Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Friends, we face harsh times ahead, but I promise that together we can weather this. Please, remember that I am thinking of you, wherever you are, and I and wishing for the best of luck. We will get through this. We will be able to breach this fog that clouds the next four years, and we will come out on top in due time with due effort.

Please, stay strong everybody, and stay safe.

Good night, and good luck.

I'm going to Denny's.

This. Video games will keep us together.

Lizard Wizard posted:

For real though gently caress the GOP.

This too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

TIL CJacobs is gay.

Well I'm halfway there. But yeah, it's not something I share often (not the gay thing, the other thing) because from my experience it kinda changes how people think of me. But it's really important to me that I try to help keep people from losing their heads and if sharing that bit of myself will help then I'll do it. I was gonna talk about it at the end of the Bloodborne stream but it didn't feel appropriate.

edit

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

I appreciate this, this makes me feel very hopeful about the future, or at least my future, thank you :unsmith:

You're welcome. One thing I learned from the experience is that even the worst, shittiest, most awful stuff will eventually pass as long as you're persistent. Maintaining your hope (or regaining it if you lost it) is the first step.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

You're welcome. One thing I learned from the experience is that even the worst, shittiest, most awful stuff will eventually pass as long as you're persistent. Maintaining your hope (or regaining it if you lost it) is the first step.

You sir are truly a surprising beacon of light during this time.

Again I thank you so much.

Are you friends with my fiance FirstAidKite on steam, we should talk some time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm not! Tell him to link his steam profile or PM it to me and I'll add him. :)

edit: Or just add me that works too

edit again: vvv Cool, I'm going to bed pretty soon but I'll accept it next time I'm online. Message me whenever you wanna chat I'm always available

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 9, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'll add you when we're back home.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stay safe people, all Papers, Please! jokes aside, this isn't the end, it's just another chapter, keep on trucking and doing your thing, living your life and reaching your goals. Also games are cool, all glory to Arstotzka!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

I finished my Bloodborne stream and this is the news I come back to! I said it on twitter but I'll say it here too, I agree with FirstAidKite. Things may look dire, but we'll all be okay. It's a dark time, but I've seen darker. I've seen probably the darkest thing a person can experience*, and it's not fun. But it's worse than this, and I survived it. If I survived, you can too! We'll all survive it together.

*real personal stuff when I was 16 I tried to kill myself and I almost succeeded! My teenage years were very grim for my family life and I was bullied real bad in high school for being skinny and gay. I've come to terms with my decision now though, and I've mostly moved past it. I will never forget the pitch blackness I saw and felt, it's honestly probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced. So now, in the face of crazy batshit adversity like Trump, I say nuts to it. I'm not afraid.

I'm glad you didn't and thanks for sharing. It made me feel better and made me remember some of the similar terrifying poo poo I've been through in my life and survived. We'll get through this.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

I finished my Bloodborne stream and this is the news I come back to! I said it on twitter but I'll say it here too, I agree with FirstAidKite. Things may look dire, but we'll all be okay. It's a dark time, but I've seen darker. I've seen probably the darkest thing a person can experience*, and it's not fun. But it's worse than this, and I survived it. If I survived, you can too! We'll all survive it together.

*real personal stuff when I was 16 I tried to kill myself and I almost succeeded! My teenage years were very grim for my family life and I was bullied real bad in high school for being skinny and gay. I've come to terms with my decision now though, and I've mostly moved past it. I will never forget the pitch blackness I saw and felt, it's honestly probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced. So now, in the face of crazy batshit adversity like Trump, I say nuts to it. I'm not afraid.

Holy drat, homie. I didn't know you were coming from there. I'll share a little something too. I also came from a dark place but definitely not as dark as where you were. Dark thoughts also crossed my mind but I turned away from that and pulled myself up. Through persistence and sheer force of will, I managed to go fom 295lbs to 200. Still got some fat on me but I'm more fit than I've ever been. Went from very nearly having to go on high blood pressure medicine to having a regular BP. Went from getting winded from walking down the street to being able to participate in a Tough Mudder run. Say what you will about those "mud runs" being just a trendy thing but I'd have never been able take part nor have the wherewithal to do one if I had kept on my downward slide.

