Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nm posted:

That seems like a grand too much.

:shrug: not my money, all hers.

Every single Toyota or Honda was starting at $3 for 50k more miles and a tore up interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't know if you totally skipped over my first response for a reason, but the Prius V should fit the bill as a Prius with more room.

Yea thanks for the recommendation. I need to see one in-person and get behind the wheel but this looks like it could work for us. Didn't think the Vs would be in our price range but I'm finding plenty.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

khysanth posted:

Yea thanks for the recommendation. I need to see one in-person and get behind the wheel but this looks like it could work for us. Didn't think the Vs would be in our price range but I'm finding plenty.

My local dealer had one for $26000 - I was really surprised. My wife immediately had buyer's remorse over the Forester we bought a year ago.

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
Got a 1 year contract sales position in Ontario, Canada. They are giving me $700/month towards a car.

Since I will be returning my company vehicle during the transition, I'm seeking advice as to whether I should purchase a new/used car, or lease/rent a car for this position. I have no idea how big the territory is, and there is a possibility that the contract does not get renewed. I would also like to pocket as much of the difference in the car allowance as possible.

I could purchase a new car, but then be stuck with a depreciating asset afterwards. Although a car would be useful unless i land another position that provides a vehicle.
I could purchase a used vehicle, but run the risk of it being a PITA. I have no car maintenance experience, and would prefer to have it done professionally unless the economics say otherwise.
I could lease a car for 1 year? What about renting?

What does the goon hivemind suggest I do?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lease a Camry for dirt cheap and pocket the rest?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

khysanth posted:

In LA? Need a Prius V? I have one gently used.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hay guyz, when purchasing a new ride how much do you normally pay for vin etching? Does $695 sound reasonable?

Some dealers must think i am really loving stupid

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hay guyz, when purchasing a new ride how much do you normally pay for vin etching? Does $695 sound reasonable?

Holy gently caress that is insulting.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Dealers think everyone is stupid. They aren't. But they are victims of the shady business of selling cars where getting information is like pulling teeth, and even then you're not sure if that information is accurate. Amazon needs to start a concierge service for auto buying and end this poo poo.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
Proposed Budget: 8,000 down
New or Used: Depends
Body Style: Coupe/Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Commuter
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability

For brevity, I left a decent job and apartment in a big city to move back to the country with family. Family said they'd help, decided not to, now I'm moving back. I have 3 weeks to move.

The only issue with flying back is shipping this monster of a computer, however I've been car shopping for the past two months and I've sold myself on how much a car would make my life better.

I've gotten it down to two options. A 2008-2010 Accord or a new Civic. The Accord sells for about 8,000-10,000 and there are plenty of them around, even if I stuck with just branded dealerships. A lot of those dealerships offer 3 month/3,000 mile warranties which is also pretty fancy. Mileage is typically 80k-110k. With my 8,000 down I could either buy one for cash or get a loan from my bank for 2,000 and pay it off quick. I think I can get a Civic for around 18,500 out the door. Also that 8,000 is the most I can put down and leave myself ample enough money to travel back home and get an apartment. If everything goes smoothly I can spend 2,000 dollars more month after the move.

I've always been told new cars are for rich folks and chumps. I've tried to break things down to math the best I can. For instance, I tend to live within 5 miles of everywhere I go, so I don't put many miles on cars. So that means the Civic will have 10 more years of life on it, but then again it'd take 10-15 years for me to run that Accord into the ground. I haven't been in a wreck in a decade, but if I get hit in the Civic there's more money to be lost there. I'm looking for something to drive for 10-20 years, but if a trade-in is to happen, the Accord is the better deal.

The only cars I've ever driven have been old beaters who had a myriad of peculiarities. I hate being in such a time-sensitive situation. I'm visiting a friend further out in the country before I make the 800 mile journey home. I could stay there for probably up to a month but there's one gas station and no internet in the entire county. It'd be a good time to further test drive the Accord though before I risk breaking down on the trip.

I need someone to tell me that the Accord is only just been broken in and it'll be fine or that 8,000 dollars more on something I'll drive for 10+ years is worth it. Logically it'd make sense to buy the Accord, work up some money, sell Accord, get Civic for cash, however I really need something to run well for the next 6-12 months.

