Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Professor Shark posted:

Nova Scotia News: Our Liberals are being hilariously aggressive towards the Teacher's Union and are now putting out commercials. When asked how much the taxpayers would be shelling out for these commercials, MacNeil said that he didn't know :shrug:

Probably not a super great idea to gently caress with teachers. Can't see how this won't backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So far things seem to be going fine for them, though Parent groups are starting to pop up in support of the teachers. Public opinion doesn't seem to be against us like I thought it might be, however no one seems to be to upset at the games the government is playing.

The nurses appear to be gearing up for a public brawl, however.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Parents are never in favour of the teachers when they strike because they're afraid that they might actually have to take care of their kids if there's no school. The BC government learned and began to take advantage of this a long time ago.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We'll probably go Work-to-Rule first, which should also be fairly unpopular when sports are cancelled

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man, what the heck is going on in Nova Scotia politics? Does the NDP gain any traction here? Is the reason they're eroding workers rights because of provincial budget problems? (Cause god forbid tax the rich lol)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The green spaces in Toronto are completely unacceptable for white children because they're full of terrifying Filipinos and Jamaicans having gigantic family barbecues.

Some of them include music and laughter and soccer! :ohdear:

There's only one picnic bench left, Marshall, and it has someone sitting at the end of it while they watch their child play on the slide. We can't possible share that one with them let's keep driving.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/the-market/housing-starts-slow-in-october-cmhc/article32718422/

quote:

Canadian housing starts, permits slip in latest signs of cooling

Canadian housing starts slowed in October as the once-hot British Columbia market braked sharply, while separate data on Tuesday showed the value of building permits slipped in September, suggesting the country’s long property boom is cooling.

Groundbreaking on new homes fell to 192,928 units in October, roughly in line with expectations, from a revised seasonally adjusted annual rate of 219,363 units in September, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp said.

The slowdown in new construction was sharpest in British Columbia, where starts dropped 44.9 per cent. Vancouver, Canada’s most expensive housing market, has come off the boil since the August introduction of a tax on foreign buyers in that city.

Housing starts in Ontario, by contrast, rose 20.0 per cent in October, suggesting Canada’s largest city, Toronto, remains red-hot, the report from the federal housing agency showed.

A long housing boom in Canada sparked fears of a real estate bubble, and the government has moved multiple times to tighten mortgage and tax rules to prevent borrowers from taking on too much debt to get into the market.

“Residential construction activity remains a highly regional story in Canada. The new development in October was the falloff in Vancouver, which could be the first sign that builders are responding to much softer demand in that region,” BMO Capital Markets senior economist Robert Kavcic said in a research note.

The addition of a 15 per cent surcharge on foreign buyers in Vancouver has cooled the most expensive segment of that market, but Toronto still sees bidding wars for many homes, particularly detached houses. The market in the rest of the country has mostly cooled.

The slowdown in housing starts was more pronounced in the multiples segment – typically condos and apartments – than in detached housing, the report showed. Multiple urban starts fell 15.3 per cent, while single-detached urban starts notched a milder 5.4 per cent decline.

A separate report showed the value of Canadian building permits fell 7 per cent in September from August, the biggest drop in eight months, though residential permits were up in the month. Analysts had expected an overall decrease of 5.6 per cent.

The decline was attributed to lower construction intentions for non-residential buildings, especially in retail complexes and office buildings.

The total value of residential building permits rose 2.6 per cent in September on construction intentions for multi-family dwellings. The non-residential sector fell 22.3 per cent, led by a drop in the commercial component.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So far it's just housing whack-a-mole. The action has moved from Vancouver to Toronto (and neighbouring areas) and will probably heat up significantly before the next smackdown occurs. Which will then move it to..Montreal? Place your bets!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One of Sportsnet's insiders said today that NHL players' agents are blanching at the 15% foreign buyer tax in Vancouver HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT RUINING YOUR HOCKEY TEAM GREGOR :nyoron:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Arivia posted:

One of Sportsnet's insiders said today that NHL players' agents are blanching at the 15% foreign buyer tax in Vancouver HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT RUINING YOUR HOCKEY TEAM GREGOR :nyoron:

The Canucks are an excellent example of what happens when you rely too much on foreign labor, really.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

Any American with even a tiny shred of reason should see him as a dangerous clown at this point. Are there enough completely unreasonable Americans to tip the balance? I don't think so.

That said, a Hillary win is now like 90%+ priced into markets. I'd only expect a small rally after the election night proper. But a Trump win would come as an absolute blindside. Uncertainty out the wazoo...

So I've been building a much larger than usual cash position, to take advantage juuuuust in case he gets it and the market dumps.

Ug well I was hoping that wasn't going to happen.

