Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny when it happens to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

It's funny when it happens to others.

?

i'm just giving you the honest from what happened. i mean gently caress he was in pf bragging about it and inviting people to come see his apartment that he got with stolen funds. if se was going to do something about it, they would have.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
why do the gms care if its not "technically" against the rules. they just ban him and if he gets mad tell him tough poo poo. he's not going to loving sue

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't know mate. i'm not a gm. i'm just telling you how it went down.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Because banning people for not breaking the rules is messed up? And it's not even a technicality - the tools are built into the game to prevent it from happening. If they ban people who do that, they might as well ban ice BLMs or people that don't use job stones. Or people that mess up boss mechanics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Farg posted:

why do the gms care if its not "technically" against the rules. they just ban him and if he gets mad tell him tough poo poo. he's not going to loving sue

The goofy legal threat are always fun to read.

And MMOs have vague, open rules precisely so that if they feel the need to ban some toxic player they can point to a part of the EULA or some other broadly written policy and say "you violated X now :getout:"

Though in this case the act of just emptying a guild chest is unlikely to cause GMs to react without a bunch of negative press forcing them to do so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Don't give weird assholes the attention they crave by linking their poo poo here, tia in advance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Farg posted:

GMs don't exist to arbitrate disputes like this. They enforce the rules, and that's it. Asking any more of them is ridiculous.

e: also if you don't want to get robbed by assholes like this, don't give brand new fc recruits full access to your bank like a stupid idiot. The game gives the players all the tools they need to prevent this.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 9, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Office Surprise Store posted:

?

i'm just giving you the honest from what happened. i mean gently caress he was in pf bragging about it and inviting people to come see his apartment that he got with stolen funds. if se was going to do something about it, they would have.

Sorry, didn't mean to target that at you, I just find videos of peopl being really mad because someone took something they were explicitly given access to funny. I know I'm a bad person, but welp

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

e: also if you don't want to get robbed by assholes like this, don't give brand new fc recruits full access to your bank like a stupid idiot. The game gives the players all the tools they need to prevent this.

the other reason they won't get involved is because it sets a precident to be a scumbag fc leader, invite a player to your fc, then after they take something from an open tab kick them out and report them for stealing

they wont get involved and the best thing you can do is ignore him since he's after attention

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad you kept the sword man av, sword man.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad you kept the sword man av, sword man.

it's a good av but i think i'll switch to christmas sword_man in a little while

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to reinstall this game since my old HDD fried and it refuses to patch for some reason. Keeps giving me an unable to download patch files error. Tried the DNS and VPN switches the o forums suggested but drat if this game just doesn't want me to play ever again.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bombogenesis posted:

I'm trying to reinstall this game since my old HDD fried and it refuses to patch for some reason. Keeps giving me an unable to download patch files error. Tried the DNS and VPN switches the o forums suggested but drat if this game just doesn't want me to play ever again.
I don't know if this actually does poo poo or its just a placebo, but totally uninstalling FF14 and deleting the FF14 directory in my documents (if its not a fresh install make sure to backup the character folders) and then reinstalling seems to work. I wrestle with that poo poo every time I try to set this thing up on a new computer.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

I don't know if this actually does poo poo or its just a placebo, but totally uninstalling FF14 and deleting the FF14 directory in my documents (if its not a fresh install make sure to backup the character folders) and then reinstalling seems to work. I wrestle with that poo poo every time I try to set this thing up on a new computer.

No dice. Could it because I'm trying to put it on my SSD?

e; Nope, not the SSD.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 9, 2016

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Office Surprise Store posted:

hi i'm on sargatanas which is sbl's server so here's the skinny

he was going from fc to fc and stealing everything that they left open in the fc chest. official gm stance is that they can't really do anything about it because it's on the fc leader to make sure that you don't leave valuable poo poo just laying around for people to take, that's why they let you put permissions on who can take stuff out.

unfortunately shitloads of people give him attention for it so he keeps making videos of being a dipshit because everybody makes a lot of noise and OH NO IT'S SBL so

he's a massive dillhole but he didnt technically break the rules (there's no rules about not taking stuff out of free company chests because they rely on the free companies to police themselves) so basically, take it as a life lesson to secure your goddamn fc chest

and it's not that se doesn't know he's been reported a billion times by this point

Funny how the true endgame raiding of Star Trek Online somehow found it's way to FFXIV.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Tonight on Newbie Permagroup Blind Instance Run: Let's kill Stupidbeard (Ramuh Hard mode)

Group: WHM (me), WHM, MNK, SMN, and four Duty Finder folks

Not an ideal healing situation, but we've done trials with two WHM before. You just have to communicate a little more and be a bit more proactive since there are no shields.

