Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

brocretin posted:

Yeah, good choice imo, though who the heck is Alberic of Bourdeleaux?

e; also i'm glad they're taking their time in pushing content. this game deserves the best imo

The Duke of... Bourdelaux. I don't know his gimmick, but he will probably have a different start position (since Bourdelaux is a faction) and campaign gimmick than Leouen and the Fay Enchantress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
They posted this on twitter (and it'll presumably be on the total war wiki too):

I noticed on the Grombrindal leaflet that it says the codes expire on the 3rd of January, so it would make sense that anyone who didn't get the White Dwarf codes will get him for free sometime in January, or shortly before Bretonnia in February at any rate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Was about to post that. If Wood Elves are next, the New Hero + Lore of Magic would be the Lore of Life and its respective wizard as the FLC.

I guess that leaves the Lore of Shadows and its wizard as the final remaining Lore to come along with the next DLC. Who's an iconic character that practices it?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ZearothK posted:

Was about to post that. If Wood Elves are next, the New Hero + Lore of Magic would be the Lore of Life and its respective wizard as the FLC.

I guess that leaves the Lore of Shadows and its wizard as the final remaining Lore to come along with the next DLC. Who's an iconic character that practices it?

Most famously Malekith, although that's definitely going to have to wait for a while. They could add Reiner Starke as a legendary lord, to be the Ghorst to Gelt's kemmler (IE Still pretty bad but better)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Don't the Wood Elves have some lords, heroes or special characters than can use shadow magic?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Any inkling who the "Old Friend" will be?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Randarkman posted:

Don't the Wood Elves have some lords, heroes or special characters than can use shadow magic?

Races with Shadow Magic
Available to: Empire, Beastmen, Chaos Warriors (unmarked or Slaanesh) and Daemons (Slaanesh only), Vampires, Lizardmen (Slann only), all Elves, Bretonnia (Fay Enchantress only).

Pulled that from the d4chan wiki page, no idea how accurate it is

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Randarkman posted:

IIRC All wood elf casters can use any of the human schools of magic + High elf and Dark elf specific lores. Basically the only stuff they are locked out of is the faction specific ones (Beastmen's Lore of the Wild, Greenskin Lore of Big/little Waagh, ect). Per the tabletop rules, Wood elves in theory should have the most magically diverse casters full stop. Now if CA actually follows through with that is yet to be seen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Kemmler doing the bro moment from Predator with Krell

"KRELL, YOU SONUVABEECH"

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ZearothK posted:

The Duke of... Bourdelaux. I don't know his gimmick, but he will probably have a different start position (since Bourdelaux is a faction) and campaign gimmick than Leouen and the Fay Enchantress.

According to the Warhammer Wiki which pulls from the RPG, Alberic is one of the few Dukes that's not a Grail Knight. Borderleaux is the primo vino dukedom in Bretonnia and produces the finest wines of the Old World, and even has a unique building in the game already. Alberic's "gimmick" is that he's getting up there in years and really really wants to go on his Grail Quest before he kicks the bucket, but he's having trouble finding a steward for the duchy. Normally that'd fall to his son, but Fremund is gallavanting on his own Grail Quest already.

Mordja posted:

:toxx: I'm going to say Krell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be interesting to see how Andy hall's video game writing will stack up against the "quality" we've come to expect from black library.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Oh hey, a female LL :toot:

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Triskelli posted:

According to the Warhammer Wiki which pulls from the RPG, Alberic is one of the few Dukes that's not a Grail Knight. Borderleaux is the primo vino dukedom in Bretonnia and produces the finest wines of the Old World, and even has a unique building in the game already. Alberic's "gimmick" is that he's getting up there in years and really really wants to go on his Grail Quest before he kicks the bucket, but he's having trouble finding a steward for the duchy. Normally that'd fall to his son, but Fremund is gallavanting on his own Grail Quest already.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he'll be the non-knight-focused LL. Also CA is definitely striking out on their own for the most part with Alberic. As far as I can tell he's never been a tabletop lord. Seems like they're committed to making them a full-fledged faction, which means we'll see some interesting roster additions.

Someone on Reddit was also pointing out that the Green Knight might be a campaign mechanic for Bretonnia. Would be a neat addition :shrug:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

brocretin posted:

Someone on Reddit was also pointing out that the Green Knight might be a campaign mechanic for Bretonnia.

