Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr E posted:

My Pixel order went from preordered to pending this weekend! I should have it by next week. :swoon:

Mine did this too, how do you figure you'll get it next week? Mine is saying November 28-30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

EdEddnEddy posted:

The one thing about OnePlus is their Dash charging. How is that in use? Moving the charging heat from the phone to the charger itself just seems like the best option to prolong battery life overall in all these non replaceable battery phones we are forced to put up with these days.
Dash works fine, it's very quick and the phone stays nice and cool. I didn't buy any additional Dash chargers so I just use my QC2.0 chargers (with Aukey A-C cables) when I'm not at the Dash one.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

ilkhan posted:

Its direct from Google.

That's pretty sweet, I'm finally off the Google -> Samsung -> Telecom ride and I'll actually get timely updates

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10753/the-google-pixel-xl-review

Pretty critical review of the Pixel XL. Only positives seem to be the fluid UI and occasionally better camera.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But now you're on the "some random feature of my phone sucks or is bad" train. Every time I try to buy a Google version of a phone, it has lovely radios and a bad camera. Though apparently the pixel finally has a decent camera.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
As an anecdote, my Pixel has significantly better reception than the Galaxy s6, iPhone 5 and iPhone 7 in my house. :shrug:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Agreed on the PIxel's reception, best I've ever had (along with most other aspects of the phone as well)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know what they are going that they've managed to get the launcher kicked out of memory on two different devices, but after two weeks of near constant use I haven't seen that once.

This still remains, hands down, the most satisfying device purchase I've ever made. I can't even fathom using anything else on a daily basis now.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Just did the update for my Pixel XL that google pushed out today. Previously on the homescreen at the top it would show the Date and Temperature outside pretty large at the top, next to the little swipe out google search bar. After the update it no longer shows the temperature, just the date. I really liked the temperature being shown, anyone know how to get that back?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Refresh Google now, it will eventually come back.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

So I just got my Pixel XL and was wondering how do you guys know when it's fast charging? On my droid turbo it would print put up a little speech bubble at the bottom saying a turbo charger is detected, but nothing on my Pixel XL.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

HolyDukeNukem posted:

So I just got my Pixel XL and was wondering how do you guys know when it's fast charging? On my droid turbo it would print put up a little speech bubble at the bottom saying a turbo charger is detected, but nothing on my Pixel XL.

When I plug it in via the wall charger included in the box and the included cable, it says "Charging Rapidly". Maybe thats it?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

100% Dundee posted:

When I plug it in via the wall charger included in the box and the included cable, it says "Charging Rapidly". Maybe thats it?

That's strange because I don't see that when I plug my phone into the socket with the charger from the box.

edit: Nevermind, didn't realize it was displaying it on the lock screen. Droid turbo showed in when the phone was unlocked and since I was unlocking through the fingerprint reader, I never saw it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My work Galaxy S7 went off with an amber alert today, and I couldn't figure out how to manage the emergency alerts. Do I really have to do something through AT&T to change which ones are enabled? On my 2014 Moto X there are options for that right in the settings menu, and you're even prompted when you get your first one after setting up/factory resetting the phone.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I don't know what they are going that they've managed to get the launcher kicked out of memory on two different devices, but after two weeks of near constant use I haven't seen that once.

This still remains, hands down, the most satisfying device purchase I've ever made. I can't even fathom using anything else on a daily basis now.

I imagine it's some suspect apps. I had it hard lock twice in past two weeks and guessed it was just some terribly coded apps I have installed

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

My work Galaxy S7 went off with an amber alert today, and I couldn't figure out how to manage the emergency alerts. Do I really have to do something through AT&T to change which ones are enabled? On my 2014 Moto X there are options for that right in the settings menu, and you're even prompted when you get your first one after setting up/factory resetting the phone.

