Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Gits is guaranteed to be a boring generic Hollywood, but who cares since overwatch now has the Mexican Major

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Polygon no, you were doing well for a while:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/7/13555814/overwatch-love-story-blizzcon-help-kyle-find-tracer

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I'll never forget the best vine for Lucy:
https://vine.co/v/OD91p1jba0i

lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In what world is this stupid bullshit news

edit: IMPORTANT VIDEO GAMING NEWS: A GUY POSTED A CRAIGSLIST MISSED CONNECTIONS BUT IT'S TANGENTIALLY RELATED TO A VIDEO GAME

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress windows so much. I left my laptop open overnight because I was installing some software that I need. Of course, it decided to reboot to install updates, so I don't have a great way to tell if the software completed installing. I don't think that it did, since it seems to have just created a bunch of empty directories. That's awesome.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That guy's a fuckin creep lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tbh I was expecting this to be about the halloween mercy

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

devtesla posted:

That guy's a fuckin creep lol

I mean, honestly in theory it wasn't that bad. He met someone at blizzcon, didn't get a number, and thought someone on r/overwatch might know her.

It's just he forgot that people on the internet ruin everything and make it way more creepy than it needs to be.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
if you were the toriel cosplayer who gave me a blowjob at dragoncon, PLEASE inbox me. i think you took my wallet. it looks like an NES

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, the whole reason I tried to install LaTeX overnite at home is because the last time I tried to install it at school the school wifi was so bad it was impossible. So now I'm trying again. At school. And it's not working. All because my loving OS is too stupid to not shut down in the middle of an installation.

Also, I keep getting popups to delete my old OS. I've clicked delete every time. Which does nothing. Also I already deleted my old OS like, months ago. I was going to switch to a Mac after this, because of all this bullshit, but now Apple is getting rid of the esc and f keys, so like, what the gently caress I just want a computer and phone that work.

my phone can't sent text messages, only receives messages after 10-48 hours, can't install updates, and can no longer transfer data over the usb cable. So trying to back up my poo poo so I can throw it in the garbage is taking forever.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Assuming you're on Windows 10 you can turn off Window's ability to restart your computer for updates entirely in the group policy editor. It's like the very first thing I do for any win10 installation, because it's outrageously loving stupid if you don't. I had Windows restart my computer while I was playing Overwatch before I starting turning all that poo poo off.

Also highly recommend just disabling Windows Update service period, otherwise it can and will do hit like update your video card drivers while playing games and such.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Assuming you're on Windows 10 you can turn off Window's ability to restart your computer for updates entirely in the group policy editor. It's like the very first thing I do for any win10 installation, because it's outrageously loving stupid if you don't. I had Windows restart my computer while I was playing Overwatch before I starting turning all that poo poo off.

Also highly recommend just disabling Windows Update service period, otherwise it can and will do hit like update your video card drivers while playing games and such.

Where do I find this group policy editor?

edit:

quote:

gpedit : The term 'gpedit' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 8, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

if you were the toriel cosplayer who gave me a blowjob at dragoncon, PLEASE inbox me. i think you took my wallet. it looks like an NES

lol

Snak posted:

Like, the whole reason I tried to install LaTeX overnite at home is because the last time I tried to install it at school the school wifi was so bad it was impossible. So now I'm trying again. At school. And it's not working. All because my loving OS is too stupid to not shut down in the middle of an installation.
Sorry I can't stop thinking that you're trying to fit your computer into latex suits.

I think you need to save up for a new phone.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Keep in mind one of the things different about Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro is the update settings, and you can't change it to stop automatically updating on Home (without registry hacks, anyway).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

lol

Sorry I can't stop thinking that you're trying to fit your computer into latex suits.

I think you need to save up for a new phone.

yeah, I'm getting a new phone as soon as I finish backing up my stuff of this one. But again, I have to do it all through various cloud uploading services, since the cable transfer stopped working. Which worked fine a month ago.

Like I tried to upload all my camera pics to dropbox. Well the first 3 methods I tried of doing that just... did nothing. Click upload, nothing happens. Finally got it work in a way where I didn't get a chance to specify the folder. Awesome.

and then of course there wasn't actually space in my dropbox account for all of them (god forbid android tell you how big your upload is), so now I have to find which ones didn't get uploaded. And that was just camera pictures, not counting other documents and downloaded things.

edit: ^ oh, yeah, then I can't do it.

I guess I'm in the market for the current/last generation of macbook pros, since I, you know, need loving buttons.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh yuck, didn't know that there is no Group Policy Editor in Home version. That's loving ridiculous.

You can do it like this then, open up Regedit and go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
and set the value of NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers to 1. That should stop it from forcing a reboot on you randomly.

Also importantly while you're at it, one level up there is ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate, which you probably want to turn on as well. That supposedly stops it from downloading new video card drivers and that like.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, honestly in theory it wasn't that bad. He met someone at blizzcon, didn't get a number, and thought someone on r/overwatch might know her.
Nah, the second part of this sentence is creepy by any standards and if I blamed internet for something it would be that it made people think it's not.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh hey, a game I backed on Kickstarter is out on Steam. I nearly missed my code! :sweatdrop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

Nah, the second part of this sentence is creepy by any standards and if I blamed internet for something it would be that it made people think it's not.

It's not that he thought someone on r/overwatch might know her and point her to him, he thought she might personally see his message. That's why it's addressed to her. That's what a missed connections message is.

But he still probably should've posted it on craigslist or something instead of a forum where threads are listed top-down by their popularity

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh yuck, didn't know that there is no Group Policy Editor in Home version. That's loving ridiculous.