Or if they're lazy he'll just be a spell summon

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

brocretin posted:

Someone on Reddit was also pointing out that the Green Knight might be a campaign mechanic for Bretonnia. Would be a neat addition :shrug:

That would be kinda awesome - have any fight with lots of troops and even-or-infavourable balance of power have a chance to have Cavalry Grimgor come in and wreck poo poo.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I'm really excited about Bretonnia but I really thought that was coming this month lmao, definitely not crying, this is a lmao

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

FutonForensic posted:

I'm really excited about Bretonnia but I really thought that was coming this month lmao, definitely not crying, this is a lmao

:same: but I trust CA's DLC team that it needed more time in the oven. There's only like 10 guys working on content for this game, remember!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

brocretin posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he'll be the non-knight-focused LL. Also CA is definitely striking out on their own for the most part with Alberic. As far as I can tell he's never been a tabletop lord. Seems like they're committed to making them a full-fledged faction, which means we'll see some interesting roster additions.

Some wishful thinking, but I expect Alberic is going to get a LL quest all about finding The Grail. He'll probably be stuck at lower-tier units but with some serious boosts to Leadership (Free wine boosts morale after all). The campaign plays like an Erstatz Medieval II where you get a knightly tour of the Old World seeking the Lady.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 8, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I expect Krell to be the Old Friend coming along the Legendary Heroes DLC.

I also expect the extra Legendary Lord to be an Empire character, probably an elector-count with their own faction, because the Empire is the only one of the core factions without a fourth LL. Fully featured Boris Todbringer or a minor character getting the Albreck/Ghorst treatment? But no idea what would be the DLC to acompany it. Maybe a Knightly Orders themed-pack for the Empire and Bretonnia? Minor human factions DLC? No idea.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZearothK posted:

I expect Krell to be the Old Friend coming along the Legendary Heroes DLC.

I also expect the extra Legendary Lord to be an Empire character, probably an elector-count with their own faction, because the Empire is the only one of the core factions without a fourth LL. Fully featured Boris Todbringer or a minor character getting the Albreck/Ghorst treatment? But no idea what would be the DLC to acompany it. Maybe a Knightly Orders themed-pack for the Empire and Bretonnia? Minor human factions DLC? No idea.

I know it's probably not canon friendly, but I would love it if they gave Empire a Witch Hunter Lord. Make him more ranged focused with buffs to any crossbows or riflemen under him.

Alternatively, if I want to stay focused on ranged characters: Give them Markus Wulfhart and make him a ranged anti large lord that also buffs ranged/vanguard deploy units. Focus him in on Free company and crossbows. Start him in Middenland.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 8, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone done a VC writeup lately? I'm curious about their raise dead mechanic. Is it better to raise or recruit armies?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Bitter, complaining entitled crew checking in.

No but seriously, I just wish they could give us Skaven, Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves and Ogres tomorrow, that's all I want.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Anyone done a VC writeup lately? I'm curious about their raise dead mechanic. Is it better to raise or recruit armies?
Do you want units immediately or cheaply? Also, you can often raise units you can't recruit in that province and vice versa.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is it better to raise or recruit armies?

I only play on hard and I'm wrong 100% of the time when I talk about this game but I really feel it's situational. If there's nobody in sight I"ll recruit to save the ghostbux. If I just took a pounding with more bad guys on the horizon then I'll combine units and raise dead and hire RoR to get back to a full stack ASAP.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Raise dead units always start at level 0 and don't benefit from +exp research and they are slightly more expensive. On the other hand, they recruit instantly, so no waiting for the next turn and no stopping your army's momentum to do so. If you can get a city with a battle marker fairly early (as oft happens along the Ostland and Kislev border due to their skirmishes) then you can recruit units well beyond your tech tree up to and including black coaches and blood knights for really hellish battle markers. Crypt Horrors and grave guard are pretty common in even low end battle markers so it's useful to mass recruit in those regions to get an instant force of shock troops to shore up a defense or to prepare for a new offense.

