Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slickdrac posted:

22 by my count in the last 50 years in the top 3 series

+3 crewmen

From wiki, Cup only

Fatalities by decade
Decade Fatalities
1940s 0
1950s 7
1960s 7
1970s 4
1980s 5
1990s 3
2000s 2
2010s 0
Total 28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The answer is clear: go back to what they were doing in the 40s

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
^^^Only existing for the last 2 years of each decade?

VikingSkull posted:

From wiki, Cup only

Fatalities by decade
Decade Fatalities
1940s 0
1950s 7
1960s 7
1970s 4
1980s 5
1990s 3
2000s 2
2010s 0
Total 28

Yep. Weekly reminder that 50 years ago is actually 1965/66 and we're old now.

Indycar is where the real brutal numbers are for a top tier series though. Somehow, despite being projectiles that can hit walls and fences with the force of a loaded semi truck (I can't remember the exact measurement of force, but I remember having to calculate it several times because the result was IMMENSE), NASCAR is far safer for everyone than open wheel.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 7, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slickdrac posted:

^^^Only existing for the last 2 years of each decade?

Yep. Weekly reminder that 50 years ago is actually 1965/66 and we're old now.

Indycar is where the real brutal numbers are for a top tier series though. Somehow, despite being projectiles that can hit walls and fences with the force of a loaded semi truck (I can't remember the exact measurement of force, but I remember having to calculate it several times because the result was IMMENSE), NASCAR is far safer for everyone than open wheel.

Yeah but you said the 3 series lol, and that total is even higher even if you go back to only 50 years ago

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Before the Indy 500 this year I went back and read through the history of each Indy 500. The number of deaths is staggering. I think in one year 5 competitors were killed between all the practice/qual/race sessions

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
don't even try and calculate sprint car deaths unless you have a case of beer handy

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Though as morbid as talking about the body counts are, they've done a whole lot for safety (mostly reactionary). The other half of watching NASCAR is being able to see some of the worst crashes and still wanting to come back. Almost all of the crashes that unfortunately ended in loss of life weren't even half as terrible looking as (IMO) the 3 worst crashes that no one died in. So if you can watch them and still keep interest, then just getting some inside understanding of oval racing (which is the part that's good, most casuals prefer the wrecking to the racing) would keep you hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84hz9w2GlV4
Austin Dillon @ Daytona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlhyyFJqS1o
Geoff Bodine @ Daytona

I flip back and forth between these two for #3 spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQFoRoaKfs
McDowell @ Texas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzCc0hBKYE
Harmon @ Bristol (more a stupidity thing than racing)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CactusWeasle posted:

Before the Indy 500 this year I went back and read through the history of each Indy 500. The number of deaths is staggering. I think in one year 5 competitors were killed between all the practice/qual/race sessions

I wonder how many could have been saved with a closed cockpit.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
So, some of us have already laid out that Erik Jones has "it".

Who else are we claiming? I'm all in on Ty Majeski. He's Wisconsin's once in a generation product. None like him since Kenseth. I watched them both come up. It's really crazy how some short trackers stand out.

The results are there, sure, but it seems to me that you can see every future NASCAR star during a restart at a local short track. They never make a mistake. Ty made a name for himself the last couple seasons, but holy poo poo this season has capped it off.

Look for for him to run a lot of ARCA next year, and he said that he would be running a bunch of TRUCKS next season. Get in now iracing people!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
William Byron, kid's legit

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Todd Gilliland

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

theacox posted:

So, some of us have already laid out that Erik Jones has "it".

:ohdear: I hope he fares better than Tim Ricmond did.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kidcoelacanth posted:

The answer is clear: go back to what they were doing in the 40s

Driving on empty roads with no spectators? That's coming soon.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Josh Williams is doing a heck of a job in ARCA. I think he could do something with a decent opportunity.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Hey, von, check out what came in the mail today! :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

We're taking an hour one night in the off-season and group-watching this in CyTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4YpDekc64

It's an episode of Viceland's Abandoned (a series I stumbled upon today, not realizing the channel had shows which didn't deal with :420:) which focuses on North Wilkesboro, featuring the track's biggest superfan, a white rapper named Chuck who calls himself Primetime.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 9, 2016

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

That guy came to Jeff Gluck's Daytona tweetup last year and complained about the direction of the sport so much that it makes us look like die-hard Brian France supporters by comparison. Then he left because nobody had an extra pit pass for him. He had some good rants about NASCAR's media bias (NASCAR won't give him media credentials because he's too honest or something).

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P

LASTCAR posted:

Hey, von, check out what came in the mail today! :getin:

I will pay you a million dollars for that

Also,
https://twitter.com/DanicaPatrick/status/796360384336699392

von Manstein fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 10, 2016

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Deport all the indycar drovers that used to beat me.

Also way to go nascar for being based in a swing state.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

dentist toy box posted:

Also way to go nascar for being based in a swing state.

