Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

...that's not the voting inspector...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hahahahaha oh me oh my, this is already my favorite election day

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Here in NH, my friend told me his company just offered any employee a half day if they voted for Trump.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know why Canada doesn't have these problems? Because we use loving pencil and paper. Why can't the US just do that and eliminate all this electronic voting nonsense that both sides get paranoid about?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Voted this morning in the hard fought battleground state of Minnesota for H-Rod/Timmy K. and a straight Democratic Farmer-Labor ticket.

Also voted yes on bonds for a new school, and to renovate the high school.

Basically no line at the polling place, just a dude in a wu-tang clan shirt who arrived ahead of me.

drat I voted today in a western suburb and there was a 45 minute line.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah but the UKIP got what it wanted before it collapsed

you can't compare a guy who wanted to get power winding up with literally no power with a thing actually happening just because it makes you feel better about your country. it's not like trump getting 40% of the vote gets him some sort of 40% presidential power. He gets nothing.

More than that the '40% of them support fascism!!' thing is really overblown when a presidential election isn't like a referendum. On a referendum you know exactly what you're voting for even if you aren't sure of the implications. In a presidential election you're voting for a person, whose policies you may or may not be aware of, and you may or may not be aware of the implications of those policies. I'm sure there are plenty of people voting trump who haven't paid attention to any election news and are just checking the box with an R next to it because that's what they've done for the past 60 years.

You also can't compare Brexit, as bad as it is, with the prospect of an actual fascist dictatorship. Brexit is the shame that 52% of the UK was revealed to be vaguely racist, but Trump is the shame that about 45% of the US will be revealed to be incredibly racist, and in fact actual fascists. Is that better?

And I can't really think of any better indication that someone's a fascist than if they vote for a fascist dictator to run the most powerful country in the world. Plenty of people (most?) just voted for Brexit without knowing what it really meant too, you know.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

PT6A posted:

You know why Canada doesn't have these problems? Because we use loving pencil and paper. Why can't the US just do that and eliminate all this electronic voting nonsense that both sides get paranoid about?

because our elections aren't nationalized and different polling places in the same town may have wildly different methods of voting.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

If that is all you care about then good.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

PT6A posted:

It varies by area. Mine was just pen, paper and a scanner here in Baltimore.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

They only get 3/5s of a sign.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

You also can't compare Brexit, as bad as it is, with the prospect of an actual fascist dictatorship. Brexit is the shame that 52% of the UK was revealed to be vaguely racist, but Trump is the shame that about 45% of the US will be revealed to be incredibly racist, and in fact actual fascists. Is that better?

And I can't really think of any better indication that someone's a fascist than if they vote for a fascist dictator to run the most powerful country in the world. Plenty of people (most?) just voted for Brexit without knowing what it really meant too, you know.

Yea, but he won't win. Tomorrow, Trump will be insignificant. He gets NOTHING, he LOSES!

GOOD DAY SIR!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Tim Whatley posted:

Here in NH, my friend told me his company just offered any employee a half day if they voted for Trump.

Sounds like a good deal. Vote HRC, get payed for a full day and then get nothing done as 40% of the workforce is gone.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mister Adequate posted:

Yo if anyone still can't bring themselves to vote for Abuela, this is an important point to keep in mind. If she wins, that means we get:

this alone makes voting for hillary totally worth it

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

WampaLord posted:

Vote for Murphy cause gently caress Rubio.

Totally on the "gently caress Rubio" train, thanks for the reminder!

Henker
May 5, 2009

I enjoy this one a lot because he's this close to getting it.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

PT6A posted:

we also have what? 260 million more people than you?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chin Strap posted:

They only get 3/5s of a sign.

:eyepop:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Man what's the deal with the final Reuters poll anyways? Its prob not worth worrying about that's a lovely outlier to go out on.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Sky Shadowing posted:

As a fellow Michigander, might I inquire as to the town?

