Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

nurabsal posted:

Do you sincerely believe that a plurality of Trump supporters are WHITE NATIONALISTS?

Well, yes? I find it extremely easy to believe ~10% of America's population holds white nationalist beliefs, even if they wouldn't call them that (though many would).

Remember that less than 60 million people voted for Trump, in a country with well over 300 million citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why are you guys making GBS threads on Warren's statement? It's absolutely the correct thing to say and on the chance that he wants to pursue some good policies like, say, non-wall infrastructure spending, she should be willing to work with him.

Yes. Democrats frankly have no option but to take the high road here. The party is in shambles and will wipe out what little remains of its chances to fix anything if they try to be obstructionist.

We all just imagined there was a democratic coalition, and now it's dissolving into infighting and purity battles without homophobia, racism, and misogyny to hold it together like the GOP had.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

PKJC posted:

This, worry if it turns out she's serious and not saying the politically expedient thing in the wake of election results that came as a surprise to so many, including those in the winning campaign.

Yeah it's not like she'll be able to filibuster anyways. :smith:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nurabsal posted:

Nah, I can agree with that point. The best example being Cuban-Americans who perceive themselves as White Hispanics. Its fair.

Ever wonder why they put the white in front of hispanic?

Which in America, do you think is more valuable to them?

Trabisnikof posted:

Why not exactly? We have the Klan rallying already, the Trump effect is widely documented in schools and now the federal government, the last vestige of protection against voting discrimination and racial discrimination by law enforcement left in red states, now they're in the pocket of the "put the white in the White House" people?

White Nationalism is now again part of the national political climate and gently caress yes we should be ashamed it is true, but we can't defeat it if we deny it.

Funny how the right wing berated Obama about him saying "islamic terrorists", but white and white passing people are hemming and hawing about saying "white nationalism", even though this country literally fought a war over it.

Amazing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Add "national parks and the natural beauty of the country" to the list of poo poo white people voted to destroy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pollyanna posted:

I'm worried about Pence. He has the power to undo all the LGBT and women's rights advances made in the past few years, and nothing can stop him from it. I'm scared that we'll go back to the 80s and hate crimes will rise. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

As long as Ginsberg is on the bench we have a firewall against the very worst - the five justices that gave us mandatory gay marriage are still there.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Lightning Knight posted:

Add "national parks and the natural beauty of the country" to the list of poo poo white people voted to destroy.

Make old faithful the 18th hole.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As long as Ginsberg is on the bench we have a firewall against the very worst - the five justices that gave us mandatory gay marriage are still there.

Do you believe she's gonna make it eight more years?

I want to believe. :smith:

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Torpor posted:

The weird assumption that the demographic change to minority majority will change anything in and of itself is a bit strange. I am pretty sure it will just slightly change the power dynamics and tribalism a bit.

Yeah, I think its a little like thinking that persecuted Irish Immigrants of the early 20th century would inevitably and forever identify as poor tenement dwellers and definitely find class solidarity with other struggling ethnic minorities instead of gradually improving their status as a minority group and becoming assimilated into the dominant culture.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

My money is on Duckworth running.

e: I swear I'm not making a pun!

I laughed. :saddowns:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Lightning Knight posted:

Depending on SC outcomes it'll be farther back than the '80s.

Note: LGBT people? If you can, move. You're likely the only minority group who might escape the worst of it in Canada. If you're also black you're still probably hosed but yeah, if you can, move to Canada.

Oh, god.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The entire narrative of demographic change saving the country was false.

Jesus Christ I was right they're just going to let Hispanic people be white and rule forever oh god everything is so hosed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plan Z posted:

The right-wing media grooms its supporters and has been doing it since Gingrich's years, to create a right-leaning identity that makes these people believe that problems aren't all that complicated. This gives such people more of a feeling of agency and understanding. Terrorism can be fought if we just say the word "Muslim" and target certain people. The economy can be fixed by cutting taxes to give people more money to spend. Crime can be fixed if we go out and buy more guns. Simple problems, simple solutions, and anyone who tries to make it more complicated by talking about underlying issues of culture, economics, or other factors is just waffling or being politically correct or something. I have a neighbor who genuinely believes he is personally more capable of defeating ISIL than the president or his generals, despite getting discharged from the army for drunkenly crashing two Humvees in 2004.

Everyone made a stink about certain things Jon Stewart said on his infamous Crossfire appearance, but one of the most telling parts of that episode was when the hosts and audience kept bringing up the idea of "Why can't politicians give us straight answers?" It was fairly obvious it was meant to be a circle-jerky moment that groomed the viewer by making them feel smart and superior to anyone in public office (courtesy of your dutiful hosts at Crossfire). There was even this cringey moment when an audience member got up and asked the question several times. And my thinking is "because we don't know what a straight answer is." If a politician goes on describing the underlying problems of a major issue, and parts of that issue that we can focus on to come to a resolution, he will be shouted down by a television host or audience member for not "giving a straight answer." And when we shut those out, we get President Trump stealing the show by saying we gotta kill civilians related to terrorists, build a big wall, and cut taxes in a way that will most likely add around 6 trillion dollars to the national debt.
Yes, but... what the hell do we do about it? I'm mostly concerned, as a journalist, because I'm beginning to suspect that reporting might be meaningless in the modern age. I started a thread to this effect a while back and everyone was like "yeah, it's probably hosed."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In honor of today's anniversary, let me be the first to say: It begins.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

Lightning Knight posted:

Jesus Christ I was right they're just going to let Hispanic people be white and rule forever oh god everything is so hosed.