To an extent you can game how the battle markers are generated, recruit an army with nothing but zombies or skeletons and use ambush stance and corraling with an allied army to force fights on strategic sites and force hellish meatgrinder battles that have massive casualties on both sides. A certain amount of battle death has to happen before markers start showing up so you may not see anything for a couple of battles.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

brocretin posted:

Get ready for endless fights to make it back to that arid shithole :v

Btw, Rangers might have less mass than more heavily-armored dwarf units, and they sure don't have expert charge defense. Don't be too overzealous hunting cavalry with them.

Also, has anyone figured out a niche for Bugman's Rangers, or are they just a gimmick?

Bugman's Rangers are better, more expensive rangers. Seriously I've used them enough by now to confirm that the accuracy penalty makes almost no actual loving difference in practice and everything else they have is a straight upgrade. Regen+really good MD makes them stupidly durable in pretty much all situations where they aren't straight plowed through by shock cavalry or whatever.

quote:

Drycha (Dryad Hero) is the only named WE character who uses Shadow Magic, but she'd be a decent inclusion. Shadow Dancer Heroes also have it, and all of their generic mages can take Shadow if they want.

As far as the new FLC teaser goes, the Lord background looks an awfully lot like something VCs would have, so I'm guessing somebody who'd be able to start in Moussilon, or maybe Neferata to go along with Tomb Kings.

I've also seen a lot of people posting that the "Old friend" background looks an awfully lot like Middleheim, so Boris+whatever as a playable Middenland faction maybe?

Either way, it seems we're not getting a terrible amount of added DLC before the next expansion ships. Looks like Wood Elves+2 new lores to close out the year, Grombrindal probably won't be paired with anything, so just whatever paid DLC gets released with Brettonia, the new Lord, and the Old friend. I'm thinking no more than three more DLCs after the Wood Elves and then the announce the New World Expansion.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Was really hoping to do a WElves/Bretonnia co-op campaign this year, so I'm a bit disappointed that won't happen, but I suppose it's better they take their time with it rather than rush it out the door.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

madmac posted:

Bugman's Rangers are better, more expensive rangers. Seriously I've used them enough by now to confirm that the accuracy penalty makes almost no actual loving difference in practice and everything else they have is a straight upgrade. Regen+really good MD makes them stupidly durable in pretty much all situations where they aren't straight plowed through by shock cavalry or whatever.

Yeah? The accuracy issue struck me that way too but I had no real way to substantiate that.

e; also i think it's a bit early to say what's gonna happen when that roadmap runs out. might be the first expansion, might just be the end of their currently-planned content

brocretin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 9, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Looking at the picture again it does say "and more to come" so you may be right on that. Really at this point anything they release after Wood Elves will be a surprise and probably start a whole new frenzy of speculation.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Okay, I'm thinking this is a bug:

Or my rangers replaced their quarrels with goddamn harpoons.

It happens when I trigger the engineer's buff, which is weird, because on paper that buff only affects reload speed and accuracy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Everyone saying Krell is insane.

We already got Ghorst, Vlad, and will be getting Isabella since she's in the game files. ANOTHER VC Lord is going too far.

Secondly he's tied to Nagash, and Nagash isn't in the game yet. Worse, Nagash isn't in the game files, or leaked at all. The best hope we have for Nagash is he gets added as a secondary invasion alongside the Tomb Kings, but at the same time, they might not.

Thirdly, the image background is of Dwarf Mountains/Empire City, and they've always tied to the background.

So let's think about this for a second.

Who is a Dwarf that's in the game files but not in the game yet.

Who is a very popular Dwarf that has far more name recognition then Krell.

Who is a very popular Dwarf that has a human friend.

Who is a very popular Dwarf that, if you were going to tie a proverbial knot around your product and call it the "Old World Edition" right before you launched a High Elves/Dark Elves/Lizardman campaign would be THE defining character of said "Old World".

It sure as hell isn't Krell, that's for drat sure.

New Lord is obviously Isabella. She's also in the game files, and she pairs across the FreeLC with Vlad. Alt option is Mousillion faction unlock with the Lord being the Red Duke. That's a lot of work though, and feels like CA would charge for something like that in a Grim and Grave p2 DLC more then offer it as a FreeLC.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Signs up are open! You can post in this thread with your Steam profile.

1v1 Goon Tournament #3
This is a round robin setup where everybody plays a set against everybody else and your total number of wins are counted at the end. Additionally, if the two top-scoring players are within 3 points of each other at the end then they'll play a finals round (adding wins to total score as normal).