To toss in a little more info. I'm in the South and will continue to be there. I don't like the look of 2006-2014 civics at all. I don't care about gas mileage, so bigger car is usually always better but new accords/camrys are much more expensive than civics/corollas. I shopped for a CPO Camry SE for a while but I couldn't get anyone to back down from 16k-17k OTD on the ones I wanted. Everyone wanted to sell me a color I didn't want or an LE for 15k but wouldn't come down from sticker on the ones I wanted. Quite the headache.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 10, 2016

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: ~5k down, ~20k, could go more.
New or Used: Probably used because of budget.
Body Style: Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Weekend driving
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and longevity.

Moving cross country. I currently drive a 93' volvo 240 wagon. Its great, but I don't think its up for the cross country trip. I was looking at a volvo XC70? Good idea/bad idea?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Moving cross country. I currently drive a 93' volvo 240 wagon. Its great, but I don't think its up for the cross country trip.

:colbert: That car will never die.

Saint Celestine posted:

PriusV? Another Volvo is probably fine if you like the comfort and quietness, but it will have the usual luxury repair rates associated with it. A PriusV is going to get you all of the space while being much cheaper on average to repair. It is a bit more anemic performance wise, more road noise, and handles like a boat but overall fits the bill. If you floor it it gets up to speed just like any other car. The AC system is very nice on Auto.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Black Cat posted:

Proposed Budget: 8,000 down
New or Used: Depends
Body Style: Coupe/Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Commuter
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability

The $8,000 cash purchase will do everything you need, and another $10,000 on top of it for a similar but newer car won't get you much more.

Keep in mind that frequent very short trips (to the point where the engine can't get up to full temp for a few minutes of operation) are really hard on engines. If that's going to be most of your driving, it would be smart to look at hybrids or maybe even a pure electric.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

H110Hawk posted:

In LA? Need a Prius V? I have one gently used.

Yea in LA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saint Celestine posted:

Moving cross country. I currently drive a 93' volvo 240 wagon. Its great, but I don't think its up for the cross country trip. I was looking at a volvo XC70? Good idea/bad idea?

If you can find one, Acura TSX wagon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

The $8,000 cash purchase will do everything you need, and another $10,000 on top of it for a similar but newer car won't get you much more.

Keep in mind that frequent very short trips (to the point where the engine can't get up to full temp for a few minutes of operation) are really hard on engines. If that's going to be most of your driving, it would be smart to look at hybrids or maybe even a pure electric.

Echoing this all around, but maybe also consider the option of just taking a longer route once in a while to get things properly hot.

$8000 is enough to easily get you into a used Accord of some sort that, at that type of annual mileage, easily has another five to ten years of low maintenance life left in it. If you're really concerned about keeping operating costs low above all else, get a Prius.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

I usually let cars warm up, but if thats true then I'll definitely keep an eye on the temp gauge. Also most of my mechanical issues in the past have been involving the ignition system and I finally realized that I was putting as much or more wear on it than someone with a long commute. I've been trying to avoid hybrids. I know little enough about cars as it is. Also someone told me they're gay.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Black Cat posted:

I usually let cars warm up, but if thats true then I'll definitely keep an eye on the temp gauge. Also most of my mechanical issues in the past have been involving the ignition system and I finally realized that I was putting as much or more wear on it than someone with a long commute. I've been trying to avoid hybrids. I know little enough about cars as it is. Also someone told me they're gay.

The concern isn't the ignition system; it's mechanical wear and oil contamination. Letting your car sit idling to "warm up" can actually be counterproductive - because it's not burning much gas at idle, it takes a lot longer to get to operating temp. That means it spends longer running with crappy cold-metal tolerances, and blowby and gas getting around the rings into your oil. Unless you're still driving something with a carb, every manufacturer will tell you that the best way to warm up your car is to drive it.

Hybrids aren't complicated to drive or own, good planetary gearset hybrid systems like Toyota's are generally more reliable than plain ICE drivetrains, and they're built to handle frequent gas engine start/stop cycles.

If you need help with anxieties about your sexuality, this probably isn't the right thread for that. Good luck though!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't idle your car in the driveway to "let it warm up".

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Black Cat posted:

Also someone told me they're gay.

The gently caress?

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
I am considering buying this Prius. I have the dealer currently offering 10500 out the door. That price includes trade in of my 04 Jeep with no working engine. Is this 'decent'?

