Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fidel Castronaut posted:

We have them but haven't been giving them the attention they deserve. I mean, I love Beyonce but her brand of feminism is very safe and very neoliberal-friendly. There are artists and activists on the fringe that we need to boost. And, hopefully, we don't consider them fringe this time around.

No, as a good friend to a lot of them, loving hide those people. They disproportionately scare a bunch of stupid boring idiots that still vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

A lot of people on my Twitter feed were reminding me that this election occurred after the repeal of the voting rights act. I agree that the repeal of that act sucks, but is there any evidence that it had a notable effect on the outcome of this election?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

100 degrees Calcium posted:

A lot of people on my Twitter feed were reminding me that this election occurred after the repeal of the voting rights act. I agree that the repeal of that act sucks, but is there any evidence that it had a notable effect on the outcome of this election?

NC african american turnout down in the hundreds of thousands

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

lol & ty for my future sig

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Phi230 posted:

all you fuckin milk drinkers need to stop with the defeatist bullshit

oh woe is me im gonna cry and moan and whine and be so shook im depressed

you gotta get mad

get mean

speak the only language that the GOP understands and that is to say gently caress you and fight them at every opportunity

march in the streets and get your drat voice out there.

this guy, I'm thinking this guy is on to something

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

100 degrees Calcium posted:

minority turnout was down but good luck puzzling out exactly what caused it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

lol nothing matters

it's true.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

make the "death is certain wizard" the background image for c-spam please

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

NecroMonster posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phi230 posted:

oh dang

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's right. But that doesn't mean that Bernie was more electable. Maybe he could have convinced people who are normally Republican to vote for him enough to make up his defecit among minorities but I'm not so sure. Hillary won 14 of the largest 15 states in the country, most of which always vote for the Democratic candidate.

There are two things I'm trying to say. One, even though the party wanted Hillary and always has, that doesn't mean that the "rigging" stole it from Bernie, he factually still got 3.7 million less votes and if a"revolution" is side-tracked by a debate schedule and internal support the revolution was never going to happen. Second, Hillary's obvious failures in running her campaign don't make the argument that got her elected inherently wrong.

bernie's deficit with minorities was an idea that was manufactured by hillary's campaign and became a self-powered narrative and then a reality, i have serious doubts that it would have held in the general dude

and if the states that always vote D want one candidate while swingier states want another, it might be a good electoral strategy to run the latter candidate just saying

i was all in for hillary after she beat bernie but it's become pretty clear that americans are so gullible when it comes to made-up scandals that bernie was, counterintuitively, the more electable candidate

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Phi230 posted:

to be extremely fair, it's hard to tell if that's because of the voting rights act repeal or because the wife of "woops my laws locked up all of the blacks" ran for president

probably a bit of both

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GrimGypsy posted:

yeah ordinary partisanship is over, anger is the only language america understands lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
"Bernie can't win the south!"

*doesnt win the south*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Southpark predicted this whole thing awhile ago

people who get their politics from southpark are The Worst

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
we thought hillary was immune to scandal after so many years. we were wrong.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

logikv9 posted:

The poll data failed. All meaningful metrics of data failed. The only metric that saw this coming was this ear-to-the-ground highly anecdotal evidence that floated around, and that is functionally indistinguishable from your standard echochamber-repeat.

Actually, this type of backlash was observable as a possibility from a materialist analysis, although predictions from that kind of theory are don't have any immediate predictive power without hard data to wrap them around. You didn't have the right theory, so you didn't have the right conceptual tools for sifting data let alone interpreting it - the math nerds weren't looking at the right numbers in the first place.

Here's the thing I find really interesting - people were lying to the pollsters. There was so much social shaming about trump going around that people kept it bottled up inside. Then they just went full gently caress this gay earth in the poll booth.

Hey liberals. Shaming and value signalling as some kind of tool of social eugenics is a loving terrible idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guy DeBorgore posted:

we thought hillary was immune to scandal after so many years. we were wrong.

Yuppp

That's a good way to say it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dunno if i buy this shy tory crap. 'the polls are wrong because people literally didn't want to wear the hat' angle. is there any evidence of this. i think its more likely the polling methodology was wrong

edit: or actually, more like the methodology wasnt good enough because polling has become way harder

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 10, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

splifyphus posted:

Actually, this type of backlash was observable as a possibility from a materialist analysis, although predictions from that kind of theory are don't have any immediate predictive power without hard data to wrap them around. You didn't have the right theory, so you didn't have the right conceptual tools for sifting data let alone interpreting it - the math nerds weren't looking at the right numbers in the first place.

Here's the thing I find really interesting - people were lying to the pollsters. There was so much social shaming about trump going around that people kept it bottled up inside. Then they just went full gently caress this gay earth in the poll booth.

Hey liberals. Shaming and value signalling as some kind of tool of social eugenics is a loving terrible idea.

Uh maybe but not shaming rank racists and misogynists seems like conceding a lot

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

euphronius posted:

This shows the path to trump creating a electoral behemoth . I don't know if he can take it tho

Every Democrat needs to understand this.

DONALD TRUMP DID NOT FORGE OR CREATE A NEW COALITION.

He got nearly the same amount of votes as Romney did and a few less tha McCain. This election was lost because Democrats didn't turn up. People can differ about why this was the case and how to fix it but Donald Trump got the same basic block of voters Romney did. Seriously, look at the state by state numbers.

