Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is fine if they think they are too cool and talented to make a lowly power rangers movie, but it would help if they were actually cool or talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is fine if they think they are too cool and talented to make a lowly power rangers movie, but it would help if they were actually cool or talented.

I think it's a bit much to assume they hate Power Rangers and despise being asked to make it and not that they're approaching it from a different design sense. Even in Japan you've got things like the Melted Microwaved redesigned Kamen Riders.

I mean I'll point out the frigging Kamen Rider movie turn this:

into this:

(And also made them villains which I will be forever :( about.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 5, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
what design sense removes all positive qualities of being a giant robot and comes up with a big grey man with some windows on it. Like, what positives are there to this design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

what design sense removes all positive qualities of being a giant robot and comes up with a big grey man with some windows on it. Like, what positives are there to this design.

I'm not saying it is a good design just that it is isn't inherently coming from a perspective of "We're too GOOD for this."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's a bit much to assume they hate Power Rangers and despise being asked to make it and not that they're approaching it from a different design sense. Even in Japan you've got things like the Melted Microwaved redesigned Kamen Riders.

I mean I'll point out the frigging Kamen Rider movie turn this:

into this:

(And also made them villains which I will be forever :( about.)

It's called Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Movie Wars not Kamen Rider & Friends

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
What a poor malnourished zord, someone feed it a nice steak dinner

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
he can work for his zord steak dinner like everyone else!!! get a job!!!!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
megazord looks like loving trash

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, i just can't say anything good about people who obviously don't like robot dinosaurs. melty plastic dinosaurs don't count.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i mean, not liking the toku version of robot dinosaurs is fine. not everyone is into the super low budget look. but not liking even the concept of robot dinosaurs is unforgiveable.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the best robot dinosaurs are all zoids anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i mean, not liking the toku version of robot dinosaurs is fine. not everyone is into the super low budget look. but not liking even the concept of robot dinosaurs is unforgiveable.

As far as I know robot dinosaurs are still in the film.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OnimaruXLR posted:

the best robot dinosaurs are all zoids anyway

This dude knows what's up. I'm sad that zoids stopped trending by the time I had enough disposable income as an adult to hypothetically horde toys in my apartment :v:

Maybe I should get into gunpla...

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Pushing this again since Hollywood toku stuff is abuzz.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1429448857/fujiyama-ichiban-ultimate

This dude Michi Yamato's been working with toku since 1981 (KR, Sentai, Space Sheriff Galvan) and looks like he was involved during Saban's boom in the 90s.

Now he wants to try making his own thing in Hollywood with this in mind:

quote:

"This is a VERY important point. When I was working for Saban and Toei, I had to follow TV network’s executives and toy makers’ requests. This meant no stabbing with swords, no blood, and no punching or kicking except the chest! This often made the final product look like a toy commercial. I understand the business side, but for now, I want to create an innovative new Tokusatsu hero. I want to produce it WITHOUT limited thinking and rules. Please support and help us create new action heroes."

Overall it looks more like something that embraces the fun/campy stuff while aiming to be a serious production.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They really fumbled the name, I think. It doesn't have nearly enough power to grab someone who doesn't immediately know what tokusatsu is, which is something that would have to be do-or-die in Hollywood.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Yeah I agree, the name doesn't feel really strong. I'm guessing they're carrying it over from the parody web series but it's not like that has major brand recognition.

Even something like.. Samuraider would be better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Samurai + raider? That would actually be pretty good.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Goddamn, that fight sequence in this week's Orb.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just caught up on Ex-Aid and it's fun. I'm thinking it's a little weird that Emu, Asuna, the Director, and now the CEO share this idea of mode-switching or personality-switching, but the other three Riders don't especially.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Yeah Samurai + Raider
But it could also sound like Rider :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I kinda see this failing entirely out of a fail to appeal to the mass market. That is way too high a goal for what's currently looking like it's trying to be a cult classic movie.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

I just caught up on Ex-Aid and it's fun. I'm thinking it's a little weird that Emu, Asuna, the Director, and now the CEO share this idea of mode-switching or personality-switching, but the other three Riders don't especially.

Apart from Kagami Sr., all of them have a direct connection with videogames: game champion, literal game character, game maker. The other three have no connection to games, and we know that at least Hiiro never plays games at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the personalities of those three drastically changed due to encounters with bugsters, though i doubt they will switch back and forth like the rest of the cast.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, I kinda see this failing entirely out of a fail to appeal to the mass market. That is way too high a goal for what's currently looking like it's trying to be a cult classic movie.

