Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've flown a lot of Punishers, both Deathrain and Redline (the generics are useless).

The dial was rarely my problem. There's a decent mix of slow + fast moves on the dial.

The problem is the action economy necessary to get ordnance off in an effective manner. There's no Agromech or OCR4 or even Deadeye on a Punisher. The closest you get is Fire Control System, which doesn't trigger on the first round of combat.

I think titles are they way to go.

A title that lets you fire your (cheap?) missle/torp after your primary would be baller. Trigger FCS off the primary and still get your missiles off in that first engagement. Solves the "never gets to shoot" problem neatly.

Lets the Punisher utilize that boost action also, since you could boost for positioning and still get your ordnance off.

Think TIE/D, but primary first and with ordnance second. Limit it to missles/torps of 3 points or less and you'd have a fairly good control piece, throwing out ion and flechette torpedoes every round. This would keep Redline relevant, too, since most of the cheap stuff makes you use a lock to fire it.

The bomb role is much more ill-defined. I'd probably look first at a (unique?) title that lets you "fling" bombs like in that one mission. That was a really great thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Finster Dexter posted:

The smuggler is the worst. Might be room for a thin Resistance Sympathizer?

That's 11 more points, so I'd have to throw out all but one of the upgrades on it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Hey, I did say "thin". I prefer to have the extra red die :shrug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

America gets the lions share of open 2017. Still nothing for the aussies :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

America gets the lions share of open 2017. Still nothing for the aussies :(

Here's the link, if anyone wnats to see:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/x-wing-open/

Man, I could totally make that San Antonio event. I even have friends down there that would probably let me stay overnight.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Well that's pretty good of him - definitely a cool guy for giving you that (short-term) solution. But drat, you're still missing dials; hopefully you can get some online, or off friends with an excess of ships, or something. That's very annoying; I'd be really pissed-off if I ever had my dials taken. (Although I doubt it would happen really, as the community is pretty good, here. I have no worries whatsoever about leaving my X-Wing bag with all my gear in it at the shop/tourney room, while I'm out for 30min or so for lunch with a few of the other 'wangers.)

Thankfully I have like 8 extra defender dials from team epic and a couple of extra lambda dials but yeah, it was weird. Especially since I had way more valuable stuff sitting right next to them, I think some guy just wanted to gently caress over someone playing palp defenders for being "that guy". I don't know what else could have happened?

Cobbsprite posted:

We've been discovered. Hide, goons.

I KNEW IT ALL ALONG

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the write-up. I saw you started at 3-0 and hoped you made the cut to kick some Howard rear end on day 2. I really ought to get Paul to sign something dumb whenever I beat him but since he's always doing the tournaments up here, I always forget since "there's always next time." I also lost to Ben 2 Sundays ago and even another local player using a similar list this past Sunday. I'm guessing not many people might come out tonight after being exhausted from worlds but they probably will since the regional is in a week and a half.

Take one of the giant oversized Han/Boba cards and make him sign it every time you beat him of course. Alternatively, the Poe bodypillow. And looks like we'll just have to wait until G&S to slay that sweet Howard boipussy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Are there any other goons going to the first regional of the new season this Saturday in Omaha? I didn't go to Worlds and have consequently not burned out on X-wing for the next month, so I'm really hoping the quality of opponent takes a nosedive and I can maybe get halfway close to breaking.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Strobe posted:

Are there any other goons going to the first regional of the new season this Saturday in Omaha? I didn't go to Worlds and have consequently not burned out on X-wing for the next month, so I'm really hoping the quality of opponent takes a nosedive and I can maybe get halfway close to breaking.

I'm considering it but am not relishing the 4 hr drive. I didn't make it to Worlds for medical reasons, and am not 100% I'll be up for Omaha, but I kind of want to bring Dengar and Bosskbus. Don't worry, my attendance will definitely bend the ability curve way down.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/7/13550802/x-wing-miniatures-world-championships-2016-recap-twitch

Highlights: Trumpinator, Duncan as the Cobra Kai, Jeremy's weird Emperor thing, and some nice tags on a space garbage truck.

Hey thats my space garbage truck!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've heard that Dengar and Party Bossk are stupidly popular in the Omaha meta, which I'm definitely not looking forward to. Something like 12 out of the 15 Omaha guys at Worlds were apparently running either a very similar or literally identical list in that fashion.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think of the last 10 games I played in person 9 of them were against Dengar and Party Bossk.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hey thats my space garbage truck!

The garbage will do.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Oh okay, so Palp Defenders it is, then! Thanks, thread!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hey pbpancho howd you like Dr Strange? I knew going to see it would screw me over the next day

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I dearly wish the Punisher were viable. It's just too expensive. It needs a title that gives you a discount on munitions.