The point is, we are not entering 50 years of Conservative darkness. The next four years are going to SUCK. But more people wanted Hillary to be President than Trump. 2/3 of the country doesn't care about gay marriage, women in the miliary, abortions, etc. The next Democratic nominee needs to find a way to activate the 7 million voters who stayed home yesterday. Hell, even 2 million of them would get the job done. It's very very doable.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

:patriot:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

people who get their politics from southpark are The Worst

"perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zas posted:

i dunno if i buy this shy tory crap. 'the polls are wrong because people literally didn't want to wear the hat' angle. is there any evidence of this. i think its more likely their methodology was wrong

Everyone was predicting something like 2012 turnout

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the middle in this case is the space between the ground and the jackboot that your head occupies

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

Ebrnie

Was

Right

he was right back then

he was right now

he's too good for america, svck it :flipoff:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pick posted:

No, as a good friend to a lot of them, loving hide those people. They disproportionately scare a bunch of stupid boring idiots that still vote

Agreed, Obama let these people perform for his rallies but he didn't make them a loving centerpiece to the "show" that he pitched to the news networks to cover. They were incidental to the event, there to entice people to come jazz up the crowd for an extra hour while the candidate was traveling to the venue.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I still can't believe she had to send out a lackey to send everyone home and waited until loving 130pm the next day to give a consesion speach. What a poo poo end to a poo poo candidate.

The best thing to come out of this was watching reddit loving melt down throughout the night.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

NecroMonster posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I still can't believe she had to send out a lackey to send everyone home and waited until loving 130pm the next day to give a consesion speach. What a poo poo end to a poo poo candidate.

The best thing to come out of this was watching reddit loving melt down throughout the night.

I think she honestly had a breakdown .

That's pretty understandable

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

hillfolk on facebook update: still blaming bernie bros

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

lotsa protests in big cities right now

I'm trying to remember if W's win generated these but I don't think it did, at least not on a big scale

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I think she honestly had a breakdown .

That's pretty understandable

Got called later than the last two times too. Next morning isn't that nuts.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GrimGypsy posted:

its not even my idea

I look back and I see where we could succeed where our forebears failed.

If we had the unity, if we had the FIRE that the leaders we used to have then we would be in a much better place

again I say where are our leaders? BLM is a leaderless organization. Its biggest mistake.

Bernie is all we got. I see the fire that drives him. The fire from Civil Rights. The fire from the Vietnam era. The fire that we lack.

we have to show the right every single day that they are not welcome. we need to organize. No one-off protests. No impotent token acts of civil disobedience. We need the fire back.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
lmao @ a lot of things

- bernie bros taking so much poo poo over "she's the more electable candidate" and "she's the one who can actually Get Stuff Done :smug:" for so long
- DWS and the DNC being flaming garbagepiles full of idiots
- being repeatedly mocked/probated for thinking bernie was the better choice all along
- hillary clinton
- "pokemon go to the polls and vote!"
- "just chillin' in cedar rapids"
- "then why aren't i 50 points ahead in the polls!?"
- no concession speech until the next day
- clinton toxxes not getting enforced
- hillary clinton
- baloogan losing faith and still being able to gloat in the end
- "pragmatism"
- hillary clinton losing to donald loving trump :lol:
- the DNC and a lot of their garbage supporters still not getting it
- DWS resigned and hillary still lost hahahaha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I just want to add this about Bernie, and this comes from someone who was one of the first 30,000 or so who voted for him (Iowa).

He lost. Even with the party working against him, and actively wanting one candidate. He lost by 3.7 million votes, over 10% of the total votes cast. In your heart of hearts, do you really think he would have won absent some backroom dealing?

Keep this in mind, in 2008 the party desparately, desparately wanted Hillary. Obama got more votes and despite FLAGRANT chicanery like Florida/Michigan delegate whining, he became the nominee. Bernie simply did not do well with the populations that the Democratic party now depends on (minorities) to justify ignoring HIllary's win.

Was it right that the party clearly preferred and favored one candidate? No. Did it make a difference? I don't think so. You can mount a compelling argument that the process should be changed. But in the process as run, Bernie lost. He may have been right about what the electorate at large wanted, but he lost. At this point, I think you can say that the Clinton's hosed the whole thing because they sucked the air out of the party for 16 years and convinced or cajoled everyone in the org that Hillary's time had come so when the time came her platform seemed the most effective. That doesn't make the system rigged, it makes it politics.

Sanders needs to get the gently caress out of the Democratic party. He's offering economic policies that help the white working class, aka racists and bigots, at the expense of rich white social liberals. That's not tolerable anymore and anybody who supports that is just as bad as a Trump supporter. Populism is just as vile as racism and sexism and the enemy of social liberalism. Even worse, if we did get votes form it we'd be diluting minority votes with racist votes, anybody who advocates getting more white working votes is signing up with bigotry.

Sanders economic desires are dead in a socially liberal party, and the white working class is dead in one as well. Good riddance to both of them as well.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Vox Nihili posted:

hillfolk on facebook update: still blaming bernie bros

a battle as old as the invention of war

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/laurenevemay/status/796389752924700672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zas posted:

i dunno if i buy this shy tory crap. 'the polls are wrong because people literally didn't want to wear the hat' angle. is there any evidence of this. i think its more likely the polling methodology was wrong

edit: or actually, more like the methodology wasnt good enough because polling has become way harder

Polling not by state was wrong and thus the electoral college loss.

Shook Nate reporting that national polling was more accurate than 2012 and thus her general election win.

• Locked thread