Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

negromancer posted:

Is google like, not a thing where you live?

Do you not know about the "Right of Return" Jews in America have with Israel?

Like, how are you asking these basic questions while also possessing an internet connection?

Dude wishes Lincoln had deported all the blacks to Liberia or whatever and separated the races.

Because he is not at all a raging racist mad that his race isn't on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
remember when jimmy carter deliberately abandoned the unions

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Constantine XI posted:

So did white people elect Trump because they genuinely believe he'll do a great job, or just as a giant middle finger to the establishment? If it's the latter I don't see cutting off your nose to spite your face as a wise long term strategy.

exit polls would seem to indicate that a large (but not majority) portion of both sides did this

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

negromancer posted:

Is google like, not a thing where you live?

Do you not know about the "Right of Return" Jews in America have with Israel?

Like, how are you asking these basic questions while also possessing an internet connection?

Because they are not basic questions? I'm sorry I don't know every weird acronym you use or all about the foreign policy of Israel.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder if the Clintons really will consider leaving the country? Trump was very conciliatory in his victory speech, talking about how the public owes a debt to Hillary for her service and not one Lock Her Up chant, but he was so unambiguous about his plans to jail her during the campaign. True, Trump'll probably backtrack on all sorts of poo poo but staying would still be a gamble, but on the other hand fleeing the country would cause a bit of a panic and be read as either an overreaction or confirmation of her guilt. Even if Trump's eased off his previous accusations, his fans haven't forgotten, a lot of the victory talk so far has crowed about how soon Clinton will be jailed, her foundation closed, and investigators will start in on the Obama administration.

On that note, I wonder what'll happen to Comey? He flip-flopped weirdly with the investigation stuff in the final days, I don't know if the finale take on him by Trump and his fans will be that he's part of the ~rigged system~ or if he was being silenced. Maybe he'll bullshit out some excuse to indict Hillary and let AG Giuliani or Christie prosecute her, and Trump'll wave it off like hey it's out of his hands.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

BarbarianElephant posted:

Hope you'll still be laughing when Trump ploughs the economy into the ground.

Him and the republicans will just blame Obummer.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Not a Step posted:

Dude wishes Lincoln had deported all the blacks to Liberia or whatever
Something I heard multiple well respected teachers say in my high end suburban Midwestern high school, btw.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

JawKnee posted:

exit polls would seem to indicate that a large (but not majority) portion of both sides did this

I'm not sure I can trust polls anymore, but I sure do hope my District wins the first Hunger Games!

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Constantine XI posted:

So did white people elect Trump because they genuinely believe he'll do a great job, or just as a giant middle finger to the establishment? If it's the latter I don't see cutting off your nose to spite your face as a wise long term strategy.

Trump actually pandered to what they wanted (jobs) and used the same style of campaign that Obama did.

"Hope and Change" vs "Make America Great Again"

Basically, selling people on promise and such.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Because my life has now devolved into making maps and self loathing: Here is the electoral map if you put the votes John Kerry, The Worst Democrat Candidate got and adjust for population growth.

hillary clinton was a miserable, miserable candidate.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Not a Step posted:

Dude wishes Lincoln had deported all the blacks to Liberia or whatever and separated the races.

What? When did I say anything like this?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dolash posted:

I wonder if the Clintons really will consider leaving the country? Trump was very conciliatory in his victory speech, talking about how the public owes a debt to Hillary for her service and not one Lock Her Up chant, but he was so unambiguous about his plans to jail her during the campaign. True, Trump'll probably backtrack on all sorts of poo poo but staying would still be a gamble, but on the other hand fleeing the country would cause a bit of a panic and be read as either an overreaction or confirmation of her guilt. Even if Trump's eased off his previous accusations, his fans haven't forgotten, a lot of the victory talk so far has crowed about how soon Clinton will be jailed, her foundation closed, and investigators will start in on the Obama administration.

On that note, I wonder what'll happen to Comey? He flip-flopped weirdly with the investigation stuff in the final days, I don't know if the finale take on him by Trump and his fans will be that he's part of the ~rigged system~ or if he was being silenced. Maybe he'll bullshit out some excuse to indict Hillary and let AG Giuliani or Christie prosecute her, and Trump'll wave it off like hey it's out of his hands.

Trump is a liar and an opportunist - this has not hurt his campaign, and I am curious what the electorate will do in 2018 and 2020 when he doesn't build an impossible wall or ban muslims or invade Iran. (He'll still do a lot of other terrible poo poo though, or rather the Rep Senate/House will, with nothing to stop them)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

negromancer posted:

You have it backwards.

THEY hate US. They always have. Why the gently caress should we be the ones extending any olive branch when they pretty much try to gently caress us at every turn when we do?

gently caress that noise.

They need to come to the table and actually try not to be racist and sexist shitheads, then we can work together.

They just won, you fool. They don't have to do anything

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

bawbzilla posted:

maybe I'm taking what captain magic said the wrong way but I think the argument could be made that educating racist perspectives in a positive way is possible and even the best way to address them?

