Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Tatumje posted:

Yep. I just looked it up. Last year, they had upgrades and a bunch of plugins for 25% off for Black Friday.

Great to hear, the trial has shown me the huge difference between standard and intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Live 9.7 is out. Mostly Push related changes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neat! Is Push worth considering if I spend 99% of my time in Arrangement Mode?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

well why not posted:

Neat! Is Push worth considering if I spend 99% of my time in Arrangement Mode?

Yes. Most useful thing to know is that if you shift-record, you'll create a new midi clip in arrangement mode instead of session.

-Arrangement Mode User

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Also, I just upgraded to the Push 2 and have my Push 1 available for sale - if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post it in SA-Mart or something.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Say I have something that's 3 bars long. But I decide I don't need bar 2. I want to delete bar 2 and have the remaining bars join without leaving a gap.

Is there a way to do this in Ableton without having to manually drag the bars to close the gap? I've never found it but it would be super useful.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 12, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

DOUBLE POST, COOL

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Popcorn posted:

Say I have something that's 3 bars long. But I decide I don't need bar 2. I want to delete bar 2 and have the remaining bars join without leaving a gap.

Is there a way to do this in Ableton without having to manually drag the bars to close the gap? I've never found it but it would be super useful.

Not that I can think of, but in arrangement view, I'd split the track at the unwanted bar, delete, and consolidate the clip. I think that's the fastest way.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

dj bobby bieber posted:

Not that I can think of, but in arrangement view, I'd split the track at the unwanted bar, delete, and consolidate the clip. I think that's the fastest way.

In arrangement view you could also highlight the section you don't want and delete time, assuming it's the only clip in that section of the track.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

HandlingByJebus posted:

In arrangement view you could also highlight the section you don't want and delete time, assuming it's the only clip in that section of the track.
Delete time (ctrl+shift+del) also works in the midi note editor

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I've been using Live since 6 and I'm still astounded by the amount of poo poo I still don't know

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

loving awesome, that's perfect. Yeah I've been using Ableton for like 6 or 7 years too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't suppose anyone has a spare Live Lite key they're not using? They're thrown in with a lot of hardware.

I'm really just at the "pushing keys on my keyboard" stage of production so I doubt I need anything more than Lite until I get my feet under me. I've got Live Lite 6 tied to my Ableton account but I don't think that will even install on anything I own these days.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Don't suppose anyone has a spare Live Lite key they're not using? They're thrown in with a lot of hardware.

I'm really just at the "pushing keys on my keyboard" stage of production so I doubt I need anything more than Lite until I get my feet under me. I've got Live Lite 6 tied to my Ableton account but I don't think that will even install on anything I own these days.

You can do a lot even at the "pushing keys on my keyboard" stage. As evinced by the crap I've put out so far.
http://soundcloud.com/bloodkvlt

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I know you can get a free current lite license through the Korg Gadget iOS app (HIGHLY recommended as a digital audio sketchpad)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hexenritter posted:

You can do a lot even at the "pushing keys on my keyboard" stage. As evinced by the crap I've put out so far.
http://soundcloud.com/bloodkvlt

Gives me hope that my meager pokings can come out sounding good, thanks :)

derekcooper posted:

I know you can get a free current lite license through the Korg Gadget iOS app (HIGHLY recommended as a digital audio sketchpad)

Whuff -- if I used my iPad more I would be all over this. Definitely going to look at this closer next paycheck. Thanks!

edit: gently caress waiting, I bought this and it's exactly what I was looking for. This is beyond amazing and I'm actually having a ton of fun sketching down ideas on my iPad. Export to Ableton is a huge plus.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 14, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dj bobby bieber posted:

Yes. Most useful thing to know is that if you shift-record, you'll create a new midi clip in arrangement mode instead of session.

-Arrangement Mode User

thinking strongly about pulling the trigger on push, is it worth paying more for 2nd gen?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

well why not posted:

thinking strongly about pulling the trigger on push, is it worth paying more for 2nd gen?

Push 2 is amaze.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

Just the pads alone would justify the higher price but pretty much everything else is improved, too. I'd say go for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

looking into it deeper now - if my music revovles around electrohouse, dubstep and future bass ish genres, is it still a sensible choice? People seem to mostly use Push for hip hop stuff and I'm concerned Push would be an ill fit.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Well, I suppose that just probably means that you'll use less of the sampling-oriented things. I don't do hip hop either but I still find Push very useful for playing/recording/editing notes and drum patterns, clip/scene control and tweaking synth parameters.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

well why not posted:

I think it is, but I challenged myself to record some stuff on it exclusively (got rid of my MIDI keyboard) to see how it would integrate with my flow. If you're looking for a lower barrier to entry, the Push 1 has a lot of the workflow options - P2 just really refined it and made it better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gonna dip into the store tomorrow and see if they'll let me mess with it. Cheers friends!