This sounds dumb as gently caress and I hope it isn't near me or my hometown.

But yeah, loving report this poo poo.

One of Flint's suburbs.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I hate Brexit as much as anyone, I was so upset when the referendum happened, and I'm still ashamed about it. But the US doesn't get to be smug about it because even the prospect that Trump could get elected is like 200 gigabrexits. Don't go pointing fingers about falling into fascism when today approx 40% of the US electorate will vote to elect an actual, factual, fascist, white supremacist dictator into power. That's not something that is in danger of happening in the UK any time soon, remember, UKIP got no MPs at the last election, and right now is collapsing.

I do wonder if that's not partly a function of their podunk game show political system rather than a real difference in sentiment though.

Trump could never get elected in Britain but... Nigel Farage vs. generic Labour establishment Hillary equivalent in an American style one on one - who wins? I know for a fact he beats Corbyn.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

PT6A posted:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Tim Whatley posted:

Take it and secretly vote HRC.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jack Del Huevos posted:

we also have what? 260 million more people than you?

And you could have correspondingly more people counting the ballots, so that everything would be wrapped up at the same time!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Henker posted:

I enjoy this one a lot because he's this close to getting it.

I enjoy it because he's somehow managed to turn his political opinions into a nice guy syndrome which I wouldn't have thought was possible but here we are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yes, because the fascist thing isn't happening.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

One of Flint's suburbs.
Oh poo poo where? Clio? (its Clio, isnt it. I would also expect Grand Blanc).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

Don't be so sure brexit will happen, after the recent court case.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Endorph posted:

yeah but the UKIP got what it wanted before it collapsed

you can't compare a guy who wanted to get power winding up with literally no power with a thing actually happening just because it makes you feel better about your country. it's not like trump getting 40% of the vote gets him some sort of 40% presidential power. He gets nothing.

More than that the '40% of them support fascism!!' thing is really overblown when a presidential election isn't like a referendum. On a referendum you know exactly what you're voting for even if you aren't sure of the implications. In a presidential election you're voting for a person, whose policies you may or may not be aware of, and you may or may not be aware of the implications of those policies. I'm sure there are plenty of people voting trump who haven't paid attention to any election news and are just checking the box with an R next to it because that's what they've done for the past 60 years.

Yo the 40% or so of the Weimar Republic that literally voted Hitler into power mostly didn't know the details of his policies either. Nor did most of the people who voted for Brexit know exactly what they were voting for beyond 'grrr chuck out all the Poles', I mean we get gobshites thinking not only that we left the day after the referendum but that everyone already here was going to be forced to leave.

'Hey guy it's all fine only literally nearly half the country is willing to vote for this madman' is not as comforting as you think it is. What if it's 51% in 2020 and the next candidate is either Trump again or someone even worse?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

It's amazing how people don't grasp that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/anupkaphle/status/796020757965000705

They are being so mean :comeback:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think they're saying "booo-ild the wall"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

feedmegin posted:

Yo the 40% or so of the Weimar Republic that literally voted Hitler into power mostly didn't know the details of his policies either.

It's a real shame that you only need 40% of the vote to win an election in the US.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

PT6A posted:

And you could have correspondingly more people counting the ballots, so that everything would be wrapped up at the same time!

yeah but :effort:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Yo if anyone still can't bring themselves to vote for Abuela, this is an important point to keep in mind. If she wins, that means we get:

Anything that gets us more George Wood reviews.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

it was an incredibly short sighted gently caress up and all the hand-wringing in the world about how, no no you see its different because [x], wont change that

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Just voted straight D in NH!

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Oracle posted:

Oh poo poo where? Clio? (its Clio, isnt it. I would also expect Grand Blanc).

Nah. Swartz Creek. Still super white and full of surprising amounts of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

computer parts posted:

It's a real shame that you only need 40% of the vote to win an election in the US.

Not even that. US turnout is so poo poo that 30% is usually more than enough.

• Locked thread