I found this post.

http://m.androidcentral.com/how-use-emergency-features-samsung-galaxy-s7

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

HolyDukeNukem posted:

There's an app called Ampere in the Play Store if you really, really want to know what your charger is doing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thanks. For whatever reason, I was only finding instructions for the Verizon version.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In positive news tonight, the Pixel XL is amazing. It's the fastest phone I've ever used. Benchmarks mean poo poo, this thing puts my Note7 to shame when it comes to real world everyday performance. Also the camera and battery life are both impressive as gently caress.

e: Hangouts, Snapchat, Google Music, all fast and smooth, this is a remarkable experience

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 9, 2016

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
For those who got the Live Case, how does it feel and everything? I have the generic black Google case, and it fits well enough but I can't plug in any of my aux cords or anything, which is annoying. The grip is also a bit *too* good, and it's a hassle getting it in and out of my pocket.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

For those who got the Live Case, how does it feel and everything? I have the generic black Google case, and it fits well enough but I can't plug in any of my aux cords or anything, which is annoying. The grip is also a bit *too* good, and it's a hassle getting it in and out of my pocket.

It's very smooth, and less protection because the ports are exposed so there's nothing in the way of plugging in. I like it overall, glad I got it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, this G4 Play is nearly as responsive as the MXP and Nexus 5x. I mean, the screen isn't very good compared to those two and it lacks NFC, but I was expecting a larger gap in performance. I'm sure if I played any games on it, it would become apparent where the deficiencies are. But for just browsing and such, color me impressed for the pricepoint. This is one hell of a lot of phone for $130.

Really, buy a pixel or buy this. There really isn't much point to the phones in-between.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bull3964 posted:

So, this G4 Play is nearly as responsive as the MXP and Nexus 5x. I mean, the screen isn't very good compared to those two and it lacks NFC, but I was expecting a larger gap in performance. I'm sure if I played any games on it, it would become apparent where the deficiencies are. But for just browsing and such, color me impressed for the pricepoint. This is one hell of a lot of phone for $130.

Really, buy a pixel or buy this. There really isn't much point to the phones in-between.

That's really surprising to hear. And nice, the phone is cheap enough that not getting updates in a year isn't a big deal. How is battery life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Haven't had it long enough to really know that much and I don't have a SIM in it so I'm wifi only.

That said, I've been downloading and installing apps and downloading offline music, I'm about 4 hours off charge, have 2.5 hours of screen on time, and I still have 58% battery left.

So, I would say 6 or possibly more hours of SoT is doable with this thing throughout the course of a whole day. Really just a nice little cheap package.

Stock charger is hilariously low spec and will take forever to charge the thing. With a decent charger though, it doesn't take too long (no quick charge though.)

Really wish it was USB C though

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
So what's a normal stat for Google play services 'mobile radio active' stat? It's at 23min for me with the phone off the charger for 6h. Google play services is always one of the top three battery users on my phone. That's while being at work though when I don't really use the screen and the reception is kinda poo poo. Was just wondering if you guys have similar stats or if there is something fishy going on.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Reception being poo poo is a big killer of battery for me, both on my old phone and my new 5x. I've got into the habit of putting my phone in aeroplane mode whenever i get into work, and the manually enable the wifi so somebody can reach me via email / hangouts.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It sucks and is weird that there isn't even one good screen protector for the Axon 7. They're all jokes that leave massive gaps on the edges. I mean, what

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Alan_Shore posted:

It sucks and is weird that there isn't even one good screen protector for the Axon 7. They're all jokes that leave massive gaps on the edges. I mean, what

Nobody made you buy the Axon 7, pal. If you want mainstream support then buy a mainstream product.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's the best way to transfer stuff off your old phone? It seems like even the people at the store can't do it well. Then again, they probably aren't paid enough to care.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Samsung: Samsung smart switch
Pixel: direct connection
Other phones: Haha good luck. ( Google photos, contacts, SMS backup)

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

SystemLogoff posted:

Samsung: Samsung smart switch
Pixel: direct connection
Other phones: Haha good luck. ( Google photos, contacts, SMS backup)

You can still download moto migrate to do all that for you. It works on any phone. It's pretty easy to use and downloads most of the stuff to your phone hassle free

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

HolyDukeNukem posted:

You can still download moto migrate to do all that for you. It works on any phone. It's pretty easy to use and downloads most of the stuff to your phone hassle free

Moto Migrate is not supported on Marshmallow or higher. So pretty much any new phone won't be able to use it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Mine did this too, how do you figure you'll get it next week? Mine is saying November 28-30.