As usual, we warned the pubs that we were new to the fight and hadn't looked it up beforehand. No issues there.

We engaged the boss, and it's an extremely straightforward fight until the adds. The only interesting element is the fear effect, which Esuna doesn't seem to clear. We figured out that it breaks if you take damage, so we started using those little lightning rings to get the feared people blasted by lightning. I don't know if that's the intended method, but it worked.

Then the adds popped up. Our Monk broke off her attack and went after adds, while our Summoner got feared. We were having issues getting a ring to him because he was pretty far from everyone else. Speaking of everyone else, none of them went after the adds. So eventually Ramuh called down a giant lightning bolt and killed half the group. Fun!

We kept going and got to the part with the lightning tethers, and figured out the rather obvious mechanic of breaking it with the lightning orbs. Easy. We eventually died to attrition since so many people had gone down and we'd used a bunch of mana raising people (a few of whom died again).

Attempt #2, we decided to direct things despite not having done it before. We politely told everyone to kill the adds, and that seemed to work. We did have one tank die somehow toward the end (not really sure -- she went from full to dead on my screen), but otherwise it was very smooth. I got four commendations (pretty awesome since our pre-made group was the other four). I guess I healed okay!

So, we killed Stupidbeard. Yay!

Fortunately, it looks like the next storyline instance is a dungeon, which are far more interesting to me, and more fun to write up.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

We engaged the boss, and it's an extremely straightforward fight until the adds. The only interesting element is the fear effect, which Esuna doesn't seem to clear. We figured out that it breaks if you take damage, so we started using those little lightning rings to get the feared people blasted by lightning. I don't know if that's the intended method, but it worked.

Yeah that's intended.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

WhiteHowler posted:

Tonight on Newbie Permagroup Blind Instance Run: Let's kill Stupidbeard (Ramuh Hard mode)

Not an ideal healing situation, but we've done trials with two WHM before. You just have to communicate a little more and be a bit more proactive since there are no shields.

As usual, we warned the pubs that we were new to the fight and hadn't looked it up beforehand. No issues there.

Then the adds popped up. Our Monk broke off her attack and went after adds, while our Summoner got feared. We were having issues getting a ring to him because he was pretty far from everyone else. Speaking of everyone else, none of them went after the adds. So eventually Ramuh called down a giant lightning bolt and killed half the group. Fun!

We kept going and got to the part with the lightning tethers, and figured out the rather obvious mechanic of breaking it with the lightning orbs. Easy. We eventually died to attrition since so many people had gone down and we'd used a bunch of mana raising people (a few of whom died again).

Attempt #2, we decided to direct things despite not having done it before. We politely told everyone to kill the adds, and that seemed to work. We did have one tank die somehow toward the end (not really sure -- she went from full to dead on my screen), but otherwise it was very smooth. I got four commendations (pretty awesome since our pre-made group was the other four). I guess I healed okay!

Fortunately, it looks like the next storyline instance is a dungeon, which are far more interesting to me, and more fun to write up.

It's been an age since I fought Ramuh (Hard), but based on what I remember of the mechanics, I'm guessing the tank died to his Tankbuster attack. It hits ridiculously hard and unless you take it with every cooldown you can manage you'll die... unless you've absorbed 3 (I think) lightning orbs, than the damage becomes manageable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Does Ramuh Hard have the tankbuster that EX has? The mechanic for Extreme is that you want the tether-cancelling buff on the tank because it's a lightning-cancelling buff and his big hit is also lightning. That could be what killed the tank.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does Ramuh Hard have the tankbuster that EX has? The mechanic for Extreme is that you want the tether-cancelling buff on the tank because it's a lightning-cancelling buff and his big hit is also lightning. That could be what killed the tank.

I don't remember honestly, I was just making a guess based on how they described the tank dying.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sounds like your tank got too many stacks of debuff, which will wipe them out instantly. You needed to swap tanks before that happens. Of course, since you had pub tanks they should have known that.

Edit: for the tankbuster you need a specific number of stacks to survive.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 10, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eopia posted:

It's been an age since I fought Ramuh (Hard), but based on what I remember of the mechanics, I'm guessing the tank died to his Tankbuster attack. It hits ridiculously hard and unless you take it with every cooldown you can manage you'll die... unless you've absorbed 3 (I think) lightning orbs, than the damage becomes manageable.

