Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Rockopolis posted:

Are they working towards drone tanks, like sticking the crew behind the fighty bit of the tank at the end of a really long cable?
Like going from a knife to a spear to a pike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletank ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I didn't know there was something cuter than a tankette.
Pretty much. I was just thinking of a downside to drones is that they can be hacked, but if it's not wireless?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Pretty much. I was just thinking of a downside to drones is that they can be hacked, but if it's not wireless?

The wire could be cut super easily by any artillery fire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

I didn't know there was something cuter than a tankette.

Goliaths just want to be hugged :(

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Didn't know the US had captured anything from the Lilliputians.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

have you ever fought one of those fuckers? a rodelero'll gently caress your poo poo up

I thought of spehss marines at once, turns out I was thinking about this: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Deredeo_Pattern_Dreadnought

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Or Borgward IV?

It's kind of funny how both the Germans and the Soviets developed remote-controlled tanks independently of each other. Did the other nations come up with something similar?

The Borgward IV by the way, turned out to be too large and too heavy for its intended work. The smaller Goliaths were judged to be more dependable, even though they needed easily cut wires and the Borgward IV did not.

There was also another problem with the Borgward IV: The Wehrmacht never quite got the idea of using two vehicles for the same thing, so instead of using a second tank to control the drone tank, operators had to drive the Borgward IV itself to the target area. Then they got out and remote-controlled the thing into the danger zone. Of course this meant every time something went wrong the operators found themselves suddenly on foot.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I am the guy whose job it is to drive half a ton of explosives to juuust outside the danger zone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

aphid_licker posted:

I am the guy whose job it is to drive half a ton of explosives to juuust outside the danger zone.

So uh, does ACDC play in your head when you detonate the payload?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably only if there's an MSR between him and the danger zone.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I like to blast some sick riffs while I blast

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Has anybody got information on how to build a fallout shelter? I, uh, might need one soon.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
does anyone have any particularly good books on successful revolutions/uprisings/protest/resistance movements etc?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"Civil Wars Are Actually a Really Bad Idea No Matter How Much You Don't Like the Guy" by every nation that's ever had one.

On a more serious note, can't go wrong with "Civil Disobedience" by Thoreau as a starter.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 10, 2016

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Are there any examples of Russian / U.S military co-operation?

Just thinking about a potential super slamdown in Syria with Trump and Putin holding hands...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Just thinking about a potential super slamdown in Syria with Trump and Putin holding hands...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is a good one

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Boxer Rebellion:

Troops of the Eight-Nation Alliance in 1900. Left to right: Britain, United States, Australia, India, Germany, France, Russia, Italy, and Japan.

So the Austrians seem to be missing.

Top right is the Russian Naval Ensign.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 10, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the guys in the top pic are arranged by height :3:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Japanese soldier looks almost disappointed in how he isn't nearly as blinged out as anyone else in that photo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

Troops of the Eight-Nation Alliance in 1900. Left to right: Britain, United States, Australia, India, Germany, France, Russia, Italy, and Japan.

They all look like typical 1900 soldiers, and then the Australian guy is some loving guerrilla covered in ammo belts.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

the guys in the top pic are arranged by height :3:

There's a new police recruitment poster in the subway and for all the militarization of the police force they couldn't learn to stand in a straight line arranged by height, so it looks like absolute poo poo.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Don Gato posted:

The Japanese soldier looks almost disappointed in how he isn't nearly as blinged out as anyone else in that photo.

is he wearing his great coat across his chest?

chitoryu12 posted:

They all look like typical 1900 soldiers, and then the Australian guy is some loving guerrilla covered in ammo belts.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

is he wearing his great coat across his chest?
have you never seen a bedroll before? you roll up your blanket and groundsheet into a sausage and sling it across your chest

the german's got his over his backpack. ed: and also the french?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 10, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

Boxer Rebellion:

What the hell is going on with the Italian's hat?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

have you never seen a bedroll before? you roll up your blanket and groundsheet into a sausage and sling it across your chest

the german's got his over his backpack. ed: and also the french?

hah, i've never carried it on the chest

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

i've only seen them on the bersaglieri before this

maybe he is one

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

hah, i've never carried it on the chest
weird, where did you put it?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Italy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ainsley McTree posted:

Feathers. Which was already explained, but I just wanted to post this pic.

The raddest motorcycle gang.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
really it's just a shame we'll never get to see what plumes and poo poo would look like on modern uniforms. i look forward to camouflage becoming obsolete one day so we can finally move on from the 19th century dress ones.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Koramei posted:

really it's just a shame we'll never get to see what plumes and poo poo would look like on modern uniforms. i look forward to camouflage becoming obsolete one day so we can finally move on from the 19th century dress ones.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Feathers. Which was already explained, but I just wanted to post this pic.

The raddest motorcycle gang.
look at 19943 (or 19945?? numbers too small) over there eyeing the camera, what a saucy devil

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was thinking that, dude looks like a loving condottiero.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It seems like the feather might get in your eyes a little

Koramei posted:

i look forward to camouflage becoming obsolete one day so we can finally move on from the 19th century dress ones.

This is an element of my sci fi series that will be huge some day I swear

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

These dudes are standing way too close together, right?

Isn't it the case with pike formations that they need to huddle close together like that if they're bracing against a cavalry charge, but keep a bit of room between themselves if they're going against infantry as to be able to draw their swords upon closing? So the men would have one hand holding their pikes while the other would be on their swords, ready to draw.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Looking at 'em from my jaded 21st-century eyes (XXI century for you Europeans), it looks like only him, the Australian, and maybe the yank and the limey are the only ones actually ready for a 20th-century war.

(the joke is that none of them were)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Does anyone have any information on what WWI would have looked like (combat plans, technology, politics, etc.) had WWI continued into 1919? I don't need a full picture, just anything you have. Also, does anyone have info on British infantry tactics from 1944-1945 in the ETO? I need something on a platoon level. I might be participating in a RPG campaign based around a platoon transported to a generic fantasy world and, since I'll be playing the LT in charge of the platoon, I want to get things right.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Does anyone have any information on what WWI would have looked like (combat plans, technology, politics, etc.) had WWI continued into 1919? I don't need a full picture, just anything you have. Also, does anyone have info on British infantry tactics from 1944-1945 in the ETO? I need something on a platoon level. I might be participating in a RPG campaign based around a platoon transported to a generic fantasy world and, since I'll be playing the LT in charge of the platoon, I want to get things right.

Have you looked at the GURPS WWII series by SJG? They're RPG-focused and from my memory (don't have the PDFs handy on this computer), they talk about each nations' squad/platoon organization throughout the war. The general focus is on the ETO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Have you looked at the GURPS WWII series by SJG? They're RPG-focused and from my memory (don't have the PDFs handy on this computer), they talk about each nations' squad/platoon organization throughout the war. The general focus is on the ETO.

Thanks. One thing I'm looking at is there was a headquarters section and i don't know how that participated in combat. They also mention that infantry units often used Universal Carriers, but they don't mention how they were used to transport the troops. The average company was assigned 10 of them but it doesn't mention how they were parceled out or used in combat.