Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I know it's sarehu and all but for once I kind of agree, Robert C Martin is a total bozo indeed.

I'm not saying that absolutely everything he preaches is worthless but I feel like Clean Code is kind of overrated.

And my axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Gavinvin posted:

Yeah the only time I have seen this happen was at a small 30 employee company I worked at. We also had a help desk guy join sales, and another become a business analyst.

I worked at a small company and went from junior sysadmin to lead developer so it's not impossible but I agree with the idea of not bothering at a big company

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

It's a skill that benefits from refreshing. It's worth having a small whiteboard around home anyway to sketch things up. And I'll typically write a few practice problems just so I don't skip little things like == that are easy to miss by sight.
Personally I think it's expected that whiteboard code won't compile, so to speak. Writing = instead of == shouldn't put as much as a dent in the valuation of your performance.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

rt4 posted:

Too many people who want to make a better world end up wasting their lives in pointless and poorly paid nonprofit work, whether or not they work with computers. If you try to make a living out of making the world a better place, you're almost certain to fail at both.

Yeah stay the hell away from nonprofits

nmx
May 16, 2004

LLSix posted:

I had an interview with Amazon yesterday and while I don't expect them to move to the next stage I feel like I learned a lot so it was a good experience. They had me do a round of 4 in-person interviews, 2 technical and 2 "soft skills".

I didn't get any questions about Amazon's leadership principles directly

Yes you did. Those were the "soft skills" questions.

LLSix posted:

although my answers touched on a lot of them.

Exactly.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

LLSix posted:

I had an interview with Amazon yesterday and while I don't expect them to move to the next stage I feel like I learned a lot so it was a good experience. They had me do a round of 4 in-person interviews, 2 technical and 2 "soft skills".

Both of the technical interviewers were good. The first guy was great and I envy a little bit anyone who gets to work with and learn from him. His problem was really good and clearly stated. I feel like I did pretty good, but could have done a lot better. We talked for a bit after the interview and he gave me some great advice which I'm going to share with you in the same generous spirit he shared it with me.

He said that when he was interviewing what he did was write up solutions, and all the variations of solutions, to all the common problems he could think of and really thoroughly commented his solution code.
Then he printed off his solutions and gave them to his wife and kids and had them test him.
He would write up the solution to the problem on the whiteboard and since he'd commented the solution he gave to his family they could give him hints if he got stuck.
Then he would practice solving the problems on the whiteboard over and over again.

I think that's really great advice. It's probably as close to a real interview set up as you're going to get at home and will really help smooth out your presentation of solutions on a whiteboard.

I ran out of time on both technical interviews and was pushing the boundaries of the time limits on the soft skill interviews too. I feel like there's really not time to actually solve a problem in a 1 hour interview. There's barely enough time to sketch out a solution that you already know. I really need to work on getting my answers to common interview questions very solid. Having a 90% understanding and being able to derive the rest from first principles in another half hour of thinking isn't good enough.

The one other thing I think I should have done a better job of is to explain the big-O run-time complexity of my solution. I knew what the complexity was and I was trying to describe efficient solutions but I don't think I did an effective job of conveying that information. I really need to remember that from the interviewers perspective I don't know anything unless I show that knowledge.

The atmosphere at the company seemed pretty not-toxic, which isn't what I was expecting. I didn't get any questions about Amazon's leadership principles directly and I never mentioned them by name either; although my answers touched on a lot of them. They're also working on some really interesting problems right now, so I'd be excited if they did decide to move forward.

My Amazon interview was four one on one sessions, each of which was technical but had a small part (~15 minutes out of the hour) for soft discussion. I thought I did pretty well on three of them and absolutely bombed on one, but I still got the offer.

The interviewers were pleasant and nice and had good things to say about the company, and specifically went out of their way to say that their infamous culture problems are no longer a thing.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

When do you schedule interviews if you're currently employed? Just take PTO?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dantheman650 posted:

When do you schedule interviews if you're currently employed? Just take PTO?

