Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Saaaaame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, the Volca Sample and SQ-1 seem to have a problem with crosstalk on the sync input from the audio out. If the audio gets too high, the unit can retrigger itself, often rolling 3-4 steps at a time. Seems to happen more with high frequency than low, I can force the sync issue on and off with the Analogue Isolator.

It happens to the SQ-1 when it's the timing slave, and it happens to the Volca Sample when the SQ-1 masters.

Also, I learned that the CV input on the KARP Odyssey is a TRS connector that allows for semi-independent oscillator control. One channel sets the main pitch, the other sets the offset for oscillator 2. Found this by accident using a TRS to dual-TS cable, although I probably just overlooked that section in the documentation.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Worked a lot of overtime the past few weeks so I decided to pick up a few things to go along with my first synth purchase from a couple months ago (Korg Minilogue)

Grabbed a Volca Kick, Volca Bass, and a Behringer Tube Overdrive to push either or into a nice farty buzz.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

Photex posted:

Behringer Tube Overdrive

...the tiny purple stompbox? because i'm still not convinced it actually does any overdrive since i got one for a fiver from a bin full of the things in some store

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hug a mexican posted:

...the tiny purple stompbox? because i'm still not convinced it actually does any overdrive since i got one for a fiver from a bin full of the things in some store

I read this as tiny purple fartbox.

Also, mods name change to tiny purple fartbox tia.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

Also, I learned that the CV input on the KARP Odyssey is a TRS connector that allows for semi-independent oscillator control. One channel sets the main pitch, the other sets the offset for oscillator 2. Found this by accident using a TRS to dual-TS cable, although I probably just overlooked that section in the documentation.

On the KB model or the module?

People had been saying the duophony was through the onboard keyboard only but the material for the module claimed it was duophonic too... which had people scratching their heads on Muffs and mailing lists.

Either one would be cool, afaik this isn't a widely known feature.

e: wondering if the gate works the same way...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

hug a mexican posted:

No no not that one, the VT 999 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...1JUcaApfM8P8HAQ

But yes thread should be tiny purple fart box

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

Photex posted:

No no not that one, the VT 999 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...1JUcaApfM8P8HAQ

But yes thread should be tiny purple fart box

Ah, thought there was something wrong with you for a second. i don't mean to bash behringer pedals in their entirety but basically every distortion they've made in the tiny plastic format has been various sorts of garbage, moreso than any boss offering with "metal" in the name
hope the vt thing does you good, a friend of mine had a vintage time machine in the same format and it was p neat for the price

also thirding Synths & Synthesis: tiny purple fart box

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

hug a mexican posted:

Ah, thought there was something wrong with you for a second. i don't mean to bash behringer pedals in their entirety but basically every distortion they've made in the tiny plastic format has been various sorts of garbage, moreso than any boss offering with "metal" in the name
hope the vt thing does you good, a friend of mine had a vintage time machine in the same format and it was p neat for the price

Yeah there are a few demos out there running volcas through it I'm mostly going to use it on the Kick I think

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

On the KB model or the module?

People had been saying the duophony was through the onboard keyboard only but the material for the module claimed it was duophonic too... which had people scratching their heads on Muffs and mailing lists.

Either one would be cool, afaik this isn't a widely known feature.

e: wondering if the gate works the same way...

This is the KB model. I just confirmed that behaviour was as described before: one channel has the main pitch, one channel has the oscillator 2 offset. Makes for some cool polyrhythmic stuff using both channels of the SQ-1.

I can't imagine that there would be a TRS on the gate; there's only one gate in the architecture.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Oh yeah, that would make sense... (can you tell I've spent a grand total of 10 minutes with one in person?) Still, very cool... I've been waffling on one since they previewed the module.

Speaking of Waffling... has this been posted here?

and

Seems like a VERY good year for vocoding.

e: not leeching images!