For reference, I'm a full time student/ft kitchen worker, whom needs an affordable, reliable ride as school is 40m away, 5 days a week.

http://www.toyotaofmurfreesboro.com/used-Murfreesboro-2012-Toyota-Prius-Two-JTDKN3DU3C5398126

Thank you

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

:colbert: That car will never die.

The 93' volvo has a minor ignition problem, but should I just put more money into it and drive it cross country?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My friend is having twins and he's looking for a car that can fit him with a car seat behind him. Here's liking the CX5, but I figured I'd ask and see if there are any things to watch out for on them. He may go anywhere from 5 years old used to new, so if there are years to stay away from, that's what I'm looking for

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Toxx posted:

I am considering buying this Prius. I have the dealer currently offering 10500 out the door. That price includes trade in of my 04 Jeep with no working engine. Is this 'decent'?

For reference, I'm a full time student/ft kitchen worker, whom needs an affordable, reliable ride as school is 40m away, 5 days a week.

http://www.toyotaofmurfreesboro.com/used-Murfreesboro-2012-Toyota-Prius-Two-JTDKN3DU3C5398126

Thank you

What's with the weaselly 'warranty eligible' thingy when the odometer is clearly past the 50k eligibility?

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

What's with the weaselly 'warranty eligible' thingy when the odometer is clearly past the 50k eligibility?

Basically they offered it to me while negotiating. They're waiving the mileage requirement. The original post tax, fee price was just shy of $13k with only the dealers 30 day warranty

Toxx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 12, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toxx posted:

Thank you

Those "lifetime warranty" things are bullshit and have enough fine print to get out of basically anything.
However, a prius probably won't need it anyhow. I think 10k OTD is a pretty decent price, but I'm not up on prius prices these days.

Get it PPIed.

edit: Carfax says it has an open recall. Make sure they do it before you take delivery.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Basically every car in America has an open recall due to the Takata airbag recall. Not really relevant

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ammanas posted:

Basically every car in America has an open recall due to the Takata airbag recall. Not really relevant

It isn't a takata airbag issue. It is an airbag issue, but not that one. This is a randomly inflating airbag.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Takata is largely Honda.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ahhh... No? Tons of cars have them and are being recalled. Years worth of work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Honda 21 million

Total? 32-34 million depending on NHTSA estimates

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

The 93' volvo has a minor ignition problem, but should I just put more money into it and drive it cross country?

What's the problem?

It'll take a lot of repair work to add up to a newish XC70. If it's got a bunch of small-to-medium issues, if you've run out of ideas for fixing it, or if you just want a new car and are willing to spend the money, sure, go for it. But, if you're mostly happy with the car, it's almost always better to fix it rather than trade it in.

I'd just get AAA Premier for the trip. If you can get 200 miles away from your starting point, you can probably make it the rest of the way.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The problem with driving the Volvo across country is that every time you stop for gas or at a rest stop or whatever is that a ton of gay people will hit on you every time, generally with dick out. Gay people are in really good shape, so if you're not into MMA you won't be able to fight them off, so if you're not interested in catching so many dicks every day you might look at a different brand.

I mean I'm not really homo but I think everyone should suck a dick at least once or twice in their life. Try it out you''ll be fine.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
All kinds of weird and awkward people will try complimenting your car if you're in an old Volvo or VW. Then they'll ask if you're selling it. Then they want to know your email/phone/facebook info. It's part of life.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think associations with the "VW" brand have changed substantially in the past couple years, random strangers on the street will not want to buy your GTI anymore. In this world of increasing uncertainty I can promise you that, if nothing more.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Toxx posted:

Thank you

KBB says that the $10500 is a fair purchase price, so you're basically giving away the Jeep. If you're comfortable doing that, that's up to you. The dealership is just going to sell the Jeep to a surplus auction, so anything they make if free money on top of what you paid. Add to that you'll have to transport the Jeep to them, and you're going to lose money.

Also, at some point, you're looking at a battery replacement for the Prius - it may not be for years, or it may be at 100k. It appears to be a function of time, so you should be ok, but it's something you need to be aware of.

Oh, and extended warranties should not be a consideration to you - they very rarely cover anything that is going to happen (you aren't going to blow a Prius engine or have the tranny fall out.) If they throw it in for free, fine, but do not think of it as added value.

