubble gum. the game hard locks whenever I flip through the PQ menu, it'll crash sometimes when i do my X combo or get hit a few times, i've verified the game cache plenty of times, nothing's ever been out of place.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a great game and Level 5 are a great company.

The only jrpgs I remember playing within the last 5 years or so were this one and Ni no Kuni which were both really fun games. If I was playing them with the "PYF thing dragging down this game" checklist in my head I'm sure they'd be awful but Rogue Galaxy had some pretty fun combat, good music, and even the pretty bad story had its positive sides such as Deego, an ex-military dog man fighting for love. I remember being hella underlevelled in Ni no Kuni causing each boss battle to be like 20+ minutes long with limited room for error which I found to be the funnest thing for some reason. Plus Ni no Kuni had a story which was actually pretty charming and fun to romp through unlike just about every other video game story ever made.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I hate ladders in fps games. it's such a crapshoot whether they'll be good and keep me on regardless of where I'm looking or they'll suck and I'll fall off while I'm checking out my surroundings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best ladders are ones that you have to manually hit the 'use' button on to mount or dismount. The world of videogame ladders is as lawless as the wild west, and the ladder that you hit 'use' on is the sheriff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I hate ladders in fps games. it's such a crapshoot whether they'll be good and keep me on regardless of where I'm looking or they'll suck and I'll fall off while I'm checking out my surroundings.

Same. It's also one of those areas where I'm 100% in favor of convenience over realism and I don't mind if you can move up or down ladders at ludicrous speeds because it's tedious as hell otherwise.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Nov 8, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Phlegmish posted:

Same. It's also one of those areas where I'm 100% in favor of convenience over realism and I don't mind if you can move up or down ladders at ludicrous speeds because it's tedious as hell otherwise.

my favorite thing about CSGO is that no matter how realistic the visuals are compared to past installments, watching someone climb a ladder in third person still shows the levitating in midair while in their neutral pose.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I would take the worst 'sticky' ladder in the world over the ladders in Dead Space 3 co-op. Your partner has to be several feet clear of the ladder for you o hop on, and both players get spammed with "Partner requires more room!" during the entire process. Isaac and Carver can both fit on that 15 foot ladder, don't do this to me, game. :(

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
God Hand has the best ladders. You press a button and Gene jumps on top of them. No climbing.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh my loving god, there's nothing like grinding rep for a pirate faction in a space game, only for the game to harshly punish you for 'failing' a mission, undoing hours of work.

And unlike Freelancer, you can't really pay to up your rep or kill people they hate; the system is somehow cruder than the one in a game older than most of my cousins. Baffling, really.

Who needs the pirates?

Acquire this.

https://fat.gfycat.com/WelcomeUnkemptAmericanredsquirrel.webm

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Jump pads are always better than ladders and I would always sacrifice a little bit of video game realism if that means putting jump pads in a level so I can quickly launch to the next floor. DOOM inexplicably had jump pads in some of the Mars levels and no one cared because they own.

eta: Also jump pad frags in deathmatch are by default the most stylish frags.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The worst ladders were in Mafia III because you had to push a button to go up but not to go down and I couldn't ever remember which way was which

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite video game ladders have to be the ones in the Deus Ex reboot games. If you use the ladder from the wrong side, Jensen automatically goes around to the other side and hops on. Too many times I have tried to use a ladder and then felt like a real dummy because I was on the wrong side and didn't look up first.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Batman does the same

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Level 5 is a great developer that just has a very unfortunate fixation with turning what could have been excellent 20 hour RPGS into bloated grindy 80 hour slogs. If they ever put out rebalanced versions of Dark Cloud 2 or Rogue Galaxy I would buy them in an instant.

Action Tortoise posted:

Bethesda RPGs have never had ladders in them at all, which is great because when people talk about how in Morrowind there are buildings that you have to use levitation to explore and how it's such a deep lore cut it's almost certainly because of they had to cover for that at some point in development.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

Bethesda RPGs have never had ladders in them at all, which is great because when people talk about how in Morrowind there are buildings that you have to use levitation to explore and how it's such a deep lore cut it's almost certainly because of they had to cover for that at some point in development.

That makes no sense, why wouldn't they just have flat buildings, stairs, or loading zones between floors like everything else?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

That makes no sense, why wouldn't they just have flat buildings, stairs, or loading zones between floors like everything else?

There are, there are also just not any ladders.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You'd think they would have gone with the OG Doom method and made ladders actually be a series of stairs with very thin steps behind the scenes. Or at least a special very steep slope the player can climb. But I guess if you design your game around not needing ladders then there's no reason to put some in for the hell of it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm aware there are no ladders in Morrowind, it's just weird that someone would think that there are no ladders in Morrowind because of technical limitations, but they wanted to have tall buildings with chutes so they forced the player to have a levitate spell instead.

Really, travel is so inconvenient in Morrowind already that the prima facie explanation of why you have to levitate is actually the most likely one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bethesda are so incompetent that they don't understand how to add ladders to their games. This is actually the case.

quote:

Answer: "We're game development pussies," Bethesda's Todd Howard said at a QuakeCon panel on Friday. No really, the engine in Fallout and Elder Scrolls runs into AI problems if ladders are introduced, and the developer just works around them.

"One day, we tried to figure out why we wanted ladders so bad because we don't really need them," Howard told the panel, according to IGN. "It just felt like we're game development pussies because we can't do ladders."

Howard indicated the studio's revisited the subject repeatedly but finds it couldn't do them without fading to a loading screen.

The Morrowind explanation for the levitate towers is that they all belong to elitist Telvanni wizards who don't want magicless peasants to be able to bother them, which at least makes sense, in that one specific example.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

You'd think they would have gone with the OG Doom method and made ladders actually be a series of stairs with very thin steps behind the scenes. Or at least a special very steep slope the player can climb. But I guess if you design your game around not needing ladders then there's no reason to put some in for the hell of it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Bethesda are so incompetent that they don't understand how to add ladders to their games. This is actually the case.

The Morrowind explanation for the levitate towers is that they all belong to elitist Telvanni wizards who don't want magicless peasants to be able to bother them, which at least makes sense, in that one specific example.

Yeah, okay. :shrug:

I guess I don't dispute that Bethesda doesn't know how to make ladders work, because they don't know how to make loving anything work. But on the other hand, it would be extremely easy to work around not having ladders, which was more my point, since you could simply put stairs or ramps or loading screens between floors if you really wanted to. Video game buildings don't really need to have ladders as the primary transition between floors for basically the same reason that real-life buildings don't: stairs work just fine and are much easier anyway. Which was kind of my point: the Telvanni towers require you to levitate between floors probably for the actual lore reason they claim, since otherwise they would have just done something else.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The lore reason is that those are wizard clan houses. And any wizard whod be worth anything to the clan can manage a levitate spell.

Cool in theory, but annoying when playing a musclebeefhead and advancing through the plot requires that you traverse them quite a bit, so stock up on your potions or scrolls of levitate or youre poo poo for luck.

F;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Enchanting a ring with a level 1 levitate spell on use is incredibly inexpensive and super useful for pretty much the entire game.