You can do it like this then, open up Regedit and go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
and set the value of NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers to 1. That should stop it from forcing a reboot on you randomly.

Also importantly while you're at it, one level up there is ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate, which you probably want to turn on as well. That supposedly stops it from downloading new video card drivers and that like.

You sure that's the correct path? I couldn't find Windows Update inside of Windows

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5Z7ZfAa9Y

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

You sure that's the correct path? I couldn't find Windows Update inside of Windows

yeah, I don't see it either.

edit: This http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-via-registry/
says you have to create the key.

That's "create a system restore point before attempting" territory.

aka I will forget to do it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 8, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I have always wanted one of these things. :negative:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Snak posted:

yeah, I don't see it either.

edit: This http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-via-registry/
says you have to create the key.

That's "create a system restore point before attempting" territory.

aka I will forget to do it.

Oh I never considered that you had to make the directory :downs:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope this patch that's downloading for Skyrim fixes the "Vampires killing NPCs" bug. I can wait but my wife really wants to play it. :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

tap my mountain posted:

Oh I never considered that you had to make the directory :downs:

Yeah apparently you have to manually create it on Home. It's completely insane that you have to jump through all these hoops just to get Windows 10 to not do completely stupid poo poo it shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Alternatively I don't know if Home has the Services control panel or not, but if it does you can just go in there and disable Windows Update service entirely.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I deleted polygon from my Feedly feed yesterday. Seems like I had good timing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, on some level, I understand the reasoning here. People don't install important updates. This may sound like a personal thing, but my understanding is that poor security like this contributes to making botnets possible.

But yeah, shutting down a computer that's in use is just not okay.

I've used all three major operating systems, and I'm just really unhappy with all of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had enough Gamespot Funbux to get Mafia 3 for $10.

I feel pretty confident about that, we'll see how it plays when it's done installing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Since I turned off auto-updates I've had very little issues with Windows 10. It's a very nice OS with a handful of really super lovely things bolted onto it.

The HID Driver break being the other major issue I've had with it, but rolling back from that wasn't too painful at least once I figured out what the heck the issue was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

I hope this patch that's downloading for Skyrim fixes the "Vampires killing NPCs" bug. I can wait but my wife really wants to play it. :(

That's not a bug, unfortunately. It's something they added with some of the DLC and it's really annoying. If you're playing on PC, you can use the Console to resurrect poor Belethor, though (he's always one of the first to go).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Since I turned off auto-updates I've had very little issues with Windows 10. It's a very nice OS with a handful of really super lovely things bolted onto it.

The HID Driver break being the other major issue I've had with it, but rolling back from that wasn't too painful at least once I figured out what the heck the issue was.

I have had a lot of problems getting *nix tools and such working right on my computer. I ended up just using VMs for most of my work, but randomly every once in awhile, VM ware just breaks for no reason, and suddenly I can't do anything until I fix it. I just want to use basic command line tools like SSH and various assorted things. And yes, I know there are a bunch of ways to do it in Windows, I know because I've tried most of them. But it's always a pain in the rear end. "Oh, you have an old version of cygwin somewhere ruining everything". Not on purpose, like you installed one tool, which installed cygwin somewhere, and then you went "oh look, github has a gui client, I'll check that out" and it installed another version of cygwin somewhere, and now everything is broken again.

Just because I want to perform basic tasks that work out of the box on a mac or in linux.

And don't get me started on Windows PowerShell. It's great all the times except when it isn't.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what does exchanging faces mean

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It might be a weird way of saying "we got to know each other", I guess?

Meanwhile, in first-time game dev land:

http://puu.sh/sb1FC/49d50aa844.webm

I made skeletons. The player can beat up the skeletons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

what does exchanging faces mean

He describes it in the edit. He says he passed her leaving and made a really goofy face at her, and she responded by making a real goofy face back.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hello chat thread.

I just sent an email in which I used "they're" instead of the correct "their"

My life is over. My name is mud. My family has abandoned me.

Goodbye, cruel world.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Like, on some level, I understand the reasoning here. People don't install important updates. This may sound like a personal thing, but my understanding is that poor security like this contributes to making botnets possible.

But yeah, shutting down a computer that's in use is just not okay.

I've used all three major operating systems, and I'm just really unhappy with all of them.

snak confirmed for haiku fan

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

I have always wanted one of these things. :negative:

I just checked and an Otamatone is like $23 on Amazon. It's a pretty achievable goal for someone with the patience to keep shaving seconds off their New York Minute run. Realize your dreams!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

It might be a weird way of saying "we got to know each other", I guess?

Meanwhile, in first-time game dev land:

http://puu.sh/sb1FC/49d50aa844.webm

I made skeletons. The player can beat up the skeletons.

Just what the world needs. Another pixelated Dark Souls clone. :toot:

I kid. It looks cool and inspiring. Make more skeletons and give them fewer HPs so you can go on a rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Just what the world needs. Another pixelated Dark Souls clone. :toot:

I kid. It looks cool and inspiring. Make more skeletons and give them fewer HPs so you can go on a rampage.

Well, the idea behind the game is that it's halfway between a dungeon crawler and an idle game. I was playing an idle game and I noticed that every one of them has a bunch of downtime where you're just waiting for resources to pile up to buy the next thing, so even if you want to play it actively, you can't. So I decided that for my game the 'thing' you are progressing by idling is your main character, so if you want to keep playing and making progress/earning exp and gold and whathaveyou, you can.

The main screen is the dungeon crawler, but there's also a bunch of buttons along the bottom (eventually it'll be a list you can scroll) to improve the raw idling if you want to spend your money on that instead.

• Locked thread