You do realize Hispanic is a term invented solely by the United States and that most "Hispanics" are either Whites/Mestizo/Native?

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Interesting points, everyone. I'm good for now.

:911:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you believe she's gonna make it eight more years?

I want to believe. :smith:

Eight is more than I really like to ponder but hey, maybe 2020 will work out!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

treu posted:

You do realize Hispanic is a term invented solely by the United States and that most "Hispanics" are either Whites/Mestizo/Native?

Yes rear end in a top hat I'm Hispanic. They're going to do for certain Hispanic groups what they did for Italians/Polish/German/Irish people, is what I meant. They'll drop officially discriminatory planks against Cubans and Nicaraguans, etc. and invite them to revel in the FYGMism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there nothing we can do to stop Pence?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

One problem with Duckworth is she was born in Thailand, not America. But one of her parents was an American citizen and if that's good enough for Ted Cruz to run for president it should be good enough for her.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Pray for trump's health.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

On Terra Firma posted:

Pray for trump's health.

:laffo: Trump is already on record saying he'd prefer to leave matters of Policy to Pence. He's just here for the ego trip of being POTUS, not the actual responsibility.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, but... what the hell do we do about it? I'm mostly concerned, as a journalist, because I'm beginning to suspect that reporting might be meaningless in the modern age. I started a thread to this effect a while back and everyone was like "yeah, it's probably hosed."

I'm still pretty amazed at the considerable help Trump got from the media. First there was all the free air time, which I understand is Trump's big media trick. But they also let him get away with completely bogus statements constantly, from policy to direct quotes. Then consider that not even left leaning outlets pushed the fact he may doom the world on climate.

If he is a man of his word, we might see a crackdown on the press, but that didn't seem to be a big deal to the media.

Speaking of which, I wonder if he will release his tax returns lol.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Harry Joe posted:

Bernie Sanders is unelectable, says the campaign that lost against a reality tv cheeto with a hairpiece.

Blame racism or bigotry if you want, but the democratic party lost this by pushing the only candidate that could have possibly lost against Trump.

If Sanders couldn't get a majority of people to register/vote for him in the Democratic Primary, what makes you think he'd be so much better in the general?

Repeat for every other Democratic candidate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pollyanna posted:

Bro.

Bro.

He's gonna make Sarah loving Palin the Secretary of the Interior.

We are so hosed.

If RBG or Kennedy dies you can kiss everything back to Brown v. Board goodbye.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

You might even say that... Facts Are Useless. :smugdog:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to process all this and struggling to not completely give up. I've been having minor but still concerning self-destructive thoughts or at the very least a level of negativity that has me periodically shutting down into a shell of a man. I am not as afraid as PoC, LGBTQ+ people, women, or any mixture thereof, nor do I really have any right to claim to be. As a matter of fact, I''m sick to death for those loved ones as much as anything else. But as I've noted in previous threads and as those who know me know, I do have a fair bit to lose here, and I face almost insurmountable institutional biases in my own right in some ways.

The bottom line is, we will be on the right side of history. Progress has never been easy, and it's always been far too incremental. Racism, sexism, misogyny, ableism, and all those other horrible evils do have a hold on our society and we're reminded of them daily. But by God, I can't be sterilized against my will as a disabled man. I may be put in an institutional setting, but they're not sub-prison conditions like they used to be. By most metrics, most people support gay marriage. I'm sure some of the PoC will rake me over the coals for acting like this is something great, and they're fully within their rights to, especially since the election of someone like Trump shows the strength of the deplorables and just how deep hate runs. But guess what? Hillary MIGHT STILL WIN THE POPULAR VOTE. In the end, it's nothing more than symbolism as empty as we choose to make it. But the fact is, we are on the right side of history. It's just that it might take more time, struggle, and suffering than any of us thought to be able to get there.

Donald Trump and his ilk would like us to believe that this is and will always be their America. That MAGA is more than the horrifically loud death rattle of a contingent of Americans who are tragically uninformed at absolute best and malignantly, stomach-churningly hateful at worst. Surely there's a mix of both. But no. I'm not giving up. I will not believe in an America where The Other in all its forms is systematically held down and abused. And so I will fight. I will work. I will believe. And someday, drat it, someday we will win.

Stay strong my friends. Please.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Get rid of the darker hispanics and get the white-passing ones to buy into colorism.

