Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

sexy loving muskrat posted:

Lol everything's gonna get privatized

This. Also, I hope that when the Department of Education gets its head punched clean off of its neck, it will take long enough for the body to hit the floor for my girlfriend to keep getting student loans and not need to transfer from one of the best business schools in the country to the state college that will give her a free ride because she went to community college before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

At least now, I get to be the one bitching about the Government leadership.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I think you don't understand something.
I apologize. I forgot that as with the whole campaign, these threads are full of Very Smart People who Know Things That The Rest Of Us Don't.

It' was silly me to question it. Of course it's impossible for a Republican majority to be immune to mid-term voter dissatisfaction because they don't have a propaganda machine and the truth always shines through.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sexy loving muskrat posted:

Lol everything's gonna get privatized

Oh yeah, look for all private college to merge into Trump U in a completely uncoordinated way, they all just decided to; and the DoE has decided that government loans will only go to that school.

Cheesus posted:

I apologize. I forgot that as with the whole campaign, these threads are full of Very Smart People who Know Things That The Rest Of Us Don't.

It' was silly me to question it. Of course it's impossible for a Republican majority to be immune to mid-term voter dissatisfaction because they don't have a propaganda machine and the truth always shines through.

It all depends on how much he gets done in that first two years. If he can keep his base happy there is no reason they won't turn out in their regular numbers and flip some seats.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 9, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

( Bernie 100% needs to leave politics after today. I'd argue he is near 60% the cause of this loss, because from the sounds of things many of the people in the Midwest chose not to vote because they were huge Bernie fans that got led on too long/"Corrupt Hillary". Considering how many losses across the board were at the 1k-2k range, Berniebros did have an affect on this election. As I said, this wasn't a Republican victory, this was a Democrat failure, and much of that ties to Bernie, the corruption scandals, and more I imagine. )

Shouldn't Bernie instead take a greater role in the remaining lifespan he's got if he's the only one who can actually peel those poor bastards away from the Republicans? It's clear that the current Democrat leadership has no idea of how to make these guys vote Democrat.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So has Clinton made any public appearances since last evening? Watching the Dem event clear out last night after Podesta told everyone to go to bed didn't quite cut it.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Cheesus posted:

Does anything happen with journalism in the US? Do they have any introspection with the damage they helped cause with false equivalences and free air time to Trump? Or is it just business as usual coupled with even more self-defanging due to the threat of lawsuits from the PUSA on anything critical?

You'll see a lot of individual journalists and smaller outlets coming down hard on the industry for the part it played in getting Trump elected, but I find it hard to imagine we see a real significant shift in how things are covered in the grand scheme, especially with Trump going after anyone who badmouths him personally.

On the other hand, it will be hard to spin things as "both sides are bad" when one side literally doesn't exist, so who knows.

trash person posted:

Yo who are the Dems gonna run in 2020 I gotta switch out my Hilary sticker that I've had on my car for like three years

It's going to be tough grooming new faces when you don't control either house of Congress, or the Executive to make appointments with. Or most governorships, or most state legislatures.

The Dems really are completely shut out at every level, outside a few stronghold states, aren't they? Does this trace back to the DNC ditching Howard Dean and the 50 state strategy? Feels real bad that internal Democratic backstabbing lead to this, if so.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

So has Clinton made any public appearances since last evening? Watching the Dem event clear out last night after Podesta told everyone to go to bed didn't quite cut it.

she's giving her concession speech at 10:30 EDT

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
in retrospect building your candidacy in no small part thanks to the support of african-americans in southern red states is good for inclusive politics but bad when it comes to the electoral college

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Shouldn't Bernie instead take a greater role in the remaining lifespan he's got if he's the only one who can actually peel those poor bastards away from the Republicans? It's clear that the current Democrat leadership has no idea of how to make these guys vote Democrat.

Possibly. Although there is another guy that managed to peel away those voters in a co-ordinated matter, not just once but twice. And he'll have a lot more free time coming up soon! Unless he's in jail.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SunAndSpring posted:

It's cute watching white leftists pretend like white people in this country would care about class identity more than race identity if we would just pander to them more.