Don't be afraid people. Keep that chin up because we're going to have to face this storm eyes forward and head on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy drat, homie. I didn't know you were coming from there. I'll share a little something too. I also came from a dark place but definitely not as dark as where you were. Dark thoughts also crossed my mind but I turned away from that and pulled myself up. Through persistence and sheer force of will, I managed to go fom 295lbs to 200. Still got some fat on me but I'm more fit than I've ever been. Went from very nearly having to go on high blood pressure medicine to having a regular BP. Went from getting winded from walking down the street to being able to participate in a Tough Mudder run. Say what you will about those "mud runs" being just a trendy thing but I'd have never been able take part nor have the wherewithal to do one if I had kept on my downward slide.

Don't be afraid people. Keep that chin up because we're going to have to face this storm eyes forward and head on.

Impressive! I know I certainly don't have commitment like that in me, I have a hard time finishing a let's play, let alone doing anything physical regularly. :v:

edit: If anyone wants it I'll put up a video on my YT channel talking more about my experience while I play a game or something, it's a pretty grim story but I have managed to turn it into a positive part of my life.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 9, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A remider that the guy who Trump Toxxed in the Steam thread just won $720 worth of games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Video games always win!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Morning Games Chat, Hope Amerigoons are doing okay.
Take care of yourselves and each other and play games.

I started using backloggery to try and tackle my expanding list-o-games and a random steam game picker to help focus on one at a time.
Momodora was up first and I finished it pretty quickly, it's a real good game. Dark Souls 3 came up next so I'll pick up where I left off.

PS4Pro is arriving today, I'm still a little unsure on what to pick up first.

Be safe!

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 9, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Made the video anyway, it's about half an hour long and I ramble a bit cuz I didn't make any script or notes, but playing live was the only way I could keep my thoughts formulated and I said what I wanted to say. It'll be up soon.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't sleep knowing America willingly elected a racist, misogynistic dictator as President.

Please, stay safe everyone.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Made the video anyway, it's about half an hour long and I ramble a bit cuz I didn't make any script or notes, but playing live was the only way I could keep my thoughts formulated and I said what I wanted to say. It'll be up soon.

I added you :)

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Just... everybody make sure to take time to chill and play games. This is a dark day for a lot of us (myself included,) but we've got games, friends, and family... and that kind beats whatever poo poo the world throws at us. I know I'm here if any people need it, 100%. I know I'm not known or popular or whatever, but I can be a friend if you need one.

Let's play some loving games and try to ignore the world a little bit. I think we all kind of need it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You're a cool dude. Thanks for sharing this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sweet, I'll add you back tomorrow, winding down for the night with some Bloodborne while the video renders so I'm not at my PC atm. You or your fiance can shoot me a message any time!

Golden Goat posted:

You're a cool dude. Thanks for sharing this.

No problem. I found out a long time ago that I'm good with appeals to emotion, so I take the opportunities where I can get them!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi everyone. i'm a nonbinary idiot who is glad they didn't participate in any toxxing. i'm happy for blattdorf. i have a lot to process this week but i'm on a trip to minneapolis where i will get to hang out with my friends! tomorrow we're going to see an opera rehearsal night! i will probably try and see kubo and the two strings at the second run theater, if it's still running.

a fire has awoken in a lot of people last night. it should have been lit months ago, but now the fight is real and everyone is going to play a role. protect what's close to you! don't let hate win. love thy neighbor. and continue to make your voice heard. you may need to get out there and protest at some point! don't think just about your own self-interests but the people who stand to lose so much more

since all of that is still a couple of months away, play a videogame. might i recommend: Picross 3D Round 2? I finished it yesterday. unfortunately, there's no Random mode. I may have to go back to Picross 3D 1 and play random mode again. Maybe it will feel new to me since it's been so long. I also got a review copy for a game called Cubotrox which looks interesting because it seems to have some similarities to Pictobits which was one of my favorite DSiWare games.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Fpp2VT5lk

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What a neat gun

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have a close friend who's a Muslim and I can't stop thinking about what'll happen to him now that Trump's been elected and it honestly makes me want to cry