Here's what I'd do if I was you - take the Jeep off the table and tell them you'll pay $10500 out the door. You can either advertise the Jeep for a grand on Craigslist or donate it to one of the many charities that take cars and get the tax writeoff.

Finally, look around - if you can find another dealership in the area, tell them that these guys offered you a 2012 Prius 2 for $10500 - ask the other dealer if they can do better. Play them off of each other. It's a time consuming pain in the rear end, but it does work, and it will save you money in the long run.

skeptic22
Aug 13, 2004
Immaculate
Proposed Budget: $10,000. Flexible up to $15,000 if there is a compelling reason.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, smallish hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes to/from work and daycare. 25 miles a day.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety during a collision, fuel efficiency

I'm interested primarily in a used Prius or Fit. But if there is a way to get a vehicle with advanced safety features (lots of airbags, any kind of collision avoidance/lane keeping, etc) used at my price point outside the conventional wisdom I would be interested.

If I should stick to Prius or Fit, advice on a mileage target or condition target for my price point would be welcome.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I'm new to AI and I wasn't sure if I should post in this thread or the question thread...

Anyway I'm looking at importing a Toyota Landcruiser 70 series pick-up, however I am not sure if these guys are legit or not. Anyone use them before?

I tried googling them and they brought up a few websites from a few years ago. But I am not seeing a lot of positive or a lot of negative reviews period. (In a forum format.)

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/18864/Toyota/Land+Cruiser/car-for-sale.html

I am guessing it'll be about 14k for the truck plus another 2-3k for me to get a broker to get it from the dock.

I know I know I know it is RHD but...... its almost perfect otherwise. (Although I am still waiting for them to send me photos of the motor and the bottom of the frame.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 16, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Senor P. posted:

Anyway I'm looking at importing a Toyota Landcruiser 70 series pick-up, however I am not sure if these guys are legit or not. Anyone use them before?

I tried googling them and they brought up a few websites from a few years ago. But I am not seeing a lot of positive or a lot of negative reviews period. (In a forum format.)

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/18864/Toyota/Land+Cruiser/car-for-sale.html

I know I know I know it is RHD but...... its almost perfect otherwise. (Although I am still waiting for them to send me photos of the motor and the bottom of the frame.)

I talked to a coworker who very recently imported a Nissan Skyline (1, 2. It is amazing to listen to. ) from Japan. He said that japan-partner.com is very hit or miss, but when it misses it goes south quickly. You would need to have an independent inspection done of the vehicle before you buy it, not by the person japan-partner.com suggests. He used pistonheads.com to purchase, "Horizon Auto Shippers" for the import into the USA, $350 for paperwork, plus setting him up with shipping which is $1200-1700 FOB. He doesn't remember who did the exporting.

This is all obviously anecdotal, but strange cars seem to be his thing. Don't let people get you down on RHD. If it's good enough for the post office, it's good enough for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hi all, potential first-time car buyer here. My poor '99 Ford Taurus exploded and caught fire the other day (luckily the flame snuffed itself out fairly quickly), and I'm looking into buying another vehicle. I haven't actually had my Taurus checked out yet, but I wanted to get a head start on the search, since this'll be my first time buying a car.

I think I'd like some sort of reliable, bang-for-my-buck pickup. While my Taurus was rather spacious with a large trunk, I was always frustrated by its relatively limited space (I've had to rent two U-hauls in the last few weeks). I think the towing capacity, utility, and offroad capabilities of a small- to mid-sized pickup would be great. Plus, I'd like to get something I can throw a shell on and go traveling / camping out of.

I don't have a hard budget in mind. Right now I'm just trying to see what my options are, but I'm definitely looking for something used.

Reliability and minimal cost of ownership are important to me. I'm looking for something that fits my need without costing an arm and a leg (both in initial cost and maintenance), and I cannot afford another emergency vehicular expense at the moment. Preferably 4-door, or at least 4+-seat. Color/size/style doesn't really matter to me; I'll choose function over form every time. Interior is fairly important to me, comfortable seats, ergonomics, climate control, decent sound system, etc.

Something about the size of a Toyota Tundra seems about right, though I've never actually driven/researched one, and I don't really know that much about vehicles to begin with.

Many thanks!