I mean, the groundwork is already there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Bro.

Bro.

We are so hosed.

For those of you playing at home, this means the Bundys win. They will get to take our public land and and make it theirs, potentially for free. Same for mining companies, ranchers, loggers etc.

It will be easiest to do to BLM land or National Forests. But easing development rules for mining etc on National Parks has always been a big goal.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The lesson is the Democrats pretty much squandered Obama's eight years without raising up a successor. I don't know if the plan was Biden vs Hillary and that would be that then when Biden's son died he lost interest so it was just Hillary running unopposed, but Hillary had so much baggage they should have scrapped it once the Benghazi stuff wouldn't go away. Whoever said she never controlled the narrative was dead on. They really should have been getting some young talent ready but decided that whoever followed Obama would be fine riding his coattails forgetting 2000 entirely.

Trabisnikof posted:

For those of you playing at home, this means the Bundys win. They will get to take our public land and and make it theirs, potentially for free. Same for mining companies, ranchers, loggers etc.

It will be easiest to do to BLM land or National Forests. But easing development rules for mining etc on National Parks has always been a big goal.

The media treating the Trump campaign as this wacky thing instead of the severe danger it was so outrageous it still makes me mad. I can't even watch tv anymore because I'll see some pundit acting like nothing is wrong.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2016

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

treu posted:

This thread moves too fast. I'm right here from Michigan.

Wait! What? Going from voting for Obama to voting for Trump?

Awww shiiittt....do tell!!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

The lesson is the Democrats pretty much squandered Obama's eight years without raising up a successor. I don't know if the plan was Biden vs Hillary and that would be that then when Biden's son died he lost interest so it was just Hillary running unopposed, but Hillary had so much baggage they should have scrapped it once the Benghazi stuff wouldn't go away. Whoever said she never controlled the narrative was dead on. They really should have been getting some young talent ready but decided that whoever followed Obama would be fine riding his coattails forgetting 2000 entirely.

So what you're saying is the DNC should have more involved in rigging the primary?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gorelab posted:

Honestly, I think the Democrats can win 2020 if they run someone charismatic. Trump lost the popular vote most likely, and I don't think having to actually govern will do him favors.

Good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9x92nwGf_M

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Wait! What? Going from voting for Obama to voting for Trump?

Awww shiiittt....do tell!!!

What do you even want to know? I went Kerry - Obama - Obama - Trump.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Google Trends has some interesting people related to "2020" in the past 7 days (https://g.co/trends/z0hP2):

Top over the last 7 days:
kanye 2020
michelle obama 2020
kanye west 2020
will hillary run in 2020
elizabeth warren 2020
paul ryan 2020
elizabeth warren
kanye west
bernie sanders
michelle obama
bernie 2020
cory booker
bernie sanders 2020
cory booker 2020
yeezy 2020

"Rising":
can hillary run in 2020
will clinton run in 2020
will hillary run in 2020
kamala harris 2020
can hillary clinton run for president in 2020
re elect trump 2020
2020 democratic nominee
potential democratic candidates 2020
michelle obama 2020 president
who will run against trump in 2020
hillary clinton 2020
democratic candidates 2020
elizabeth warren 2020
trump cabinet
next democratic nominee 2020
warren 2020
democrats 2020
cory booker 2020
michelle obama 2020
elizabeth warren
michelle obama
will bernie sanders run in 2020
cory booker
who will run in 2020
bernie 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Get rid of the darker hispanics and get the white-passing ones to buy into colorism.

I mean, the groundwork is already there.

I am the light skinned Hispanic. I'm already a white dude. This is why I said this would happen. Jesus Christ gently caress FYGMism among minority groups, it's so awful.

My uncle is the model minority. Second generation Mexican who is a straight R voter and might as well be a regular suburban white dude. gently caress me man.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also hunting in preserves. Massive acceleration of extinctions. :smith:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
in the end, it was always Kanye who would be the one to save us

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm terrified and I do not know what to do. I am white, although my father is Jewish (and I was raised Jewish) and my surname (Klein) is arguably Jewish. I live in New York, the Bronx.
I am straight, male, and I know I have these to be thankful for. I am terrified for my POC and LGBTQ friends. And, somewhat ashamedly, I am terrified for myself. I have clinical depression. I am on medicare currently for my health insurance. I need my brainmeds to avoid crippling panic attacks. I am afraid I will be unable to get them. I am afraid I will be targeted for some hate crime or something because I arguably have parenthesis around my surname.

I'm scared. I'm scared like I have never been before. For myself, and for others.
Should I be looking into getting to Canada, or even the UK, if I am able? Or do we think that at the very least, as a heterosexual more-or-less white New Yorker I can, at least for myself, survive this and can commence worrying about my friends instead.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kanye will loving bulldoze Trump in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lightning Knight posted:

Bro.

Bro.

We are so hosed.

Actually, they'll roll it back to Tennessee vs. Scopes

• Locked thread