Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

yes, every republican in congress will be in support of all the wacky poo poo he wants to do because they have an R next to their placard.

they sure as poo poo lined up behind him before the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i'm sorry; i don't want to fight. i'll try to shut up a little bit :shobon:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

there aren't

if you voted for trump then you also voted for mike "gay conversion therapy' pence and david "i love trump" duke

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
sorry guys, it's a bad situation but I don't think that America has failed quite like you have. maybe I'm just an optimist.

people that voted for Trump can be misguided rather than evil, and I'm not willing to say that a huge swathe of the nation is hitler.

and lol if you think the GOP is "unified" in the slightest

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

lmao @USA, just lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Captain Foo posted:

there aren't

nah, there are. people who've seen their livelihood eroded for decades and don't understand why. people who see the establishment saying things will get better over and over while they just get worse. they may not be smart but they're not evil and otherising them is exactly what caused this in the first place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GENDERED SLUR posted:

they may not be smart but they're not evil and otherising them is exactly what caused this in the first place.

QFT

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i'm sure that the people who elected the current death-squad loving president of the philipines are fine people as well

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'm sure that the people who elected the current death-squad loving president of the philipines are fine people as well

is that a real building or a painting? it's gorgeous

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmKdl8qdBM

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

also for severely reduced climate change action, hope that +4 degree is no biggie

Nice gulf stream you got there. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

prefect posted:

is that a real building or a painting? it's gorgeous

it's real. thought it was a painting at first but it's actually a photo. the Pic du Midi de Bigorre observatory

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

GENDERED SLUR posted:

nah, there are. people who've seen their livelihood eroded for decades and don't understand why. people who see the establishment saying things will get better over and over while they just get worse. they may not be smart but they're not evil and otherising them is exactly what caused this in the first place.

even if they're not racist, sexist, torture-loving fascists, they are people who were willing to overlook all of that. they may not be evil, but they don't mind evil anywhere near as much as a decent person should.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 9, 2016

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

it's real. thought it was a painting at first but it's actually a photo. the Pic du Midi de Bigorre observatory

Didn't the Tour de France have a stop at that observatory this year?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol this owns

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not gonna lie this is me right now but thats because of a bunch of mindfulness and anxiety improvements in my personal life :unsmith:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

if you voted for trump then you also voted for mike "gay conversion therapy' pence and david "i love trump" duke

any chance you would characterize yourself as a single-issue voter

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/796213546241626112

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

skeevy achievements posted:

any chance you would characterize yourself as a single-issue voter

no and also gently caress off internaut

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:same:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

no and also gently caress off internaut

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yes, every republican in congress will be in support of all the wacky poo poo he wants to do because they have an R next to their placard.

this, but seriously

i've never been more ashamed to be an american

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

seriously, go back to posting about how great white supremecy is in hacknews

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

i havent seen this video in years but its super obvious now how they made sure that more than half of the "aggressors" in it were minorities

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VgLkk_drx4

World Destruction
Speak about destruction. (x3)

This is a world destruction, your life ain't nothing.
The human race is becoming a disgrace.
Countries are fighting with chemical warfare.
Not giving a drat about the people who live.
Nostradamus predicts the coming of the Antichrist.
Hey, look out, the third world nations are on the rise.
The Democratic-Communist Relationship,
Won't stand in the way of the Islamic force.
The CIA is looking for other detectives.
The KGB is smarter than you think.
Brainwash mentalities to control the system.
Using TV and movies - religions of course.
Yes, the world is headed for destruction.
Is it a nuclear war?
What are you asking for?

This is a world destruction. Your life ain't nothing.
The rich get richer.
The poor are getting poorer.
Fascist, chauvinistic government fools.
People, Moslems, Christians and Hindus.
Are in a time zone just searching for the truth.
Who are you to think you're a superior race?
Facing forth your everlasting doom.
We are Time Zone. We've come to drop a bomb on you.
World destruction, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom!

going out of my mind that makes two of us? going out of my mind
This is the world destruction, your life ain't nothing.

Nationalities are fighting with each other.
Why is this? Because the system tells you.
Putting people in faceless categories.
Knowledge isn't what it used to be.
Military tactics to control a nation.
Who wants to be a president or king? Me!
Mother Nature is gonna work against you.
Nothing in your power that you can do.
Yes, the world is headed for destruction.
You and I know it, the Bible tells you.
If we don't start to look for a better life,
The world will be destroyed in a time zone!
Iæ?¦ in a time zone (x3) Speak about destruction (x1) Iæ?¦ in a time zone (x3)
Speak about destruction (x1)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

seriously, go back to posting about how great white supremecy is in hacknews

keep branding everyone you disagree with a racist to ensure trump gets two terms

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trig Discipline posted:

even if they're not racist, sexist, torture-loving fascists, they are people who were willing to overlook all of that. they may not be evil, but they don't mind evil anywhere near as much as a decent person should.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

Stymie's right.