Generally, yeah. Sometimes you can do a "long lunch" for whatever reason (doctor's appointment, friend is in town, etc) and still go to work for most of the day but that can be risky if the interview goes longer than they estimate.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Recent grad here. Spent all summer applying to places and haven't been on an interview in 4 months. Even taught myself how to create my own Wordpress theme from scratch to make myself more attractive. My problem is, recruiters loving SUCK. I've been trying to get interviews through them all summer with no luck, but in the past week I've spent on Craigslist, I am now in contact with 3 employers.

Are there any other sites like Craigslist where I can apply directly to companies instead of having to go through recruiters who do nothing for me?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Grump posted:

Recent grad here. Spent all summer applying to places and haven't been on an interview in 4 months. Even taught myself how to create my own Wordpress theme from scratch to make myself more attractive. My problem is, recruiters loving SUCK. I've been trying to get interviews through them all summer with no luck, but in the past week I've spent on Craigslist, I am now in contact with 3 employers.

Are there any other sites like Craigslist where I can apply directly to companies instead of having to go through recruiters who do nothing for me?

You can apply to companies directly. Most companies have a job openings/careers/opportunities/how_to_join link somewhere on their main page. This is Google's job listing. Places like Glassdoor generally maintain lists of job openings.

If you're in college or were recently any professor you were on good terms with can probably help. Your school's career center should definitely be able to help. Even your high school should have some resources to help.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Generally, yeah. Sometimes you can do a "long lunch" for whatever reason (doctor's appointment, friend is in town, etc) and still go to work for most of the day but that can be risky if the interview goes longer than they estimate.

IME that's like 100% of the time. Maybe you can take a half day if they're willing to do afternoon though.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

UnfurledSails posted:

I tried everything: bought a whiteboard, wrote down my code on a piece of paper, reviewed problems I've done before etc. This is all good in theory, and it probably even works if you stick to it, but it also has a lot of overhead.

But eventually what worked for me was stopping giving a poo poo about "how" I do problems and just doing as many of them as possible. The point is not to memorize solutions or to ace the problems from the get go, but to get exposed to many solution approaches, so that you have a large well to draw upon when you are on the spot.

How I prepared for my Google interview:

On a slow day at work, I decided to implement an AVL tree based on the Wikipedia article. I got everything except the delete() function done.

On two or three different Saturdays, I went to the park with some Medium, then Hard, leetcode problems that I had transcribed into my notebook. I would work on one, writing code in my notebook, take a walk and find another bench, and then do another. I didn't bother to test them.

It is very important to exercise your skills and knowledge in a diversity of physical locations so that your brain treats it as something that must be primed and ready in any context, otherwise it will be compressed into association with your screen or desk.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Any suggestions as far as picking a Capstone project for university/college? It's essentially 3 months where a 4 person team commits to some sort of software project - should be 1 person's full time job for that duration. Yes, that vague. Ideally for an external company but it seems like the college is mostly talking about projects with the professors, and its on us if we want something with a tech company. Not sure how possible it is to pick up one of these projects with any company worth their salt. Do I pursue crappy large companies, start-ups with low budgets, take the projects with the professors, or what? My team and I have about 2-3 years experience programming, mostly relating to practical projects and not so much on the comp-sci interview questions kind of deal. How much does it matter? Is it better to pick a large, impressive project with a small unknown company, or should we do whatever crappy job the larger more well-known companies want?

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 8, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ornithology posted:

Any suggestions as far as picking a Capstone project for university/college? It's essentially 3 months where a 4 person team commits to some sort of software project - should be 1 person's full time job for that duration. Yes, that vague. Ideally for an external company but it seems like the college is mostly talking about projects with the professors, and its on us if we want something with a tech company. Not sure how possible it is to pick up one of these projects with any company worth their salt. Do I pursue crappy large companies, start-ups with low budgets, take the projects with the professors, or what? My team and I have about 2-3 years experience programming, mostly relating to practical projects and not so much on the comp-sci interview questions kind of deal. How much does it matter? Is it better to pick a large, impressive project with a small unknown company, or should we do whatever crappy job the larger more well-known companies want?

You should pick something that's actually doable; don't go too over ambitious. Assume that one person will absolutely 100% flake out and do literally nothing while one person will only commit in panic mode at the end of the semester. It's possible that it will be far worse than that. You'll run into serious skill deficiencies along the way, including your own. Three months is not very long at all; pick something like a small website or a little app that does something useful.

