Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Sprite141 posted:

Speaking of FF11, I'm saving everything for the ffxi event. We better drat well get it.

I'm afraid I have some bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've been playing since whatever event gave out Rikku's Thief Wardrobe Sphere, and I've participated in every event that I possibly could. With a R4 Ramuh and a R1 Valefor crafted, I have 5 major summoning orbs and 14 greater summoning orbs in the bank. So yeah, a relatively new player is basically poo poo out of luck on crafting / honing summons at all. I'm pretty sure R3 or R4 Valefor would completely tap me out on summon orbs until Orbfest.

At least the r3 summons are pretty easy to get, for whenever you need to hit a weakness. Those five major orbs easily convert to 500 3* orbs, so even rank 5 is pretty cheap to reach.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Started playing again after basically ignoring this game since just after release. I've got 50ish mythril, and I just cleared North Cave. What should I be doing, and should I spend my mythril now or hold out for an upcoming event?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mithross posted:

Started playing again after basically ignoring this game since just after release. I've got 50ish mythril, and I just cleared North Cave. What should I be doing, and should I spend my mythril now or hold out for an upcoming event?

Tonight there is a lucky draw for... something. It's half off, i.e. 25 mythril for 11 relics, and at least one of those is guaranteed to be a five-star. If nothing else make sure to draw on that.

The important thing to note though is that you can't do a single or three-draw on it and you can only do it once.

Outside of that, the Onion Knight event coming up has some pretty good stuff - it's probably the most worthwhile of the near future's events, but also watch for Minfilia and Alphinaud's event later.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 8, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mithross posted:

There'll be a lucky banner later today that'll be half-price, that'll be your best bet for starting out. After that, spend at least one on Keeper's Choice volume 2 at the bottom, see if you can get one of the big prizes there.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've been playing since whatever event gave out Rikku's Thief Wardrobe Sphere, and I've participated in every event that I possibly could. With a R4 Ramuh and a R1 Valefor crafted, I have 5 major summoning orbs and 14 greater summoning orbs in the bank. So yeah, a relatively new player is basically poo poo out of luck on crafting / honing summons at all. I'm pretty sure R3 or R4 Valefor would completely tap me out on summon orbs until Orbfest.
Break those major orbs, my dude. I can't think of a single 5* summon currently out that's more worth it than getting your 3* basics to r3/r4 or starting to hone up your 4* workhorses.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mithross posted:

Half price banner coming later today is a good start, always pull on those when you're new. Then I'd recommend keeper's selection 2, the key items being Platinum Sword (FFT, Ramza) and Sentinel Grimoire (Tyro). Having one or both is pretty vital for late game content.

Besides those, there is a notably strong FF3 banner coming in a few weeks, that is very much worth pulling on. Or just pull on whatever game you like, since early on having any 5* items is a huge upgrade in power. Take note of AoE cure and Haste effects in particular, since those are very valuable effects to have.

Important thing is to always do an 11-item pull, since that guarantees at least one 5* relic. Avoid 3-pulls completely, and 1-pulls are only worth it if you spend a dollar on the single discounted pull you can get.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Break those major orbs, my dude. I can't think of a single 5* summon currently out that's more worth it than getting your 3* basics to r3/r4 or starting to hone up your 4* workhorses.

Yeah, I'm definitely aiming more for 4-star summons, gonna get Valefor to R3 at least and then probably snag Alexander, Leviathan, or Maduin after that. There's just a ton of orb overlap on all the stuff I want right to hone right now, which I guess is probably something everyone deals with until they hit the point where they are just crafting / honing luxury skills.

I'm just putting summons on the backburner until I get some better mage relics and finish honing my core skills for my physical team. Right now the only mage BSB I have is Garnet's, so there aren't too many situations where I'm bringing summons anyway. These multi-target fights are just hell on my physical team, but I won't have a solid enough lineup of casters to do anything else for a good while still.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

With the party they've chosen, it could be a non-crossover XI event coming up. It'd be annoying to have to wait that long for those two in Global, of course. And even more irritating to miss a Samurai skill.
Amusingly, none of the three has 4* White 5* Black and Curilla has no means of adding Lightning-element without dipping into Materia or RW.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

New level of power creep hitting JP soon - Limit Chain SSBs, which basically seem to be based off of FF11 skill-chaining.

