Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FourLeaf posted:

The liberal focus on loving stupid celebrity crap instead of real policies that affect people is why we are here today.

I think it's more a result of the perceptions of global trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

That really is insane.

It's actually like 66M Obama 60M Clinton, but yeah it's still hosed up.

FizFashizzle posted:

I just can't get over all the poo poo that didn't stick.

I mean poo poo he broke an embargo with another country and the story didn't last a day.

I've heard the argument that it was precisely because there was so much poo poo that none of it stuck. The journalists who were covering Trump only had a couple of days at best before a new horrible thing happened, and I guess it's understandable you want to cover the new one. But by switching so frequently, none of the stories had time to really sink in as "holy poo poo this is actually really bad". You'd hear "Trump bragged about sexually assaulting someone," think it was probably a trumped up political attack more than anything, and then feel vindicated when the media stopped talking about it a few days later.

Meanwhile the email story was really the only negative story on Clinton's side for months, and the nature of the issue meant there was a slow dribble of new content ("FBI investigation announced" "new emails found" "FBI investigation coming to a close" etc.), so it got completely drilled into people's heads. In the end a lot of people thought Clinton had this big horrible scandal that would probably have put someone less corrupt in jail, and Trump was sort of a big dumb rear end in a top hat, neither of which is really a fully accurate reflection of reality.

Bushiz posted:

Barack Obama was essentially an epinephrine shot into the democratic party that deluded the DNC into thinking that it was their policies, not Obama's once-in-a-lifetime charisma that people fell in love with. It wasn't sustainable.

People do actually support the policies in the Democratic party platform by large margins. But a lot of people vote for personality over policy (or wedge issues?), and a lot of people don't actually know who supports which policy past the big stuff like "build the wall" (or don't trust them to enact those policies, as I think the case mostly was here for Clinton with democratic white WI/MI/PA/OH/IA voters).

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Squashing Machine posted:

Sorry to quote from a while back, but this is on point. Bernie was the only reason a large number of young left-wing voters got involved in the election in the first place, and it's frankly a shameful kind of scapegoating to try to lay this thing at his feet. The party railroaded in an establishment politician and managed to screw up the biggest electoral slam dunk in recent history, full stop.

Yeah no one should be blaming his voters or him for anything. The Democratic party caught lighting in a bottle twice and many, including me, though it was just a firefly.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah and who the gently caress do you think the DNC is at the local/state level? Did you go join up and volunteer dozens of hours ? Did anyone in younger <40 age groups get politically involved?

No, not at all, not since 2008. Not in a level needed. No one gave a gently caress so why would anything change.

And the you in these sentences is a generic plural you, not pointed at anyone particular.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm seeing a lot of scared people worrying that the ACA and other progressive achievements will be wiped out in the next 4 years. My question: can't the democrats filibuster that type of legislation?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

This is genuinely what white people in the country think about PoC.
It's what i think about you, dipshit.

You only think about race, you have this one-dimensional mind.

Now ye shall reap what ye have sown

This is a reckoning. Trump would not have won without your incredible support for him, which you created through antagonization.

Everyone will love each other, one day. But that day is not today. Thanks to you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

double nine posted:

I'm seeing a lot of scared people worrying that the ACA and other progressive achievements will be wiped out in the next 4 years. My question: can't the democrats filibuster that type of legislation?

Senate Republicans can eliminate the filibuster on day 1 of the new congress if they want to.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

ah yes, as opposed to the Republican focus on policies such as "I hate Obama, also Mexicans. Make America great again"

"As opposed to"? No they go together. While Dems were doing Fight Song celebrity cameos and making Donald Drumpf hats Trump was saying "the horrible poo poo you're going through is the fault of minorities." Even though he's dead wrong about the cause he was the only one addressing the voter's actual concerns and offering a "solution"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

rudatron posted:

This is a reckoning. Trump would not have won without your incredible support for him, which you created through antagonization.

Everyone will love each other, one day. But that day is not today. Thanks to you.

Anyone who feels antagonized by the message "bigotry is bad" is not going to vote Democrat any time soon.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

tsa posted:

Lol.

I honestly don't get the media blaming like at all. Even the Clinton campaign went wtf over the emails, and the media completely ignoring it would have massively backfired. Their coverage of it was almost entirely "this is nothing " when they did cover it.

People are angry and lashing out incoherently imo. Clinton ran a real lovely campaign is the real story, she easily had the most advantages of any modern candidate.

Yeah, the media gave a lot of unnecessary airtime to Trump but at the end of the day it's hard to say "this is the mainstream media's fault" when at the end of the day they came out with a unified message of Trump is Bad, do not vote for him.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pakled posted:

Senate Republicans will eliminate the filibuster on day 1 of the new congress.

Fixed

Pakled posted:

Anyone who feels antagonized by the message "bigotry is bad" is not going to vote Democrat any time soon.

White fragility is a real thing and believe it or not it affects for more liberals than conservatives.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

double nine posted:

Republicans aren't going to bicker and in fight like Dems do once they seize power.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

This is me being major dick, but as much as I fear the upcoming Trump presidency, I massively enjoy the shadenfreude I am getting right now, from posters who posted in USPol saying that the American system is better than the various european ones, because thanks to the power of winner takes all, the cheeto won't get any power...

Well, according to CNN infographics, HRC is winning PV right now (admittably by really little), but got smoked in EC and the fascist cheeto will get ALL the power. :v:

Yeah if there's one lesson I'm taking from this it's that when USPol tells you something is a sure thing, don't listen. Don't listen to polls. Don't listen to pundits. Just vote and always assume that the worst case scenario is a coin flip away.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem is that you're forgetting why American labor failed in the first place.