Liberal anti-racist efforts have largely been a flowery "we're all the saaaaaame guys" and glossing over very real differences between peoples rather than accepting there are differences and educating people that they aren't threats to your existence or beliefs.

Racists on the other hand have exclusively capitalized on emphasizing the differences as a bad, threatening thing and it intuitively makes sense to people because it's pointing an obvious difference out as opposed to other groups that try to just say everything is the same.

A great example of this in action could be education programs in the state of Alaska that have Alaska Native groups coming into elementary classes and sharing their culture and talking about how it's different. It's taking a very obvious difference in lifestyle and beliefs, making it familiar, and demonstrating that it isn't destroying anyone else's way of life. If nothing else, you could get mere-exposure effects to take the edge off stupid racist bullshit.

We are all the same, its just that race, period doesn't exist. liberals like race to still exist.

Dolash posted:

Comey is finished, like Ryan, an enemy. If they go after HRC, well guess who just emboldened the Dems and ensured the Clinton s have a permanent legacy? ALso you bet HRC would take it, it ensures she'll get her statue.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Constantine XI posted:

It's neither, because downballot they voted 99% of the same establishment shitheads that have been loving them for years.

So it wasn't an anti-establishment anything. It was pure white nationalism as a backlash to what they saw as minorities getting ahead while they stayed still, because they were too busy coasting off of white privilege for 200 years.

Not a Step posted:

Yes, wanting to be treated as an equal and having my life matter = raging racist.

Go gently caress yourself.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

JawKnee posted:

Trump is a liar and an opportunist - this has not hurt his campaign, and I am curious what the electorate will do in 2018 and 2020 when he doesn't build an impossible wall or ban muslims or invade Iran. (He'll still do a lot of other terrible poo poo though, or rather the Rep Senate/House will, with nothing to stop them)

I wish people would quit saying this, as if his base is even capable of turning away from him. He finally let them be as openly bigoted and hateful as they've wanted to be since Obama was elected. He could just go on vacation for four years and not lose any of his core support. They would compliment on how much he loves to stick it to the man.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

What? When did I say anything like this?

That right of return nonsense is longing for the ability to fly off to some black homeland and get given land on whatever the black equivalent of a kibbutz is because he can't hack it in a mixed race society where his race isn't on top. President Lincoln had the exact same weird rear end plan because the guy was progressive but not *that* progressive and believed blacks would be better off back in Africa rather than living among whites, so he offered to fund a black colony and free transportation for anyone who wanted to abandon country and go live in a black wonderland.

E: It was the other guy, not you

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
In these trying times, I'm glad I can rely on the fine people at CNN to deliver the "BREAKING NEWS" that Donald Trump has been elected president.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Not a Step posted:

That right of return nonsense is longing for the ability to fly off to some black homeland and get given land on whatever the black equivalent of a kibbutz is because he can't hack it in a mixed race society where his race isn't on top. President Lincoln had the exact same weird rear end plan because the guy was progressive but not *that* progressive and believed blacks would be better off back in Africa rather than living among whites, so he offered to fund a black colony and free transportation for anyone who wanted to abandon country and go live in a black wonderland.

Oh sorry, I didn't really get his post and he refused to explain it, thanks for doing it in his stead!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

I wish people would quit saying this

Saying which, that trump is a liar/opportunist? That he won't do impossible things (or maybe you mean they aren't impossible)?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

I wish people would quit saying this, as if his base is even capable of turning away from him. He finally let them be as openly bigoted and hateful as they've wanted to be since Obama was elected. He could just go on vacation for four years and not lose any of his core support. They would compliment on how much he loves to stick it to the man.

Yeah, what has to happen is that the Dems have to put forward a decent candidate that gets people to vote for them, that was why we lost this one

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Whie a few of Trump supporters could be peeled, what we really need to do is bring back the ten million non voters who use to vote democrat. Yes they should have voted, but thats beyond the point. If they had voted we'd have had a landslide and the goal should be figuring out what kept them from voting for Clinton.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Yeah, what has to happen is that the Dems have to put forward a decent candidate that gets people to vote for them, that was why we lost this one

what should this candidate appeal to in order to win back the rust belt states that Clinton lost?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Maybe the Democrats should have nominated Jim Webb.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I want people who keep saying "they voted for Trump over economics" explain this:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/09/disturbing-acts-in-wellsville-at-canisius-college-follow-election-day/#link_time=1478728455

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/clout/400560361.html

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Not a Step posted:

Yeah, because not wanting to stay in a society that just gave the green light to police that black lives don't matter means "I can't hack it".

gently caress outta here with this bullshit.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't really get his post and he refused to explain it, thanks for doing it in his stead!

His explanation was racist nonsense.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

JawKnee posted:

what should this candidate appeal to in order to win back the rust belt states that Clinton lost?