Not sure exactly how I feel about that.

Off the cuff the biggest issue I immediately see is that it will probably only chain with other Limit Chain type breaks, meaning you won't be able to really see the mechanic at play until you have a lot of them. At that point they'll likely either disappoint or break the game in two. I'd bet heavily on the former myself. I'm sure they'll be good, but I doubt they'll really be that much better than spamming SSBs or Bursts in the same sort of chain.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Mithross posted:

The Lucky Pull's a definite. 11 items, one at LEAST being a 5*, and likely to be more since there's around a 14% chance of each orb being 5*s.

Next on the chopping block is likely to be 3's event since Onion Knight would be debuting in the game. Though I wouldn't put too much stock in that character unless you REALLY wanna spend all your time getting him to 99. Which is not a thing you wanna do this early on.

The next two events coming up are an FF13-2 event featuring Noel and Sarah and FF4 which gives you a chance to get FF4 characters, a few eggs (depending on how far you are in core dungeons) and Cid if you can beat the dungeon he's rewarded in. After FF4 is 3's event with Onion Knight, then FF8 which features Leon/Squall's OSB. I believe the next events after that are FF6, FF7 and then FF5. So you have a lot of choice. I'd suggest putting 50 mythril where you will on whatever banners, so don't feel TOO pressured. Pull for Waifus/Husbandos (AKA: Favorites) where applicable, and enjoy whatever shinies you get. But, special note is to AoE Cure relics (Medicas) and AoE Haste relics (Hestagas), those are pretty much a staple in anyone's "A-Team" formations. Also walls (+200% DEF and RES to the party for around 30 seconds), but there's only -two- characters who get them. Tyro and Y'sholta. One's a Jack of All Trades, Master of None, but can fill in any holes in a team you need. And the other's essentially a Pure White Mage and is better off using those turns to heal.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LornMarkus posted:

Off the cuff the biggest issue I immediately see is that it will probably only chain with other Limit Chain type breaks, meaning you won't be able to really see the mechanic at play until you have a lot of them. At that point they'll likely either disappoint or break the game in two. I'd bet heavily on the former myself. I'm sure they'll be good, but I doubt they'll really be that much better than spamming SSBs or Bursts in the same sort of chain.

Look at the post immediately above yours. Looks like they're a different kind of stacking multiplier in addition to enelement etc. that applies to certain skills for a short time after you use the SB. Some would be elementally-based, others would be jobclass-based (aka "any Knight skills will chain").

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Yup. It shows right in the images Chain Thundaga counting as a chain after the thunder-element combo SSB.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What does Limit Chaining refer to, anyway? I've not played FF11 and thus far the only similar sounding things are Chain -ga spells/Powerchain.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
What I'm curious about is why they're coming out with this new thing with only three USBs out. Maybe they intend for them to coincide?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Well...I can't not pull on my last chance ever for Clear Tranquil...

e: Lame, lame pull. Cid's ancient Trident and that's it. Oh well.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 9, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

What does Limit Chaining refer to, anyway? I've not played FF11 and thus far the only similar sounding things are Chain -ga spells/Powerchain.

In XI, whenever you struck an enemy for 1+ damage with your weapon, you gained TP(Tactical Points? Technical Points?) based on how long the delay was between your attacks(More delay = more TP). After you saved up 100 TP, you could use a weapon skill, which was a big flashy attack. XI had a mechanic called skillchaining where each weaponskill had a polarity, and using weaponskills of harmonious polarity in sequence resulted in a skillchain, which was a big flashy explosion that did a bunch of physical elemental damage. There was a short window during and after a skillchain in which any offensive magic cast on the victim would Magic Burst and do significantly more damage.

Back when I played all of this was ignored and we just spammed our highest damage WS without a care in the world.

