Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Fuel filter update: I ended up sawing off the steel fuel line and using nylon hose and clamps to connect directly to the fuel filter. Front side quick connect was still good. Nice and dry after a test drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
T-boned a woman in a Mercedes who ran a red light.

:rip: sweet Teg

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Spent 6 hours replacing all 4 motor mounts on the corolla. I was expecting more tearing after 20 years, but I can barely tell when the engine is running now so its been a substantial upgrade. Of course, since I dropped the subframe, I need an alignment now and since the car was in the rust belt, all the splash tray bolts snapped so I get to drill and tap a bunch of bolts tomorrow.

As much of a pain in the rear end it was to do, it feels good now that the job is finally done. Something checked off my long todo list.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dagen H posted:

Aw man, that sucks :( I love those Tegs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dagen H posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Dagen H posted:

Goodnight Sweet Prince :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I know what 14" is fixing next.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

Rhyno posted:

Well I know what 14" is fixing next.

enough about your drat hot sauce! :wink:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dagen H posted:

Aw drat. I always loved Tegs, and miss the hell out of mine.

Looks like the teg took it well, at least. Looks like it's just the front clip (but even that isn't really worth fixing on a 20+ year old car... assuming the frame horn didn't get damaged), and I'm assuming/hoping you walked away with whiplash at the worst? :ohdear:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No injuries, thank you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's what really matters. The Teg can be replaced.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Today I looked at my car and just said gently caress it and took the bus instead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Changed the oil on the s2k. Tomorrow I'll give it a wash and throw the cover on to store it for winter. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Today I looked at my car and just said gently caress it and took the bus instead.

Need one of these:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Need one of these:

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I really wanted to do a followup to plugging ports on my buddy's radiator, but I opted to get some actual (if menial) done instead- I wasn't feeling particularly T.T. inspired after staying up late/early.

Right blinker has been annoyingly fast, but works fine. Replaced the bulbs, and finally traced to a hokey ground to the bulb socket itself. Cleaned the whole drat thing and now it is no longer aferd that I'm running half blinked. For now.

Passenger side window has been hokey to roll up for the last few weeks, so I finally tore apart the switchpack. Well, it wasn't the metal contacts (I had just cleaned them in June/July)- the plastic recess of the button that sits atop the toggle decided to get weak and slowly peel away from the housing, so it wasn't holding taut enough to activate. Superglue times.

Fixed the seat cover/memory switch which has been broken since I got it back after an extended loan.

I also replaced the entire wiper spindle frame in the 2006 9-3 with one I pulled from the junkyard. The one I pulled was an aftermarket system made with a nice strong metal swivel setup, whereas the factory one used nasty plastic pivots that broke down due to a decade of heat. Free motor with the frame meant only 4 bolts to remove! (Whoever replaced it before did a really lovely job and destroyed the connector, so I had a few minutes of dremel fun to remove all of the glue.)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Been a busy week vehicle-wise for me. Last Saturday the Civic hatch went adios in trade for a Suzuki DR350SE. Then on Thursday the F150 also went away. We weren't driving it but once a week so instead of paying a payment on it every month we sold it outright for more than we owed. We are using some of the cash today to buy an older truck, most likely a Nissan Frontier, since we still need an occasional (like once a week) truck for farm type duties like hauling wood and chickens, and some light off-road stuff. Today I changed the oil in the Prelude and put a new chain on the DR. Nice simple maintenance feels good to get done.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Woah, we're halfway there.

I got tired and my back hurt. Hopefully I can snare an extra set of hands to finish up tomorrow. Looks pretty decent for my first time, best viewed from a respectable distance.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Did a bit of suspension and brake work on the C70. Front and rear rotors and pads replaced with brembo and akebono bits, right sight control arm and balljoint replaced (:argh: thanks Volvo), swaybar endlinks replaced with some nice IPD upgrades. It handles a lot better now and doesn't "crash" over bumps quite as badly either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

N is for Nipples posted:

Woah, we're halfway there.

I got tired and my back hurt. Hopefully I can snare an extra set of hands to finish up tomorrow. Looks pretty decent for my first time, best viewed from a respectable distance.