If you push class identity you will lose because the Right will push racism and win because race > class. Remember the Southern Strategy?

If you push identity politics you'll lose because ":qq: wah, white people are so persecuted now, you don't focus on us anymore, no I don't care your platform would be amazing for me too, you're not sucking my dick while you say it."

You must have missed the election campaigns, people who ended up voting Trump were overwhelmingly convinced that Clinton's presidency would be awful for them, with her selling them out to her wealthy friends and to assertive foreign leaders. They believed she would take away from them the little they got, and lol if you think people in that mind set will even consider some idealistic ramifications of their vote.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FourLeaf posted:

Doubt it. There's almost certainly going to be another recession within the next four years and the party in power is the one that tends to get blamed.

Who do the Dems have to put forward that the GOP can't argue is Hillary's protege? They've got nobody.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah, the media gave a lot of unnecessary airtime to Trump but at the end of the day it's hard to say "this is the mainstream media's fault" when at the end of the day they came out with a unified message of Trump is Bad, do not vote for him.

Did they though?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

double nine posted:

Not if the GOP nuke the filibuster. Which is something neither side was willing to do, but what's loving stopping them?

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
This might have been covered already but I don't really care, but last night and this morning there were some goons in really bad places who were contemplating suicide. I don't know if they've checked in here or not but if we know they're still with us please let us, someone, anyone know you're okay, because none of us want you to go.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

maybe people got antagonized by poo poo like this

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

American has a white people problem. What can we do to fix it?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mister Macys posted:

Who do the Dems have to put forward that the GOP can't argue is Hillary's protege? They've got nobody.

The Castro brothers

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I think it's more a result of the perceptions of global trade.

i think it can be both

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

rudatron posted:

maybe people got antagonized by poo poo like this

Well, it's been proven to be unequivocally true so

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

steinrokkan posted:

You must have missed the election campaigns, people who ended up voting Trump were overwhelmingly convinced that Clinton's presidency would be awful for them, with her selling them out to her wealthy friends and to assertive foreign leaders. They believed she would take away from them the little they got, and lol if you think people in that mind set will even consider some idealistic ramifications of their vote.

I mean what do you want? Shall we do some America First anti-immigrant, anti-free trade garbage?

Everything these people want is toxic. This country is hosed because the electorate are literally stupid children.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pakled posted:

People are antagonized by the message "You are bigoted, because I say so, and I'm smarter than you. Also I'm not going to listen to what you are going to say in response, so don't even bother."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

I think their plan was to get Hillary elected then hope another Obama (Booker?) surfaces by 2024. Now they really have nobody since the DNC is rightfully done and anyone tied to Clinton can't be counted on to win. They needed to start grooming new blood yesterday but nope.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Only another celebrity could beat a reality tv star.

Kanye 2020 looking much more likely now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Stewart/Colbert 2020

gently caress it

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

True or not, people's feelings and especially negative ones are amazing motivators.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean what do you want? Shall we do some America First anti-immigrant, anti-free trade garbage?

Everything these people want is toxic. This country is hosed because the electorate are literally stupid children.

I want a candidate who can explain why those positions are ineffective, and who can also precisely name and describe the issues paining people in terms that resonate with them, while rhetorically leading into a progressive policy solution (that's what Sanders was doing). A candidate who can't communicate is worse than useless, and Clinton is a terrible communicator.

If the electorate is stupid, it's because so are their leaders.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 9, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

rudatron posted:

this is really an impressively vile thing to say

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

H.P. Grenade posted:

This might have been covered already but I don't really care, but last night and this morning there were some goons in really bad places who were contemplating suicide. I don't know if they've checked in here or not but if we know they're still with us please let us, someone, anyone know you're okay, because none of us want you to go.

Yeah that was the worst part of that thread actually. I'm hoping they are ok.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Try empathy, it might get votes. People ultimately subscribe to the heirarchy of needs and when thats not met they start to lash out. Exactly how depends.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Carlosologist posted:

I'm proud of my generation for resoundingly voting for Clinton over Trump. the dream won't die so long as 18-30 continue to move to the left. The DNC needs to restructure itself and make our voices the primary voices, along with those Rust Belt voters that made up the firewall. will that happen without a charismatic face to the party? I don't know, but surely some good will come out of a Trump presidency in that his successor will be more representative of the marginalized similar to Obama. am I being overly optimistic? yeah, but gently caress if there's anything else to do other than organize and hope for the best

clinton's platform was the longest suicide note in history

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

rudatron posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry being black causes you white people so much antagonization. :rolleyes:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Do you believe your actions are in a vacuum? Do you think other people do not listen when you speak? Look at this election, and then tell me that that rhetoric meant nothing, did nothing, had no possible effect.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

yes it is all the fault of victiums of racism that people are racist you stupid son of a bitch

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

steinrokkan posted:

People are antagonized by the message "You are bigoted, because I say so, and I'm smarter than you. Also I'm not going to listen to what you are going to say in response, so don't even bother."

Unless, of course, a leftist says it. In which case you should accept it as the gospel truth.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Glazier posted:

The Castro brothers

julian castro is on the cabinet thanks to a nod from hillary.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

steinrokkan posted:

It's more like, "You can't hang an effigy of the president from your lawn, that's racist." And then that person goes beet red and starts yelling about their rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

H.P. Grenade posted:

Was thinking about this, this morning, and hope everyone is ok.

• Locked thread