This country is hosed boys. I hope Trump supporters enjoy watching him sign every trade agreement that touches his desk while he does nothing about global warming.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Glazier posted:

Oh yeah, look for all private college to merge into Trump U in a completely uncoordinated way, they all just decided to; and the DoE has decided that government loans will only go to that school.

lmao the Republican controlled Legislative and Executive branches are gonna gut the DoE for army dollars and/or a giant wall. This is probably gonna be the last year public schools can get current textbooks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I said in the election thread last night around 1:00 AM that I was checking out of politics for a while but I actually woke up with a clearer head than I thought. I'm mostly at peace with what happened. I'm sad and disappointed and a little apprehensive but mostly at peace. A random scattering of thoughts:
  • It'll be nice to be able to blame everything bad that happens on the GOP again. Granted it was always them but now there's no Dem butt filling the seat that they can pass it off onto.
  • Interesting that Utah still went to Trump with McMullin being a spoiler. Guess Mormons weren't as principled as we thought.
  • A lot of bigots seem to think that Trump winning means they're not bigots anymore or something? I'm not sure where this misconception is coming from but scrutiny of white nationalism is about to increase tenfold.
  • Trump's powerful anti-reality field is disabled the second he moves into the White House. Once there's no horse race narrative to propagate the media is going to tear into him with a vengeance...like they should have been doing all along.
  • It's useless playing "what if?" at this juncture but Bernie probably would have squeaked by. Building coalitions of voters in important for Democrats and Clinton didn't turn out the parts of that coalition she promised to. Bernie would have suffered with minorities but they have skin in the game and would have came out anyway. The people who needed to be motivated and persuaded, youth and independents, would have been a lock.
  • Polls are useless. All of them. Ignore polls.
  • White men are a more powerful voting bloc than the rest of the country combined. It was naive to dismiss Trump's coalition as "just being white men". They're the ones who came out to vote. We can do better.
  • Accelerationism is going to start looking a lot more appealing to the left. The argument against it has always been "think about the people who would suffer", but that doesn't work now that the worst case scenario has come to pass. The worse America does in the next 4 years, the better prepared we'll be for a Dem comeback. I'm not ignorant of the human toll this will take, but it's going to happen and it's best to be realistic about it.
  • CelestialScribe was a prophet, and deserves to be treated as such. He tried to save us from our hubris but we just wouldn't listen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

At least I live in CA which seems to have much more progressive local policies than the rest of the nation.

Too bad we'll be used as an internment camp in a couple of years

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

lmao the Republican controlled Legislative and Executive branches are gonna gut the DoE for army dollars and/or a giant wall. This is probably gonna be the last year public schools can get current textbooks.

I'm sure Liberty University will write some free textbooks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FizFashizzle posted:

I imagine the dnc, instead of shifting their message towards Bernie sanders style populism, will decide they didn't win because not enough nonwhites voted.

Dicks out for Castro/Duckworth 2020

I think we'll oddly be helped out by the fact that no one can continue to blame the rancor and hideousness that is Trump on "this election". There is now one political party responsible for our country's government and public discourse. We should gain back a bunch of moderates running a comparative no name (because the D bench is drained and everyone is a no name), and...

I can't even keep going. I like our chances in 2020 and it should be an important year but the country just blew the biggest election of my life and I'm not sure we have a path to fix it in my lifetime. Good luck everybody.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How mad is Biden right now for not running?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Deified Data posted:

[*]Accelerationism is going to start looking a lot more appealing to the left. The argument against it has always been "think about the people who would suffer", but that doesn't work now that the worst case scenario has come to pass. The worse America does in the next 4 years, the better prepared we'll be for a Dem comeback. I'm not ignorant of the human toll this will take, but it's going to happen and it's best to be realistic about it.

People say every election "the dems will get it together next time!"

Weirdly this never happens, it won't happen this time either. The democratic party is garbage and the core has no interest is being productive at all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Deified Data posted:

[*]It's useless playing "what if?" at this juncture but Bernie probably would have squeaked by. Building coalitions of voters in important for Democrats and Clinton didn't turn out the parts of that coalition she promised to. Bernie would have suffered with minorities but they have skin in the game and would have came out anyway. The people who needed to be motivated and persuaded, youth and independents, would have been a lock.