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I have a close friend who's a Muslim and I can't stop thinking about what'll happen to him now that Trump's been elected and it honestly makes me want to cry

Me too. He's scared and I don't know what to do. It feels so hopeless.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i leave for my trip in about 15 minutes. i put a bunch of animated movies on my Fire because it's a 30 hr trip:

Steamboy
Batman Year One
Batman Under the Red Hood
Wonder Woman (DCAU)
The Good Dinosaur
Home
Road to El Dorado
The Boxtrolls
The Peanuts Movie
Princess Arete
Fuse Memoirs of the Hunter Girl
Pirates Band of Misfits
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

and a bunch of bobs burgers and steven universe episodes

i also decided to bring my 3DS but i dont know how much i'll game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I can't sleep. I'm trying to be somehow optimistic about this, but...but...so many people are going to be hurt because so many Americans are dumb and hateful creatures.

I'm going to weather this, and I'm trying to remind myself that living well is the best revenge, but -

drat. drat drat drat.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just had to explain to my supervisor that the supreme court positions are appointed by the president, and are lifelong.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
He isn't going to deport any muslims. At worst he's going to put some restrictions on who can get into the country.

I get that you're not too excited about the results of the election, but having a nervous breakdown about an incredibly unlikely doomsday scenario is not the way to go. Relax and play some video games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bad future AD

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

He isn't going to deport any muslims. At worst he's going to put some restrictions on who can get into the country.

I get that you're not too excited about the results of the election, but having a nervous breakdown about an incredibly unlikely doomsday scenario is not the way to go. Relax and play some video games.

not sure "trump is going to pick a supreme court justice" is unlikely but sure

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

corn in the bible posted:

It's unlikely if it's just one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's the video. Please take care of yourself. (TW depression/suicide chat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dOtHyZbNk4

I ramble a lot in the vid but I told myself I wouldn't edit it in any way to really get across the emotion & feeling in my way of speaking. Hopefully that paid off, I know the video is long because I pause a lot. I'm opening myself up to you as much as I can, please be kind!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 9, 2016

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't know the supreme court justice had the power to deport all muslims, sorry about that.

Seriously though, it sucks that Trump won, but I think people are exaggerating how bad it really is.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I wouldn't accuse anyone of exaggerating but I'd say the best thing to do right now is to seek out positive things, recharge and come back for the next election. Worry is completely normal but don't let the anxiety of the current social media atmosphere affect your mental health adversely.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I should have voted for Noctis.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

I didn't know the supreme court justice had the power to deport all muslims, sorry about that.

Seriously though, it sucks that Trump won, but I think people are exaggerating how bad it really is.

they have the power to ban homosexuality

not just gay marriage, being gay in general is a right afforded by a past supreme court decision and not shored up by federal law in any way. so it may literally be illegal to be gay. it'll definitely be illegal to have an abortion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nina posted:

I wouldn't accuse anyone of exaggerating but I'd say the best thing to do right now is to seek out positive things, recharge and come back for the next election. Worry is completely normal but don't let the anxiety of the current social media atmosphere affect your mental health adversely.

This is a good post.

I see my therapist today, and as soon as I'm free I'm thinking Stardew Valley or Brigador or another comfort game.

Also shoutout to CJacobs for that Bloodborne stream last night - that helped. Thank you for hosting it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is a good post.

I see my therapist today, and as soon as I'm free I'm thinking Stardew Valley or Brigador or another comfort game.

Also shoutout to CJacobs for that Bloodborne stream last night - that helped. Thank you for hosting it.

Excellent choices there.

I'm taking a break from most of the internet today and focusing on trying to 100% Owlboy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been playing the Castlevania games for the first time. Well the Metroidy ones at least, I tried the Rondo of Blood remake but didn't like it. Symphony of the Night was literally revelatory though, and I liked Aria of Sorrow a lot as well. Dawn of Sorrow I really soured on by the end because I hated the weapon upgrade system. Now I'm a little bit into Portrait of Ruin and it seems great so far. So that's going to be my comfort game for today.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 9, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Only consoles with extremely tiny controllers for extremely tiny hands will be allowed to flourish in this new America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm up to the Space Pope in FF13 and now I remember why I stopped playing it all those years ago.

• Locked thread