Picking something large and awesome-sounding will absolutely always end in tears. Little websites for a church or a small non-profit are a good bet, I'd say; perhaps a small desktop app to track like...a shelter's pets. Pick something that involves a database and CRUD somehow. Doing something with a professor is probably a good bet as they've probably dealt with this before, if that's the default.

There are probably non-profits that would love to have you make a website for them for free. That's why I immediately thought of animal shelters; I imagine a phone app that lets people browse pets should be doable in that time frame and boy howdy would a shelter just love something like that but can't afford to pay somebody to actually do it.

Note that I did >75% of the work on my capstone project in college with a dreadful, awful group so my opinion is very, very cynical.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

This is all very true. As a 5 person team we decided to make a an ambitious and "cool" Android app, even though nobody really knew how to make one. I myself had never even touched code that wasn't C or some kind of assembly for years. All but one guy flaked out (to the point where they couldn't graduate because of it). gently caress that particular period of my life.

On the other hand, I got the best grade I've ever goten from that project, and accumulated tons of crazy poo poo I could talk about in interviews passionately. Challenges, lessons learned, dealing with teamwork etc. This was especially helpful in landing my current job since I had no internships or side projects to lean on. So it turned out much better than expected in the end.

The main lesson is that... suffering is good? I guess?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ornithology posted:

1. Assume your group will be assholes and one person (likely yourself) will end up programming the whole thing. A group of 4 seniors in college with better things to do than a 3 month long project (like interview for jobs, finish final exams) is not going to get anything done, especially if it's a group grade.

2. Given point 1, I would suggest taking a professor's project, and not involve the outside world at all. I think it would be very stressful to deal with an external company given those conditions.

3. Also, don't pick a programming language that you don't know for this project. You might think "oh, these other people know how to program, I could just learn off their code." For my capstone, we elected to go with C# instead of Java, and I went along with it, given that I'd written some short programs in C# at work before and figured I could learn off everyone else. Nope - it turns out no one else knew C# beyond using the winforms UI editor, and I had to figure out how to get source control working, nUnit working, database drivers working + database design, how to get it to deploy, etc.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ornithology posted:

Is it better to pick a large, impressive project with a small unknown company, or should we do whatever crappy job the larger more well-known companies want?
I can't get over this phrasing. As if startups don't have monotonous work and big companies, who could actually scope something reasonable and perhaps even provide program management, only have "crappy" work. Professor seems like a safe default. There's worse tasks than implementing a maybe-moonshot.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

UnfurledSails posted:

This is all very true. As a 5 person team we decided to make a an ambitious and "cool" Android app, even though nobody really knew how to make one. I myself had never even touched code that wasn't C or some kind of assembly for years. All but one guy flaked out (to the point where they couldn't graduate because of it). gently caress that particular period of my life.

On the other hand, I got the best grade I've ever goten from that project, and accumulated tons of crazy poo poo I could talk about in interviews passionately. Challenges, lessons learned, dealing with teamwork etc. This was especially helpful in landing my current job since I had no internships or side projects to lean on. So it turned out much better than expected in the end.

The main lesson is that... suffering is good? I guess?

Dealing with things going wrong is absolutely vital to learn and that kind of catastrophe will definitely teach you that.

Though I'm happy to hear that the chuckefucks that did that in your case didn't graduate. My experience was awful because the person who did the least not only graduated but had a job lined up. She just kind of checked out of the semester by that point with an attitude of "well, as long as I get all C's I'm set!" She admitted to lying repeatedly to the professor about all sorts of things. One thing we had to do was keep a journal about what we were doing and she...uh...well claimed to do things. One guy was both lazy and had no idea what he was doing. What little he actually did I had to redo almost entirely. The third guy would do things when he got around to it but I'd frequently have to do something that he was supposed to do because I couldn't do anything else without that part.

I also really, really hate it when somebody says "well in the real world..." as if that kind of thing would lead to anything other than "you're fired." I ended up taking charge of the whole thing and saying things like "you promised me that two weeks ago. Where the hell is it?" I asked the professor if they could be kicked off the team and he basically went "lol, nah." The project was absolutely loving dreadful. A real job in the real world has been far, far less frustrating.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Ended up getting a second interview with a 12-person web firm in downtown Philly

After my first interview, they had me do a coding assignment in Angular bc I never worked with it, and they wanted to see if I could pick it up. It took me a day to finish it, but I relied heavily on youtube tutorials. Now I'm really doubting my ability as a front-end developer

Have you guys ever been afraid that you wouldn't be able to perform for a company who is showing an active interest in pursuing you?