More importantly, Bernard would have challenged the areas where Trump was really strong - the rust belt, poorer rural areas - which matters when it comes to the electoral college.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

People say every election "the dems will get it together next time!"

Weirdly this never happens, it won't happen this time either. The democratic party is garbage and the core has no interest is being productive at all.

True, maybe it's not the Dems who need to make a comeback, but there's no structure in place for anyone else to do that right now.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The stock market is fine. Up a little even. I guess the markets are okay with Trump after all. :rip: democrats hoping Wall Street won't go all in for Trump in 2020

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

FCKGW posted:

How mad is Biden right now for not running?

Not at all. He didn't want the job.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

HorseRenoir posted:

The only slim upside to this is that the Republicans will take full ownership of whatever happens next. People turned on Obama hard after he wasted what they perceived to be total control of the government (it wasn't), and I imagine that people will do the same after Trump fails to make America great again.

The ACA is definitely gone but that might backfire on them now that it's actually in effect and people don't hate it.

Accountability for your actions only sticks to Democrats. This is a republican country now, of course Obama will get the blame for everything they do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

An insane amount of the elderly white Republican base are Type 2 diabetic, and as soon as they realize they will lose their insurance all will for an ACA repeal goes out the window.

And since these are the idiots driving up the price of my insulin, I'm glad some good will come from it.

Like this, :lol: if you think the GOP gives a single gently caress about what the voters want at the start of a new term. Apparently you have the memory of a goldfish (like the rest of the country) about exactly how much things like "burn down the entire government in a tantrum" impact them the next time it comes to vote. Any problems caused by repeal are clearly Obama's fault.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can see Trump being an incredibly lazy and pretty corrupt president who doesn't do much. unfortunately the republicans also control everything else.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The question I stew on is how hosed are we?

I'm concerned that the Republican house and Senate will just do whatever Trump desires, because they're authoritarians.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Here we go, boys (and not-boys). Strap in, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

http://in.reuters.com/article/usa-election-russia-putin-idINKBN134227

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Since Republicans have been running on Repeal Obamacare for the last 6 years. They pretty much have to do it now, right? Their supporters would go nuts if they get the whole federal govt and they leave it.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

TheKennedys posted:

Here we go, boys (and not-boys). Strap in, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

http://in.reuters.com/article/usa-election-russia-putin-idINKBN134227

Maybe we will hit the reset button?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

I can see Trump being an incredibly lazy and pretty corrupt president who doesn't do much. unfortunately the republicans also control everything else.

This is my take as well. The true defeat here isn't Trump, it's having a Republican president who can rubber stamp anything a Republican congress sends his way. It could have been anyone.

At least it's not Cruz...?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Lol if you think accelerationism or pandering to white men will correlate to Dem wins ever again.

There won't be an Obama next time. We literally will not win again for another generation. This country is hosed and I hope the Republicans go out of their way to gently caress over straight white dudes, like they always do. You voted for this suicide pact white dudes, not us.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Deadulus posted:

Since Republicans have been running on Repeal Obamacare for the last 6 years. They pretty much have to do it now, right? Their supporters would go nuts if they get the whole federal govt and they leave it.

They have the votes. They have a plan. It's going to happen. Mark my words: next year is the last under your ACA plan.

Starting in 2018 every single insurance plan will be from South Dakota. Enjoy!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Deified Data posted:

I said in the election thread last night around 1:00 AM that I was checking out of politics for a while but I actually woke up with a clearer head than I thought. I'm mostly at peace with what happened. I'm sad and disappointed and a little apprehensive but mostly at peace. A random scattering of thoughts:
  • It'll be nice to be able to blame everything bad that happens on the GOP again. Granted it was always them but now there's no Dem butt filling the seat that they can pass it off onto.
  • Interesting that Utah still went to Trump with McMullin being a spoiler. Guess Mormons weren't as principled as we thought.
  • A lot of bigots seem to think that Trump winning means they're not bigots anymore or something? I'm not sure where this misconception is coming from but scrutiny of white nationalism is about to increase tenfold.
  • Trump's powerful anti-reality field is disabled the second he moves into the White House. Once there's no horse race narrative to propagate the media is going to tear into him with a vengeance...like they should have been doing all along.
  • It's useless playing "what if?" at this juncture but Bernie probably would have squeaked by. Building coalitions of voters in important for Democrats and Clinton didn't turn out the parts of that coalition she promised to. Bernie would have suffered with minorities but they have skin in the game and would have came out anyway. The people who needed to be motivated and persuaded, youth and independents, would have been a lock.
  • Polls are useless. All of them. Ignore polls.
  • White men are a more powerful voting bloc than the rest of the country combined. It was naive to dismiss Trump's coalition as "just being white men". They're the ones who came out to vote. We can do better.
  • Accelerationism is going to start looking a lot more appealing to the left. The argument against it has always been "think about the people who would suffer", but that doesn't work now that the worst case scenario has come to pass. The worse America does in the next 4 years, the better prepared we'll be for a Dem comeback. I'm not ignorant of the human toll this will take, but it's going to happen and it's best to be realistic about it.
  • CelestialScribe was a prophet, and deserves to be treated as such. He tried to save us from our hubris but we just wouldn't listen.

Bernie would of brought in youth vote, but in the primary his tax policy was driving independents and moderates away in droves. My girlfriend was on that boat. She enthusiastically supported Clinton for the election but would have stayed home for Bernie because his tax plan turned her off completely.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Private prison stocks are a GO!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

They have the votes. They have a plan. It's going to happen. Mark my words: next year is the last under your ACA plan.

Starting in 2018 every single insurance plan will be from South Dakota. Enjoy!

Now they got to decide though if they want healthcare to be around their necks.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cheesus posted:

A few random thoughts:

Trump's second term is a lock. Throughout this first one, we'll hear nothing but excuses blaming Obama for why he and the Republican Congress can't accomplish anything. It will be an easily won second campaign, especially since the Democrats won't have recovered or even really tried, let alone with a candidate that can win. Might even be that way for 2024 and candidate Pence.

Does anything happen with journalism in the US? Do they have any introspection with the damage they helped cause with false equivalences and free air time to Trump? Or is it just business as usual coupled with even more self-defanging due to the threat of lawsuits from the PUSA on anything critical?

Outside of a few places like WNYC's On The Media, you're not going to get much real introspection about the media's failures.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The stock market is fine. Up a little even. I guess the markets are okay with Trump after all. :rip: democrats hoping Wall Street won't go all in for Trump in 2020

If he goes tariff war, they probably wont. At the moment they think he;'ll just get the police to kill the poor.

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol if you think accelerationism or pandering to white men will correlate to Dem wins ever again.

There won't be an Obama next time. We literally will not win again for another generation. This country is hosed and I hope the Republicans go out of their way to gently caress over straight white dudes, like they always do. You voted for this suicide pact white dudes, not us.

Considering the world was already on task for a huge recession within the next five years and Trump and the GOP probably accelerating that, why do you not think we'll win? Trump lost the popular vote and he'll have two percent less supporters next time. Trump will be the racist poo poo head he promised to be and piss off minorities while the countries economy goes up in smoke and he and the GOP will get blamed.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 9, 2016

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crowsbeak posted:

If he goes tariff war, they probably wont. At the moment they think he;'ll just get the police to kill the poor.

More bitching about the poor lower class, whatever will they do now???

Surprise motherfuckers, their the ones who supported the Trumpster the most

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Deified Data posted:

Trump's powerful anti-reality field is disabled the second he moves into the White House. Once there's no horse race narrative to propagate the media is going to tear into him with a vengeance...like they should have been doing all along.
I'm genuinely curious; what makes you thinks either part of this is true and/or will happen?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wow Orange County, CA actually went blue this year and it was all for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Post-hangover thoughts:

• As a solidly middle-class white dude this doesn't really affect me all that much but I'm sad for my Muslim friend who got her doctorate here and is in the process of trying to get a green card
  • I am glad Trump made so many promises that are completely unfeasible and I hope his voters hold accountable to those
  • I firmly believe that after 4 years of straight buttfucking the middle class will elect Trump again
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Locked thread