Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Bandire posted:

My 128gb Pixel that I ordered on November 1st with an expected delivery date of 11/23 went from Pending to Processing to Shipped in the last 24 hours.

It looks like they are catching up and those initial ship dates were really conservative.

I assume this is from google? My December 2 ship date from Verizon hasn't budged :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Luchadork posted:

Sorry that this isn't Pixel talk, but I got my refurb 5x from Google to replace the bootlooped one, and...it's fine I guess, but I'm a bit disappointed. Mine is pristine, this one has a gouge on the back and obvious scratches around the edges and charging port where they must have pried it open to inspect/fix it. None of it is bad enough to send it back over and the normal non-Goon user probably wouldn't care one bit, it just offends my OCD-ness. I'll probably start using a case again on it just to cover it all up. Crossing my fingers that they're actually doing something to fix the bootloop cause, though.

Get back in touch with Google right away and get them to send you another. This happened on my 6P order where they sent me one that was already nicked up a lot on the edges and I had them send me another. The 2nd was pristine so new/refurb doesn't matter, It happens and you should get it replaced.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Anyone else having smart lock woes on their PIxel? My phone basically never locks when I'm at work. In maps I have 2 locations defined, home and work. In trusted places, Home is the only one that ever shows up. Work does not. But my phone behaves as if it's there and selected. What gives?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

nerox posted:

I assume this is from google? My December 2 ship date from Verizon hasn't budged :(

Ditto. 12/9 ship date from Verizon, same as the day I placed the order.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a way to make sure something gets a card in the Google now screen or whatever it's called? I want to track some flights and have them stay in that screen.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a way to make sure something gets a card in the Google now screen or whatever it's called? I want to track some flights and have them stay in that screen.

Emailing yourself the itinerary works pretty well for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Getting an email with the flight numbers or simply googling the flights on your phone does it for me.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

nerox posted:

Yeah direct from Google. I'm on Verizon too, but I don't trust them not to screw something up somehow.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like my Pixel XL arrived. Transferring stuff from my Note 7 as I type. I ordered this thing around Oct 14, iirc, and originally had an estimated shipping date of Nov 23 from the Play Store.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PerrineClostermann posted:

Looks like my Pixel XL arrived. Transferring stuff from my Note 7 as I type. I ordered this thing around Oct 14, iirc, and originally had an estimated shipping date of Nov 23 from the Play Store.

Most of my stuff transferred great, a few tweaks needed but I was impressed. Also transferred quite fast.

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014
What are the recommended unlocked phones in the under $500 price range? Also, how do they compare to the pixel for someone who really only uses their phone for communication and as a mp3 player (with headphones so speakers are not as important).
I currently am using a Moto X 2014 and have been liking it, except for storage problems, so I was looking at replacing it with a Moto Z Play, mostly because I don't really know what else is good.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moey posted:

Most of my stuff transferred great, a few tweaks needed but I was impressed. Also transferred quite fast.

Didn't transfer my apex settings, I'm really bummed. And it's busy installing everything except my usual file browser, and doesn't seem to want to show me the built-in one to just manually transfer from the note...

e: Why the hell don't android devices just loving work? I'm trying to move a configuration file from my Note 7 to my Pixel, and it's just refusing to work easily. The Pixel can't read an SD card without trying to format it, apparently, and I can't just access the Note 7's storage with a file browser despite a popup asking how I want to access its storage when hooked up via USB OTG.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 9, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Didn't transfer my apex settings, I'm really bummed. And it's busy installing everything except my usual file browser, and doesn't seem to want to show me the built-in one to just manually transfer from the note...

e: Why the hell don't android devices just loving work? I'm trying to move a configuration file from my Note 7 to my Pixel, and it's just refusing to work easily. The Pixel can't read an SD card without trying to format it, apparently, and I can't just access the Note 7's storage with a file browser despite a popup asking how I want to access its storage when hooked up via USB OTG.

Your problem is that SD cards are a hacky solution that works poorly. Don't store things on them like a minor configuration file that's probably 10kb and you'll be fine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Try saving the config file to your google drive, then getting it from there. It's what I do with Nova and it works well.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

That said, I've been downloading and installing apps and downloading offline music, I'm about 4 hours off charge, have 2.5 hours of screen on time, and I still have 58% battery left.

So, I would say 6 or possibly more hours of SoT is doable with this thing throughout the course of a whole day. Really just a nice little cheap package.

Could be, it's definitely possible on the regular g4

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They're both 28nm A53 cores, so yeah, they should get similar battery life numbers. The G4 would just drain faster under high load since there are more of them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My PXL is now showing a notification showing chromecast activity, even when the phone isn't what started it. AKA, I send a music playlist to it with the laptop, and the phone detected that and gave me audio controls.

Cool.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

ilkhan posted:

My PXL is now showing a notification showing chromecast activity, even when the phone isn't what started it. AKA, I send a music playlist to it with the laptop, and the phone detected that and gave me audio controls.

Cool.

I noticed this started happening recently too with my Nexus 6. I really like it, especially since my wife will always have struggles with killing casts that she kicks off with her iphone from time to time.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I just noticed this for the first time too. Got home and saw my phone saying I had Pandora casting to my TV. I hadn't turned it on... nor do I even have Pandora installed on my phone.

Wife started it before I got home and my phone just picked it up. Pretty neat trick there.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

couldcareless posted:

I noticed this started happening recently too with my Nexus 6. I really like it, especially since my wife will always have struggles with killing casts that she kicks off with her iphone from time to time.

