Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phi230 posted:

5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above). Let's try to get this all done by noon today. -- Michael Moore

Yeah I'm sure the GOP will get right on board with replacing system that has given the US Bush jr and now Trump.

Phi230 posted:

NC african american turnout down in the hundreds of thousands

And going to be repeated across the nation. Gonna be hard for angry Democrats to vote when they have to wait in line for the better part of a day because there's been a tenfold, or worse, decrease in polling locations on top of reduced hours. Toss on a "when the polls close if you're in line still too bad gently caress you" law or two and it's an ALEC wet dream of suppression.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Imagine sandy hook or dylan roof happening and mr bing bong bing bong so simples guys being the one to have to talk to the nation about it

You say this as if hate crimes aren't going to get way more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

He's an Independent senator once again since the primaries were over and emails got out that the DNC hosed him over.

Repping that [I] until his next election which he will win with a blowout prolly.

Sanders will lead a progressive wave over congress and help make the changes he promised possible.

we can only hope. also im sorry for ever being a bitch to you. you were right. i was wrong. hillary was bad.

these loving idiots...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Three Olives posted:

I'm not discounting the idea that Trump does nothing his entire term but settle scores and try and personally enrich himself, he doesn't give a poo poo about trade deals or manufacturing or coal or anything that doesn't involve him.

Trump is a carnival barker that found a new mark, the white working class, he has no real ideology.

The only silver lining on this turd... Trump loves poo poo with his name on it so maybe America will get a bunch of infrastructure projects - I mean he wants to redo Laguardia... Maybe he'll make it into Trump International Airport... So much brass!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bump_fn posted:

no no you misunderstand im literally a loving moron talk to me like one. like what to i do? look up local chapters? i didn't get involved after 2004 and it haunts me to this day

Look up your local parties offices and volunteering stuff. Get involved in local primaries. You can get a lot of influence by just being that fucker who always shows up to every event. People naturally flock to those willing to bear burdens to get poo poo done.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Remulak posted:

I am a white person that lives in Indiana and has two teenage daughters.

Both of them are telling me that they have friends whose parents voted for Trump as a joke, figuring that Hillary had it in the bag.

The kids and parents, they say, are melting down. Is this a thing????

I'm tempted to say that they're just covering their asses with some sort of story here, but people are really, really loving stupid.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Zas posted:

i agree tho that economic populism needs to be a big part of the message. it doesn't necessarily have to come from a racist place either, i never thought it did w/bernie

:same: i think this is it, yeah. having an economic message doesnt innately counter all the identity politics garbage the left is hung up on. seriously that stuff is good, but you cant just rely on that without totally ignoring all the people that mostly just dont give a poo poo either way (which of course makes them bigots, according to the psycho parts of the left)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Venom Snake posted:

This guys name translates to golden matters of nothingness lmbo

Wait what? Seriously?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Montasque posted:

The only silver lining on this turd... Trump loves poo poo with his name on it so maybe America will get a bunch of infrastructure projects - I mean he wants to redo Laguardia... Maybe he'll make it into Trump International Airport... So much brass!

I literally considered this. I think we might get some infrastructure.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the definition of insanity is looking at a video of Gary Johnson and thinking "yep, this man could be president"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Montasque posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrality_Monument

quote:

The golden statue at the top of the monument used to rotate, always facing the sun, but now it is just fixed in one direction.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I went to vote and didn't see Goku as an option, and walked out complaining about what a lovely poll it was even though it did have checkboxes

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Phi230 posted:

I was thinking this exact thing!

I was thinking how we don't have leaders in the community to drive us forward anymore.

No more Malcoms. No more Huey Newtons. No more MLKs, no more JFKs or RFKs.

Who is our Woodie Guthrie? Bob Dylan?

Where are the prominent people?

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

Third parties only pulled just slightly more from Clinton than from Trump according to polling. Lots of people didn't want to vote for Trump, just not quite enough...

