Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
So if marriage equality is repealed what happens to everyone who is already married? Also have peoples rights ever been takem away like that before?

Also what happen to all the troops who came out if Trump reinstates rules against lgbt people serving? Are we just going to lose 5% or more of the military over night?

Im takeing off work today to get passport and birth certificate's gender markers updated. If i do tjst am i safe legally at least or can Trump make me a male again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's going to be hard to put that genie back in the bottle but please believe a poo poo ton of "religious freedom" laws coming down the pipeline :sigh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's too many Reds in the US for us to not get screwed.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Well the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 with scilla for marriage. So maybe as long as no one else dies they will uphold that decision.

I cant imagine the sc will be thrilled with voting on the same thing again within 5 years.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm more worried about the trans bathroom case that's sitting in the court docket right now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pence is vice president and the Reds control the government. Say goodbye to all the progress of the past 8 years.

What can we do to stop it?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm more worried about the trans bathroom case that's sitting in the court docket right now.

Yep. This was going to be a pillar of continued progress. As-is it will likely become a weapon for further striking at the disadvantaged. :sigh: Whelp, time to buckle down and fight, I guess. It was too much to hope that we'd get more than eight years of help from the top.

Pollyanna posted:

Pence is vice president and the Reds control the government. Say goodbye to all the progress of the past 8 years.

Nothing. Or at least no more than you can always do-- write your legislators for what little it matters. One small spot of hope is that big anti-gay initiatives are very unpopular in the corporate world, and it's corporate republicans who still hold most of the legislature. It won't keep them from hurting us in new and imaginative ways, but I don't think you'll see a new HB2, for example. (Of course, what do I know.)

In the long run, the midterms in 2018 are going to be a slaughter again. 2020 is when we're looking at potentially capitalizing on the advantages of being not just the opposition but Trump's opposition. And considering redistricting in 2020, that's for all the marbles.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Fighting back. Taking to the streets if needed. Moaning on an Internet forum - while cathartic - doesn't mean anything if you don't put your money where your mouth is. Like I said last night now isn't the time for despair now is the time to roll up our sleeves and get ready to fight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Fighting back. Taking to the streets if needed. Moaning on an Internet forum - while cathartic - doesn't mean anything if you don't put your money where your mouth is. Like I said last night now isn't the time for despair now is the time to roll up our sleeves and get ready to fight.

...alright. If that's what it takes, I'll do it. I only ever changed things by doing then myself, after all.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

We just put a man who openly supports the torture of gay and lesbian children into the second most powerful position in our government.

I am so, so sorry.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im more pissed than sorry

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

As long as Kennedy is still on the court, marriage isn't getting repealed. Trans people are probably hosed though.

Small tiny silver lining its looking like McCrory went down in NC (by about 5000 votes) in a state that otherwise went red, mostly down to HB2, so hopefully it will give some red governors a pause before they try to do similar.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

the moose posted:

So if marriage equality is repealed what happens to everyone who is already married? Also have peoples rights ever been takem away like that before?

Also what happen to all the troops who came out if Trump reinstates rules against lgbt people serving? Are we just going to lose 5% or more of the military over night?

Im takeing off work today to get passport and birth certificate's gender markers updated. If i do tjst am i safe legally at least or can Trump make me a male again?

The people already married in states that didn't legalise same sex marriage would probably still keep it, nullifying them would take a lot of extra work. Unfortunately yes many, many groups of people throughout history have had rights taken away from them. In the French Empire the slaves were freed by the Revolutionaries (well most of the colonies were already in open revolt), but after Napoleon came to power they were put back in chains. That's why Haiti revolted and became fully independent. The rest had to wait until 1848 when another French revolution and more slave revolts ended the practice for good.

After independence New Jersey gave some women the vote, only to take it away in 1807. Oh and most of the early abolitionist states had the same standards for the right to vote for white and black inhabitants which meant they had a very small black voting population. But later those states passed laws specifically barring non white men from voting to disenfranchise the few blacks who could vote. Then there was the defeat of Reconstruction in the South after the Civil War.

And of course India recriminalized gay sex in 2013. This poo poo happens all the time, which is why complacency is the main enemy of progress.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They don't have a super majority in the Senate so there's a chance that Dems can hold off the worst of it. However, the Department of Justice and Department of Education are most certainly going to reverse their stance on children who are going to be transgender

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hollismason posted:

They don't have a super majority in the Senate so there's a chance that Dems can hold off the worst of it. However, the Department of Justice and Department of Education are most certainly going to reverse their stance on children who are going to be transgender

Odds are the Republicans are going to nuke the filibuster first thing, not just for appointments but for everything. This is their golden chance to pass everything they've ever dreamed of; they're not going to let so silly a thing as tradition get in their way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember under Bush II when Republicans just stopped even pretending to give a poo poo about fairness and decency. The one case that springs foremost to mind is the Republican chair of a committee who, when he didn't like how things were going, grabbed his gavel and ran out of the room so that no motions could be passed.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This is going to be a tough four years.