I just can't get over one of the lower backer tiers being screensavers. Who uses a screensaver when almost all monitors are set to just power off?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think I can see each person's cockpit on that Megazord. That's kind of cool. Makes more sense than everyone converging in one room.

That's all I got.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's a girl at this con I'm working cosplaying as a decent Emu

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Craptacular! posted:

I think I can see each person's cockpit on that Megazord. That's kind of cool. Makes more sense than everyone converging in one room.

That's all I got.

Sucks for the pilot that's an arm.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Quick question, does anyone know where I can find copies of the two volume Super Sentai Monster History books, cause I've been wanting to get them for a long time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sucks for the pilot that's an arm.

And the legs. Just gotta look straight up at the monsters dick to try and figure out what's going on.

It's actually somehow dumber than the all in one cockpit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, that's one thing I do appreciate about the first movie, which is a very very dumb kids movie that is a lot of fun because of how dumb it is

They take the brief moment to show how they get from their individual cockpits, to the main control room within the Megazord. And it's a neat little thing. It's just this small half a second shot of Kimberly's chair taking her out of her area and bringing her into the main room. And hey, we might get the same thing in this movie, which would be neat. Though it makes me question why we even have the cockpits exposed to begin with.

And you know that makes sense that they would get taken to some centralized area. It's a really terrible idea to have cockpits exposed on something that is meant to punch poo poo and get into physical altercations.

The reason why airplanes have exposed cockpits and tanks do not is because a plane isn't going to be getting into any heavy 1 v 1 fighting. The plane is fragile enough that if it gets hit anyways its dead, and its moving so fast that it doesn't have to worry about that poo poo regardless. Also fighter planes are only piloted by one or two people- Bombers eschew the exposed cockpit entirely and are way more armored and intelligent in that design.

Tanks on the flip side are going to get into a lot of up close fights, meaning having the pilots exposed in any way more than they have to be is a lovely idea.

Why the gently caress would you put your pilots of giant robot dinosaurs and animals into glowing cockpits that make for easy targets?

Does Zordon have life insurance on them or

I admit most of this isn't directed squarely at the new movie, since we're still not sure what it's CGI model will look like or just how dumb they're going to treat the combined form. I just have a lot of pet peeves when it comes to giant robots.

Like having the head be the cockpit at any time you loving morons that's an awful idea put it in the chest under all of the armor god drat it Pacific Rim

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Also Ivan Ooze is so loving fun it's criminal. Clearly nobody was allowed to tell Paul Freeman to stop acting ridiculous, and the movie is all the better for it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

It's a really terrible idea to have cockpits exposed on something that is meant to punch poo poo and get into physical altercations.

its a show about kids with dinosaur powers who gives a gently caress

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

people who need a little more than that to have fun with a lovely loving trainwreck of a movie?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think focusing more on realism would fix the issues with the spandex hero movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Clearly not the people making the movie

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

They take the brief moment to show how they get from their individual cockpits, to the main control room within the Megazord.

Ohranger's first robo shows little action figure people riding chairs down a chain lift hill into a cockpit. It's a stupid visual for something that I didn't need to know. And I'm usually the person who is looking so hard for realism that I can't have any fun.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

people who need a little more than that to have fun with a lovely loving trainwreck of a movie?

If you're looking for tactical realism in a super hero movie you should punch yourself in the dick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Clearly not the people making the movie

It's a goddamn superhero movje

Their GIANT DINOSAUR ROBOT having exposed cockpits is not a sign of people not giving a gently caress

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If you're looking for tactical realism in a super hero movie you should punch yourself in the dick

drat you for discovering that there's only binary choices in the world.

[edit] Nah, you know what, that's easy to be flip.

Tactical realism is what got us this shitbox zord design. I like my toku fun and I like my costumes extra-lovely. It better look like a dude in a LOT of foam rubber nightmare fuel or it's just not good. We need more fun crazy rear end bullshit like the original Zyuranger and Gavan and Byclosser and all the early stuff that was just balls to the wall pants on head retarded fun crazy melodrama. (See also; Ex-aid)
That's why power rangers worked here before, it was crazy poo poo for kids on a shoestring budget.

This looks like boring bullshit.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's a goddamn superhero movje

Their GIANT DINOSAUR ROBOT having exposed cockpits is not a sign of people not giving a gently caress

You do realize that, and I said this a few times, the giant exposed cockpits weren't my problems with the designs or the movie specifically?

That was basically just a semi related rant about those design choices in movies like this in general.

No what shows they don't care is literally everything else about the movie

• Locked thread