Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Very true. Most of the Plots in the deck would be standard, but there's plenty of room for your own personal pet Plot as most games shouldn't go to round 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like Lanni/Stark beat Targ Fealty to win worlds. I haven't had a chance to look at the stream to see the decks yet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Looks like Lanni/Stark beat Targ Fealty to win worlds. I haven't had a chance to look at the stream to see the decks yet.

My first thought was, "I'm glad I built a Targaryen Fealty deck yesterday before the cards shot up in price!"

LCGs are a neat concept.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bottom Liner posted:

Compared to most other competitive card games, it absolutely is. Most deck lists are so standardized that you will see zero variation in a lot of games. That's one of my favorite things about this game actually. The deck building space seems much wider than other games.

I'm not sure that's true. I'd also say that other games aren't nearly as strict in their initial deckbuilding so there's more natural variety. Like in M:tG, I don't need to pick a certain agenda to have red and blue cards in my deck, nor does having red and blue cards in my deck exclude white/black/green cards. Also in M:tG, tons of well-known decks have huge variety in certain card choices that can be made based on how you want it to run, metagame concerns, or whatever else. That's why I don't really see agenda swapping as providing any variety if the actual factions that are competitive are limited-saying there's variety because there's 10 different lannister decks you can play isn't very indicative of a varied metagame.

I don't think it's necessarily a huge problem, and I think Valar may fix a lot of things (or at least we need to wait until it's been out for a bit). I just think it's something that needs to be watched going forward.

Also, it's good to be talking GoT again in any context. Feels like people have been waiting for the remaining chapter packs from the second set and the Lanni box for a year now...

BJPaskoff posted:

My first thought was, "I'm glad I built a Targaryen Fealty deck yesterday before the cards shot up in price!"

LCGs are a neat concept.

That's a HUGE advantage, for sure. FFG has really done well with all their LCGs imo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's why I hate FFG's previews coming like 6 months or more before release date, it constantly puts the focus on the future of their games instead of the current state.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ran a Lannister Crossing Clansmen deck tonight at a small local tournament. Not only did I come out with a winning record (rare), but I won the whole thing. I've never won a tournament before.

General thoughts:
-Moon Brothers are really good. Almost disgustingly good.
-This deck doesn't need all that much money since you can just dump in dudes for free or cheap all the time.
-First Snow is this deck's best friend. It returns all your ambusher dudes to hand.
-Pulling your big guys into play with events or Harrenhal can produce huge swings. I dumped in Gregor one turn, triggered PTTS off his military challenge, claimed another, then got a kill off his Pillage, nearly emptying their board. Then I even got a power on Joff when he died from Harrenhal.
-Joffrey can amass a surprising amount of power if you're using Harrenhal.

General Strategy:
-Ideally you get a good icon spread at setup, but mulligan in the rare case you don't see at least one thing that lets you dump in characters for free. You want a solid core of characters on the board that you can then augment from your hand on the fly.
-Don't be afraid to First Snow if you'll get even the slightest board advantage out of it. I used it on turn one tonight, twice.
-Tyrion is the only character you really care about. Most unique characters are singletons; kill is the same as discard. You don't risk dead draws if someone dies.
-Don't be afraid to play defensively and skip a challenge.
-Use Building Orders to react to your hand. If you get lots of clansmen, go fishing for Mountains of the Moon. If you have lots of expensive guys, you want Harrenhal.
-Your only real card draw comes from Tyrion. Try to win those Intrigue challenges.

quote:

House Lannister
The Lord of the Crossing

Packs: From Core Set (3) to True Steel

Plots
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Building Orders (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x The First Snow of Winter (No Middle Ground)
1x Littlefinger's Meddling (Lions of Casterly Rock)

Characters
1x Littlefinger (Core Set)
1x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
1x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
1x Joffrey Baratheon (Core Set)
1x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
3x Burned Men (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
2x The Hound (Taking the Black)
1x Ser Gregor Clegane (The King's Peace)
1x Ser Ilyn Payne (True Steel)
1x Crossroads Sellsword (Wolves of the North)
1x Shae (Called to Arms)
1x Ser Amory Lorch (For Family Honor)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Lions of Casterly Rock)
1x Ser Kevan Lannister (Lions of Casterly Rock)
2x Timett Son of Timett (Lions of Casterly Rock)
2x Chella Daughter of Cheyk (Lions of Casterly Rock)
2x Shagga Son of Dolf (Lions of Casterly Rock)
3x Moon Brothers (Lions of Casterly Rock)
1x Alayaya (Lions of Casterly Rock)

Locations
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
1x Lannisport (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)
1x Tower of the Hand (Wolves of the North)
2x Harrenhal (For Family Honor)
2x Mountains of the Moon (Lions of Casterly Rock)

Attachment
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Events
2x Put to the Sword (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x Hear Me Roar! (Core Set)
2x Treachery (Core Set)
2x I Never Bet Against My Family (The King's Peace)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

LOTR Fellowship is next week btw.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
So, I've played more Arkham Horror LCG. I was initially really mixed to negative about it, but after some more plays I've really come around.