But, it is not the end.

The Republicans didn't get exactly what they wanted (Trump was nobody but the people's choice) and I think they will have enough rope to hang themselves.
The next four year will see them work to roll-back progress and enact right to discriminate bills. But the corporate side of the party has lost the appetite for this sort of thing because embracing LGBT makes more money.
I hope that this next four years will signal the destruction of the Republicans as we know them. It already started. Repubs were claiming support for Clinton over Trump because she is still a Wall Street candidate. It wasn't enough to win, but the Right has to have seen the damage the religious extremists are causing.
They are losing younger voters, and, if anything can get them out to vote, it's going to be President Trump.

The next four years will be terrible and maybe afterward depending on the Supreme Court. And we will have to live through them, but I think, if we can make it, the other side will be a slow ride toward progress. Four years is just a paragraph in the next generation's history books, and an embarrassing footnote in a hundred years. Experiencing it, however, will be tough and seem like a lifetime. It will hurt and wear us down, may even kill some of us, but we must push through to the other side because it will get better after it gets worse.

To look at it another way, the accelerationists got their wish. Let's hope it was worth it.

What I hate the most is the validation this election gave every hateful bigot and frightened old, white person. This election tells them that they were right: immigrants are ruining the country, gays and transgenders are destroying the concept of family, health-care is a privilege not a right, and corporations know how to best regulate themselves. They will double-down while the rest of us struggle to progress forward. That's that saddens me. These people had a marvelous chance to grow up and learn some empathy, but now, they have no reason to.

I'm scared for my family. I'm a transgender woman married to a cisgender woman. My birth certificate says M because Tennessee has a law against changing them for being transgender. Luckily my gender has been fixed in Social Security and on my driver's license. The company I work for just announced last month that they are finally going to offer health insurance that includes transgender-related care instead of explicitly denying it. I wonder if they would have done that if they knew who was going to win the elections. I better get my poo poo scheduled for next year, or I'll probably not have a chance for another half-decade.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All we can do now is fight. As long as we know how, of course, because the people have less power than it seems.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Pollyanna posted:

All we can do now is fight. As long as we know how, of course, because the people have less power than it seems.

The people used their power to vote in Trump which no corporation or expert or what have you wanted.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Artificer posted:

The people used their power to vote in Trump which no corporation or expert or what have you wanted.

How much of that was from "progressives" not voting for Hillary because she wasn't Bernie?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

What are the realistic prospects of marriage equality being struck down?

I'm pretty worried right now. I'm moving to America early next year in order to marry my partner. We waited for the Supreme Court decision last year with excitement and expectation, as he lives in a state which didn't recognise gay marriage before that, and then we had to wait some more for unrelated family reasons. I didn't expect this election result at all - it seemed like equality and rights were on the up in the US in general, and the prospect of a Trump victory seemed like some dimly glimpsed nightmare, but now it's real. Now I'm frightened of refusal of entry to the US, marriage annulment, legalised discrimination, everything.

So, what are my chances?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hungry posted:

I'm pretty worried right now. I'm moving to America early next year in order to marry my partner. We waited for the Supreme Court decision last year with excitement and expectation, as he lives in a state which didn't recognise gay marriage before that, and then we had to wait some more for unrelated family reasons. I didn't expect this election result at all - it seemed like equality and rights were on the up in the US in general, and the prospect of a Trump victory seemed like some dimly glimpsed nightmare, but now it's real. Now I'm frightened of refusal of entry to the US, marriage annulment, legalised discrimination, everything.

So, what are my chances?

I called my state's LGBT rights organization this morning and spoke to their lawyer because I'm in a similar position. (Planning on a wedding fall of 2017, live in a state that didn't recognize gay marriage.) They strongly recommended getting the paper sooner rather than later. The gist of it was it'll be a mess trying to annul existing marriages so they anticipate a closing of doors or restriction of access like abortion access.

What's your home country like? Can your fiancé come to you?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hungry posted:

So, what are my chances?