Just a reminder for tomorrow folks, if you do have cash money to put aside for your retirement fund, it's going to be a great opportunity to buy at a discount. Grab you some index fund ETFs. Check out the Canada investing thread for allocation recommendations.

It's pretty much a win win. If this is the beginning of the collapse, money won't matter anymore and your retirement package will be delivered free in the form of nuclear hellfire or bandit rape gangs. If the world turns out to be fine (maybe we do the recession thing for awhile first), you'll appreciate the gains later. Keep buying on the way down.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha I was going to (finally) move some money from our savings account into an index fund last week but couldn't be bothered to put in the paperwork

Think I'll do it this week instead, what do you reckon

Hahahahaha

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

lol if you think Donald has a chance in hell of winning

Stop relying on anything but election.princeton.edu

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
:wtc:

Rime fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 9, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

namaste faggots posted:

lol

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I am legitimately curious to see what CI has to say in 3 hours

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawKnee posted:

I am legitimately curious to see what CI has to say in 3 hours

His inner accelerationist has probably laughed itself to death.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ocrumsprug posted:

His inner accelerationist has probably laughed itself to death.

I know I'm on my 7th equal parts negroni

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
The important question, what does this mean for interest rates, especially if Trump is able to follow through on scrapping trade deals.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Wasting posted:

The important question, what does this mean for interest rates, especially if Trump is able to follow through on scrapping trade deals.

Possibly the only good thing to come out of this is that the dollar is going to collapse which should run up inflation in the US which will finally force the feds to raise rates much quicker.
Even more than that really we can expect interbank loaning to seize up, at least temporarily, which will also increase mortgage rates.
This'll also relieve economic pressure off of China as the yuan will be passively devalued (relative to the euro and yen, which are the two rates that actually affect chinese competitiveness) without panic that has accompanied active devaluations. This should prop up exports and relieve some of that giant chinese capacity overhang. Whether that causes the chinese to launder less or more money out of their country is beyond me.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Once every 8 years or so we get a nice reminder that errors are often highly correlated in the real world. Last time it was the GFC, this time Trump.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Wasting posted:

you should prob lock in your mortgage rate asap

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Still can't tell who's worse, yanks or canucks.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol

:negative:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Time to put accelerationism to test

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Great time to buy! Prices are only going to go up as the Trump exodus hits Canada!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I saw last night that oil prices started plunging again and I wondered if it was gonna poo poo on our economy some more, but it looks like those prices have stabilized.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

quote:

What does a Trump victory mean for Australia?

Aside from the potential for an influx of immigration applications – how else are Australians likely to be affected by the Trump victory?

REA Group Chief Economist Nerida Conisbee says the results of the Presidential Election will hit the financial market first.

“Financial markets are highly volatile as people can sell and buy very quickly,” Conisbee says.

“More people will look to put their money in readily available ‘safe’ investments.”

Conisbee says in a couple of weeks, property values in the US are likely to fall in the same way they did in England following Brexit – which could mean Americans looking to Australia to invest in property.

“In uncertain markets, people don’t like to buy,” she says.

“People in the US are likely to look to look to safe haven markets – Australia will be a beneficiary of this as it is considered to be one of the safest markets in the world.”

http://www.realestate.com.au/news/americans-want-to-move-to-australia-as-trump-becomes-president/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Aside from the potential for an influx of immigration applications – how else are Australians likely to be affected by the Trump victory?

Haha what

Are these people fleeing to Australia because Trump isn't racist enough for them?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Haha what

Are these people fleeing to Australia because Trump isn't racist enough for them?

It's because everyone thinks that their country is the worst.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Namaste indeed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Jordan7hm posted:

It's because everyone thinks that their country is the worst.

I don't? I'm like 100% certain that Australia is worse than Canada.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
More sun but more racist. Worse housing bubble.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

namaste faggots posted:

More sun but more racist. Worse housing bubble.

Excuse me our housing bubble is the best in the world.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

Just a reminder for tomorrow folks, if you do have cash money to put aside for your retirement fund, it's going to be a great opportunity to buy at a discount.

Or... not?

Apparently Trump is good and nothing makes sense anymore in the year 2016.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Butcher posted:

Or... not?

Apparently Trump is good and nothing makes sense anymore in the year 2016.

I no longer trust general economic principles or object permanence.

:iiam: how the world works again.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ocrumsprug posted:

I no longer trust general economic principles or object permanence.

:iiam: how the world works again.

Keep Calm
And
Buy Real Estate

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
gently caress everything you think you know or understand. TRUMP!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Keep Calm
And
Buy Real Estate

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

everyone was in cash in case of this scenario (or a contested election)

it's gonna be a slow slide down