Edit: Valkyrie for Rinoa, Aevis Killer for Faris. Not so bad, I needed an FF8 magic stat stick. The bow is beyond useless (for me) though.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 9, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lucky Draw got me my third copy of Cloud's Buster Sword, Squall's Shear Trigger, Lenna's Power Staff, and Yuffie's 4-point Shuriken. None of them have particularly great SBs, but stat sticks are always welcome. Nice to finally have a sword for FFVIII

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

U-DO Burger posted:

Lucky Draw got me my third copy of Cloud's Buster Sword, Squall's Shear Trigger, Lenna's Power Staff, and Yuffie's 4-point Shuriken. None of them have particularly great SBs, but stat sticks are always welcome. Nice to finally have a sword for FFVIII

I hate you :argh: All I got was Dragon Force, AKA: Physical Blink1 in an SB. And that's ALL it does.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 9, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

1 5*, 10 pieces of 3* trash.

I would normally be glad to get Seph's BSB... except I already had it, and my FF7 synergy is already overloaded with gear. So I guess I have a 6* Masamune. :confuoot:

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Lucky draw got me 6th Yoichi's bow, 2nd cids goggles, Genji Blade and...

Kaiser Knuckles.

Time to solo Galuf with everything. I probably shouldn't have pulled, my V synergy is out of control.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Just drawn on the Relic banner.

...another Shear Trigger, Cid's Trident and Zell's Ehrgeiz. Meh?

I guess I COULD make a 8* Shear Trigger.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 9, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm happy for a unique, cool BSB but I'm absolutely drowning in a sea of White Mage relics these days.

My list now includes:

Selphie's Strange Vision BSB
Selphie's Dreamstage SSB
Vanille's Miracle Prayer SSB
Vanille's Oerba's Boon SB
Vanille's Deprotectga SB
Yuna's Miracle Prayer SSB
Minwu's Will of the White Mage SSB
Minwu's Teleport XVI SB
Eiko's Flames of Rebirth SSB
Cait Sith's Moogle Dance SSB (Does he count as a White Mage?)

I... I think I'm good on White Mage relics game.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

My Lucky draw was. Kind of not. The only 5* I got was a Maverick, which is hilariously out-of-date and basically just a statstick for me.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Got Organics myself.

Ehn... could be better, could be a lot worse on a 1/11 on a Lucky. As far as the low end of the spectrum goes, I'll count my blessings.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh hey I no longer have a reason to grab Ramza's Grand Armor, nice. Also, I think Yuffie just became the character I have the most relics for

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Slepnir's Tail for Quistis, Seifer's Coat for Seifer and Ehrghiz for Zell. Nothing amazing, but VIII was my weakest realms (at least physically) of the 3 in the Draw so this is great.

I really should get around to doing Ifrit now. I've been pretty lazy.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Blaaaaa, an SB for Zack, Irvine, and Reno. That's a big ol' turd pull.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Cloud's Hard Edge and Aerith's Prism Rod. Already have Organics for Cloud and Aerith's BSB, so.... eh. Not gonna complain too much since I the last Lucky Draw got me Vaan BSB, Agrias Kaiser Shield, and Cait Sith Green Megaphone, so I was due for a worse pull, right

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Decided to throw 25 Mythril at the Lucky Draw for the hell of it.

Walked away with Bartz's Cloak and a Wizer Rod. Was hoping for a Galuf relic (which I'm fairly certain at this point is never going to happen for me), but I'll happily take another BSB and Wind-boosting armor.

Speaking of Wind-boosting gear, I now have:
Air Knife (V)
Air Knives (XIV)
Cid's Goggles+ (VII)
Bartz's Cloak (V)

I also apparently have like 15 different SBs that are Wind-elemental to some degree, including Cloud's OSB, a few Enwinds, and some Imperil Winds, too. :psyduck:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

I also apparently have like 15 different SBs that are Wind-elemental to some degree, including Cloud's OSB, a few Enwinds, and some Imperil Winds, too. :psyduck:

Sounds like time to start working on a mono-element team.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KataraniSword posted:

Sounds like time to start working on a mono-element team.