Game Settings:
-funds, unit size are set to large
-First map is Pfeildorf, loser picks map in subsequent rounds
-Three rounds played per set

Comp rules:
-25% of your army's cost must consist of "core" units*
-A maximum of 25% of your army's cost may consist of characters
-No potions may be bought
-You may bring one regiment of renown per battle (they count as core if their regular version does)
-You mustn't drag out the match to try for a draw

*Use Captain Beans army builder here to check what counts as a core unit. You can ignore the special and rare categories as they don't apply in this tourny (aside from not counting as core).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit#gid=1255487703

Concurrent (congoonent) 2v2 Tournament #1 (cancelled)
This is a best out of three bracket eliminaton style with a loser bracket. Players can either sign up as a team, or sign up to a pool where I'll randomly assign two players to a team. Only sign up if your time schedule allows enough room for compromise to work things out between four players.

Same game settings and comp rules as above, except the first map played will be MP Crossroads.

1v1 Player List:
-Mukip http://steamcommunity.com/id/Muukip
-Yukitsu http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998439156
-brocretin http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198065275548
-ChickenWing
-JacksAngryBiome http://steamcommunity.com/id/jacksangrybiome
-Trujillo http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sammvt/
-SSJ_naruto_2003 http://steamcommunity.com/id/GreyPowerVan
-Nanomashoes
-Randarkman http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972214248

Mukip fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 18, 2016

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Gotrek is the best character in Warhammer anyways. Kind of a travesty that he isn't in the game yet.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Complete!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OVERALL WINNER AND WINNER OF THE MOST UNDERDOG FACTIONS - Vox Nihili

quote:

TOP 3 IN OVERALL WINS

1st Vox Nihili with 21 wins
2nd Muukip with 20 wins
3rd Yukitsu with 17 wins

Thanks to everyone who played, this generated a lot of really fun replays to watch! I know each tournament we have a number of players who are very new to multiplayer so I want to give a special thanks to everyone who tested out the online waters for the first time too.

Vox Nihili you can hit me up on steam to claim your choice of DLC prize.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I'll be signing up as a random pool 2v2er.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Mukip posted:

Signs up are open! You can post in this thread.

I'm up for the 1v1. I might do the 2v2 as well if anyone feels up for it but I'm pretty bad at 2v2s, most of the time team games make me really pissed off.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
It doesn't say Legendary Lord on that last FLC so it could just be a generic lord type

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Captain Beans posted:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Complete!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OVERALL WINNER AND WINNER OF THE MOST UNDERDOG FACTIONS - Vox Nihili

Let me just add my congrats here. We were all convinced Mukip had in the back, but the Voice slingshoted to the lead. Pretty impressive.

Also I'll be sticking out of this round of tourneys. I enjoyed the last ones I've played, but this end of semester is killing me.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Tardcore posted:

It doesn't say Legendary Lord on that last FLC so it could just be a generic lord type

Darren confirmed it was a Legendary Lord on Reddit.

Mukip posted:

Signs up are open! You can post in this thread.

1v1 Goon Tournament #3
This is a round robin setup where everybody plays a set against everybody else and your total number of wins are counted at the end. Additionally, if the two top-scoring players are within 3 points of each other at the end then they'll play a finals round (adding wins to total score as normal).

Game Settings:
-funds, unit size are set to large
-First map is Pfeildorf, loser picks map in subsequent rounds
-Three rounds played per set

Comp rules:
-25% of your army's cost must consist of "core" units*
-A maximum of 25% of your army's cost may consist of characters
-No potions may be bought
-You may bring one regiment of renown per battle (they count as core if their regular version does)
-You mustn't drag out the match to try for a draw

*Use Captain Beans army builder here to check what counts as a core unit. You can ignore the special and rare categories as they don't apply in this tourny (aside from not counting as core).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit#gid=1255487703

Concurrent (congoonent) 2v2 Tournament #1
This is a best out of three bracket eliminaton style with a loser bracket. Players can either sign up as a team, or sign up to a pool where I'll randomly assign two players to a team. Only sign up if your time schedule allows enough room for compromise to work things out between four players.

Same game settings and comp rules as above, except the first map played will be MP Crossroads.

I'm up for losing in 1v1. How are these things normally organized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
On Steam. Which reminds me, I better add that to the post.

• Locked thread