Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I assume the reason the forums are going so slow right now is because they're being hammered by D&D posts just like they were during the debates. I am annoyed by this because I'm trying to get feedback on my amateur videogame dangit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to buy a VR something and live in the virtual world from now on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

So, to elaborate on FirstAidKite's concern, here's what I have planned for both sides of the game:

The idle game: The player earns EXP and coins every second or two as a bar in the top left fills up (you can see it in the gifs I posted). With EXP, the player levels up, which unlocks new idle game upgrades (make the bar go faster, earn more EXP when it fills up etc) that are bought with coins. In addition, the player gets a small boost to their EXP gain speed when they're in their house at the town instead of the dungeon. This is where the idle game side really comes in- the player can buy a bunch of different upgrades for their house with coins that change its appearance, the bonuses you get from stopping by there, and how many coins you earn when the bar fills up. Generally the house improvement is cosmetic stuff, but you can unlock unique equipment for upgrading stuff around the house to max.

The dungeon crawler: The dungeon is where the main gameplay is. Presented as a side-scroller, the player earns EXP and coins from defeating monsters. Each floor of the dungeon gets progressively more difficult, but with better rewards. The goal is to reach the bottom for phat loot or something. On this side of the game, the player's EXP level affects the supplies they can purchase from the blacksmith in town with coins. Generally, it's faster to gain EXP and coins by beating up monsters than just idling until the house has significant upgrades. The player's level also gives them a boost or detriment to damage dealt, depending on what floor they're on- this is how I plan on gating the game's progress by the player's level, but never in a way that requires the player to resort to sitting in the house doing nothing unless that's what they want to do.

Thoughts? Opinions?

So how is the dungeon crawling, exactly? Deep Dungeons of Doom? Megaman/Shovel Knight? Will the dungeons be separate affairs or connected ala Metroidvanias?

I love the idea of the idle gameplay - especially if you add a component where it'll still gain coins if the game is off (at a reduced rate perhaps) but I won't spend much time with it if the dungeon crawling isn't satisfying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you are feeling stressed by the election, come chill out and watch me play bloodborne instead, you deserve it!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am going to play video games in bed with my wife and take drugs to avoid thinking about what is happening tonight in America

Be good everyone. :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

If you are feeling stressed by the election, come chill out and watch me play bloodborne instead, you deserve it!

:yeah:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

I am going to play video games in bed with my wife and take drugs to avoid thinking about what is happening tonight in America

Be good everyone. :(

This sounds rather dire. But with a slight alteration to your post...

precision posted:

I am going to play video games in bed with my wife and take drugs

Suddenly the world is bright and good! Stay cool gamer, life will go on :cheerdoge:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm going to buy a VR something and live in the virtual world from now on.
you can't live without food and clean water, silly :rip:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I kind of wish right now there was something out there like DFO only without the daily play limit

Yeah I know that's per character but it still chaps my butt because FFXIV has spoilt me against the concept of alts

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Today we are all SammyClassicSonicFan.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

To be fair, it doesn't end there even if it feels like it will

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This is the part where Gumshoe dramatically bursts in with all the early votes

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Looper posted:

This is the part where Gumshoe dramatically bursts in with all the early votes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So the XX equaled 17 in all of those post apocalyptic games that took place in 20XX. Good to finally know I guess :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Fuckin hell... i dont wanna work tomorrow... just ugh with today

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Trump tower just hit America. Rip US. Also Rip the entire perma-toxxed Hillary thread.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I cannot loving believe the 45th President of the United States is Donald Trump

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

I cannot loving believe the 45th President of the United States is Donald Trump

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They named the 45th US President Donald Trump.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I mean there was also the whole Al Gore thing, so

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
god loving damnit every time I think about this I want to cry. what should I play so I don't think about this because I sure as hell ain't falling asleep anytime soon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
trapped in the dark world without a magic mirror

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played binding of Isaac while listening to a comedy podcast, maybe it'll work for you too?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Friends, we face harsh times ahead, but I promise that together we can weather this. Please, remember that I am thinking of you, wherever you are, and I and wishing for the best of luck. We will get through this. We will be able to breach this fog that clouds the next four years, and we will come out on top in due time with due effort.

Please, stay strong everybody, and stay safe.

Good night, and good luck.

I'm going to Denny's.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Friends, we face harsh times ahead, but I promise that together we can weather this. Please, remember that I am thinking of you, wherever you are, and I and wishing for the best of luck. We will get through this. We will be able to breach this fog that clouds the next four years, and we will come out on top in due time with due effort.

I'm going to Denny's.

For real though gently caress the GOP.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Steam should run a fascist games sale now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah for real, I usually act like a rudeboy on these forums but if you feel potentially victimized by any of Trump's policies or idealogies, we should be friends. We'll get through this

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
We can relax, it's all part of his plan
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/796268941194579968

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bring on the death stranding.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Look, I know turning America fascist in Hearts of Iron 4 is fun and all, but this is ridiculous

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I finished my Bloodborne stream and this is the news I come back to! I said it on twitter but I'll say it here too, I agree with FirstAidKite. Things may look dire, but we'll all be okay. It's a dark time, but I've seen darker. I've seen probably the darkest thing a person can experience*, and it's not fun. But it's worse than this, and I survived it. If I survived, you can too! We'll all survive it together.

*real personal stuff when I was 16 I tried to kill myself and I almost succeeded! My teenage years were very grim for my family life and I was bullied real bad in high school for being skinny and gay. I've come to terms with my decision now though, and I've mostly moved past it. I will never forget the pitch blackness I saw and felt, it's honestly probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced. So now, in the face of crazy batshit adversity like Trump, I say nuts to it. I'm not afraid.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm going to Denny's.

Thanks and i love you all goons. I like this chat thread you guys are cool and good

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

*real personal stuff when I was 16 I tried to kill myself and I almost succeeded! My teenage years were very grim for my family life and I was bullied real bad in high school for being skinny and gay. I've come to terms with my decision now though, and I've mostly moved past it. I will never forget the pitch blackness I saw and felt, it's honestly probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced. So now, in the face of crazy batshit adversity like Trump, I say nuts to it. I'm not afraid.

I appreciate this, this makes me feel very hopeful about the future, or at least my future, thank you :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I finished my Bloodborne stream and this is the news I come back to! I said it on twitter but I'll say it here too, I agree with FirstAidKite. Things may look dire, but we'll all be okay. It's a dark time, but I've seen darker. I've seen probably the darkest thing a person can experience*, and it's not fun. But it's worse than this, and I survived it. If I survived, you can too! We'll all survive it together.

TIL CJacobs is gay.

• Locked thread