That mechanic is only in extreme

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress palace of the dead, gently caress PUG members who don't understand the mechanics, and gently caress wasting three hours trying to clear 41-50 and getting jack poo poo to show for it

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Asimo posted:

gently caress palace of the dead, gently caress PUG members who don't understand the mechanics, and gently caress wasting three hours trying to clear 41-50 and getting jack poo poo to show for it

...Yeah I honestly had an easier time soloing it than I had with a few groups I've gotten. The boss especially is pretty easily soloable if you know the mechanics, but gets progressively more difficult if you have anyone in your group failing to dodge properly because getting hit by In Health powers up her room wide aoe in addition to healing her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
MNK opener question - is it better to go Demolish > Snap > Snap or Snap > Snap > Demolish? I've seen variations on both, not sure if it makes a significant difference either way. I generally Demolish just for the few ticks before I refresh it.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

I'm pretty new to the game, but I just managed to unlock glamours which is probably the only thing I care about. Palace of the Dead makes leveling far more enjoyable compared to anything else so far as a paladin. It also helped me pay for cool dyes and weapons and things. :sun:

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

ApplesandOranges posted:

MNK opener question - is it better to go Demolish > Snap > Snap or Snap > Snap > Demolish? I've seen variations on both, not sure if it makes a significant difference either way. I generally Demolish just for the few ticks before I refresh it.

I generally do the former as well. Just makes sense to get the extra dot ticks while you build your stacks.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

I'm really starting to like how the weekly for the new relic quest forces you to run Leveling roulette. Got a party for Copperbell mines with a total newbie playing LNC. Got to explain how Limit Break works to him; seemed pretty happy when I described the Dragoon LB3 visual to him.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ApplesandOranges posted:

The latter. More potency on the dot from GL.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ordinaire posted:

I generally do the former as well. Just makes sense to get the extra dot ticks while you build your stacks.

The 1-2 ticks you get will miss out on GL plus any buffs you popped between GCDs. The GL2 buff effectively gives you 10 extra potency per tick. Its almost always better to get all your buffs up before you apply dots.

EDIT: corrected some things.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bombogenesis posted:

quote:

Running "Internet Options" (If you can't find it in the jumplist, you can also access these options through IE.)
Click the "SECURITY" tab.
Click "Trusted Sites"
Click "SITES" underneath where you clicked Trusted Sites
Add [url]https://*.finalfantasyxiv.com[/url]
Close Window
Click Okay

try this. e: without the [url] tags, forum keeps adding them :shrug:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The 1-2 ticks you get will miss out on GL3 plus any buffs you popped between GCDs. The GL3 buff alone effectively gives you 15 extra potency per tick. Its almost always better to get all your buffs up before you apply dots.

Does Demolish apply before or after the third GL stack is snapshotted assuming it is your third hit?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Does Demolish apply before or after the third GL stack is snapshotted assuming it is your third hit?

the third stack is the result of using demolish, what do you think

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kojei posted:

the third stack is the result of using demolish, what do you think

I've seen weirder timing things crop up :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

You're right it'll only have two stacks at that point, but it's no big deal because it will also have B4B&IR up.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

If Ramuh goes below 50% before the adds are dead he hard enrages and wipes you. Due to gear sync, dots and pets and MT dps can do this so literally everyone needs to not hit him at all until the adds are dead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're right it'll only have two stacks at that point, but it's no big deal because it will also have B4B&IR up.

Don't you only pop your cooldowns after you get GL3? Otherwise that's some of their duration being used on attacks without GL3 up.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Basically everyone does this exact opener:

Demolish +Perfect Balance > Snap Punch + Blood for Blood > Snap Punch+Internal Release > Dragon Kick + Potion > Twin Snakes + Elixir Field > Snap Punch + Howling Fist > Touch of Death + Steel Peak > Bootshine+Shoulder Tackle > True Strike + The Forbidden Chakra > Demolish

If you do demolish third instead of first, you gain 22.4 potency on the initial hit of demolish, plus 16 potency per tick, at the cost of an average 75 potency from missing 1.5 ticks at the start, and 57.6 potency from unbuffing that snap punch. Since you have to reapply at the same time to get your next demolish into your cooldown window, you only get 4.5 of the GL2+B4B ticks, for 72 total potency. 22.4+72 < 75+57.6. Demolish first is better.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VHGS posted:

Basically everyone does this exact opener:
Elixir Field > Normal DPS Rotation.

Based on the Monks I get when I play.

Depresses me how many Monks I end up getting who blow Elixir Field before GL1, never mind 3.

• Locked thread