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 7, 2016

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell I'm all for a wavetable-based Volca, but there's no way that joystick is going to be durable.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Dope. I got the Volca Sample a few weeks ago and its a lot of fun. Will definitely be looking at these when there's more information available.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
aren't those most probably fake tho

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
yeah, those volca's are fake since they were speculated about for the november 1 release that turned into the monologue

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Eurochat: added Akemie's Castle, Rossum Electro-Music Evolution, and Braids to the rig. Now focused on modulation sources. Then done?

Lol hail satan

:homebrew:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hug a mexican posted:

aren't those most probably fake tho

Undoubtedly. Look at the MIDI ports.

Also that analogue gauge on the "VC-1" is impossible.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Undoubtedly. Look at the MIDI ports.

Also that analogue gauge on the "VC-1" is impossible.

I was gonna say, a ballistic meter on a $150 vocoder of that size is a straight-up impossibility. That said I'd love to see a wavetable Volca. I've really wanted to get into wavetable synthesis but never really came across anything that appealing to me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

Eurochat: added Akemie's Castle, Rossum Electro-Music Evolution, and Braids to the rig. Now focused on modulation sources. Then done?

Lol hail satan

:homebrew:

I have like 12 or 18hp of 1U tiles left to fill my cases and don't really have a strong candidate for them. But I want to finish them. Hm.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Done
/dən/

1: A word used by Eurorack people to say they won't buy a module for about a month or two
2: A filthy lie by Eurorack people to say they've got a complete system

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
My racks are full and I haven't bought a module in months and I feel fantastic

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I've outgrown my current eurorack suitcase and am planning out a 104hp 13U case. Just by adding modules that I have PCBs on order for, I've already filled it up. So much for my wallet.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

That is a glorious feeling. I rode the full rack for a while myself.

For me the only stuff I'm really hunting for is some oscillators/sound generators that are truly different than what I have; I've given up on trying to create yet another simultaneous voice to jam with and would rather use my modular for one or two interesting synth sounds I can work into a track with other things. Only thing I've bought in about eight months is a VCF for a more overdriven sound than the other one I have. Maybe when black friday rolls around I'll look for an oscillator but right now the music answer for me is having a wide variety of maybe 2-3 sounds at once, not trying to have eight different synth voices in modular going at the same time. I was going that way, then I realized I was constructing the world most expensive groove box with no ability to save.

breaks
May 12, 2001

So I'm replacing some wavetables in my shapeshifter and I was going to but some of the galbanum waveforms in there. But they are 2048 samples and the SS wants 512. Any of you guys know what the best practice would be for converting them?

Also if anyone knows of some good software for making 512 sample waves for wavetables, that would be awesome too. I tried audioterm but I don't know if I can put up with that interface.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

Startyde posted:

yeah but

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

hug a mexican posted:

i [url=https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2383436#2383436]just posted on muffs about recording farts with ears[, turns out when you have enough patch cables blowing in the wind the mic under the panel can hear em!

Startyde posted:

my elite 208 is full and my cell 90 is empty -- i hit blackjack with the 21 modules in my 6U; i kept a close watch on current and the only thing i need to buy now is a battery so i can play outside

and if anybody needs a case, pm about a sell for the cell

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

stillvisions posted:

Done
/dən/

1: A word used by Eurorack people to say they won't buy a module for about a month or two
2: A filthy lie by Eurorack people to say they've got a complete system

i dont have a system, i have an instrument :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of wavetables, I've always loved the ones that are bizarre (aka. not simple wave morphs or similar), ones that sound really disjointed and digital. Anyone got an idea where I could get that sort of sound? I've got a beautiful goon-bought Blofeld so I'm both interested in importable wavetables and also VSTs, since I honestly spend 90% of my time just using my computer. :v:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Anyone here done any video synthesis?
I'm just getting into this whole synth thing, and barely understand the essentials of synthesis, but I find it super fascinating! Put together a Gieskes' 3trinsrgb+1c video synth a couple months ago and just put together one of Reverse landfill's 3x comparator plugins for it. Also bought a Microbrute to use for modulation. I'm thinking of expanding by adding a BPMC Fluxus or a BPMC premium cable to my setup. LZX modules look incredibly cool, but I can't really afford/justify getting into a big, complicated and expensive eurorack project (yet..........).