I have the following to choose from:

Bartz - Blade Wing, Choco Romp, Light of the Four
Cloud - Climhazzard, Finishing Touch (pretty sure this combination makes him an insta-lock)
Cid (VII) - Dragon, Big Brawl
Squall - Lion's Roar
Zidane - Stellar Circle 5
Freya - Six Dragons, Cherry Blossom
Eiko - Withering Winds (I also have her SSB and BSB, so she's probably going to be my healer)
Paine - Sword Dance
Fang - Megaflare
Thancred - Jin-Chi-Ten

Some of these I also have non-Wind SBs for that I didn't bother listing since the point of this is to focus on the Wind element stuff.

Cloud's obviously a lock, since he's got both his OSB and his Enwind SB; but after that I'm kinda suffering from decision paralysis. I'm kinda leaning towards Bartz, Freya and Fang since those offer me two addtional Enwind effects and an Imperil Wind effect. I'm not sure if it would be worth dropping one of them for either Paine or Thancred's Hastega.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
rip my chances for Wutai Headband

Bleh. Not great. I already had a Sorceress Crown. Actually, I'm definitely leaving it uncombined, because whenever I try to build a mage team I'm always annoyed by my lack of good magic headgear, so keeping a second Crown around will be extremely useful.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Got the basic Squall's Jacket and the super Almasy Revolver. Both are for FF8, which was my weakest realm of the three! Dreams do come true.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

4/11, Zantensuken(V), Partizan(VII), Telescopic Baton(VII)and Ragnarok(V)(Dupe).

Well I know where my 100 gem luck went. I needed the VII synergy, so the draw isn't a bust for me in any way really.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

I have the following to choose from:

Bartz - Blade Wing, Choco Romp, Light of the Four
Cloud - Climhazzard, Finishing Touch (pretty sure this combination makes him an insta-lock)
Cid (VII) - Dragon, Big Brawl
Squall - Lion's Roar
Zidane - Stellar Circle 5
Freya - Six Dragons, Cherry Blossom
Eiko - Withering Winds (I also have her SSB and BSB, so she's probably going to be my healer)
Paine - Sword Dance
Fang - Megaflare
Thancred - Jin-Chi-Ten

Some of these I also have non-Wind SBs for that I didn't bother listing since the point of this is to focus on the Wind element stuff.

Cloud's obviously a lock, since he's got both his OSB and his Enwind SB; but after that I'm kinda suffering from decision paralysis. I'm kinda leaning towards Bartz, Freya and Fang since those offer me two addtional Enwind effects and an Imperil Wind effect. I'm not sure if it would be worth dropping one of them for either Paine or Thancred's Hastega.

If you drop anyone, drop Bartz for Paine; an enelement is nice but Cloud is the important one for that and Paine can use Snowspell Strike/Tornado Strike like Bartz can alongside Banishing Strike/Saint Cross for medal conditions. Bartz's one advantage over her - Steal Power - is irrelevant since without a hastega you'd be packing Shout, anyway. More importantly, Freya and Fang can both use Sky High to wring out more Wind damage with their actions.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drat, I got Relm's dress and THREE SHINY THINGS. Holy poo poo, FFRK, I get it--you want me to use Gau.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Ragnarok on the lucky pull. BAAAARTZ!

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 9, 2016

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

KataraniSword posted:

If you drop anyone, drop Bartz for Paine; an enelement is nice but Cloud is the important one for that and Paine can use Snowspell Strike/Tornado Strike like Bartz can alongside Banishing Strike/Saint Cross for medal conditions. Bartz's one advantage over her - Steal Power - is irrelevant since without a hastega you'd be packing Shout, anyway. More importantly, Freya and Fang can both use Sky High to wring out more Wind damage with their actions.

I dunno dude, building 2 SB bars for Bartz and then going nuts with enwind, +wind gear, light of the four and flurry storm is a guaranteed 30-40k damage per turn for 4-5 turns. Takes a little more setting up, but it's a significant amount of sustainable damage in hard content.

Inge fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Sorry I took this pull from someone else since I already have one of these :(

The Cuirass is pretty nice too, I think.

Don't combine the Ragnaroks, right?

• Locked thread