I'm hoping the tie only mod in the Striker is a decent Punisher fix. For deathrain obviously, the best punisher.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

I'm hoping the tie only mod in the Striker is a decent Punisher fix. For deathrain obviously, the best punisher.

A man after my own heart!

Deathrain is crazy flexible as a bomber. Just costs too much.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Reactive Targeting Suite
Systems Upgrade, 3 points
"At the start of the Planning Phase before dials are set, you may announce a number up to your pilot skill. During the Activation Phase, increase or decrease your pilot skill by that number. During the Combat Phase, do the opposite. Your pilot skill may not exceed 11 or go below 0."

Would something like that fix Punishers? Pick whether you move first and shoot last, or move last and shoot first, depending on whether you want to dump ordnance and need the TLs, or want to drop bombs and need them to have not moved yet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Reactive Targeting Suite
Systems Upgrade, 3 points
"At the start of the Planning Phase before dials are set, you may announce a number up to your pilot skill. During the Activation Phase, increase or decrease your pilot skill by that number. During the Combat Phase, do the opposite. Your pilot skill may not exceed 11 or go below 0."

Would something like that fix Punishers? Pick whether you move first and shoot last, or move last and shoot first, depending on whether you want to dump ordnance and need the TLs, or want to drop bombs and need them to have not moved yet.

It would do next to nothing for generic punishers and only serves to make the named ones more expensive.

It's an interesting design space, though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/8/2017-open-briefing/

System open article has an interesting bit in the Hangar Bay side event section:
For the 2017 System Open Series events, we will also be using a new stipulation: the Distinct Rule states that each of your squads cannot use any of the same ship models, pilot cards, upgrade cards, or unique names as your other squad.

So, that's neat. I think you'd struggle with intra-faction building two lists without using the same upgrade twice. Not even Push The Limit!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's a part of me that hopes the Hangar Bay format is a test bed for changes to the tournament rules. I'd honestly love to see the two-list thing from HB become the standard format at some point.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a part of me that hopes the Hangar Bay format is a test bed for changes to the tournament rules. I'd honestly love to see the two-list thing from HB become the standard format at some point.

I like it for top level events, national, open and worlds. The rest should have a friendlier entry point by design. Who chooses the list you play with? You or your opponent?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

I like it for top level events, national, open and worlds. The rest should have a friendlier entry point by design. Who chooses the list you play with? You or your opponent?

It's described in the article linked above.

TL;DR you pick you own after seeing your opponent's squads. You can bring just one, if you like, but you could be at a disadvantage since the other guy gets to pick which of his fares better against your one.

Edit: Imagine bringing just Palp Aces and one of the opponent's lists is a gunner/vader Decimator. You might as well forfeit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not a huge fan of it, since it's easily "solved" to "bring one good meta list and the hard counter to its hard counter".

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It would be cool if you took 3 lists and the opponent could veto one before you picked.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who the hell wants to carry around 3 lists all day.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Who the hell wants to carry around 3 lists all day.

The same people that fly halfway across the world to push plastic spaceships around?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I doubt that

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Not a huge fan of it, since it's easily "solved" to "bring one good meta list and the hard counter to its hard counter".

I disagree. I think it'd lead to even more back-and-forth and add a new layer of strategy to listbuilding. Especially with the can't-share-upgrades-across-lists rule.

I feel the game is large enough now you can't solve it in the way you suggest you can solve it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hoiyes posted:

The same people that fly halfway across the world to push plastic spaceships around?

Carry-ons are already a precious commodity, no thanks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I actually really dislike that rule unless generics are excepted, because not being able to use Integrated Astromech or Red Squad Vets in a list because it's in my other is... really dumb.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Strobe posted:

It's not always that simple.

Here's a matrix used in game theory. This is a binary example, a 0 is a loss and a 1 is a win.

In this matchup, Player 1 brought List A, a popular and powerful meta list. List X is it's counter, so in the case of an X and A matchup, list X is going to win that one.
Player 1 anticipates that list X will be there to counter list A, and brings list B. List B is a counter to X, and in case of an X and B matchup, list B wins.

Player 2 is also on top of the meta trends, and has another trick. List Y is a counter to list B, but would get wrecked by list A.

In this place, there is no equilibrium or way to "solve" it, given a 50/50 likelihood of a player to choose a list AND when they are choosing simultaneously and secretly.

