Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Congratulations! Collect your reward! :buddy:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I gained the experience of watching a man die.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

He had already been dead since long before you arrived. That's just how deep and mature gaming is now. Makes you think.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

“People seem to think I need this person in my life for some reason,” he said in an update to Reddit users. “Truthfully I dont.

I love it when an article comes with its own sour grapes so I don't have to chase them down

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Wildtortilla posted:

I deleted polygon from my Feedly feed yesterday. Seems like I had good timing.

I've resorted to just following the McElroys and Nick Robinson, which makes sure that I only get links to the Good Stuff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

CJacobs posted:

It might be a weird way of saying "we got to know each other", I guess?

Meanwhile, in first-time game dev land:

http://puu.sh/sb1FC/49d50aa844.webm

I made skeletons. The player can beat up the skeletons.
Skeletons are my favorite fantasy game enemy.

Thank you for making yet another fantasy game where I can beat up skeletons.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hurray for skeleton!, therefore skeleton ahead

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I waste thousands of hours of my life playing video games but feel zero need to read video game news sites

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Hurray for skeleton!, therefore skeleton ahead

I love stuff like that. "Don't give up, skeleton!"

So, because I'm such a sucker for that, I went over and looked at a message by a skeleton in DS2 last night. I said simply "skeleton".

Fuckin lol. Take your upvote.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Polygon sucks cause they want to tell you more about how a game makes you feel than about how the game feels to play

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Besides "don't give up, skeleton", my favorite DS2 message is "horse?" next to any creature that isn't a horse. No, message, that is not a horse, but points for trying anyway.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I still like the usage of "Beanpole?" next to one of the lifts in Orn+Smo's room

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Besides "don't give up, skeleton", my favorite DS2 message is "horse?" next to any creature that isn't a horse. No, message, that is not a horse, but points for trying anyway.

I just found one of those in the Majula mansion, where the pigs outside really do sound like a horse. I wanted to put "pigs ahead, therefor liar ahead" in front of it, but of course there is no "pig" in the word bank.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tempura Wizard posted:

I've resorted to just following the McElroys and Nick Robinson, which makes sure that I only get links to the Good Stuff.

Polygon is unfortunate because for the longest time they were actually making plenty of good original content with the McElroy bros and Nick Robinson and actual unedited footage of games, they just happened to come out at a time when hating games journalists was never more popular or fashionable and they committed the mortal sin of not hating the Xbox One enough at launch. So now they're another crappy Kotaku-esque pop culture/lifestyle blog in the name of driving clicks and Car Boys and Monster Factory are buried in a sea of "hey, remember [pop culture object]???" clickbait videos.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Every time I load up the original Final Fantasy on an emulator, I accidentally load an edited ROM in which the only change, as far as I can tell, is that the "Nothing here" message has been changed to read "No poo poo."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Every time I load up the original Final Fantasy on an emulator, I accidentally load an edited ROM in which the only change, as far as I can tell, is that the "Nothing here" message has been changed to read "No poo poo."

That's loving hilarious.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Adding gestures with messages is the best thing and now I'm all about the but hole messages to be of a person gesturing their finger into some corpse rear end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I have to assume that there are other edits, but every time I find the "No poo poo" message, I just switch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, if nothing else, so far the first hour of Mafia 3 is better at world and tone setting than any of the GTA games

Also seriously holy poo poo at the soundtrack and atmosphere driving around town

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I liked the mafia 3 atmosphere when I first started playing it but after so many hours the weather effects went insane and it alternates between extremely bright sun showers and ghostly illuminated plants everywhere

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I still like the usage of "Beanpole?" next to one of the lifts in Orn+Smo's room

Beanpole ahead, therefore Be wary of fatty

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Every game should have Dark Souls messages.

Or stuff like Mario Maker where you could put a Miiverse post on parts of the stage.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also Shadow Complex is a buck, you should buy it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/unreal-engine-bundle

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

and also Dangerous Golf?!

