Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Thread, allow me to share this with you, from the bowels of *chan /pol/. I wanted to :smug:, and also note that I am diamond-hard at their rage. It has already begun. It might be an opinion poll, but I'm treating this as a fappetizer for the tears and mad to come.

Be advised, they say the n-word so fair warning

:gizz:

Hey since we're in the early days of this presumably historic megathread, can we get consensus from the black posters on posting stuff like this? I love to laugh at awful racists as much as the next person, but I could see this easily sliding into PYF Reminder That Black People Aren't Human, and I don't want to get to a point where I feel like I can't risk clicking on this thread when I'm having a bad day

In general I find my well-meaning white friends sometimes trot out racist stuff just to get my reaction to it, kind of a common-purpose "wow we both agree this is awful right? Remember I'm on your side" and I know no offense is intended but I don't think they get how exhausting it is when that's just the world you live in. Like, racism isn't really a novelty for us, so it's not always fun to look at even if it's just to laugh at the racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hey since we're in the early days of this presumably historic megathread, can we get consensus from the black posters on posting stuff like this? I love to laugh at awful racists as much as the next person, but I could see this easily sliding into PYF Reminder That Black People Aren't Human, and I don't want to get to a point where I feel like I can't risk clicking on this thread when I'm having a bad day

In general I find my well-meaning white friends sometimes trot out racist stuff just to get my reaction to it, kind of a common-purpose "wow we both agree this is awful right? Remember I'm on your side" and I know no offense is intended but I don't think they get how exhausting it is when that's just the world you live in. Like, racism isn't really a novelty for us, so it's not always fun to look at even if it's just to laugh at the racists.

cosigned.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I would suggest adding it to the rules of the OP if you guys decide on it. Knowing the trends of the forum I can see a lot of people falling into that behavior.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I totally agree

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not even saying "don't post it," just like, let's talk about what we feel about it. Let's rap.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm not even saying "don't post it," just like, let's talk about what we feel about it. Let's rap.

if I want to see that poo poo, and sometimes, yeah I like to laugh at people like that, I'll go to the meltdown thread.

But there definitely days (most) where I don't want to come into here or the misogynoir thread and deal with that loving bullshit

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

if I want to see that poo poo, and sometimes, yeah I like to laugh at people like that, I'll go to the meltdown thread.

But there definitely days (most) where I don't want to come into here or the misogynoir thread and deal with that loving bullshit

That's my thoughts on it. It can be linked indirectly from another thread, but not directly posted here.

That way those who want to see it can, but those who don't can just keep scrolling.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

These are the guidelines for a group I follow, but don't really post in:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthAfricanFeminists/permalink/1064656883618389/

The rules feel a little overkill, but the group manages to be a pretty safe intersectional space, so they're probably worth reading if nothing else. (I think SA is a very, very long way from being able to host a space like that.)

Anyway there are also like several dozen links to intersectionality 101 articles which might be helpful.

This is the policy relating to the current discussion:

quote:

ON 'RAGE FODDER':
'Rage fodder' is oppressive memes or posts that will simply trigger and
enrage group members without purpose. These threads are generally not productive, and are not conducive to a safe space. If you *have* to share something like this, please put the image(s) in the comments and explain how it makes you feel and what you need the group's help with when working through those emotions. You can also post the image via tumblr or imgur.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lead out in cuffs posted:

These are the guidelines for a group I follow, but don't really post in:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthAfricanFeminists/permalink/1064656883618389/

The rules feel a little overkill, but the group manages to be a pretty safe intersectional space, so they're probably worth reading if nothing else. (I think SA is a very, very long way from being able to host a space like that.)

Anyway there are also like several dozen links to intersectionality 101 articles which might be helpful.

This is the policy relating to the current discussion:

Quoting this so I remember to add it to the first post when I get up later, but yes that's a great rule.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for posting that. I'm sure nobody wants to wade into "trigger warnings" and summon a million hi-larious goonbros, but maybe a good rule of thumb is whether the thing you want to post can foster deep discussion, or just prompt everyone to go :gonk:

So like, someone might post some pictures of Sinterklaas and his cheerful slave buddy, and that's pretty enraging but it also opens up a discussion of European racism (and how they all sniff that that's "an American problem" ugh), but just Fratboy Wears Blackface #9083 might not have the same potential.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
People melting down like that is hilarious at times. But I also think it can be a very slippery slope of an issue to the point where if you let one person post stuff like that then you will eventually get into worse and worse poo poo and then its too late.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

People melting down like that is hilarious at times. But I also think it can be a very slippery slope of an issue to the point where if you let one person post stuff like that then you will eventually get into worse and worse poo poo and then its too late.