I thought you had an F-150?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I thought you had an F-150?

I did. :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's over 10,000 miles out but I made a note in my fuel log when I need to pay attention to my odometer so I can get it lined up at 66666 and 66.6 on the trip OD.

Goals.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I tried to install my new shift linkage on to my 944.

First step that wasn't remove wheel and I got a spanner stuck on the linkage. The worst part is I can't undo the other side because I need that spanner for it. So the spanner is stuck to the car.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

GarageLine hood struts. Installed yesterday, fixed today. They didn't come with instructions (or stickers, wtf) so I ended up doing the hood mounts backwards the first time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ansith posted:

I tried to install my new shift linkage on to my 944.

First step that wasn't remove wheel and I got a spanner stuck on the linkage. The worst part is I can't undo the other side because I need that spanner for it. So the spanner is stuck to the car.

This happened to me the other day with my motorcycle.

Stuck the torque wrench on the oil drain bolt to tighten it down, cranked around until tight. Whoops, I need to turn it forwards to get it back to the position I inserted it from, because it's a tight fit. poo poo, I can't turn it forwards any further because the bolt is tight, and my torque wrench only ratchets one direction.

Ended up having to take off the water pump to get the wrench back out. Durrrrrrrrrrr

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I own 3 9/16 gearwrenches for reasons like that. I would say I learned, but I own 3 not 2 so clearly that is not my strong point. drat np231 mounting nuts+studs...

Today I did an oilchange on the garbage forester, only 2 quarts came out. I am the PO. Then I dug into it to change the headlamps from the factory 01-02 style (plastic, yellowed as gently caress) to the glass 98-00 oem ones off my old red garbage forester. I broke a ton of trim and body clips, got them installed, discovered that the grille won't fit unless it is also 00-down style, went to hook up the wiring and found out the sockets on the harness were both charred to gently caress and one was held together with a huge gob of silicone (thanks PO...) so I bodged it for now and carried on. Then I found out that one, but not both, of the marker/turn lamp housings is already 00- while the other is 01+ and won't work with the 00- headlamp so that got ziptied in place for the drive home. Then went to close the hood and it had to be slammed to latch because the profile is different on that too and it presses on the 00- headlamps.

So before I had a lovely headlight and a half lovely headlight, now I have nice headlights with bodged wiring, a missing grille, a mildly hosed hood, and a ziptied in marker lamp. Junkyard is gonna love selling me poo poo this weekend! :shepspends:

Oh yeah, swapped a door card on the rear door I replaced so it would match the rest and I could bin the one that came with the door. Only broke one trim clip.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

So before I had a lovely headlight and a half lovely headlight, now I have nice headlights with bodged wiring, a missing grille, a mildly hosed hood, and a ziptied in marker lamp. Junkyard is gonna love selling me poo poo this weekend! :shepspends:

Don't you have all that poo poo off the old car? Or were the old bits also broken/fuckered?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Out comes the piece of poo poo B18

Rag in the exhaust because cyl #3 was sending so much oil through it was pooling in there and dripping on me

B16 gearbox with factory Type R diff goes together

B16A2 with rebuilt gearbox goes in.

20 hours over 2 days to get all that done between 2 of us.

Night Danger Moose posted:

GarageLine hood struts. Installed yesterday, fixed today. They didn't come with instructions (or stickers, wtf) so I ended up doing the hood mounts backwards the first time.

They're upside down :v:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 16, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

Don't you have all that poo poo off the old car? Or were the old bits also broken/fuckered?

I did! but uh, some idiot dragged them all to the scrapyard a few weekends ago :sigh:

I fortunately kept the marker lights, so no spending 30 bucks on that, and I am getting parts to upgrade the headlight plugs for cheap, but the hood and grille are gone and the hood was scratched and they were the wrong color anyways. Shouldn't cost me more than about 80 bucks once I find the right color donor at the yard and I will retain factory paint that way... my favorite way to match paint :v:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Crustashio posted:

They're upside down :v:
What difference does it make? Not bring snarky, I really don't know if having them this way is worse for them.

Edit: my hatch struts are mounted the same way.