I had a feeling it was virtually equal attrition, so assuming if you paste those numbers into the popular vote and spread it across the nation, it doesn't make a difference outside accounting for 1.9m of the 6m missing dems. End result is still that they stayed home.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

look at this loving idiot arguing that you can have the carrot without the stick like that'll accomplish anything

lmbo you still believe the version of history they teach in American schools

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Augus posted:

the definition of insanity is looking at a video of Gary Johnson and thinking "yep, this man could be president"

[VERY GARY JOHNSON WITH TONGUE OUT VOICE] Hmm... maybe I haven't considered this.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Louisgod posted:

2012:
Johnson: 1,139,000
Stein: 396,000
Total: 1,535,000

2016:
Johnson: 4,061,000
Stein: 1,213,000
Total: 5,274,000

You can probably make that argument but the difference between 2012 and 2016 3rd parties (3.7m) doesn't cover the delta of Democratic turnout between 2012 and 2016 (6m).

If you peanut butter the Johnson and Stein increase across the country then it's marginally possible that Hillary may have won but we don't know if the mental defects that voted 3rd party were from Trump or Clinton attrition so it's a null point.

Hard lesson: yeah gently caress Johnson and Stein but especially gently caress the dems that stayed home.

It really depends on how many of those Johnson votes came from our side of the table. Stein's votes would have won Hillary Michigan and Wisconsin, but wouldn't have been enough to get her Pennsylvania or Florida. In Florida she would have needed to snap up every third party vote AND 25% of the protest votes that went to Johnson.

I find it pretty hard to believe that a majority of the Johnson voters were disaffected Dems as opposed to disaffected Repubs.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I was triggered by everything and made a dumb post in GBS going over the actual plausibility of Trumps "first 100 days". Curious if goons agree/disagree on what is feasible:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days

quote:

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

This will probably fail in congress

quote:

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

Starve the beast. Reduce the size of the government to make the government less effective so people get mad at the government for being ineffective so they reduce the size of the government....

quote:

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

More dumb buzzwords, probably wont be anything

quote:

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

Lol if anyone thinks that anything vaguely anti-corruption or anti-lobbying would ever be meaningfully spearheaded by a Trump presidency. Wont turn into law (isn't there already a period of time former congresspeople have to wait to become lobbyists?)

quote:

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

Take THAT, Corey Lewandoski! May turn into law because it sounds good and has no meaningful impact (isnt this already a rule?)

quote:

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

Trump thought of this after actually doing it himself.

quote:

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

Won't happen so long as the senate has to vote 2/3 on it

quote:

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Grats bernie bros, and also, China, who can now work to bring these nations into its own sphere

quote:

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

China will of course immediately surrender (this doesnt matter)

quote:

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

"Ok" - the reaction from businesses, who will do nothing, and no legislation changing anything will ever pass congress

quote:

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

DRILL BABY DRILL!

quote:

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

Keystone will almost certainly continue under his presidency, one of the few things he can actually do.

quote:

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

One of these two things will get congressional support, and the other won't. Can you guess which one!?

quote:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

This he can also do!

quote:

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

Stay safe RBG ghost :(. We get a bad scalia replacement

quote:

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

I actually don't know what this funding even pertains to, so i dont know its likelihood/impact

quote:

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

Might not happen, depending on if Congress helps fund a deportation force. I lean towards it being nothing but a slight uptick in deportations

quote:

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

Don't be born in Syria or any poo poo country and try to leave :smug:

quote:

Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.

Yay tax cuts for the rich and huge deficits!!! Sound familiar? Horrifyingly possible, especially by Ryan in the early days before anything bad can happen

quote:

End The Offshoring Act. Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.

This won't pass congress but its arguably one of the dumbest of the substantive policy desires.

quote:

American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.

A good thing, which means Paul Ryan will of course kill it... unless it means toll roads. So you better get used to toll roads!

quote:

School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

If we keep people dumb, they keep voting GOP. Will probably happen.

quote:

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

Repeal will happen. "Replace" will happen "eventually after we figure out what's going on" never

quote:

Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act. Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-side childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.

More tax deductions for the working poor! Oh, wait... (may or may not happen depending on Paul Ryan's mood)

quote:

End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

The wall won't happen, the prison sentences might cause they represent delicious contracts for constructing new prisons and staffing/running said prisons

quote:

Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.

Nothing will happen beyond some symbolic bs

quote:

Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values

Reminder: starve the beast doesn't apply to the military-industrial complex. Will probably happen, VA thing is good and might be killed by Paul Ryan

quote:

Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.