It's really nice. Some apps are really bad about keeping the notification alive, or even being able to disconnect/reconnect at all (netflix is the worst), and having controls there is nifty.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I still have constant trouble with Google Play Music casting. I start it on my phone and go work around the house and 70% of the time its like its half-connected when I pull out my phone again. The chromecast is still playing my playlist, but GPM on my phone says its on a different song then what is playing and play/pause does nothing.

It's quite frustrating.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

for whoever was asking about transferring data between phones, this might be worth trying

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfonetotal.mobiletransfer

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used to have the same problem when using my phone to send YouTube videos to my Xbox 360. The phone would "desync" and when I pulled up the app again, it would reset the videos on the 360 to where the phone list froze.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How is the Oneplus 3? Checks all the boxes and then some, I just wish there was a 5" screen model. The price sure is right.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Blue Train posted:

for whoever was asking about transferring data between phones, this might be worth trying

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfonetotal.mobiletransfer
I like using my computer as a middleman. I can wirelessly (home network) or usb connect my phones to my computer so I can transfer. For whatever reason, my Note 2 didn't get along with Windows 7 using a USB connection so it was spotty at best. My new S7 works like a charm however.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I still have constant trouble with Google Play Music casting. I start it on my phone and go work around the house and 70% of the time its like its half-connected when I pull out my phone again. The chromecast is still playing my playlist, but GPM on my phone says its on a different song then what is playing and play/pause does nothing.

It's quite frustrating.
I get that sometimes, but its not all that annoying. I suspect its the phone going into doze and dropping the network connection that should be keeping them synced.

As much as doze is great for battery life sipping the same amount of power as a brick, having my phone be functionally the same as a brick whenever I'm not actively touching it for a while is a real pain in the rear end.
Is there some reason it doesn't wake up for a minute every 10 minutes or something? I'd be really nice if emails showed up when they arrive, not when I touch my phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is doze the reason my calendar doesn't alert me if I leave my phone sitting unplugged overnight? I have a daily "appointment" to remind me to take my meds and have had a few times where it didn't beep and I didn't get the email until I manually refreshed Gmail (or a new email refreshed it).

Edit: more like I wake up in the am and watch some YouTube videos to fall back asleep and the alert is supposed to come a few hours later.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 10, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

As much as doze is great for battery life sipping the same amount of power as a brick, having my phone be functionally the same as a brick whenever I'm not actively touching it for a while is a real pain in the rear end.

This.

Uthor posted:

Is doze the reason my calendar doesn't alert me if I leave my phone sitting unplugged overnight? I have a daily "appointment" to remind me to take my meds and have had a few times where it didn't beep and I didn't get the email until I manually refreshed Gmail (or a new email refreshed it).

Edit: more like I wake up in the am and watch some YouTube videos to fall back asleep and the alert is supposed to come a few hours later.

Yes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I slam mine around all over the place it will be fine :)

For content: get a case that gives a little bit of a lip so the screen doesn't rest on anything. It's gotten me through like 6 smartphones with no scratching.

Haha thanks! I always get scratches, even when I'm super careful. I wanted one of those cases where you can put some cards and cash, but that won't be good for the screen at all!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Uthor posted:

You can disable doze for specific apps, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Welp. Turns out Android just cannot manage basic file transfers. Even just moving poo poo from internal memory to another memory device, say, an SD card or a flash drive, is loving broken. Transfers either stop midway with no warning, or the file browsers don't have permission to touch devices at all. How is this even possible?

I'm resorting to using adb pull to move off the app backups and downloads I have on my Note 7. This is absurd.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Welp. Turns out Android just cannot manage basic file transfers. Even just moving poo poo from internal memory to another memory device, say, an SD card or a flash drive, is loving broken. Transfers either stop midway with no warning, or the file browsers don't have permission to touch devices at all. How is this even possible?

I'm resorting to using adb pull to move off the app backups and downloads I have on my Note 7. This is absurd.
Solid explorer and transfer to a local file server or to google drive or something.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

What the hell was on your phone. Transfer worked fine from me from a N6. Were the animes just to big or something?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Works 100% fine for me using the OTG adapter included in the box.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What the hell was on your phone. Transfer worked fine from me from a N6. Were the animes just to big or something?

Same here. The few things that didn't transfer were no problem for me to save to my dropbox and re-download onto my new device. As far as the music, etc that I had on my old phone I also still have on my computer so I just plugged it into my computer and moved everything that I wanted back onto my new phone.

What kind of files and stuff are you trying to move that you're having such issues with?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You can disable doze for specific apps, right?

Yeah, looks like. I turned it off just now. My use case has changed somewhat, but I'll keep my eye on it to see if it works better.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DangerZoneDelux posted:

App backups, comics, music, and movies.

Ragingsheep posted:

Works 100% fine for me using the OTG adapter included in the box.

I'm using said OTG adapter with no luck :shrug:

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Do you have a computer? Why not just move everything to the computer then move it back to the new phone?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

App backups, comics, music, and movies.

I'm using said OTG adapter with no luck :shrug:

App data is synced where supported, not transferred, right? I can't speak towards the other things. Google music syncs, rather than transfers. I don't deal with local media because, as you've seen, it's a pain in the rear end. There are better ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

App data is synced where supported, not transferred, right? I can't speak towards the other things. Google music syncs, rather than transfers. I don't deal with local media because, as you've seen, it's a pain in the rear end. There are better ways.

I used to be easy. Devices used to support drag and drop file operations. They used to support USB Mass Storage. Now everything's hidden behind the broken Media Transfer Protocol and Someone Else's ComputerThe Cloud.