Night Danger Moose fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 16, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Worked on replacing the motor mounts and only got the easiest to reach mount done in 3-4 hours :shepface: . The rubber of the old mount feels hard as a rock compared to the new one, I couldn't get it to flex at all by hand. The stupid loving nuts that attach the mount to the motor fought me the entire way. When I tried loosening them it instead unscrewed the studs from the motor, and I had to slowly unscrew the nuts from the studs. There's some noticeable improvement already with just that one mount replaced. The car doesn't vibrate and rattle at idle now, and I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it feels after I get the other mounts swapped out.

Did this mount again. Maybe the new mount would have lasted more than 2 years if I had neutralized the mounts instead of tightening everything up before driving it. Also, the studs came unscrewed from the motor instead of the nuts just like last time. :argh:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Night Danger Moose posted:

What difference does it make? Not bring snarky, I really don't know if having them this way is worse for them.

Edit: my hatch struts are mounted the same way.

Most gas struts I've dealt with need to be upside down for the damping to work on the extension stroke. Generally they are nitrogen filled for spring force with some oil so when the piston nears full stroke it passes into the oil and moves at a slower speed. But those hatch struts aren't mounted that way, so :shrug:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Got ready to change my oil, and made the mistake of leaving my hood up when distracted by another project. Wind picked up, KA-SLAM! It's down flush. The pin is far beyond the locking point and the latch is pointing towards the radiator. FML. :bang:

..will probably be covered in snow tomorrow. :toot:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

West SAAB Story posted:

Got ready to change my oil, and made the mistake of leaving my hood up when distracted by another project. Wind picked up, KA-SLAM! It's down flush. The pin is far beyond the locking point and the latch is pointing towards the radiator. FML. :bang:

..will probably be covered in snow tomorrow. :toot:
I had my hood opened two days ago looking at my relays. Was using my phone for a flashlight until my dad came out. We did stuff, decided to pack it in. He picked up some tools and I closed the hood. 5 minutes later "Did you happen to grab my phone?" Oops. Was laying flat on top of my radiator cover but somehow there was no damage. I got lucky.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Never really wrecked anything by closing the hood on it, but i have certainly dented the hood by doing it. That sucks :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Pulled the throttle body off of my '89 F150 today. It was a pain and I broke my cruise control cable in the process (well, the plastic shroud thing around it anyway, it disintegrated when I touched it).

:stonk: So originally I pulled it off to check the condition of the TB + the IAC Valve because the truck would not idle when starting up but I could keep it alive with gas...

This is what I found... would that amount of carbon on the TB explain that or do I have another problem somewhere related to the idle?

http://imgur.com/a/VItCF

How do I even clean the engine side?

The bolts to the TB were looking pretty bad too, I'm glad none of them broke. Funny enough, the IAC valve was totally fine. Inside looked clean and the electric components measured in spec at 9.3 ohms (spec is 7 to 13)

If cleaning these doesn't work I guess the next step is to look for vaccuum leaks? But I don't even know what hoses those are or where to start. The manuals I have must have them labeled as something else.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does your crank case vent back into the intake? that would explain the mess. Sea foam might losen a bit of that stuff ,but drat it's a lot.

excessive oil coming through the CCV could also be a sign of blowby from a well worn engine or buggered piston, again, seafoam is rumored to release carboned up oil rings and such, but that's a long shot. Looking for vacuum leaks, maybe check the plugs look for any fouled by oil.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Powershift posted:

Does your crank case vent back into the intake? that would explain the mess. Sea foam might losen a bit of that stuff ,but drat it's a lot.

excessive oil coming through the CCV could also be a sign of blowby from a well worn engine or buggered piston, again, seafoam is rumored to release carboned up oil rings and such, but that's a long shot. Looking for vacuum leaks, maybe check the plugs look for any fouled by oil.

Hmm I may need to check the EGR valve as well

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Razzled posted:

Hmm I may need to check the EGR valve as well

That looks like the inline 6? if so then theres a few small vacuum hoses under the intake that love to get brittle and turn to dust. With how you described that cable shattering its not to far fetched those vacuum lines are falling apart or gone. And the way you say you need to keep the gas steady to keep it running screams intake leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like the 5.8.

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?p=48736

Also looks like a bundle of fun.