There's nothing that can be said about this that isn't dripping in sarcasm. I'll ask Treasury Secretary Mnuchin.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I had a feeling it was virtually equal attrition, so assuming if you paste those numbers into the popular vote and spread it across the nation, it doesn't make a difference outside accounting for 1.9m of the 6m missing dems. End result is still that they stayed home.

It's very close to this, yeah. Might have made a difference, but probably not enough to flip Wisconsin.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/Smife10/status/796508140317638657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

Look up your local parties offices and volunteering stuff. Get involved in local primaries. You can get a lot of influence by just being that fucker who always shows up to every event. People naturally flock to those willing to bear burdens to get poo poo done.

unironically thank you

http://asdc.democrats.org/state-parties/

u loving nerds do one single good thing with your loving life and yell at these idiots

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I never thought I'd see the day when I saw this, but:
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/796519163384700928

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Darkman Fanpage posted:

we can only hope. also im sorry for ever being a bitch to you. you were right. i was wrong. hillary was bad.
Namaste.

Now what about blockch*~ hey wait stop where are you taki-*

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Aaaaaand the cabinet shitheads step in from the shadows to gut 50 years of progression.

We are royally hosed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also regardless of third party protest votes, if more Dems had even been willing to show up to the polls she'd have won. That's not a problem with some other candidate, it's a problem with the candidate who is running.

It's worth noting that there's probably a not insignificant number of people who would have shown up/voted differently if every single prediction didn't have her winning in a loving landslide, too.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Why would you cut Medicare. Old people gonna be mad. Old people vote.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

iospace posted:

I never thought I'd see the day when I saw this, but:
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/796519163384700928

won't work, Calexit just doesn't have the same ring to it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*rises toward glass ceiling*

*BONK!*

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

It really depends on how many of those Johnson votes came from our side of the table. Stein's votes would have won Hillary Michigan and Wisconsin, but wouldn't have been enough to get her Pennsylvania or Florida. In Florida she would have needed to snap up every third party vote AND 25% of the protest votes that went to Johnson.

I find it pretty hard to believe that a majority of the Johnson voters were disaffected Dems as opposed to disaffected Repubs.

I voted for johnson because I'm a piece of poo poo idiot. I vote pretty evenly for D's and R's because I hate everyone. I like guns and hate god. I voted for weed, and also building a big new expensive library. I think there are a lot of people that don't feel beholden to either party. :shrug:

Edit: I don't mean I vote for D's and R's like I think they'll balance each other out, just like some republicans are cool and good, and some democrats are cool and good, and I will vote for cool and good people.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 10, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969

And you know what we almost had that spirit with Bernie but we were crushed.

But guess what, we were proven right in the end and a Trump presidency will unite us and temper us.

But ONLY if we ACT and we act right now.

Its more than just protest

We have to campaign on every level of government. We have to get lawyers into the system and fight in the courts. We have to protest. We have to do civil disobedience. We have to get a media firestorm keeping the outrage against the Trump machine every. single. day.

We have to start nominating candidates worth loving voting for.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

No one gives a gently caress. How do you protest somebody for winning an election.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This is the funniest loving thing that has ever happened on Earth.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Augus posted:

won't work, Calexit just doesn't have the same ring to it.

California Free State. #Califree sounds nice.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Double post.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

this, unfortunately, is an accurate post

god is real and he's actually satan

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Maybe don't call a bunch of voters you need to win deplorables?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

4th and 26

Now I made myself more sad :smith:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mastershakeman posted:

so correct me if I'm wrong but Hillary and the dnc worked together to kill any new Obama candidates in their infancy so she could have an easy primary and now there's no one ready to step up and people are desperately talking about Michelle and duckworth

the clintons are literal cancer, yes

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cephalocidal posted:

California Free State. #Califree sounds nice.

God these traitors are almost as bad as the traitorous confederacy. Except for slavery.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

I am a white person that lives in Indiana and has two teenage daughters.

Both of them are telling me that they have friends whose parents voted for Trump as a joke, figuring that Hillary had it in the bag.

The kids and parents, they say, are melting down. Is this a thing????

They should be fine, Trump loves teenage girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The left and Dems (not same things) are in full-blown panic mode. All hands on deck meetings, etc. Talk about broad united fronts to oppose Trump. And some of the hard left groups talking about militant resistance, but we'll see about that. Gonna be interesting, yo!

• Locked thread