Those of you who plan to flit away to some foreign nation, as if anything that happens won't just hit you six months later there, with worse medical care and security, no matter where you are in the world, don't let the door hit you where thor split you. raus.

take your lumps, stand and fight. Join me in my resolution to never vote for the Democratic Party in its current form again. Gut that crooked sack of poo poo and let the entrails dry on the pavement, let us build anew. i cannot believe hillary did not even give us a final bit of dignified concession. gently caress the clinton dynasty forever, gently caress the D's, we need something else apparently incredibly focused on working class jobs, and failed at that soundly this time around. i thought i got suckered by getting excited for barack, holy poo poo did i get owned this time

its my opinion that whatever noggin trump has in that weird head of his is vaguely centrist and not particularly horrid, and think he went more right than he even needed to and we wont really see a wall.

the real motherfuckers you gotta watch out for are newt, mike and rudy

e: sorry for jizzing all over the pics thread. long day.

I'll take the other side of this argument. I live 100 miles from the Canadian border, I visited Victoria just a couple of months ago and thought it was lovely. In fact our entire region, Cascadia, is noteworthy because the cultures of the American PNW and British Columbia are very similar. Its basically a pleasant American PNW style city with the crucial difference that it didn't just elect a sex offender as its president.

Canada has better healthcare, better schools, more compassionate people, more informed people. My fiancee and I are thinking about having kids. They'll be mixed raced. Convince me that America is the right place to raise them.

I agree that the current spike in immigration interest is a knee jerk reaction to a shocking event, but I'll also point out that brain drain is a real thing. America has always taken it for granted that they receive the brain drain rather than suffer from it, but what if that changes? We just limp along year after year, not properly educating children, not providing opportunities for people to move up, convinced that it'll just work out and we'll always be on top, always be the place people want to go vs the place people want to leave. If that tides shifts would you hang around? I'm not sure I would.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trig Discipline posted:

what makes you think people who voted for hillary are any less inclined to overlook these things? hillary oversaw obama's foreign policy that involved literally killing american citizens, and was part of the administration that deported more immigrants, including women and children than those before him

another fun fact: obama was against gay marriage until several states passed their own amendments and then his viewpoints "evolved" (i.e. shifted to match popular sentiment)

the lens is already starting to shift to make obama the democratic reagan and it's not good, and people saw right through hillary's false piety

the era of politics where the sum total of your election strategy is "but the other guy is EVIL" while you maintain the status quo is now over and it's time to do some hard work and self-reflection

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol the dnc forced the most unlikable technocrat neoliberal who demonstrated outright contempt for large swaths of voters in swing states on to the ballot and she lost against a charismatic protofascist who offered simple answers to complex problems how the gently caress is this surprising

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
to be fair, this is also the first election since the gutting of the voting rights act and lo and behold trump won many of the states where provisions were focused

if you really want to lay blame for all of this, we need to have a long, hard look at the news/entertainment media and our relationship to it because both the outcome of the election and the reaction to it is a byproduct

the news outlets focused on trump because it netted them ratings and gave him vastly more publicity than he could have paid for and the adage is true: no publicity is bad publicity (in either sense)

popular entertainment media has been fixated on apocalyptic themes and tropes and now everyone is waiting and even wanting to be the next rick grimes, because why work to try and build a better world when tomorrow you might be fighting your neighbor?

elections come and go, and that's all that this is, get ready because there's another one coming up in two years (but you probably won't vote because it's just a midterm)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
crime in the uk went up by 60% and hate crime by 41% post-brexit and still hasn't come back down

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stymie posted:

popular entertainment media has been fixated on apocalyptic themes and tropes and now everyone is waiting and even wanting to be the next rick grimes, because why work to try and build a better world when tomorrow you might be fighting your neighbor?

i had to google that name to find out who it was :blush:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

this is literally true. every #NeverTrump republican was lining up to kiss his feet last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Stymie posted:

to be fair, this is also the first election since the gutting of the voting rights act and lo and behold trump won many of the states where provisions were focused

if you really want to lay blame for all of this, we need to have a long, hard look at the news/entertainment media and our relationship to it because both the outcome of the election and the reaction to it is a byproduct

the news outlets focused on trump because it netted them ratings and gave him vastly more publicity than he could have paid for and the adage is true: no publicity is bad publicity (in either sense)

elections come and go, and that's all that this is, get ready because there's another one coming up in two years (but you probably won't vote because it's just a midterm)

the total number of republican voters has been relatively stable 08-12-16 but dem voters are down something like 11mil from 08 and 6.5 mil from 12 and while gutting the VRA surely had some impact it does not account for that shitshow and all that is left is a garbage candidate and garbage party who promised nothing to large swaths of the american public and got nothing in return

• Locked thread