The second and third scenarios have A LOT more going on in terms of mechanics. Also, I feel you have to look at the game through a more RPG lens. There's not really hard win/loss states like LOTR. There's varying degrees of success that influence the overall campaign and it took me a while to stop thinking about the game in terms of needing to win/not lose.

And, as someone who enjoys when mechanics and flavor match up this game this game is a loving home run. It really captures the established flavor of the Arkham setting and has appropriate mechanics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looking at the card pool for Arkham how much time do you spend 'clicking for credits' because it didn't look like economies were that strong?

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Not that much really. I may have done it in my first couple games because I didn't know what else to do.

I don't recall supplies being an issue. Most of the cards are fairly cheap and the ones that cost 2-3 supplies are usually assets that have repeatable effects that may or may not cost supplies. A lot of them take an action to activate repeatable effects from.

The biggest tax on your actions is that everyone should be investigating at least once on their turn to try and keep up with the enemy agenda deck. Things can get pretty hairy pretty quickly.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

That's why I hate FFG's previews coming like 6 months or more before release date, it constantly puts the focus on the future of their games instead of the current state.

loving agreed

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, I have preordered the dumb Arkham game, and I'm entitled to play it. it's not my fault my country is drat slow with translation. Why isn't the game on OCTGN, TTS or Vassal, damnit :argh:

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, I have preordered the dumb Arkham game, and I'm entitled to play it. it's not my fault my country is drat slow with translation. Why isn't the game on OCTGN, TTS or Vassal, damnit :argh:

It has been on TTS for a few weeks?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=781350765&searchtext=

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do we have a date other than November for Arkham at this point?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Do we have a date other than November for Arkham at this point?

The 10th is the date being tossed around at the Covenant store in Tulsa

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I kinda legitimately wish they would just release the cycles as box sets every half year or whenever instead of doing it monthly. It's just such a hassle to fiddle with decks every month or so to add like 1-2 cards at most, although when I get a full cycle I can see all the themes represented (or not) and actually build around them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The only problem I have with the pack system is their inconsistent shipping. Sometimes we get packs 2 weeks from one another and other times it's 5-6 weeks between packs. We also didn't even get any summer kits this year, because "oops we forgot to send them!"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

The only problem I have with the pack system is their inconsistent shipping. Sometimes we get packs 2 weeks from one another and other times it's 5-6 weeks between packs. We also didn't even get any summer kits this year, because "oops we forgot to send them!"

Yeah supposedly I had heard that the Asmodee merger would help with that, but I've not noticed it being much better. I'm not even sure what's been the recent delay-they didn't have any big Gencon release, Arkham Horror still isn't out, and I don't think any of the other LCGs has had a big release recently (although I'll admit I could be wrong).

Anyone know how their new Star Wars collectible card game is doing? Maybe that's why everything else has seemed so stalled.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

alansmithee posted:

Yeah supposedly I had heard that the Asmodee merger would help with that, but I've not noticed it being much better. I'm not even sure what's been the recent delay-they didn't have any big Gencon release, Arkham Horror still isn't out, and I don't think any of the other LCGs has had a big release recently (although I'll admit I could be wrong).

Anyone know how their new Star Wars collectible card game is doing? Maybe that's why everything else has seemed so stalled.

It's not out yet, but the buzz is huge.

In preparation, Asmodee/FFG are allowing retailers to start carrying singles/used products again.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The preview for the next Arkham Mythos Pack, Essex County Express, has me pretty excited. I really like the scenario they've outlined, and some of the cards are flavor home runs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I was getting only Arkham Horror boardgame results.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
How's the situation with amount of Arkham cores to buy?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

2 will get you a playset of everything. They say 1 core is enough for 1-2 players, 2 is necessary for 3-4.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Each investigator has 2 classes (out of 5) and can build their deck using cards from their classes plus neutral cards, with 2 copies of each max. The Core comes with 1 copy of each class card and 2 to 4 copies of each neutral card.

Odds are you want a second core. For example, the Seeker class has free (both resources and actions) card draw.I can't see any reason not to include two copies of this card.

EDIT: The illustration for Baseball Bat is awesome.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 5, 2016

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: The illustration for Baseball Bat is awesome.