Yeah. Y'all know I love me some seething racists and white tears but if it's some 4chan post calling folks the n-word 45 times I don't want to see that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

*turns hat and chair around*

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

So noted, all. I don't really have a vote on the topic, but if asked, I'll refrain.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This election is terrifying. Some people joke about this stuff and want to gloat at liberals but this poo poo is no joke.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
It really ain't. We might have to gofundme some boats back to Africa.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

negromancer posted:

It really ain't. We might have to gofundme some boats back to Africa.

Can my wife and I tag along, or would that be gentrification? :ohdear:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

Can my wife and I tag along, or would that be gentrification? :ohdear:

It would be colonization then, and yes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Help. I can't live in this reality.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You wanna go live in the woods? I'm thinking about going to live in the woods.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hello, fellow black people. I'm loving shook right now.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Me loving either. I am absolutely terrified

LunarShadow fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 9, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm scared for y'all. I'm scared for my family. They don't hate Clinton, as much as they pretend. She's accused far less than Trump's admitted to doing. They hate us. As in anybody who doesn't toe the racist, white male supremacist line. He promised them that he'd gently caress us over. Force us to say "Merry Christmas" and pray to the Christian God. Force trans women into men's rooms. And that's just the petty poo poo he wants to do. Then we have total Republican control of all aspects of government. They're going to grind away every good thing that we've worked for over the past 40 years.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

I'm scared for y'all. I'm scared for my family. They don't hate Clinton, as much as they pretend. She's accused far less than Trump's admitted to doing. They hate us. As in anybody who doesn't toe the racist, white male supremacist line. He promised them that he'd gently caress us over. Force us to say "Merry Christmas" and pray to the Christian God. Force trans women into men's rooms. And that's just the petty poo poo he wants to do. Then we have total Republican control of all aspects of government. They're going to grind away every good thing that we've worked for over the past 40 years.

Yep, but here we are, thanks to white people yet again.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LunarShadow posted:

Me loving either. I am absolutely terrified

I can't believe we live in a country that's willing to elect a racist, sexist, alleged sexual assaulter. I can't believe that something like this could happen after Obama. My grandparents literally got dogs sicced on them and we're possibly heading back in that direction.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think 66% of white women voted for Trump. So much for the whole solidarity thing.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

negromancer posted:

Yep, but here we are, thanks to white people yet again.

Happy to be a traitor when the majority are this awful.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I think 66% of white women voted for Trump. So much for the whole solidarity thing.

Oh white feminists are going to get DRAGGED to hell and back by WoC.

Talmonis posted:

Happy to be a traitor when the majority are this awful.

If you try to Richard Aoki us, I swear to Christ...

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I loving hate Tariq Nasheed, but this is what black people have to look forward to now.

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/796196763396780033

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

negromancer posted:

If you try to Richard Aoki us, I swear to Christ...

Nah, it'd take something truly horrible for that to happen. Like, "We have your son," horrible.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Turn left America noooo!

This turn from five thirty eight's morning predictions is god drat terrifying. The clear push of White identity politics into the polls is straight up terrifying. Stay safe.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

I can't believe we live in a country that's willing to elect a racist, sexist, alleged sexual assaulter. I can't believe that something like this could happen after Obama. My grandparents literally got dogs sicced on them and we're possibly heading back in that direction.

I am actually white myself, but I am engaged to a black woman and we plan to have kids. So yeah, terrified for that reason and just genuinely pissed that white supremacy and fascism was further loving legitimized.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jesus gently caress man.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I tried my best to turn NC blue. :negative:

Edit: Jesus even more of my "fellow" white people are poo poo than I thought.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 9, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess the new narrative is going to be that if Bernie Sanders were nominated, then Trump would have lost which is a pretty dumb narrative, especially since we aren't even sure that people of color would have turned out for him.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This is all loving white peoples falt

goddammit you loving cucked cracker men votingj for the used car salesman with a frightfully bad toupee

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

djw175 posted:

Well I'm a dead gal walking (possibly in more ways than one if Pence has his say), so while I'm still here, I'm gonna say this. Thank you so much for this thread and the negrotown thread. They've both taught me so much about the racism that I as a white person can't really notice by myself. You've also all been incredibly accepting and I want to thank you for that.

Now, I'm off to try to put my own poo poo in order. I hope things aren't too much worse for you in a post Trump world.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm going to die.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
This is a really good thread that I've been reading and not posting in because I have nothing of value to contribute, but seriously I'm so loving sorry for this awful night and that you all have to live in this garbage country. I wish I had more to offer but I really don't know what to say that wouldn't sound even more empty than this already does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I live abroad and I've been crying since my partner woke me up. I even loving voted for her. I get to face to people in a different country as to why this happened. I get to do this for the rest of my life.

Great.

• Locked thread