Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I hope everyone's doing okay today, and if you're not, please feel free to post about it as many others have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

bring back burnout

I want to become a game developer so I can do this because no one else will

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

VideoGames posted:

My dearest Humans.

While I'm not an American, and as such held no sway over the presidential vote, I am still one of you. I still feel surprise, shock, sadness and incredulity at the events that have occurred before us today. I do not hate, however, and I do not feel anger. I feel a sense of strength building. I feel a sense of ideology for a better and brighter future growing within.

These next years will not be easy for many innocent folks and they will be fraught with times so trying that you may wish to give up. I implore you not to. I implore that you group together. That you stand side by side and combat that which seeks to tear you down. You are better than you have ever been and you are more hopeful inside than you believe you can possibly feel right now, but I assure you it is there.

Sometimes bad things happen but there will always be someone to stand with you, to hold you up high alongside them and make it through the fog. Hope is pure and cannot be removed. Nothing lasts forever in this world.

No matter what happens you have friends, you have like minded humans with you and not just in your country. There are those in the world who wish to be your pillars when you are feeling like collapse.

If no one else, I will be that pillar and I will help you through these bad times. It will pass and it will get better.

This, I promise.

Despite the odds, this forum has become a bastion of hope for me. This speech, the goodwill in this thread, the RAINN thread in whatever C-SPAM calls itself now...

Something Awful forums, you're alright. :unsmith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry I forgot to post in this thread at the start of the month and it was never in my bookmarks :sweatdrop:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In the middle of the election cycle last night, my throat started to get sore, and by the time I went to bed, I was shivering and had difficulty swallowing water. I am now relegated to being basically bedridden and consuming only tea. Great timing, virus. Thanks a lot!!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Games are good and this is as good of a time as any to game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help me decide what game to play when I get home from work.

a) Civilization VI, probably Prince or King difficulty, nothing too taxing. Turn off my brain and try to let the game's inherent optimism about humanity override my anxiety.

b) Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Because what better way to prepare for the cyberpunk dystopia that a Republican FCC would usher in than playing a game set in a cyberpunk dystopia (tempered, of course, by elves and wizards).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

In the middle of the election cycle last night, my throat started to get sore, and by the time I went to bed, I was shivering and had difficulty swallowing water. I am now relegated to being basically bedridden and consuming only tea. Great timing, virus. Thanks a lot!!

I got over the stomach virus a few days ago, and now I kind of regret it because I'd love to be able to call in sick right now. I got more sleep the night I was violently purging, than I did last night.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Sorry I forgot to post in this thread at the start of the month and it was never in my bookmarks :sweatdrop:

good to have you back

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

I hope everyone's doing okay today, and if you're not, please feel free to post about it as many others have

Despite trying to just move forward, I'm still getting pretty depressed and my brain is still having accept that this is actually reality

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

It's real good but it's not replayable at ALL in the score attack way that Vanquish (and other Platinum games) works and that's a huge draw of those games for me. If you liked Vanquish you'll love the movement system though

Yeah, I started it again on Master and I forgot that the first two missions post-tutorial are basically COD levels with better movement. It's still a blast to play in the last 2/3rds though, largely because it's more of a platformer + gallery combo. Like I would love a game of nothing but levels designed like the training gauntlet with medals and a scoring system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ostentatious posted:

the ending to deus ex: mankind divided loving sucks

collective memory of this game disappeared like 4 days after release. I'm an enormous deus ex fan and I still haven't even thought about getting it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Through simple happenstance, over the years my circle of close American friends has become mostly made up of people who are the most at risk due to the results of this election. Lots of trans women, gay people of low income, non-whites, etc. It's kind of narcissistic of me to make the election about me when it's them that it will affect, but I'm genuinely terrified for all of them. I know there aren't going to be work camps or anything ridiculous like that, but they're suddenly going to feel unsafe and unwelcome in their own country, and maybe even feel like they need to hide who they really are until some of this "blows over". These are scary and uncertain times, and I really don't think the people trying to minimize the significance of what's going on understand that there's no system in place to keep things from getting worse and worse and worse. The effects of the supreme court appointments alone are going to be felt for decades. But it's so much more than "Oh the republicans won again, here we go :rolleyes:" This isn't like any previous election, and what the results say about the climate in America scare me to the core.

Anyway here's a video I found funny because of how stupid it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVeyjr4uWA

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

Help me decide what game to play when I get home from work.

a) Civilization VI, probably Prince or King difficulty, nothing too taxing. Turn off my brain and try to let the game's inherent optimism about humanity override my anxiety.

b) Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Because what better way to prepare for the cyberpunk dystopia that a Republican FCC would usher in than playing a game set in a cyberpunk dystopia (tempered, of course, by elves and wizards).