Talk about sanity shattering

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So after playing a bunch, Targaryens are definitely my faction. I like killing my opponent's characters in a war of attrition until they can't possibly come back. Dracarys is a great event, and last night gave me great respect for the Blood of the Dragon plot. Am I right that applies for the entire turn, so even if someone marshals a character during the marshaling phase, the character dies?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah. Blood of the Dragon kills chuds dead. It's also really strong against Crossing decks, becuase characters are at -1 STR during the first challenge, which stacks and makes even strong characters vulnerable to Dracarys.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with Targ now with this list. Being able to recur your characters while wiping their board is really strong, and you have fun combos like Waking the Dragon to wipe counters on Ser Jorah or for attachment removal with Viserys.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/6408/targaryen-summer-dutch-national-champion-2016-1.0

Some of the worlds decks are popping up now as well. This is really close to my Lannister/KoW deck, only some differences in events.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/6789/lannister-kow-worlds-top-16-1.0

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with Targ now with this list. Being able to recur your characters while wiping their board is really strong, and you have fun combos like Waking the Dragon to wipe counters on Ser Jorah or for attachment removal with Viserys.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/6408/targaryen-summer-dutch-national-champion-2016-1.0

Some of the worlds decks are popping up now as well. This is really close to my Lannister/KoW deck, only some differences in events.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/6789/lannister-kow-worlds-top-16-1.0

I based my Targ deck off of that one with some minor changes that I can't remember because I'm on line to vote (Targaryen 2016!) but I know I'm playing Tourney Grounds. It's great for bluffing Dracarys with zero gold, and I kept missing with Shadowblack Lane. I've activated the Lane four times and haven't hit once.

Another rules question - if a character with a dupe dies and can't be saved, what happens to the duplicate? Does it go in the discard or dead pile?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
So it seems like Arkham Horror lcg is sold out everywhere. Even my local game shop can only get it hands on 2 or 3 copies. Either it's a super success or they just went with a low print run.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

frgildan posted:

So it seems like Arkham Horror lcg is sold out everywhere. Even my local game shop can only get it hands on 2 or 3 copies. Either it's a super success or they just went with a low print run.

Yeah I waited too long to pull the trigger on pre-ordering. :( Luckily I know of a small board game shop around here that's supposedly saving me a copy on release day... not that anyone's sure when that is yet. They said the 10th, but they're not sure.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I just sent the local comic shop a message on facebook and they're holding a copy for me on Thursday.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

BJPaskoff posted:

Another rules question - if a character with a dupe dies and can't be saved, what happens to the duplicate? Does it go in the discard or dead pile?

The dupe goes to the discard pile.

I'm hopefully getting a friendly game or two in tonight for the first time in a couple weeks due to travel. I'm trying a Stark : Lord of the Crossing deck, built around the Tully suite. Fast Eddard is bonkers, as is Blackfish, and there's plenty of ways to empower him early, provided I have him. Should be interesting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

frgildan posted:

Their Lovecraft stuff has always been super popular, and the LCGs have been getting better and better. It hits both the "normies" who want to get their Cthulhu on and the more hardcore people who like to optimize. Also I think their LCGs also typically sell out, since I imagine they just want to push some product out the door, so they do whatever their economy of scale print run is and go with it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My LGS got 2 copies of CoC between their 2 stores, so I went ahead and grabbed them both. Haven't had time to play yet, but even a cursory glance at this is awesome. Someone said above that the design and card back art is impressive, and I'll second that. I absolutely want clear sleeves for this. I'll report back once I can actually play a bit.

EDIT Arkham Horror LCG, not CoC. Duh.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 10, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Do you mean Arkham Horror? That's the new one coming out tomorrow.

There is an old Call of Cthluhu card game, but I'm pretty sure it's not actively developed anymore.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you mean Arkham Horror? That's the new one coming out tomorrow.

There is an old Call of Cthluhu card game, but I'm pretty sure it's not actively developed anymore.

Herp is the new Derp apparently. Yes, Arkham Horror LCG.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FLGS has two cores waiting for me at 11. Worked from home today so I can play a solitaire game :cheers:

Been waiting for this game for awhile, we love Elder Sign in my house so this will be another perfect one.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I read the start to play book and parts of the rulebook, there are some things they borrowed from LOTR but overall the timing aspect seems less complex. Could be that the actual card rules text adds some more complexity again like in LOTR though, haven't checked that out yet. Is there a card db somewhere?

I still wish they would stop using the term 'triggered ability' for what is known in MtG as an activated ability as this is very confusing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

theroachman posted:

Is there a card db somewhere?

Yes.