The reason Clinton lost was not that she appealed to the wrong issues, but that she failed to get Democrats who nominally support those issues to come out and vote for her. Trump did worse than Romney in absolute numbers, Clinton just did way worse than Obama

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bushiz posted:

Because my life has now devolved into making maps and self loathing: Here is the electoral map if you put the votes John Kerry, The Worst Democrat Candidate got and adjust for population growth.

hillary clinton was a miserable, miserable candidate.

lol ban the clintons from politics forever

kick out all of their supporters

hail satan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Make White America Again"?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My dad thinks Trump will be indicted for fraud and embezzlement of campaign funds before he enters office. How likely is this?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Youth Decay posted:

My dad thinks Trump will be indicted for fraud and embezzlement of campaign funds before he enters office. How likely is this?

Not likely.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Youth Decay posted:

Not very.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

The reason Clinton lost was not that she appealed to the wrong issues, but that she failed to get Democrats who nominally support those issues to come out and vote for her. Trump did worse than Romney in absolute numbers, Clinton just did way worse than Obama

Okay, but that doesn't change my question - what should they do?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
List of things that Trump can do through executive actions that he has confirmed he will do since he won the election:

- Withdraw from Paris Climate Accords.
- Lift the ban on "enhanced interrogation" by the CIA and military.
- Nominate a new Supreme Court Justice
- Appoint a new FCC chair and develop new net neutrality rules not based on Title II
- Direct the new FCC chair to investigation libel liability under current law for news networks on public airwaves
- Direct the EPA to no longer enforce mercury and coal ash rules established under the "Clean Power Plan"
- Repeal the executive order requiring Federal Agency Heads and Regulators to divest themselves of any business interests or ownership from industries under their jurisdiction
- Reinstate the international "gag rule" for abortion and contraception.
- Direct the Justice Department to conduct an investigation into in-person voter fraud.
- Direct the Department of Agriculture to audit the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Nominate Department Heads for all Executive Cabinet Level Appointments
- Withdraw from the "Big 6" group of participants in the Iran Nuclear deal
- Freeze Iranian financial assets in American banking institutions
- Direct Immigration and Customs Enforcement to review the e-verify system and increase random investigations of businesses suspected of using undocumented immigrants
- Direct the Department of Health and Human Services to allow insurers greater flexibility in plan options by altering Required Minimum Benefit (RMB) floors and mandates to provide contraception coverage to all plan participants with no co-pays.

List of things that Trump needs congress to do that he has confirmed he intends to do in his first 100 days since he won the election:

- Confirm his Supreme Court nominee.
- Lower the top federal income tax bracket to 25%
- Eliminate the capital gains tax on the first $500,000 of income. Set the rate to 10% for all income after.
- Repeal Obamacare
- Block grant Medicaid funds to states
- Implement work requirements for SNAP recipients
- Allow interstate purchase of health insurance plans
- Reinstate sanctions on Iran's exports of petroleum
- Fund $1 Trillion in Infrastructure Spending through $120 billion in tax incentives
- Authorize spending for and construction of a border wall spanning the entire US-Mexico border

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 10, 2016

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

JawKnee posted:

Okay, but that doesn't change my question - what should they do?

Nominate someone with charisma and not 30 years of political baggage

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

the better question is: How much do I want actual president Pence rather than technically president from the shadows Pence

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Whie a few of Trump supporters could be peeled, what we really need to do is bring back the ten million non voters who use to vote democrat. Yes they should have voted, but thats beyond the point. If they had voted we'd have had a landslide and the goal should be figuring out what kept them from voting for Clinton.

Clinton was a super bad candidate who had no charisma, was generally considered untrustworthy, was uninspiring to anyone who wanted anything other than 'IM A WOMAN', and offered no solace to rust belt America. Black man Obama won notoriously racist rural whites by being charming as gently caress and promising them the hope of a better tomorrow. White woman Clinton told them America was Already Great and offered some wonky poo poo that doesnt translate well. Big surprise they didn't turn out for Clinton.

You gotta throw the rustbelt a bone and a hope for something better than their disintegrating lives if you want them to vote for you. Trump promised them it he would bring jobs back and Make America Great Again. It was all lies but they don't give a poo poo, someone paid attention to them.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

We are all the same, its just that race, period doesn't exist. liberals like race to still exist.

We aren't all the same and that's half the battle is accepting it. Even if we're strictly talking biological level w/r/t biological racism, it shouldn't come down to the science of us being incredibly genetically similar, it should be a moral argument because if you say we're all the same and that gets disproven, it inherently would justify discriminatory beliefs as more valid. It's easy to point to a concept like race because it can acknowledge and account for differences even while liberals are trying to persuade everyone that we're all the same.

Culturally, humans are extremely diverse in beliefs, lifestyles, practice, religion, etc.. Saying we're all the same only adds fuel to discriminatory fires.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crowsbeak posted:

People thought high early voting numbers meant a huge turnout. Turns out, it just moved the numbers around meaninglessly.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Nominate someone with charisma and not 30 years of political baggage

Could you go into more depth about how 'more charisma' would help? (I'll point out, ahead of time, that I am not an American)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm past the depression and bargaining stages, for now. I'm ready for action. What can we do to stave off Trump and Pence's lovely policies? Is there a battle plan anywhere?

• Locked thread