:lol: If Trump goes scorched Earth on the EPA and we can't find any miracle fixes, DIS and NASCAR will be under water down the road and will never not be funny.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

:lol: If Trump goes scorched Earth on the EPA and we can't find any miracle fixes, DIS and NASCAR will be under water down the road and will never not be funny.

This will happen regardless. We're too late into it to stop whatever's going to happen. Possibly in the next couple decades.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 10, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://youtu.be/QtYDsC00law

Best way to spend a Wednesday night.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

what a fun and sexy time in which we live

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Brian Scott retiring at the end of the year. Kind of came out of nowhere

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Much like where the direction of his career went

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slickdrac posted:

:vince:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Slickdrac posted:

nowhere is a better destination than the infield medical center

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Trying to steal thunder from smoke smh.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nowhere is a better destination than the infield medical center

Or Daytona turn 4 wall

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That's out of left field. Good on him to be able to make the decision that family's more important than racing in spite of having a ride in Cup. I wonder who Petty puts in the 44.

What's with all the new username/avatar/title combos? I figure some of it was election related, but drat.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's with all the new username/avatar/title combos? I figure some of it was election related, but drat.
I'm legit angry that VikingSkull lost his bitchin avatar that I made. It's really his own fault for DnD'ing, though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Harveygod posted:

I'm legit angry that VikingSkull lost his bitchin avatar that I made. It's really his own fault for DnD'ing, though.

GiP'ing actually

Hilldawgs super mad if you don't hive mind exactly the way they think you should

but lets not make this thread political

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

GiP'ing actually

Hilldawgs super mad if you don't hive mind exactly the way they think you should

but lets not make this thread political

i'm gonna do it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

i'm gonna do it

turn left USA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

turn left USA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

stealing this, thanks

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Dale taking a hard right into a wall and dying is pretty symbolic in regards to this country currently tbh.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

stealing this, thanks

once again, Coors ruins the country

shoulda stayed west of the Mississippi IMO

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

She's so tiny! :3:

VikingSkull posted:

Auto racing is definitely a "be there" kind of spectator sport.

There's two levels of understanding a NASCAR (or oval of any kind) race. The first one is casual, or going to see it live. If you know nothing and go, it will rule. If you're casual and just watch it on TV, you don't get the whole thing. Stage two of being a fan is being hooked by the live racing and learning the ins and outs of why exactly it isn't just simply going fast and turning left.

That part takes some work on your part, but there's an underlying complexity to something that should be simple that really gets lost if you watch it casually.
Fuckin' seconded. Even if you can't afford the ticket price/time off for a Cup race, there's probably a dirt track within 50 miles if you're in the US. $20 to get in on Saturday night. And may actually be more exciting than the major leagues, depending on who you talk to:

1a there is not crashing, that's just how dirt-track racing goes.

theacox posted:

Very well said. For me, racing and hockey are the 2 sports where it is better in person than on TV. Also, both seem to require more than just showing up to get past the initial "wow" factor. I asked my cousin if he wanted to go to the local short track with me this summer. His response, "Why? It's just cars driving in circles." Still working on him.
Most sports are like that, really -- I used to watch the pros on TV, then I was a newspaper photographer and covered high school/college sports from the sidelines. It's just not the same once you've been bowled over by a player/taken a nutshot from a baseball (the first baseman missed the pickoff throw from second in an attempted double play, it bounced once and right into my crotch)

theacox posted:

If you want real HOLY loving poo poo factor, go to NHRA and be anywhere in the stands during top fuel and funny car. That poo poo is no loving joke.
That too. I've only been to the the drag-racing equivalent of Saturday night dirt track, but everything I've heard/read about Top Fuel suggests an experience only rivaled by being an artilleryman.

Slickdrac posted:

Open-wheel mainly has the disadvantage of having the driver's head just out there in the breeze, to be squished by a wall when upside-down (Greg Moore), mowing down a marshal carrying a fire extinguisher (I forget the poor bastard's name), or driving under a tractor removing a wrecked car from the track(Jules Bianchi). Or losing both legs because ... yeah. (Alex Zanardi).

Slickdrac posted:

The other half of watching NASCAR is being able to see some of the worst crashes and still wanting to come back. Almost all of the crashes that unfortunately ended in loss of life weren't even half as terrible looking as (IMO) the 3 worst crashes that no one died in.
No Rusty Wallace? For shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBRgC_btW0
But yeah, the spectacular wrecks with the flips are actually good -- all that flipping is bleeding off the kinetic energy slowly, as opposed to the ol' splat straight into the wall like Dale Sr. and others.

I think/hope there may be a bit of sarcasm to that.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 11, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

goons.txt

edit:

SRA is better than we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Article in quesiton: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/11/10/spencer-gallagher-camping-world-truck-series-2016-interview/93612550/

• Locked thread