Mine's saying 19-21st, I payed extra because I didn't want it coming in during Thanksgiving.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

nimper posted:

Moto Migrate is not supported on Marshmallow or higher. So pretty much any new phone won't be able to use it.

Oh that's fair. I completely forgot that Motorola stopped supporting higher versions of Android and that's how they killed it off.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My 128gb Pixel that I ordered on November 1st with an expected delivery date of 11/23 went from Pending to Processing to Shipped in the last 24 hours.

It looks like they are catching up and those initial ship dates were really conservative.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan_Shore posted:

I slam mine around all over the place it will be fine :)

For content: get a case that gives a little bit of a lip so the screen doesn't rest on anything. It's gotten me through like 6 smartphones with no scratching.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Dash works fine, it's very quick and the phone stays nice and cool. I didn't buy any additional Dash chargers so I just use my QC2.0 chargers (with Aukey A-C cables) when I'm not at the Dash one.

Good to hear. After I read about Dash it immediately sounded like the best Quick Charge solution that doesn't just torch your battery to all hell. My only guess is the reason it wasn't what caught on first instead of the quick charge 1-3.0 stuff and Rapid Charging USB-C stuff, is because OEM's don't want your battery to last for more than 2 years if they can help it. Non replaceable batteries for most people mean get a new phone when it eventually dies (Especially in these glued together works of art. :argh:

The one thing the V20 really has going for it, I dislike LG's OEM skin style and such, but man that is a good looking phone with a replaceable battery and everything without the janky G5 design.

I still am a big fan of my old G3. That phone felt great in the hands with the rear buttons and small bezel. If only they could have remade it in metal, with Pixel hardware and call it a Pixel/Nexus. :(

On the Camera/signal front for Pixel/Nexus, since the 5X/6P Camera tech for Google devices got a lot better, and signal on my 6P is way above any other device I have had my hands on so far. Even the HTC 10 wasn't quite as good as my 6P at keeping LTE and WiFi signals strong and fast.
The Pixel looks like a good improvement on all that, but I like others wish HTC has a little more design influence and at least gave it a sort of Stereo Speaker Boomsound setup like their own phones. Though it looks like their production system is still running top notch and learned a bit from the HTC Vive scenario to not set a ship date too early. Set it later, and allow people to be pleasantly surprised when you beat it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My pixel xl came in this morning, after waiting for over a month for it.

It is better than the Galaxy S7 Edge in every way. The only thing I will miss about the Galaxy is wireless charging, but that wasn't with dealing with Samsung's ui/app bullshit.

As a final gently caress you from Samsung, I found out that my calendar entries were not being saved to my Google account by default, but instead to the local phone only. Jokes on Samsung, I don't have any social life so I only had to manually enter a dentist appointment on the new phone.

Samsung... Never again.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Sorry that this isn't Pixel talk, but I got my refurb 5x from Google to replace the bootlooped one, and...it's fine I guess, but I'm a bit disappointed. Mine is pristine, this one has a gouge on the back and obvious scratches around the edges and charging port where they must have pried it open to inspect/fix it. None of it is bad enough to send it back over and the normal non-Goon user probably wouldn't care one bit, it just offends my OCD-ness. I'll probably start using a case again on it just to cover it all up. Crossing my fingers that they're actually doing something to fix the bootloop cause, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can see where you're coming from. It's frustrating to take care of something, send it for a replacement and they send you a dinged up piece of poo poo. They should at least see what condition you send yours back in and send something back that's comparable.