Civ VI, there's a Hong Kong in it

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Instead of watching the results as they came in, I got drunk and downloaded Infinite Warfare. The campaign started out really strong, but at about the end of the second act it started getting really weird, and by the end the story choices were making me so incredibly uncomfortable that I was glad it was over and was left with a distinct impression that this was not what anybody thought would happen when they sat down to make the thing. Ended up being a pretty solid metaphor for the election.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whoever is doing this playthrough of Earth has some real balls, everyone knows going Trump in 2016 makes the fight with the alien queen in 2027 much harder.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

We're just stuck in a failed play through and God already loaded a different checkpoint

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is what we get for playing with the Ironman modifier, I suppose!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes you can hit CTRL ALT DEL and close the game from the Task Manager before the game has a chance to save

It's worth a try, guys

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Trump is one of those mods like the MGS one for Civ so we won't even get achievements this run since they been disable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Now it makes so much more sense why Civ 6 traded in all the wonder and optimism of Civ 5's tech/wonder quotes in favor of hipster cynicism.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PS4 gaining momentum and The Switch will carry us through this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

VideoGames posted:

My dearest Humans.

While I'm not an American, and as such held no sway over the presidential vote, I am still one of you. I still feel surprise, shock, sadness and incredulity at the events that have occurred before us today. I do not hate, however, and I do not feel anger. I feel a sense of strength building. I feel a sense of ideology for a better and brighter future growing within.

These next years will not be easy for many innocent folks and they will be fraught with times so trying that you may wish to give up. I implore you not to. I implore that you group together. That you stand side by side and combat that which seeks to tear you down. You are better than you have ever been and you are more hopeful inside than you believe you can possibly feel right now, but I assure you it is there.

Sometimes bad things happen but there will always be someone to stand with you, to hold you up high alongside them and make it through the fog. Hope is pure and cannot be removed. Nothing lasts forever in this world.

No matter what happens you have friends, you have like minded humans with you and not just in your country. There are those in the world who wish to be your pillars when you are feeling like collapse.

If no one else, I will be that pillar and I will help you through these bad times. It will pass and it will get better.

This, I promise.

Thank you, VideoGames and CJacobs and all others, I feel a ton better than I did for the last 15 hours or so. I still feel awful but this kinda stuff helps. :unsmith:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Looper posted:

I have been going through an anxious and lovely period in my life for the last year or two about what I'm gonna do in the future to find some kind of secure life for myself, and it was made a lot worse by my country voting in a right-wing government and then brexiting. It's been a trip, and it is sad to see Trump win in America but it's also kinda heartening to see so many people share the same anxieties that I have been having about how messy the future is looking right now, and seeing so much kindness and support for each other. You are all very kind people.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
I think this guy makes some good points about the whole Trump thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwc7AAXn3A

I'm still going to keep trying to convince myself that things aren't as bad as they seem.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't read a lot of threads but this is by far the best one the past 24 hours. Thanks everyone. :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If anyone wants to game sometime, on the Bone or whatever hit me up: PKdeGallo. For the PS4 I'm Darknight630 on that.

Usually I'm hesitant with stuff like this but I want to make some video game friends from here :unsmith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am ready for oblivion.

Fake edit: also skyrim special edition.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
all I hope from mr trump is to wait until nintendo releases the new zelda before he nukes the world ty in advance

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Heads up, Titanfall2 and Battlefield 1 are $35 at Target. You have to add it to your cart for the price to drop online or use the cartwheel app to get it in store.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ooh, Dishonored 2 unlocks in 5 hours according to steam. I look forward to dispatching corrupt politicians with a variety of supernatural abilities.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Titanfall 2 is really fun and that is a good price.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The release date for Tyranny is a little unfortunate/prescient.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I went in for a dollar on Shadow Complex because metroidvanias are cool, and... aw man, the setting/story so far is disappointingly generic. No weird alien worlds, no bizarre eldritch things, just some white dude who wants to save his girlfriend from mysterious soldier guys.

Basically I just realized that most of the appeal of this genre was the weird/cool settings and when you take it away...it's still fun, but it's just lacking! :sigh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The idea of an ultra liberal shadow army hiding in a high tech bunker with a gigantic airship underneath a lake is weirder than anything in metroid

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Shadow Complex is mechanically sound but it has like the most generic setting and presentation I've ever seen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Exploration-based games with boring settings are just the worst.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The idea of an ultra liberal shadow army hiding in a high tech bunker with a gigantic airship underneath a lake is weirder than anything in metroid

Hey, generic pulpy alien worlds are automatically cooler than metal-walled military complexes, especially if they're actually bright and colorful!

Also, drat, I'm fighting the liberals? Where's the option to join up with them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://puu.sh/sd22I/4f2c174dfb.webm

Made lots of progress today and yesterday. Implemented a working dialogue/text popup system, buying and equipping new weapons, and boss enemies. Next up is working on locking rooms, adding keys and switches, and making the boss' death open doors. Then I'll have all the mechanics for the dungeon crawler part of the game in place!

(Debug stuff is usually gonna be colored red, the game will stick 100% to the 4-color palette I'm using when it's all done. The red is just so I remember to change/remove it later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Shadow Complex is mechanically sound but it has like the most generic setting and presentation I've ever seen

I mean they spent most of their creativity budget on Advent Rising a few years prior to Shadow Complex and that didn't go anywhere.

• Locked thread