Ornithology posted:

Any suggestions as far as picking a Capstone project for university/college?

We had to do them solo in my class. Some cool things my classmates did were a program that 3D prints braille phrases, a employee scheduling app, and a card game app. I made a knockoff urban dictionary

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 9, 2016

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Group projects stink. My last semester's software engineering course github activity for our group of six:

That was a rough semester when we had regular standups in front of the class.

Serious question that I've been mulling over this semester, as I've come to realize I'm not a special snowflake destined for greatness, big :10bux:, and that rockstar ninja coder lifestyle:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by avoiding web development as a soon-to-be-grad?
It seems to me like bootcamps especially focus on accessible and "hot" technologies like webdev (and mobile?), although I guess the reason they're hot is the demand is there and, well, web applications are where it's at these days. I'd rather not end up in a saturated field after I graduate it, if I can help it. Though to be fair, my internship was "big data", because I really dig distributed systems (which is where I've been focusing my job hunt thus far).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Smugworth posted:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by avoiding web development as a soon-to-be-grad?

I can't speak for other fields but as someone who enjoys web development this is what you are avoiding.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's plenty of money in things that aren't webdev.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'd say that there's tons of job opportunities in distributed systems. They probably just trend more towards senior or experienced roles, so make sure to job hunt thoroughly to get a junior position and start gaining experience in your preferred area.

I am mainly a web developer. The best web developer positions (IMO) require a thorough understanding of all the systems involved in a fairly generalist role. While I'm not developing core libraries or utilities within my company, I'm regularly working on backend code for a few services and interfacing with all of our data sources. However, lots of web development positions are limited in scope to only web technologies.

The former are usually called "full-stack" and the latter "front-end."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Smugworth posted:

It seems to me like bootcamps especially focus on accessible and "hot" technologies like webdev (and mobile?), although I guess the reason they're hot is the demand is there and, well, web applications are where it's at these days. I'd rather not end up in a saturated field after I graduate it, if I can help it. Though to be fair, my internship was "big data", because I really dig distributed systems (which is where I've been focusing my job hunt thus far).

You're seriously reducing your options; web dev is massive right now and will probably only get bigger. More and more stuff is online/on your phone instead of installed locally. I had no intent on becoming a web dev but that seemed to be where most of the jobs I saw were. Then I got a web dev job.

Web dev has some headaches that are just not there in desktop dev but it isn't so bad, really. Now that I know what the hell I'm doing I'm starting to like it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Webdev has plenty of technical headaches, but they're greatly reduced if you're only willing to support Firefox and Chrome. And, of course, the web browser is an extremely convenient way to deliver software to a user. No installation, no upgrades, everyone has the exact same version, and nobody can steal your copyrighted server code. Just charge a little monthly fee and rake in the cash (or at least that's my retirement plan if I ever build something popular).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It is worth noting that it is entirely possible to benefit career-wise from the rise in server-side software without specifically being one of the people working on the web front ends of that software

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Speaking of webdev...

Any advice for getting into it from a completely different (non-tech) industry?

I've worked through a few Treehouse tracks, mostly with PHP, and am working on putting together a personal site using Codeigniter to have something to show off. I didn't really go the WordPress route, which I'm wondering if I should have, though I think I'm more interested in the idea of working for a company and doing their stuff than creating custom pages for clients.

Do people put basic stuff like code for a website that shows familiarity with objects/classes, etc on GitHub? For example I'm working on a basic CMS system for a blog that stores posts and tags, etc.

I also have a pretty big hole in that I haven't done anything with Javascript, so need to look at that next.

At any rate I'm trying to slowly put together a portfolio and, while doing it, basically work through teaching myself various things. I see new Junior PHP Developer postings almost everyday on Indeed (I'm in the NYC area) and am wondering really what the lower threshold for most of those is since by the descriptions it doesn't seem like they're looking for much. But thinking that makes me nervous.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't use CodeIgniter. It's a relic from the old way of doing PHP. I hesitate to recommend Laravel because it implies a whole bunch of bad, fake-OOP practices by the static methods it provides, but at least it's possible to build decent software with it. It also helps that everyone else is using it.

