Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
holy poo poo.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol:

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
That's not funny. :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The stars are wrong

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The stars are wrong

The fault, metal geir whatever, is not in the stars.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No, the fault is in electing Senator Armstrong.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Heh. If you think he ever played football.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I would legit vote for Armstrong as president. Bonus points if he brings his giant robot spider to the presidential debates.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least Armstrong believed in something beside himself :shrug:

Also, it was a giant ant.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gorilla Salad posted:

At least Armstrong believed in something beside himself :shrug:

Also, it was a giant ant.

At least we know election day isn't rigged.

But I would totally vote for a president with a giant robot anything.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wolf/Armstrong 2020

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sanders Hindsight 2020

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That genuinely made me laugh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

That genuinely made me laugh.

I don't know what's happening.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know what's happening.

You know those bars you put between your stuff and the next person at the supermarket? Those control the automatic movement of the conveyor belt.

That system thinks the Toblerone is one of those bars, so it stopped the conveyor.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

You know those bars you put between your stuff and the next person at the supermarket? Those control the automatic movement of the conveyor belt.

That system thinks the Toblerone is one of those bars, so it stopped the conveyor.

The belt is controlled by a simple beam that gets broken by anything. It doesn't require a bar. The joke is that the cashier thought the Toblerone was one of those bars and was about to place it on the rack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Nah, generally the sensor is just looking for anything in the way - but the shape and placement did trip up the cashier who thought it was one of those dividers.

e: beaten like someone's gonna get beat with that sack of oranges.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Auto-belt is just an (un)broken light beam. The joke is the cashier thought it was a divider bar for a moment.

e: beaten here, the house, the senate, etc...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Those things are automatic? I'm pretty sure the cashier can manually make them advance and stop, like with a foot pedal or something.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They are definitely automatic.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Random Stranger posted:

The belt is controlled by a simple beam that gets broken by anything. It doesn't require a bar. The joke is that the cashier thought the Toblerone was one of those bars and was about to place it on the rack.

Well, poo poo, my lack of experience working as a cashier is showing :v:

Throatwarbler posted:

Those things are automatic? I'm pretty sure the cashier can manually make them advance and stop, like with a foot pedal or something.

These are not mutually exclusive. Most of the ones I have seen have a pedal/switch, but if your stuff is about to hit the end(and thus maybe get pulled down by the bag) they will cut off on their own.

I just thought the bar thing had more significance in the process.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Throatwarbler posted:

Many models, some do both, some do either or.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

RCarr posted:

They are definitely automatic.

I'm 200% sure it's not, they just have controls hidden.

I'm sad that I posted the wrong version, the smile is the best in the original

http://i.imgur.com/dKtF1rV.mp4

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Throatwarbler posted:

You're thinking of automobiles.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Throatwarbler posted:

They are semi-automatic I think. It's not entirely sensor-based, because I've seen them hold put with 3/4 of the track empty and then when the cashier notices it starts again, while sometimes it's going as fast as they can do it. So like automatic but with a "hold" button if some rear end in a top hat is taking too long to bag his groceries and you don't want people crowding that guy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

hillo posted:

I'm 200% sure it's not, they just have controls hidden

They have controls to turn on the automatic operation of the belts. The cashiers are not pressing a button to stop the belt every time an item gets close to the end. You think cashiers are pressing a hidden button 20+ times for every customer that puts his groceries on the conveyor?

Even in the video you can see she doesn't touch anything and the belt automatically moves again when the end is clear.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

hillo posted:

You're all retards. Every single one of you. On most, there's a switch that enables the automatic advancement. When the switch is off, they can advance it manually with a button. Some, like the customer ones at winco, are manual-only.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

hillo posted:

I'm sad that I posted the wrong version, the smile is the best in the original

http://i.imgur.com/dKtF1rV.mp4

Then you're 166.69420% wrong. Modern equipment is automatic, but the automatic system can be turned off, or overridden.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

David Mitchell is in there moving the track forward.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The conveyor belt isn't some kind of alien space technology, it's just a little motor with a little switch and an optional automatic mode that is controlled by a light beam, jesus

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

The bars are so you can distinguish your total food purchase from items belonging to the person behind you.
Obviously you wouldn't want to pay for that person's food, so you use the bar to signify where your purchase ends.

Thus the onus is on putting the bar behind your items. #correctthelineup

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
But can a plane take off from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but could a plane take off on it?

edit: bitch

• Locked thread