Well, remember that Obergefell was decided on a 5-4 basis with Scalia, so replacing him with a regressive doesn't change the calculus there. Where it starts getting sketchy is if RBG or another of the liberal justices leaves the bench.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The worst case scenario would be having to marry in a blue state, which you should do anyways. let the safe red states be a homosexual wasteland of men going their own way

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

To be honest I'd be more worried about the fact sodomy laws are still on the books in a dozen states, because if they manage to strike down federal Same sex marriage they could do the same there and make it enforceable again. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/21/12-states-ban-sodomy-a-decade-after-court-ruling/7981025/

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Any justice that strikes obergefell will strike Lawrence. Lazy apathetic liberals threw us to the wolves because they couldn't be bothered to vote for their candidate in the primary and then used that loss as an excuse to continue not voting in the general. But hey at least there's more weed. Toke up brah can't wait for the south park about this its gonna be sooo funny.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Little at the federal level. MLK said 'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice,' but places like Uganda and especially indonesia prove otherwise.

I'm lucky to live in a mostly gay friendly city. We're going to push for municipal protections that weakly mimic the lgbtq executive orders that are about to vanish. But we can't ban discrimination at the federal level, of course. And I think the cry of 'states rights' is done in my red state for 4 years, too.

If you don't live in a blue state or in a gay friendly area, or work at a gay friendly company, you're going to have to realistically assess your quality of life. You might have to relocate.

Because remember, it's not just the likely 2 appointments to SCOTUS the Heritage Foundation will get, there's also going to be RFRA at the federal level, too. With Pence and Lively running Trump's (absence of) moral compass, you can bet they're going to push for a 'or any sincerely held moral belief' clause in addition to a religious objection.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im extremely looking forward to 4 years of not being gay at work, ha ha no sir, straight as an arrow, dont fire me

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I low-key came out to my boss today and am relieved to say he told me he didn't care about that, what he cares about the work I do and he'd fight like hell for me if it came up. :unsmith:

Shotgun courthouse wedding is go, not what I wanted but here we are.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I low-key came out to my boss today and am relieved to say he told me he didn't care about that, what he cares about the work I do and he'd fight like hell for me if it came up. :unsmith:

Shotgun courthouse wedding is go, not what I wanted but here we are.

you could always do the actual fancy ceremony later
i had friends that got legally married a year before they held the actual wedding

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

you could always do the actual fancy ceremony later
i had friends that got legally married a year before they held the actual wedding

That's the plan. We've been living together for almost 5 years at this point. It's felt like we've been married for years. This is a formailty

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

You could all join Unions that have commitments to defend LGBT members from discrimination, I know American Unions have terrible reputations but there's got to be some that aren't. Hell my union the IWW has been very active in adapting to its LGBT members needs over the past couple of years.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So, serious question, I am a trans-woman living in texas who just started transitioning a year ago, i'm losing my marketplace provided insurance at the end of the year. I haven't started on my name or marker changes. How hosed am I?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Filthy Haiku posted:

So, serious question, I am a trans-woman living in texas who just started transitioning a year ago, i'm losing my marketplace provided insurance at the end of the year. I haven't started on my name or marker changes. How hosed am I?

i'm supposed to go on my own health insurance during this open enrollment period, now i'm wondering if i should bother

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh, and all the appellate court justices who've had their nominations stalled for years. We're gonna get those vacancies filled with Liberty University grads.

The dems won't put up a fight for very long, because unlike conservatives, they have at least some commitment to functional democratic governance.

e: I looked it up. 103 vacancies that Obama has been dragging his feet on for 8 years for some crazy reason.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 9, 2016

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Aleph Null posted:

But the corporate side of the party has lost the appetite for this sort of thing because embracing LGBT makes more money.

Hahahahahahaha

They only think it makes more money so long as it looks like public opinion is in their favor. US Corporations didn't care about selling to the Nazis until the US declared war.

The Trump presidency is an announcement that hate is okay for everyone. I'm ready for the entire US infrastructure being pointed directly towards the actual genocide of all of us

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Olympus posted:

Hahahahahahaha

They only think it makes more money so long as it looks like public opinion is in their favor. US Corporations didn't care about selling to the Nazis until the US declared war.

The Trump presidency is an announcement that hate is okay for everyone. I'm ready for the entire US infrastructure being pointed directly towards the actual genocide of all of us

I have more faith in Capitalistic Greed than you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mister Olympus posted:

Hahahahahahaha

well, at least then maybe we could have legitimate asylum applications in like canada or germany or something.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Obergefell and Lawrence aren't getting overturned. Toxx me. The right isn't penumbral, or sliding in application, or (arguably) opposed by an (arguably) equalish right, like abortion, so there aren't any edges to nibble away at, either.
State RFRAs won't keep anyone from getting marriage licenses or from getting married, though frustrating delays due to bureaucratic gently caress-gently caress games could certainly happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

I have more faith in Capitalistic Greed than you.

If only greed came before conservatism.

• Locked thread