Yes, it's good to have stuff on Github. Even if nobody looks at it organically, you've got something available to use as a code sample that also proves you can use version control at least a little.

The lower threshold is "can this guy program at all?" If you can get anything done without making a total mess and have basic social skills, you're a shoo-in for a junior position at most places.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 9, 2016

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

rt4 posted:

Don't use CodeIgniter. It's a relic from the old way of doing PHP. I hesitate to recommend Laravel because it implies a whole bunch of bad, fake-OOP practices by the static methods it provides, but at least it's possible to build decent software with it. It also helps that everyone else is using it.

Yes, it's good to have stuff on Github. Even if nobody looks at it organically, you've got something available to use as a code sample that also proves you can use version control at least a little.

The lower threshold is "can this guy program at all?" If you can get anything done without making a total mess and have basic social skills, you're a shoo-in for a junior position at most places.

Thanks for the reply. I've been really hesitant to dive into Laravel because it seems way beyond anything I need to use right now. But I guess now's a good time to try.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I last used PHP about 3 years ago in college, but at the time I liked CakePHP.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

It's worth noting, since this is the newbie thread and all, that PHP work tends to pay less.

At least that's what surveys say but we're in the Trump timeline where survey polling has been rendered meaningless so :shrug:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Munkeymon posted:

It's worth noting, since this is the newbie thread and all, that PHP work tends to pay less.

At least that's what surveys say but we're in the Trump timeline where survey polling has been rendered meaningless so :shrug:

Well, my thought has been - and people can say whether this is naive or mistaken - that I just needed to choose something to get my foot in the door and then go from there.

I've done some other stuff in Python, though haven't touched Django or anything that uses it for web development. But PHP felt like a good starting point.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

It's worth noting, since this is the newbie thread and all, that PHP work tends to pay less

Woops, forgot to mention this tidbit about my entire career. It can pay as well as other stuff, but it's hard to sort out real programming jobs among Wordpress-type bullshit

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

z0331 posted:

Thanks for the reply. I've been really hesitant to dive into Laravel because it seems way beyond anything I need to use right now. But I guess now's a good time to try.

Ok, gently caress Laravel. What you need is a router to invoke in your index.php (see Fastroute) and action classes that take in a PSR7 request object and return a PSR7 response object. It's faster, easier, and does less to discourage good OO design. To hell with all off-the-shelf frameworks, at least in PHP world. gently caress ORM, too.

In Python or Java, you need a lot more support for web stuff because (I think) you don't have built-in things like sessions and access to request variables without at least some framework to run the server.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

z0331 posted:

Well, my thought has been - and people can say whether this is naive or mistaken - that I just needed to choose something to get my foot in the door and then go from there.

I've done some other stuff in Python, though haven't touched Django or anything that uses it for web development. But PHP felt like a good starting point.

Depends on your target market and industry, which you should do some research on. If you want to work for a big retailer, you probably want to learn Java, for example. Small businesses are probably overwhelmingly PHP (Wordpress), though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's a good job board to look at for international or canadian jobs? The boards I frequented before getting my current position are all pretty US-focused.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Monsterboard.nl for nl, jobserve.co.uk for uk, i bet there is a monster.ca and .de as well
gently caress the rest of the world.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

z0331 posted:

One thing to be aware of is that PHP webdev work is often (but not always) Wordpress and Wordpress work is heavily commoditized. That means that the main differentiator in the market is price. So the companies that are successful in that space, at least from an agency/consulting point of view, are generally companies which offer a one-size-fits-all solution to a broad array of clients. Those sorts of environments can incentivize management to keep costs low by hiring at extremely low rates and to treat employees as replaceable parts.

That's not to imply that other languages don't have similar problems or that every PHP job sucks, but in my experience there's more of that in PHP-land (and, increasingly, Ruby-land) than in JS-land.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
PHP is also a tremendously lovely language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

PHP is also a tremendously lovely language.

Yeah I would not expect to find any decents jobs if PHP is in the description.