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I have the first gen, I don't do hip hop or primarily electronic stuff, I still absolutely love it. Game changer for me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I got it! Very expensive, very cool. Didn't realise it was metal. Cool package, too.

edit: hahahah wow how do you do stuff with this thing? Having trouble figuring out the best way to use it to program in chords + melodies to arrangement.

edit 2: It comes with an UNDO button?!!? This is amazing

well why not fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 20, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just started donking around with Live Lite but I really love it. I'm seeing some things that I'm already looking to Standard or Suite to (slice to MIDI for DnB breaks for example) but overall I'm really enjoying it. Really thinking about treating myself with a Standard Push package for Xmas after seeing what it can do. I'm not sure I /need/ it, but at this point if I upgrade I might as well dump some money in rather than wanting it later. Hell, if I end up not using it I can probably resell it anyway.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you want old-school DnB feel, put simplers in a drum rack loaded with the same break, fiddle with start/end points so the first pad plays 1st beat starting on kick and ends just before the snare, next pad starts on 2nd beat for snare etc etc. No release so parts only play as note is held. It doesn't take too long to chop a break like this into 4ths or usable chunks of shuffle and whatnot.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have the first Push and have used it a bit for getting at some different ideas, but have had a hard time really getting into it as a regular tool. I am on the road a lot and rely very heavily on my APC40mk2, which I love, both for home and live use. The Push2 definitely looks like an improvement over the original but I still have a hard time envisioning how I'd fit it into my normal workflow either composing or performing.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I just figured out tonight that after the latest update, Push 2 lets you select audio inputs on tracks. So if you're jamming on one external synth and want to make different sounds or change patches and lay down multiple tracks, you can now do it right from the push. Nice!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Does the glissando note bend/slide flat out not work with VSTs? I remember getting it to work in the past but that might have been with built-in instruments.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
That depends on the VST. You might need to end the 1st note after the 2nd note has started.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Export your sequenced iOS stuff to an Ableton project. This is really something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk78uJCLd80

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its very convenient that booting up ableton and loading up all those samples took exactly the same amount of time as the break in that tune what a great feature!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

anyone having CPU issues with the latest version of Live? My MacBook Pro is cranking up the fans even when Ableton is idle on an empty project.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Friends, how can I have Ableton superimpose audio effects onto incoming signal in real time? As in, I want to plug a guitar in through an audio interface and hear it's sound with effects from Ableton through the speakers as I play, right now I only get the clear sound and can only add effects onto the recorded piece. Is that even possible? Also, can I do the same with a midi keyboard?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What you want is what should happen by default assuming you put the desired effects on the track you are monitoring/recording to in Live. Maybe you are direct monitoring the input signal via your audio interface rather than monitoring in Live? Gonna need more info on how you have things setup on both the hardware and software side.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Does anyone have a basic primer for tweaking recording latency in Ableton so that when I record external hardware, it more accurately lines up to ableton's grid? I'm not a noob to the concept - I've tweaked some completely insane setups in the past to fix latency across hundreds of MIDI channels and stuff like that - but I'm new to Ableton.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I'm going to throw out a shameless plug here to find a buddy to start bouncing ideas and sharing knowledge with. Here is my crappy resume:

-Used Ableton on/off for about 3 years (mostly off)
-Have never completed a single track, but have dozens of ideas/loops
-Influences include: deadmau5, Madeon, Porter Robinson, Seven Lions, Lane 8, Feed Me, Louis La Roche
-VSTs I use regularly: Massive, Sausage Fattener, OTT, Sylenth (I only recently started purchasing VSTs)

In the last 6-8 months, I have started to really dive into Ableton by watching a lot of tutorials related to sound design, mixing, and mastering and then working on my own to replicate sounds or experiment with synthesis.

One problem I have found (and this is probably due to personality) is that I need feedback and collaboration to really push me forward on an idea or track I have started. I have a tendency to second guess myself to the point where I stall on developing an idea into an actual track.

I was hoping that there might be someone on these forums with around the same skill level or experience, with similar taste in music, who would want to start sharing ideas and giving feedback on our projects.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
20% off Push and Packs till Jan 11th: https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Plavski posted:

20% off Push and Packs till Jan 11th: https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

I have been waiting for Push2 to go on sale, thanks buddy!