Did a small testrun with the comparator and the 3trins last night, but didn't record the sound. It really makes some cool colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7wvsFzvLIY

e: Also, apologies for the awful quality, I haven't really got a proper capture card solution.

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 9, 2016

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Anyone here done any video synthesis?
I'm just getting into this whole synth thing, and barely understand the essentials of synthesis, but I find it super fascinating! Put together a Gieskes' 3trinsrgb+1c video synth a couple months ago and just put together one of Reverse landfill's 3x comparator plugins for it. Also bought a Microbrute to use for modulation. I'm thinking of expanding by adding a BPMC Fluxus or a BPMC premium cable to my setup. LZX modules look incredibly cool, but I can't really afford/justify getting into a big, complicated and expensive eurorack project (yet..........).

Did a small testrun with the comparator and the 3trins last night, but didn't record the sound. It really makes some cool colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7wvsFzvLIY

e: Also, apologies for the awful quality, I haven't really got a proper capture card solution.

I've been interested in video synthesis, but compatibility issues between things like the LZX and Special Stage Systems stuff kind of threw me off, plus the price. The less expensive stuff, like the Critter and Guitari scope series, is underwhelming.

Your video is great!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Chainclaw posted:

I've been interested in video synthesis, but compatibility issues between things like the LZX and Special Stage Systems stuff kind of threw me off, plus the price. The less expensive stuff, like the Critter and Guitari scope series, is underwhelming.

Your video is great!
Thanks!

I've been looking at the critter and guitari stuff to add some audio reactive pattern generation. However, they're NTSC only, and, as I haven't got a video mixer, my only way of running it at the same time as the 3trins would be to run it through the 3trinsrgb. I'm unsure if any interesting visuals would come out of that...

I actually bought a LZX bitvision (another cheap standalone thing) a while ago for the same purpose, but I never received the shipment and it was apparently sent using uninsured snail mail :(

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
got a volca fm for $100 and it's the tits, time to start bringing that to band practice instead of my Actual Bass and annoy everyone to death with cheesy 80s bass sounds and metallic screes. chaos reigns

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just got my Volca Bass in and annoyed the wife with bedroom beep boops

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm... completely out of new gear I want to buy :eek: I just don't have room for it all anymore.

Maybe some new furniture I guess? I don't know.

Eventually I may start a new Eurorack skiff, but the space for that was largely taken up by an 0-Coast last week.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hug a mexican posted:

got a volca fm for $100 and it's the tits, time to start bringing that to band practice instead of my Actual Bass and annoy everyone to death with cheesy 80s bass sounds and metallic screes. chaos reigns

FM is really my favourite synthesis method for the raucous metallic sounds and ultimate cheese it produces. Instantly recognizable, I constantly annoy my wife by identifying it everywhere, and I love that it's making a come-back.

B.A. Johnston has some old Yamaha home keyboard or something with a Yamaha OPL chip in it and I love him for using it on actual recordings. Listen to Pay Me In Stolen Treasure for an example.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Got a Minilogue currently waiting for me in a box on my porch. Just gotta get home.

Between working like 90 hours over the last 4 days to get First Quarter grades ready for report cards this morning and processing the 'darkest timeline' outcome of the election with my 85%+ Salvadoran seventh graders, that new Korg smell and a three-day weekend can't come soon enough....

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I like the volca but...why A to C...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Got a Minilogue currently waiting for me in a box on my porch. Just gotta get home.

Between working like 90 hours over the last 4 days to get First Quarter grades ready for report cards this morning and processing the 'darkest timeline' outcome of the election with my 85%+ Salvadoran seventh graders, that new Korg smell and a three-day weekend can't come soon enough....

C'est si bon. :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm going to need a bigger place..so I can get a bigger desk...so I can have more poo poo. :911:: the american dream.