There are a few ways this gets more complicated.
One is where there's not just a binary win/lose, and MOV matters. In this case, you prefer a list that gives you big wins and small losses to lists that give you close wins and big losses.
Second is where the players' summed estimations of likelihood of victory don't match. People internally calculate their win chances based on their own known strengths or preferences, with a lot of bias. You may have a list that you think will win 70% of games against a swarm list flown by a similarly skilled player. Guy across the is thinking his chances in that matchup are more like 95% of winning, because he's Dallas Parker and you don't know who that is.
Which leads to the third point. If you have some way of knowing what the player will run, you can make a better informed decision rather than a 50/50 guess. If I am player one and I am 90% sure that Player 2 is going to run List Y (because it's brobots and that dude loves brobots and is great at brobots), I'm going to pick list A every time.

In reality though, you usually have pretty imperfect information.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Hanger Bay would be so much more interesting if you had to bring 2 lists, then your opponent chooses which one you fly, and you choose which one they fly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I actually really dislike that rule unless generics are excepted, because not being able to use Integrated Astromech or Red Squad Vets in a list because it's in my other is... really dumb.

The idea is to force you to bring two entirely different squads. That way someone doesn't just bring two slight variations on the same list. Imagine two Palp Aces list, where the only difference is if Vader had Adaptability or VI. That's dumb.

Now the other guy can't do that. In fact, he can't even bring Palp at all for the second list.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

Hanger Bay would be so much more interesting if you had to bring 2 lists, then your opponent chooses which one you fly, and you choose which one they fly.

I thought that's exactly how it works

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

No. Each player decides which of their own lists they fly.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, did also when I went to a local Hanger Bay thing. When I found out it was you pick your own, I just picked the same list for all 5 rounds (because it was the one I enjoyed flying anyway) no matter who I faced and won each one....so it was basically a regular tournament, but I had to carry around more stuff.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, did also when I went to a local Hanger Bay thing. When I found out it was you pick your own, I just picked the same list for all 5 rounds (because it was the one I enjoyed flying anyway) no matter who I faced and won each one....so it was basically a regular tournament, but I had to carry around more stuff.

That's kind of pointless, then.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

The idea is to force you to bring two entirely different squads. That way someone doesn't just bring two slight variations on the same list. Imagine two Palp Aces list, where the only difference is if Vader had Adaptability or VI. That's dumb.

Now the other guy can't do that. In fact, he can't even bring Palp at all for the second list.

I agree 100% for uniques, so you can't bring Palpatine twice, or Vader TIE in one list and Vader crew in another. Or for maximum chuckles, no Sabine crew in one and Sabine Shadowcaster in another.

I disagree 100% for generics and non-uniques, where I can't bring a Bandit in both lists for cheap filler.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You wanna talk about something pointless? FLGS is having a draft night later this month. Only calling it a draft is disingenuous because you don't draft anything, you choose a small ship at random out of box. K-Wings, Punishers, Starvipers, Arcs are out since they have bigger blister packs.

THEN they randomly place you at a table with 3 or more players for a free for all. Each table has 6 asteroids and THEN they put crazy house-rule bullshit onto the table like a black hole at the center of each table that effects the game when you shoot at it or let you fly to another table if you go into it.

I mean, there's no guarantee they'll even use these rules since I guess each time there's slightly different ones, but it's essentially a way for the store to get rid of old stock that no one wants to buy while keeping things super casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

It's not always that simple.

Here's a matrix used in game theory. This is a binary example, a 0 is a loss and a 1 is a win.

In this matchup, Player 1 brought List A, a popular and powerful meta list. List X is it's counter, so in the case of an X and A matchup, list X is going to win that one.
Player 1 anticipates that list X will be there to counter list A, and brings list B. List B is a counter to X, and in case of an X and B matchup, list B wins.

Player 2 is also on top of the meta trends, and has another trick. List Y is a counter to list B, but would get wrecked by list A.

In this place, there is no equilibrium or way to "solve" it, given a 50/50 likelihood of a player to choose a list AND when they are choosing simultaneously and secretly.

There are a few ways this gets more complicated.
One is where there's not just a binary win/lose, and MOV matters. In this case, you prefer a list that gives you big wins and small losses to lists that give you close wins and big losses.
Second is where the players' summed estimations of likelihood of victory don't match. People internally calculate their win chances based on their own known strengths or preferences, with a lot of bias. You may have a list that you think will win 70% of games against a swarm list flown by a similarly skilled player. Guy across the is thinking his chances in that matchup are more like 95% of winning, because he's Dallas Parker and you don't know who that is.
Which leads to the third point. If you have some way of knowing what the player will run, you can make a better informed decision rather than a 50/50 guess. If I am player one and I am 90% sure that Player 2 is going to run List Y (because it's brobots and that dude loves brobots and is great at brobots), I'm going to pick list A every time.

In reality though, you usually have pretty imperfect information.

Best of 3, tit for tat. :mrgw:

• Locked thread