I didn't even know it was out and its already a dollar

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

tap my mountain posted:

Polygon sucks cause they want to tell you more about how a game makes you feel than about how the game feels to play

I like "how video games get made" articles more than anything (both as a programmer and from a "how it's made" standpoint) but I like fun player reaction articles like RPS does. It's really easy to skip over "some sad guy did something video game-related that no one cares about" news articles rather than getting all upset about them and sending them to everyone you know.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

give your money and time to danny o'dwyer's Noclip doc show instead of the dumb fucks at Polygon. He did Rocket League/Psyonix already and his next one is on DOOM 2016's development

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

hbomb is real great to put on when i make dinner.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

precision posted:

Well, if nothing else, so far the first hour of Mafia 3 is better at world and tone setting than any of the GTA games

Also seriously holy poo poo at the soundtrack and atmosphere driving around town
I really liked it at that moment too but it really goes downhill when the game opens up. It just makes you do a lot of samey repetitive things to push the story forward and you'll start wishing it was GTA. It's really lazy about padding, side content is non-existent or bad, 2k hosed it up. The soundtrack is amazing throughout though, as well as the setting and even the collectibles - that's something that won't change.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

give your money and time to danny o'dwyer's Noclip doc show instead of the dumb fucks at Polygon. He did Rocket League/Psyonix already and his next one is on DOOM 2016's development

This was a really neat article that Polygon did on XCOM, though it's less technical and more about Solomon's experience. I'm sorry I enjoy articles on a website people don't like.

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

hbomb is real great to put on when i make dinner.

New hbomb hell yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bloodychill posted:

I like "how video games get made" articles more than anything (both as a programmer and from a "how it's made" standpoint)

How it's made, you say?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

I want Spelunky on 3DS real bad.
This would be amazing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

I really liked it at that moment too but it really goes downhill when the game opens up. It just makes you do a lot of samey repetitive things to push the story forward and you'll start wishing it was GTA. It's really lazy about padding, side content is non-existent or bad, 2k hosed it up. The soundtrack is amazing throughout though, as well as the setting and even the collectibles - that's something that won't change.

There's a spotify playlist for the OST.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Yeeeesssss

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm going to bring up Dead Rising 3 again, and Dead Rising in general. That series honestly deserves to be congratulated for its portrayal of older people and aging characters. Characters ALWAYS look natural when they're older, and aged characters look really good. It looks right, and they sound and act right for being older. That's one of the big things that DR4 fucks up that is really unfortunate, because it's been one of the things that Dead Rising has done so well.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Lizard Wizard posted:

:same:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

I'm going to bring up Dead Rising 3 again, and Dead Rising in general. That series honestly deserves to be congratulated for its portrayal of older people and aging characters. Characters ALWAYS look natural when they're older, and aged characters look really good. It looks right, and they sound and act right for being older. That's one of the big things that DR4 fucks up that is really unfortunate, because it's been one of the things that Dead Rising has done so well.

Frank really does look like a dude going through a mid-life crisis in Dead Rising 2 OTR.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
H e l l o games chat thread

How is everybody doing today?

I had an ok day. Voted, went to eat n park for the breakfast buffet, didn't have any nightmares last night which is good since yesterday I was having like nothing *but* nightmares so the day is pretty chill now.

I'm gonna see if steamgifts has the killing floor community packs up as giveaways because I wanna see if I can win them >:] I've been wanting those for a long time, if only for that flare revolver because firebug was a lot of fun in killing floor and flare revolver would give me a good reason to go back to it imo.

So anyways yeah how is everybody?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm fantastic! I voted, did a test for my class and I feel confident about my grade, and now I'm cheerfully waiting for election results by playing Broforce, KeeperRL, and contemplating picking up LiEat and the dollar tier of that new humble bundle.

I'm thinking I'll treat myself to more games once I'm sure Hilldawg is going to win! :D

edit:

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/796143681074036736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

H e l l o games chat thread

How is everybody doing today?

Hello. I'm doing alright, I got a dialogue system working in my game without looking up any tutorials or whathaveyou, which was a nice surprise.

Now I can make NPCs be as rude to the player as I want. See also: the beating up skeletons post on the last page.

• Locked thread